You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tyrendian89

T8 Matchmaking the umpteenth - except this time it's good!

31 comments in this topic

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles

so, straight from the Patchnotes...

Matchmaker Optimization

In response to numerous requests from our players, we are improving the matchmaker and enhancing the algorithms responsible for creating teams. This change will be more relevant to Tier VIII–X ships. Tier X battles will have fewer Tier VIII and IX ships as these will more often be matched to Tier VIII and IX battles.

That does sound quite good, but my natural curiosity isnt going to leave me alone until I at least ask... @Crysantos @MrConway any chance you're allowed to tell us a little more about what exactly is being done here? Are you fine folk introducing "Pure T10" battles to take some of the big boys out of the queue for the little guys?

(Not sure I expect you to be permitted to answer this, seeing how relatively close WG have kept their Sikrit Matchmaker in the past, but hey might as well try^^)

• Cool 11

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles

I missed that bit of the patch notes; it does sound promising - I guess we'll find out soon enough if it works...

Players
632 posts
7,478 battles

12 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Matchmaker Optimization

In response to numerous requests from our players, we are improving the matchmaker and enhancing the algorithms responsible for creating teams. This change will be more relevant to Tier VIII–X ships. Tier X battles will have fewer Tier VIII and IX ships as these will more often be matched to Tier VIII and IX battles.

Well, time do dust-off my Roon and Hipper then. And Mogami aswell

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles

As for 2 games today - doesnt necessarily matter to me :cap_haloween:

First match 3x T8 Div in T10 MM (7 TX + CV + 5 T8s), T10 BBs total windowlickers

Next match T6-8 MM (only 2 T6), equaly windowlicking BBs, luckily its enough for a hardcarry this time.

Can only win by super hard carry, but both could have gone either way.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
527 posts
2,438 battles

Sounds like what they did in wot, making tier 10s mostly get into tier 10 only matches in order to make mm more pleasant for tier 8. Only issue is that it made tier 10 games more stale and with less variety than before.

Pros and cons, also, it didnt really help tier 8 mm that much from what i remember

[SOCKS]
Players
771 posts
5,479 battles

Ring the bells, sound the celebrations, this is, finally, some great news. My T8s will stop being port queens! :D

• Cool 4

Players
2,745 posts
12,447 battles

This appears to be a very good move from Wargaming, so I offer a well deserved salute. :Smile_honoring:

The only fly in the ointment is the introduction of the "Thunderstorm Front". I hate these bad weather effects.

"Battles featuring the Thunderstorm Front will only be available for ships of Tier VIII, IX and X."

Note: I fully accept that I am in the minority here. As the Patch Notes say:

"In Operation Hermes, we tested the Thunderstorm Front, a new mechanic that affects events happening within a particular region of the map. The mechanics received a warm welcome from players..."

[JRM]
Players
811 posts
12,750 battles

Hmmmh change in hightier mm just before christmas/ny campaigns that seems to be low/mid tier themed, what could go wrong?

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,049 posts
2,170 battles
11 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

That does sound quite good, but my natural curiosity isnt going to leave me alone until I at least ask... @Crysantos @MrConway any chance you're allowed to tell us a little more about what exactly is being done here? Are you fine folk introducing "Pure T10" battles to take some of the big boys out of the queue for the little guys?

(Not sure I expect you to be permitted to answer this, seeing how relatively close WG have kept their Sikrit Matchmaker in the past, but hey might as well try^^)

I can't give you any more information than what is in the patchnotes, but it will make games with only tier IX and X ships much more frequent to take some of the pressure of people at tier VIII.

WoT uses a different solution where they have a few different tier composition templates that are always applied when making matches, with a smaller number of top tier ships per game.

• Cool 9

[DONGS]
Players
402 posts
8,439 battles
3 minutes ago, MrConway said:

I can't give you any more information than what is in the patchnotes, but it will make games with only tier IX and X ships much more frequent to take some of the pressure of people at tier VIII.

WoT uses a different solution where they have a few different tier composition templates that are always applied when making matches, with a smaller number of top tier ships per game.

Cheers :Smile_honoring: thanks for the answer and hurrah!

• Funny 1

Players
24 posts
4,970 battles

LOL... Wargaming and tweaking the matchmaker, what could go wrong with T8?

Perhaps the team that fixed the WoT matchmaker with the 3-5-7 template system have finally gotten around to 'fixing' WoWs. Because you guys just don't understand how much 'fun' it is playing your T8s against T10s 80-90% of the time!

• Cool 1

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

thanks! looking forward to seeing how effective this change is - there are plenty of fun T8s!

