You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HawkHunt

Trying to understand what I am doing wrong in BBs

52 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
448 battles

"git gud"

Okay and with that out of the way here is what happens to me a lot of the time. I roll out into battle with my Nagato, The game is a nice mix of Tiers 6 through 8 and a good mix of Destroyers, Cruisers and Battleships with the occasional Carrier in there.

I try to stick with my team, and myself, 2 destoyers a a couple cruisers start moving for a cap. Then I have barely moved a mile and I get focus fired by 3 or 4 cruisers, get set on fire a bunch and before I can fire a shot I am dead. 

I should just stay out of range shouldnt I? But then the horrible sigma on BB's wont allow me to land shots. But if I get into a range that my guns are useful in I get killed by stealth cruisers that combined output way more damage than my slow reload main batteries. 

What is it that I am doing wrong? I'd really like to know since this game isnt a lot of fun for me like this.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,452 battles
10 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

"git gud"

Okay and with that out of the way here is what happens to me a lot of the time. I roll out into battle with my Nagato, The game is a nice mix of Tiers 6 through 8 and a good mix of Destroyers, Cruisers and Battleships with the occasional Carrier in there.

I try to stick with my team, and myself, 2 destoyers a a couple cruisers start moving for a cap. Then I have barely moved a mile and I get focus fired by 3 or 4 cruisers, get set on fire a bunch and before I can fire a shot I am dead. 

I should just stay out of range shouldnt I? But then the horrible sigma on BB's wont allow me to land shots. But if I get into a range that my guns are useful in I get killed by stealth cruisers that combined output way more damage than my slow reload main batteries. 

What is it that I am doing wrong? I'd really like to know since this game isnt a lot of fun for me like this.

1: Before going anywhere, plan ahead how you can get away from that position. Never push to position where you can not make the turn back without exposing your broadside.

2: Don't push ahead of everyone

3: use islands to get closer and block most guns on you, keeping maximum of 1-2 ships only at you in a way that you can actually shoot back at them.

4: Use concealment expert captain skill to get closer

5: Choose the following fire prevention skills for your captain to boost survivability: Basics of survivability, Fire Prevention are must for every battleship, not including secondary builds. Also choose fire prevention upgrades, and choose premium consumables to reduce cooldowns. AT LEAST damage control consumable and repairparty.

6: make sure your minimap is LARGE

• Cool 8

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Players
1,908 posts
25,209 battles
5 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

Probably best to put a replay of one of your recent games on here, then you will get some advice from a variety of forumites.

• Cool 2

Players
850 posts
6,922 battles

Go back a Tier or two, to Kongo or Fuso. Kongo has speed which will help you escape if you over-extend yourself. Fuso has lots of guns. 

Don't charge in at the start of the game - DDs and Cruisers will spot you long before you see them.

Make sure you've got the Priority Target captain skill, and when you are detected, expect shells and torps to follow, don't sail in straight lines, don't sail into a cruiser ambush or into a cap. Everyone loves to see BBs in a cap but there's a time and place for it and some ships (German ones, usually) which are better than others.

Keep an eye on the minimap - where is everyone else? Are you isolated? Are there islands where enemies will hide?

Practice your mid-range shooting in a Co-op game, Training room or other low-pressure environment. Cruisers love to spam HE, but they also love to explode when BB AP shells hit them in the citadel, and you need to be able to do that from 12-14k to be an effective BB player.

Nothing wrong with turning tail if you're being focused. Try and save your Damage Control for when you're out of cruiser range - normally about 14-15K. Remember that fire damage is 100% repairable. 

• Cool 1

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
10 minutes ago, iJoby said:

Probably best to put a replay of one of your recent games on here, then you will get some advice from a variety of forumites.

exactly.

Well, one thing you're doing "wrong" is hilarious amounts of exaggeration and hyperbole with sentences like this:

Then I have barely moved a mile and I get focus fired by 3 or 4 cruisers, get set on fire a bunch and before I can fire a shot I am dead.

that doesnt happen. Period. no matter how poorly someone plays, BBs are too sturdy for that, especially against cruisers.

But yes, give us a replay and we can (and will) actually help you :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles

Nagato has rather "bad" armor for a BB. If you meet the wrong opponents, they can deal lots of damage to you. Doesnt mean you shouldnt try to tank, but there probably are other BBs better suited for that.

