Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

Should Radio Location be removed?

Should Radio Location be removed?  

146 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Radio Location be removed?

    • Yes.
    • No.
    • It should remain, but not in its current form.
    • I don't care.

45 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
175 posts
8,800 battles

I use it on all DD's that I have. It allows me to avoid some traps. Now every ambush is less unexpected and I like that.

On other hand up until tier 5 there should be no possibility to use more than 10pts to level the field a bit as it makes seal clubbing easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
135 posts
2 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

I use it on all DD's that I have. It allows me to avoid some traps. Now every ambush is less unexpected and I like that.

On other hand up until tier 5 there should be no possibility to use more than 10pts to level the field a bit as it makes seal clubbing easier.

So if some1 has the personal skill to ambush you (avoids getting detected by you and your team using his own, accquired playing skills), all his effort gets destroyed by this one captain skill, that has nothing to do with your own ability to play the game...that's exactly what I mean with "dumbing down" the game and giving unfair information...it's not you actively avoiding the ambush. you would'nt even know some1 is thete without it. but that was/is what Destroyers rely on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
[TTT]
Moderator
1,193 posts
11,884 battles
4 hours ago, Gleb_Reawer said:

 

I have been getting the same reaction from BB's and Cruisers by switching who I target with my torps. Maybe PT is bugged and shows torpedo aim too? I'll have to bug one of my clan mates tonight so I can confirm whether it does or not

 

Edit: OT hated the RL/RPF when they introduced it, now I'm not sure if it's good or bad

 

On PT, I will link my own video here (spoiler: it only works on main battery guns)

 

On RL, I hate it in its current form. I am probably biased as I play mainly DDs but I wish it were something like a radar ping once every X amount of time, rather than its current always on iteration.

I am glad most BBs don't tend to spec either PT or RL cause then even in a 1v1, there's nothing you could do as a DD. They would know exactly where you are and when you are switching to torpedoes to fire at him. And I think a lot of BB specs could accommodate both skills.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
175 posts
8,800 battles
1 hour ago, Kutfroat said:

with "dumbing down" the game and giving unfair information

Yes it is "dumbing down" the game, I do not see a problem with that.

Taking under consideration that most players are to stupid to press "w" what would you expect from WG, to close servers? (exaggeration by far, but you get the point). Some things have to be simplified so more people can enjoy it.

I have no idea how it can be unfair information if it is available to everyone if you choose to use it. It is like saying minimap is unfair advantage because someone else have his closed. Their choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
4,645 posts
6,373 battles
2 hours ago, Kutfroat said:

So if some1 has the personal skill to ambush you (avoids getting detected by you and your team using his own, accquired playing skills), all his effort gets destroyed by this one captain skill, that has nothing to do with your own ability to play the game...that's exactly what I mean with "dumbing down" the game and giving unfair information...it's not you actively avoiding the ambush. you would'nt even know some1 is thete without it. but that was/is what Destroyers rely on.

 

Predicting movement of the enemy and blindtorping him with information from RPF is also a skill :fish_book:

And as i said: The enemy gets information too, since it shows that he is located.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Moderator
1,443 posts
5,924 battles

Dear OP,

First of all, guessing is not a skill at all..

One individual believing that he can guess any unknown with no or a shred of information is called gamblers fallacy!

 

Gathering information and putting that informatin in a good use is the real skill here.

Even though that must involve a part of guessing too.

So, RPF does not remove skill from the game in contrary It actually widens the gap between the skillful and skilles players.

For example, I can still not RPF torp the enemy but some people can do that very successfully.

If there wouldn't be the RPF skill, torping the undetected enemy DD will purely chance and there wouldn't be any display of skill between me and the guys who can do that.

 

But what we can discuss is,

Does RPF gives too much information?

Some can say yes, some can say no.. For me, RPF is a very important skill to have for DD captains and some of my CA/CL captains.

and I do not think it gives too much info. It just gives a rough estimation with no distance data. and yes it gives advantages on 1v1 situations,

but I believe that is the point. So I don't think it should be removed.