[SWTP]
[SWTP]
Players
332 posts
5,972 battles

Probably feedback from players about reasons for not buying T8 premiums finally worked. 

• Cool 5

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
1 minute ago, DariusJacek said:

Probably feedback from players about reasons for not buying T8 premiums finally worked. 

I for one like to imagine that, having been quite vocal about that very matter in the past.. :cat_cool:

• Cool 3

[MIRAI]
Players
1,080 posts
9,548 battles
20 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

I for one like to imagine that, having been quite vocal about that very matter in the past.. :cat_cool:

Kidd and Lo Yang looking angrily at you.

No, I am fine with this change. Hopefully shorter series of "Oh low tier again".

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
151 posts
4,326 battles
1 hour ago, DariusJacek said:

I not bought a premium T8 ages ago.except premium dds....with T8 dd in a tX game is not that ha4d, but with a bb or cruiser...forget it.no matter how good you are in a TX game u will sail with a big note board above your ship that is easy kill, and everybody will focus you:D

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Yes mate feel the same... it's only taken what...2 years for them to finally hear those who have been complaining about this situation. Is this being implamented at 0.7.11?

Players
942 posts
5,099 battles
1 hour ago, DariusJacek said:

Good point, tier 8's were always treated as the sweet spot, nowadays it's basically reason not to buy if a ship is tier 8.

The problem is, tier 10 is just too available nowadays, for the majority of players:

- players are loaded with cash after a few years of playing anyway

- if that's not enough, huge credit earning potential from certain ships / flags / camo

- permacamo

- the fact that XP earning has probably doubled or tripled in speed compared to 2015 / 2016, also due to flags / camo

- availability of special premiums at the tier 9 and 10

and so on

Something had to happen.  I even stopped sailing my beloved LoYang because playing against 4 or 5 tier 10 radar ships on huge open maps with your puny guns and 6.7km torps isn't exactly my definition of fun.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,005 posts
16,744 battles
5 hours ago, MrConway said:

WOT uses a different solution where they have a few different tier composition templates that are always applied when making matches, with a smaller number of top tier ships per game.

Top tier TANKS. I tried a few times to use them as ships, did not end well. 

• Funny 2

[SOCKS]
Players
771 posts
5,479 battles
2 hours ago, DariusJacek said:

Might have been part of the reason but let's face it, the situation was/is untennable and was making a lot of players annoyed and angry, premium buyers or not.

If it was only for the reason you state all they had to do was to release new premiums as T7s, which is the most favored tier by far, and then theoretically all those players who don't want to purchase T8 prems would buy those instead. They had a good chance with Wichita (as a design predating Baltimore it'd make as much sense as a T7 as it does as a T8), and they're putting it in as a T8, for instance.

Not saying that's not part of the reason, mind you, but certainly there must've been a lot more in play.

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,143 posts
3,975 battles

This effectively means worse MM for tier VIIs, right? So it kills two birds with one stone.

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
4 minutes ago, Blixies said:

This effectively means worse MM for tier VIIs, right? So it kills two birds with one stone.

one would assume so yeah... aww, my poor Atlanta :Smile_ohmy:

[D-252]
Players
17 posts
4,919 battles

Hopefully this will also take away the situations like I was in last night where there was 1 T8 per side (me in a Mogami and I think a Charles Martel on the other side), 2 or 3 T9s per side (1DD, 1CA, 1BB I think), and all others at T10 on the Islands of Ice map.

Normally I don't mind going out in my Mogami with T10s around (and I'm happy with how I've been doing in it), but matches where majority are T10 are hard work on maps like that particularly when you spawn on the west side, i.e. where there is plenty of open space.

• Cool 1

[SWTP]
[SWTP]
Players
332 posts
5,972 battles
4 godziny temu, RAMJB napisał:

Might have been part of the reason but let's face it, the situation was/is untennable and was making a lot of players annoyed and angry, premium buyers or not.

If it was only for the reason you state all they had to do was to release new premiums as T7s, which is the most favored tier by far, and then theoretically all those players who don't want to purchase T8 prems would buy those instead. They had a good chance with Wichita (as a design predating Baltimore it'd make as much sense as a T7 as it does as a T8), and they're putting it in as a T8, for instance.

Not saying that's not part of the reason, mind you, but certainly there must've been a lot more in play.

Och, I am sure there are more reasons, people vocal about it, more and more T9s and 10s etc. About realising T8s as T7s, one could argue that T8S are more profitable as more expensive ships.

Beta Tester
3,746 posts
13,295 battles
23 hours ago, thiextar said:

Only issue is that it made tier 10 games more stale and with less variety than before.

From what I've seen in my T8/9 ships when in T10 battles, the last thing the T10 skippers want is variety... ^^