Ofc the moment is cruicial WHEN to use your HP. Probably the hardest part when playing BBs properly. Most players either go in too early, or stay behind far too long (mostly this one).

Also Nagato has pretty good accuracy for a BB, which should be able to land you citadels even at longer ranges, especially against Cruisers.

• Cool 1

Players
56 posts
3,669 battles

Main thing for the Nagato and all Battleships, is 4th level Captain skill "concealment expert".  Most battleships especially the IJN ones can be seen from across the map at the start.

Dont be in a group with the forward units.  Be a few Km behind them.  Always plan where their spotting units will be.  Keep your detection circle (much reduced now with your captain skill) away from the caps that are very probably being approached by enemy units.

Players
3,495 posts
7,250 battles
24 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

What is it that I am doing wrong?

Firstly, play other ship classes, find out what they can and can't do, then work out what you as a CA/DD player want both friendly and enemy BB players to do and not do and apply that to your own play.

Secondly, 190 games is very few compared to most T7 players, probably your best bet is to drop down to T2-4 grind out a few different lines and play a decent number of games in each ship, maybe 10 each in the T2/3 ships and 25 at T4.

• Cool 3

Players
6 posts
448 battles

17 hours ago, iJoby said:

16 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

exactly.

Well, one thing you're doing "wrong" is hilarious amounts of exaggeration and hyperbole with sentences like this:

that doesnt happen. Period. no matter how poorly someone plays, BBs are too sturdy for that, especially against cruisers.

But yes, give us a replay and we can (and will) actually help you :Smile_honoring:

Doesnt happen eh? 

Well, here it is happening again. Yes this isnt the first time that happened

I know I had the whole enemy team infront of me but my only option ( I think) was reversing becase  I couldnt have showed braodside because that would have been the end of me. (Not that that would have changed anything really)

I dont have the fire rate, range or average dispersion to deal with those cruisers, especially if half of them are dancing at full rudder either side, and the other half is lobbing shells over islands.

There is literally NOTHING i feel I could have done there that could have saved me there other than not having been there but how could I have known that their WHOLE enemy team would have been going there? 

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles
17 hours ago, HawkHunt said:

I get killed by stealth cruisers ......

Where can I get one of these please...they sound fracking awsome!!:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
253 posts
11,830 battles

You were in a terrible spot, loads of islands ahead of you for them to hide behind and nothing in front to spot for you. You should have been moving west long ago.

What's with the oil well commentary. I work rigs and had a flash back to work watching that, very distressing on my days off.

PS, I expect that North Cal got the same treatment after you died.

• Cool 2

Players
6 posts
448 battles
Just now, Andy_the_Cupid_Stunt said:

You were in a terrible spot, loads of islands ahead of you for them to hide behind and nothing in front to spot for you. You should have been moving west long ago.

What's with the oil well commentary. I work rigs and had a flash back to work watching that, very distressing on my days off.

I practise narration of Mearsk Oil Drilling ship documentaries in my spare time. I do the music, sound effects, narration and audio all at the same time.....

Nah , I was watching a documentary on the Mearsk Viking drilling ship when I played this game, I didnt think I was going to record that game, but the exact thing that I mentioned in my original post started happening again. But I couldnt be bothered to turn off the documentary so I just left it running.

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
11 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

Doesnt happen eh? 

I know I had the whole enemy team infront of me but my only option ( I think) was reversing becase  I couldnt have showed braodside because that would have been the end of me. (Not that that would have changed anything really)

I dont have the fire rate, range or average dispersion to deal with those cruisers, especially if half of them are dancing at full rudder either side, and the other half is lobbing shells over islands.

There is literally NOTHING i feel I could have done there that could have saved me there other than not having been there but how could I have known that their WHOLE enemy team would have been going there? 

there are in fact half a dozen things you could have done differently there.

The most important one being: Don't put yourself into that position in the first place. Especially in a relatively squishy and not that fast BB like the Nagato, ESPECIALLY especially if you're stock. Why would you go bow-in into that position anyway, when you (should) know full well that you're heavily outnumbered on that side?

• Cool 2

Players
253 posts
11,830 battles

I like Maersk rigs, always have good crews and good food.

