You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nautical_Metaphor

PSA: Aircraft Carrier bots removed from four Operations

32 comments in this topic

Players
999 posts
8,214 battles

From

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/#operations

"Four operations—Newport, Narai, Aegis, and Killer Whale—had their lineups of participating ships changed slightly.

• In Operation Newport, aircraft carriers Zuiho, Hiryu, and Lexington were replaced with Furutaka, Izumo, and Baltimore, respectively.
  • In Operation Narai, the enemy aircraft carrier Ranger was replaced with battleship New York, and Lexington is no longer able to use aircraft. We also streamlined the process of how enemy ships appear. Now, the same ships will appear at certain times.
  • In Operation Aegis, all enemy aircraft carriers were replaced with Japanese battleships, and the Allied aircraft carrier was replaced with Baltimore.
  • In Operation Killer Whale, all enemy aircraft carriers were replaced with German and Japanese battleships."

I haven't checked / can't remember off the cuff if that's actually all the carriers in Newport and Narai, but in any event, very significantly or even completely reduced air threat in these four operations, so basically no need  to bring the Defensive AA consumable any more.

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
2,070 posts
5,172 battles

So they need to nerf and dumb down even the simplest aspects of the game, interesting...

[CATS]
Players
14,135 posts
10,577 battles

The CV will be back as soon as the new CV gameplay is finalized and they programmed a decent bot algorithm for the new mechanic.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[W-C]
Players
371 posts
1,636 battles

I assume they're removed in preparation for the aircraft gameplay changes - i.e. it's not because it's a CV per se, but rather because they need to figure out the bot ai for the planes!?

Wonder what that means for Cherry Blossom (edit: and Dynamo) in the meantime as it's not in that list :cap_hmm:

[DTABM]
Players
48 posts
2,123 battles

Well, the new CV mechanics are not there, so that's not the reason for the removal. My guess is that they wanted to limit free XP farming on shooting down planes.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,185 posts
10,155 battles

Yes .. make Ops even easier .. :cap_old:

[SCRUB]
Players
7,181 posts
9,335 battles

Wow.

Is WG telling us the average Operation player can't even handle CV bots? Or do they simply hate CVs so much they're culling their own bots now?

I just ... what?

I got so many questions @Crysantos.

[PORT]
Modder
1,474 posts
10,752 battles

Well, speaking from the Testserver, this makes some operations actually harder, as these CVs are usually easier to sink than the BBs - and can one-shoot cruisers. This makes DDs more valuable for some operations, so all-in-all not a bad choice IMO.

Players
756 posts
11,847 battles

Yes, those are all the bot CVs in Newport (Zuiho in the second wave, Hiryu in the last wave if the perimeter is breached, Lex as friendly if not) and Narai (Lex sailing along the eastern border, Ranger in the counterattack waves, the second to last one IIRC).

It's quite the dumbing down in some key aspects and I agree that it certainly means no need for AA speccing in those operations. From a CV player perspective (I've completed all of them with 5 stars using carriers) it looks like having a field day, because the ships that could represent a bit of work are now replaced with others lacking DefAA, so they can be targeted with more ease unless they stick to ships equipped with the consumable (basically American and Japanese cruisers, T6 and above).

The only change I don't quite get how it would work is switching the friendly Saipan for a Baltimore in Aegis: if its spawn is kept the same, that Baltimore is going to be useless for a long period of time.

Salute.

[JRM]
Players
825 posts
12,822 battles

Torp dds (especially those with trb) just got a hellova more interesting as a pick for those ops

[SCRUB]
Players
7,181 posts
9,335 battles
32 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Torp dds (especially those with trb) just got a hellova more interesting as a pick for those ops

Even with TRB, DDs are a suboptimal pick given that in operations really all you need/want is a crapton of dpm. Torpedoes don't really help even with TRB, plus bots are pretty good at dodging torps and even better at shooting DDs.

• Cool 1

Players
999 posts
8,214 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Aotearas sagte:

Even with TRB, DDs are a suboptimal pick given that in operations really all you need/want is a crapton of dpm.

Only if you're not a team player.

In the latest iterations of these OPs before this last carrier removal, DDs hat gotten a lot more viable and actually a useful choice, at least in Narai and Aegis. Which I thought was nice.

Players
2,239 posts
6,232 battles

Another possibility why the bot carriers got deplained or outright removed, is that they can now collect stats with the older RTS carriers and the newer arcady carriers and compare their performance that way.

It would be a useful way to gather data in case the CV rework takes months from now and it would probably make balancing the bot carriers in these ops a bit easier.

[NWP]
Players
3,218 posts
5,612 battles

Playing Killer Whale became kinda boring in a CV now...

Pure 100% damage farming, before atleast you had to pretend to shutdown the Bot CVs:cap_haloween:

On another note that got me easy 2x Major Contribution in my Ryujo.