 

However,

Having a 19 point captain on low tiers, can be very unfair to the new players.

So If you ask me, WG can do something like that, "Tier 4 Skills will not work under (including) tier 5"

Or something similer.

 

Because when you have a 19 point captain in your V25 with RPF and CE...

That is just unfair.. really unfair..

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,166 posts
245 battles

Hmm, i’ve never used the skill myself but i can see why its useful since i’ve watched flamu and jongles use it in their vids and allows for a good estimation of guesswork as to what could be in front of you, especially when paired with other forms of information,

 

speaking of witch i’ve noticed the skill isn’t great on it’s but paired up with target prioity, last known position and anything else and it does become a lot stronger in terms of looking at what is most likely to be there when all of that information is collated then used in real time.

 

im neutral atm due to lack of experience of using said perk however. And that it seems to be a very minmax skill in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ASEET]
Players
220 posts
6,693 battles
5 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

 

On PT, I will link my own video here (spoiler: it only works on main battery guns)

.

 

Thanks, and I guess my clan mates would thank you too for not having me waste their time. :Smile_medal:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
361 posts
8,355 battles

I don't like the skill as it takes away using your brain to work out where the enemy DD is as it just tells you. You should be able to take clues from observing where torps have come from, last known position, any caps that have been flipped and the general battle situation putting yourself in his shoes to work out his rough location, with this you can launch blind torps without the 'skill'. I have it currently only on my Z-52 and whenever I Blind torp a DD with it I feel like an absolute scumbag as he did nothing wrong... he could have just run away until not located anymore, but that just promotes more passive play which is exactly what this game doesn't need.

 

I think someone mentioned that it doesn't give the distance to target, well you can work it out by using other ships spotted near you which are detected but not the one that RL has picked up and your own detection radius, also taking into account the possible speed and last known position all add to the information giving you a very accurate picture of exactly where he is and what bearing he is taking, with out the skill you can kinda work out a rough search area he most likely will be in which is purely using your own knowledge.

 

The fact that it seems to be a must have skill in competitive play makes it just as bad as IFHE being a must have on Light cruisers and concealment being on almost every ship bar a few exceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
430 posts
4,209 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

I don't like the skill as it takes away using your brain to work out where the enemy DD is as it just tells you. You should be able to take clues from observing where torps have come from, last known position, any caps that have been flipped and the general battle situation putting yourself in his shoes to work out his rough location, with this you can launch blind torps without the 'skill'. I have it currently only on my Z-52 and whenever I Blind torp a DD with it I feel like an absolute scumbag as he did nothing wrong... he could have just run away until not located anymore, but that just promotes more passive play which is exactly what this game doesn't need.

 

I think someone mentioned that it doesn't give the distance to target, well you can work it out by using other ships spotted near you which are detected but not the one that RL has picked up and your own detection radius, also taking into account the possible speed and last known position all add to the information giving you a very accurate picture of exactly where he is and what bearing he is taking, with out the skill you can kinda work out a rough search area he most likely will be in which is purely using your own knowledge.

 

The fact that it seems to be a must have skill in competitive play makes it just as bad as IFHE being a must have on Light cruisers and concealment being on almost every ship bar a few exceptions.

Errm... isn't working out all the things you listed called using your brain? :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
361 posts
8,355 battles
16 minutes ago, mrk421 said:

Errm... isn't working out all the things you listed called using your brain? :Smile_hiding:

 

The issue is that for the most part using you brain is made much easier as you start off knowing the Direction, and thus if you use your head you can basically pinpoint a completely undetected enemy, this is clearly too much information, plus knowing the bearing makes working out the rest that much easier. My issue is that with too much information obtained it removes a lot of counter-play other than runaway as rather than a search area, you know exactly where he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_FIN_]
Players
87 posts
2,731 battles

Radio Location is fine but Priority Target is not. Or fix Priority Target to only include ships that are sighted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Moderator
1,443 posts
5,924 battles
On 11/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, Chaos_Umbra said:

I don't like the skill as it takes away using your brain to work out where the enemy DD is as it just tells you. You should be able to take clues from observing where torps have come from, last known position, any caps that have been flipped and the general battle situation putting yourself in his shoes to work out his rough location, with this you can launch blind torps without the 'skill'. I have it currently only on my Z-52 and whenever I Blind torp a DD with it I feel like an absolute scumbag as he did nothing wrong... he could have just run away until not located anymore, but that just promotes more passive play which is exactly what this game doesn't need.