Though the Saturday night "sausage party" on the Maersk Endeavour was a little concerning.

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles
10 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

Doesnt happen eh? 

Actually you got shot to death by enemy BBs. Cruisers simply cant deal that much damage you occasionally received (5-10k hits).

Cruisers are the ones dealing ~1k damage, thats hardly enough to kill you (and a fire once in a while :cap_old:)

- You dont bowtank in a Nagato. Especially when you dont know who can overmatch you. If there are Lyon, Scharnhorst, New Mexico, Fuso and all T5 BBs - be my guest, you can bowtank them. If you are in T8 MM - no chance.

Hitting a reversing BB is very easy, even more so when its a soft Nagato which gets overmatch EVERYWHERE.

- You dont have Concealment Expert, so you pretty much overextended for your concealment.

- As a BB, an unfavorable turn can still be better than wait and die. It was clear that you cant go undetected, because there was a DD ahead of you. If you would have taken the turn towards the island, you might have survived. The only thing which could have killed you would have been a BB, not a Cruiser.  But for that, your initial position was not good enough.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,379 posts
12,680 battles
1 hour ago, HawkHunt said:

Doesnt happen eh? 

You can start by not putting yourself into bad positions. If you get caught in a bad position in the Nagato, don't reverse like that. Wait until the big dmg threats fire their guns then turn away when they reload. You could have gotten away multiple times in that video. 

If you are playing the Yamato you can get away with reversing like that for a while. But you will eventually get burned down. 

So all in all the best tip you can get is better positioning. Look at the minimap like @Kenliero said. 

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Players
1,908 posts
25,209 battles
3 hours ago, HawkHunt said:

Doesnt happen eh? 

As @Andy_the_Cupid_Stunt stated, you could/should have made use of the islands until you had backup, and surely (Shirley), isnt it better to get out of that area rather than sit with slight reverse and be annihilated?

Players
6 posts
448 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

there are in fact half a dozen things you could have done differently there.

The most important one being: Don't put yourself into that position in the first place. Especially in a relatively squishy and not that fast BB like the Nagato, ESPECIALLY especially if you're stock. Why would you go bow-in into that position anyway, when you (should) know full well that you're heavily outnumbered on that side?

That is just the thing. I infact DONT know these things. No one seems to explain this stuff in chat all they do is complain after the fact and call me a retard or whatever. 

And no, I didnt know I was being outnumbered untill it was far too late. Half those ships were out of spotting range ( I dont even know how many were shooting at me, 3? 4? 5?) 

And I know full well that there are things that I should have been doing better but I dont know what those things are, That is EXACTLY what this thread is for! I want to know! Because I do not enjoy this game like this!

• Cool 2

[KAKE]
Players
714 posts
2,804 battles
22 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

Those looked like a fair few battleship salvoes as well as CL/CAs, to be honest.

As for what you should have done... the IJN BBs up to T8 are generally not that good at going bow in and tanking, they're better at staying on the move and kiting away or zig-zagging on the edge of detection range. Much like japanese cruisers, but with an overeating problem.

In that situation, your best bet would probably have been to first push forward into cover behind that island on the left to buy you some breathing room and then turned out and tried to kite them.

[5D]
Players
427 posts
20,011 battles
19 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

Doesnt happen eh? 

you were just sat bow on reversing out in the open in a BB that is built to usually kite away due to the gun layout. nagato is not a bow tanker like yamato and izumo etc. also you were too busy whining in chat and rarely shot anything. you need to be angling to get all your guns on target whilst manoeuvring so that the enemy has a harder time hitting you and you can get out of situations like that (which you shouldnt be in anyway) quicker. 

oh and premium consumables are mandatory.

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles
3 minutes ago, HawkHunt said:

( I dont even know how many were shooting at me, 3? 4? 5?)

Ships that definetely shot you (which is hard to tell, because your settings arent proper)

- Edinburgh: AP only, he deals very little damage

- Cleveland: the HE spammer infront of you. He hits badly and doesnt deal much damage, i dont think he had IFHE, otherwise he would have dealt SERIOUS damage to you

- Several BBs: Atleast one Nagato and a North Carolina. While i was writing, i spotted the farmost North Carolina shooting HE at you (which caused the first fire)

- Myoko: Not sure how often, saw him shooting once atleast.