And ppl are still too stupid that they fail this OP by simply running away from the Exit zone :cap_old:

• Funny 1

Players
3,114 posts
5,450 battles
8 hours ago, lup3s said:

Spoiler

Hey... they still manage to fail even without them... he sat there another 70 sec until the bots finaly managed to rush him down & kill him. Also: best bunch of killstealers ive ever seen. Lost 1 star because they didnt care to stop the Kolberg entering in the harbor, but ofc took the kill from me when it was at 1k health. Then the sky was full of shells. Not the first occasion as you can prolly imagine, looking at my dmg & 0 kills.shot-18_11.22_20_50.35-0403.thumb.jpg.258d22000b314edf2fcd3015726402ee.jpg

Nothing about Dynamo tho. But that operations cant stay the same after CW rework either - and I assume, the changes are because of the CW-rework.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
1,436 posts
5,781 battles
7 hours ago, lup3s said:

No, the opposite.

A bb takes much longer to burn down than to sink a cv.

that will increase the work load in Killer whale (against the clock)

In Newport we will not worry about fleeing cvs but those two battleships will increase the pushing power of the bots.

In Aegis, no way two or three cruisers can face three bbs in the open where cvs used to be.

Funny thing, all red bots cv's are replaced by bbs, all  green bots cvs are replace by cruisers.

I don't remember where I eared this, but wargaming was surprised by the success of co-op , a mode that was initially developed to test ships, etc. So, they made PVEs, now they want  to make a viable mode to earn things or something like that (I think it was sub Octavian in an interview).

And according to a sample of 174 (100% of that universe) World of warships players, regarding the changes they made in the "experimental" UF (one of the operations where they tested that).

128 players (73.56%) voted to keep as it used to be, and 46 players (26.44%) welcomed the changes.

Could this changes in the additional operations mark a new way how we look at them?

[NWP]
Players
3,218 posts
5,612 battles
4 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

No, the opposite.

A bb takes much longer to burn down than to sink a cv.

Thats true, but the Bot CV poses a much larger threat throughout the game, because he can strike without being spotted.

Today from Killer Whale:

- If you play CV yourself, it became boring because you could solely farm damage. Bot CVs are in that sense more annoying that human CV players (usually), since they will attack right away, forming a stream of planes attacking your team.

- If you dont have a CV, then its much easier since you dont have to evade incoming torpedo bombers. They usually are pretty annoying, as this will make you turn where you might not want to (showing broadside to one of the bot BBs).

- BBs are easier to farm in a CV. Drop bombs -> make fire -> bot uses DCP -> wait 10 sec -> use Torp bomber for Flooding. If its a CV, you have to wait 30 sec for his DCP to run off, thus it actually takes longer to kill him.

• Funny 1

[AS13]
Players
1,491 posts
1,770 battles

man it is dead-easy now. I just pick Arizona and I think we can do it with 3 or 4.

Must talk to team boss of AS13, he likes 'pants down mode'(= see how many we need to get 5 stars, any operation).

We already did Killer Whale once with 5 (and we had no CV). Yesss we're kinda nuts. He calls it 'shooting practise'.

EDIT: what happened to Raptor Rescue then, do we now get a MIKASA?

[BABBY]
Players
263 posts
6,142 battles

On the other hand, these operations became far more dangerous to cruisers, which used to be the go-to ship for T6 ops. BBs can't be deleted in few salvos like CVs and even Kawachi's AP can prove deadly to 16mm plated cruiser. Playing BB and CV became an option again. Surprise surprise, DDs still suck and will continue to do so as long as bots keep their torp evasion cheat mode.

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,491 posts
1,770 battles
15 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

On the other hand, these operations became far more dangerous to cruisers, which used to be the go-to ship for T6 ops. BBs can't be deleted in few salvos like CVs and even Kawachi's AP can prove deadly to 16mm plated cruiser. Playing BB and CV became an option again. Surprise surprise, DDs still suck and will continue to do so as long as bots keep their torp evasion cheat mode.

Also, I found in Killer Whale there are now SIX 'attack waves' trying to come into harbour.

We even had a potato DD (that was calling me names for killing everything that tried to enter the harbour from north side).

I died as should (half the team made it into escape spot). Guess what... 

...and then they even forgot to kill those two 'CV replacements', ended with zero stars LMAO. 

I'm gonna farm the hell out of it in Arizona and Leander for sure. 

BTW if you take a gunboat DDs are not useless at all. My div-mate makes top dog. 

[BABBY]
Players
263 posts
6,142 battles
3 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Also, I found in Killer Whale there are now SIX 'attack waves' trying to come into harbour.

We even had a potato DD (that was calling me names for killing everything that tried to enter the harbour from north side).

I died as should (half the team made it into escape spot). Guess what... 

...and then they even forgot to kill those two 'CV replacements', ended with zero stars LMAO. 

I'm gonna farm the hell out of it in Arizona and Leander for sure. 

BTW if you take a gunboat DDs are not useless at all. My div-mate makes top dog. 

I think there were always six waves if you hesitated to enter the exit zone long enough. As for DDs thats why I mentioned torpedoes, gunboats can even be semi-useful especially Gaede (guns&hydro) and Icarus (hydro&single torps ideal for sinking merchants or that moored Konig). Most of the time you're still better off with a cruiser in that slot though.

[AS13]
Players
1,491 posts
1,770 battles
9 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

or that moored Konig....

Two of those now!

Players
867 posts
6,959 battles

The one that's moored up is quite funny, as his secondaries will kick in if you get too close. Presumably that will be a Gneisenau or Bismarck on Hard Difficulty....