You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Any experience thus far with new BB/BC vs. DD rule (i.e. caliber above 280 mm = Damage per AP shell = 10%)?

20 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,928 posts
8,288 battles

Hi all,

Any experience thus far with new BB/BC vs. DD rule (i.e. caliber above 280 mm = Damage per AP shell = 10%)?

"Update 0.7.11: Rule, Britannia!"

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/

Game Mechanics

In Update 0.7.11 we are changing the damage mechanics of AP shells, to prevent rare cases where large-caliber shells inflicted excessive damage to destroyers. This occurred when a shell hit destroyer's armor at a sharp angle. The thickness of the effective armor allowed the shell to arm and cause considerable damage inside the ship's hull.

ad181eb8-dcf6-11e8-b82e-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

The standard damage that destroyers normally receive from a heavy shell hitting their hull should be equal to the damage caused by an over-penetrating shell. However, in the situation mentioned above, the received damage value exceeded that of an over-penetration, amounting to approximately 1/3 of a shell's maximum damage. Thus, a tiny destroyer with a pool of HP that could hardly be called impressively large, had the potential to lose most of her health points as a result of a single hit.

In Update 0.7.11, we introduce a limit on the maximum damage that an AP shell can cause to all destroyers, with the exception of Khabarovsk and Harugumo. Damage to a ship's HP caused by an AP shell with a caliber of 280 mm and larger, will no longer exceed 10% of the maximum possible damage that such shell may cause. Although 10% might seem to be rather a small value, a hit of this type will still inflict significant damage to destroyers.

This change won’t affect destroyers Harugumo and Khabarovsk, because the damage they currently take is already within expected limits. Any further reduction would make these two ships too powerful.

This adjustment will certainly change the course of encounters between destroyers and larger ships carrying main battery guns with a caliber of 280 mm and above. Now, their Captains will have to be more cautious when selecting which shell type to use, being sure to take into account the circumstances of a given situation in battle. A close-range salvo with AP shells will still cause considerable damage to a destroyer, making her think twice before mounting a close quarters torpedo attack upon an enemy ship.

We have also changed the mechanics of the torpedo damage dealt to a completely destroyed part of a ship. Now, a torpedo hitting a ship in any such part will cause guaranteed damage of 10% of the maximum damage it could potentially cause. This will prevent situations in which a destroyer could suffer multiple torpedo hits, but stay afloat simply because the affected part of her hull had no HP left to lose.

The specified changes may, of course, affect the combat performance of ships. But rest assured, we will carefully monitor player statistics and take all required measures should the combat performance of any ships drop below established limits.

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
14,130 posts
10,577 battles

BB still do good damage with AP, but not crippling damage.

I still shoot AP on my first salvo and change over to HE more often, but not always.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,934 posts
9 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Any experience thus far with new BB/BC vs. DD rule (...) ?

Leo "Apollo11"

Sure. I'm being considerably more often reported in my Akizuki and Kitakaze...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[W-C]
Players
371 posts
1,636 battles
15 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

BB still do good damage with AP, but not crippling damage.

I still shoot AP on my first salvo and change over to HE more often, but not always.

^^This basically. And I am constantly thinking more about ammo type - which is a good thing! And considering the merits of EL...:cap_hmm:

Apart from that - it probably subconsciously encourages me to be a bit less aggressive? (maybe not too bad - I still tend to commit too early in my NC)

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
154 posts

Nice to go nose in to a B.B. and know  even if he’s lucky he’ll only get maybe 3 overpens worth of damage.

Still, the first rounds fired from my black Tirpitz were HE much to a Cossack’s disgust.

I don’t agree with the change right now but we’ll see.

Players
401 posts
2,993 battles

Damage is still high, but reasonable now. I can't chunk DD's in my Lyon liek I used to, but you can still do 3-4k with AP, which is enough to scare them away. If you have HE loaded, the results can be terrifying (16 guns are hard to dodge!)

Still, I bet cruisers with 8 inch guns tear apart DD's. I'd imagine a Moskva or Henri IV firing AP at a DD must still be frightening, as their guns just slip under the limit.

• Cool 2

[OP]
Beta Tester
217 posts
2,517 battles

Already fired with HE before on a DD with my Yamato. 10k damage, because the guy was broadside. To my surprise all of his deck armament was still available.
Where I still need to get expert loader for my Yamato my Montana is all setup with Halsey :3

5 minutes ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Damage is still high, but reasonable now. I can't chunk DD's in my Lyon liek I used to, but you can still do 3-4k with AP, which is enough to scare them away. If you have HE loaded, the results can be terrifying (16 guns are hard to dodge!)