 

I think someone mentioned that it doesn't give the distance to target, well you can work it out by using other ships spotted near you which are detected but not the one that RL has picked up and your own detection radius, also taking into account the possible speed and last known position all add to the information giving you a very accurate picture of exactly where he is and what bearing he is taking, with out the skill you can kinda work out a rough search area he most likely will be in which is purely using your own knowledge.

 

The fact that it seems to be a must have skill in competitive play makes it just as bad as IFHE being a must have on Light cruisers and concealment being on almost every ship bar a few exceptions.

If you think these are hard clues to solve and call these using your brain, I have bad news for you.

If any DD, who has the "Located" info on their screen and get blind torped by you, it's their fault and yes they did something very very wrong, you don't need to feel like a scumbag.

And RPF does not direct you to the nearest enemy ship,

Imagine a circle divived into 22,5 degree parts,

The RPF indicator points to the part that nearest Ship is in.

 

And BTW, I think this is actually a good example of using your brain..

 

image.thumb.png.e144340bd362c2bd9bdce91d5b7828fd.png

image.thumb.png.ef6b31b975b74dea282bc36f3c1f904b.png

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THROW]
Players
663 posts
21,439 battles
11 minutes ago, chazwozza said:

Wall hacking game breaker as far as I’m concerned takes out any ambush/flank attacks imagine if we all used it

Is that sarcasm or are you being serious? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Players
3,266 posts
12,813 battles
10 minutes ago, chazwozza said:

Wall hacking game breaker as far as I’m concerned takes out any ambush/flank attacks imagine if we all used it

This is a clear negative to RL. Visual spotting for info is a fun aspect of the game. Makes mid tier ambushes more exciting. Otoh radars/hydros spotting through islands kind of already ruins most island ambushes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
361 posts
8,355 battles
11 hours ago, Excavatus said:

Imagine a circle divived into 22,5 degree parts,

 

I think having that 22.5 Deg bearing is more than enough info to work out what square they are in, and narrow enough to flood it with torps, but it also allows you to know what direction they are heading as the indicator moves, which combined with looking at the mini map you can rather easily work out what route they are taking, so as you know the route and their current position with practice you can just drop torps into the path they will take and will either score a hit or force them to come towards you which isn't good for a Shima if he is forced closer to lets say a Z-52...

 

You can do this without RL but it is basically down to experience and luck, such as knowing which route an enemy DD is likely to take into a cap, the speed their ship is capable of and how long since the start of the match (when it comes to the first engagement).

Heck I nearly caught a Blyska with Duca torps doing this without RL while they didn't land it forced him to bail allowing us to get the B cap which is a major advantage. If you can do it without, adding RL just give far too much of an advantage, plus you could get the same effect without having to fire torps as the DD could just bail from being located, hence promoting passive play, which is the last thing this game needs more of...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,187 posts
2,416 battles

A week has passed since I posted this thread, and I think it's now safe to sum up the results: Of those who have voted, roughly twice as many want to keep the 'Radio Location' skill, as those who want to remove it.

This result, as well as the constructive debate, has proved most instructive. My thanks to everyone who has taken their time to participate!

:Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
1,582 posts
13,490 battles

I don't like it. I use it on almost all my DD's but only because its so strong.

The amont of times i have RPF torped enemy DD's without them even being spotted once is retarded. Gives you way to much information on where enemy ships are. If you learn how to abuse RPF you will know exactly where an enemy DD will go and torp that spot. More often than not it end up in a dev strike.

 

And that is just one of uses RPF has.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×