Still, I bet cruisers with 8 inch guns tear apart DD's. I'd imagine a Moskva or Henri IV firing AP at a DD must still be frightening, as their guns just slip under the limit.

Not really, because those cruisers can't overmatch DD armour and can thus be angled against.

[FAILS]
Players
79 posts
12,355 battles

Overall, it's nice that DDs don't get crippled immediately any more and BBs actually have to consider their ammo choice. However, I find it a bit confusing that you still get penetration ribbons despite only getting overpen damage. Should simply be overpen ribbons imo.

[I401]
Beta Tester
932 posts
7,691 battles

Haragumo and Khaba still get blapped right?

Whats the second best gunboat option, Gearing/Daring?

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,043 posts
5,606 battles

Did 13k dmg to a DD last nigh with my BB (and it wasn't IJN gunboat or russian one). Haven't noticed such big difference tbh. Average dmg is still around 5k per salvo (a good salvo).

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
154 posts
4 minutes ago, _DeathWing_ said:

Did 13k dmg to a DD last nigh with my BB (and it wasn't IJN gunboat or russian one). Haven't noticed such big difference tbh. Average dmg is still around 5k per salvo (a good salvo).

With ap? That’s what 10 hits?

[SOCKS]
Players
771 posts
5,479 battles

Only a few DDs were really vulnerable to AP on a consistent basis. Most weren't, but for those few that were it was a pain in the butt.

German DDs in general, Gearing in particular, probably Daring too, and a couple more. Those would get full AP pens even when square broadside on to the incoming fire. The rest were already mostly safe from those AP massive damage hits most of the time (still random crap happened here and there), but those were the consistent sufferers.

The general landscape hasn't changed much as a result, except for those particular ships. I still think the change is suboptimal in general, but has improved things for them. Which is good ,because it made no damned sense that they had to eat that utter load of BS damage in the first place.

As for when I'm playing BBs I just don't bother changing ammo. With a handful of exceptions the difference between an AP overpen and a HE hit is a few hundred damage per shell. It's just not worth the time of changing loadouts and then find a magnificent broadside-on Des Moines 10km away and in front of you when you're loading HE.

If it's late game and all that's left is a DD, sure, I'll load HE. But other than that...AP it is. just like before (I also did swap for HE in those occasions anyway so...) 

Players
3,398 posts
7,040 battles
13 minutes ago, kfa said:

Haragumo and Khaba still get blapped right?

Whats the second best gunboat option, Gearing/Daring?

Both need to be somewhat uncomfortably close in smoke to make use of these guns and/or behind island. Grozo might be substitute for open waters dakka dakka... Or go tier lower to Tashkent and Kitakaze. Tash is bordering on awesome now, with 15.2km range, quick turning turrets and workable torps. Kita loses 20% in dakka department, while having decent camo, speed and non BB turning radius, so brave souls might actually try open water gunnery.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,381 posts
12,682 battles
15 minutes ago, _DeathWing_ said:

Thats is good. It was those 15k dmg AP salvos that was the problem. 

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,043 posts
5,606 battles
2 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Thats is good. It was those 15k dmg AP salvos that was the problem. 

This was AP. And when a dd no matter which one loses 13k dmg actually anything above 10k is a lot. 

[SCRUB]
Players
1,381 posts
12,682 battles
1 hour ago, _DeathWing_ said:

This was AP. And when a dd no matter which one loses 13k dmg actually anything above 10k is a lot. 

Yep, but alot more shells have to hit you in order to do the same potential dmg as before. Which is good imo. 

[SM0KE]
Players
1,882 posts
5,337 battles

I haven't played any BBs against real people since the change (due to sucking in them), but in an Op run-out last night, the DDs seemed to be rather more survivable against AP than previously - which we would expect.

For a potato BB driver it doesn't seem to change a huge amount, although it increases the likelihood of my switching to HE when facing a DD (after firing the already loaded AP, of course)...

[ADRIA]
Players
3,840 posts
6,560 battles
6 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

And considering the merits of EL...:cap_hmm:

Just 5 cases in the game where it's viable on a BB:

• 3x USN special captains
  • Scharnhorst
  • Rpublic with Reload or Legendary mod in 6th slot

Everything else takes too long making the use of it pointless waste of time

• Cool 1