Ships not shooting at you:

The DD, Mogami and the right most Nagato.

Players
253 posts
11,830 battles

Just had a quick check of your stats. You haven't played many battles so it's hard for you to fully appreciate the difference in ship performance as you go up tiers or across lines. Try a little research about over-match mechanics, armour and angling.

Make no mistake, mid-high tier BBs are hard to play well. I've nearly 10k battles and still haven't worked out how to play them well, probably why I prefer DDs. BBs feel easy to play (large HP pool, big guns) but far from it, and the number of folks at T10 that still haven't worked out even the basics is frightening.

Good on you for asking for help. Check out Flamu, Flambass, iChase etc and try to take some learnings from them.

Players
3,098 posts
5,420 battles

- No premium consumables.

- Using heal WAY to late.

- Minimap is useless.

- Its a BB that blabbs you (cant tell which, cuz -->minimap)

- Nagato =/= Mini-Yamato

- Entire enemy team is behind that cap. Why you think its a good idea to bow-tank them with ANY ship? Ever heard of kiting?

- no CE

- You keep swinging your turrents left and right without focusing anything. your damage-output is almost zero.

- You spent your time chatting, instead of thinking, how to get out of there. You just wait to die.

- I assume this was a roflstomp-win for your team. They played all much smarter than the enemy. Exept you.

- Can I have you in the red team the next time I play a cruiser plz?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[AS13]
Players
1,477 posts
1,724 battles

Doesnt happen eh? 

That's not  'I didn't move' because I do not think you spawned there...

IF YOU DID then get tha hell outta there next time... full left rudder, pedal to the metal.

I know that sometimes people plan to camp and sit where they spawned... others know this too...

So what they do is shoot at a spawn location from behind mountains.

If you are detected, maybe. How about showing an angled side?

I always LEAVE the spawn 45 degrees angled... and make sure I stay AT LEAST 45 angled to any known enemies...

How you could have known? make that thing on the right bottom of the screen larger.

You can also set it to show locations (and LAST KNOWN locations). 

Oh and better set it not to BLACK but 'see through' (else there will be surprises coming from down right...).

BTW those aren't cruisers shooting at you. If you put that thing right-down to LARGE and set 'show ships'etc, you will know.

AT LEAST.... YOU WILL IF you have one eye on the screen, one eye on the 'radar'- and NOT one eye on Oil Rig Documentaries and the other on Pr0N... :cap_like:

• Cool 2

Players
6 posts
448 battles
Just now, ForlornSailor said:

- No premium consumables.

- Using heal WAY to late.

- Minimap is useless.

- Its a BB that blabbs you (cant tell which, cuz -->minimap)

- Nagato =/= Mini-Yamato

- Entire enemy team is behind that cap. Why you think its a good idea to bow-tank them with ANY ship? Ever heard of kiting?

- no CE

- You keep swinging your turrents left and right without focusing anything. your damage-output is almost zero.

- You spent your time chatting, instead of thinking, how to get out of there. You just wait die die.

- I assume this was a roflstomp-win for your team. They played all much smarter than the enemy. Exept you.

- Can I have you in the red team the next time I play a cruiser plz?

Alright, so I knew I was going to get a lot of FlaK in this thread, especially after actually posting a video. 

But I am trying to learn here.  ACTUALLY trying to understand what to do better. 

And yes the truth hurts, I know. But I dont understand why you bring these valid points of yours in the way you do? 

Allow me to show you how I would have formulated these points

- No premium consumables.   (Using premium consumables is Highly recommended)

- Using heal WAY to late. ( Use the healing consumable earlier)

- Minimap is useless.  (your  current minimap size is too small)

- Its a BB that blabbs you (cant tell which, cuz -->minimap) (You are, in fact, being engaged by a battleship but it is hard to tell which one because of the minimap)

- Nagato =/= Mini-Yamato (You are playing the Nagato as if it is a mini Yamato, but it is not. Don't bowtank in it)

- Entire enemy team is behind that cap. Why you think its a good idea to bow-tank them with ANY ship? Ever heard of kiting? (You are facing the entire enemy team behind that cap, Turning away might give the enemy team your broadside but it is prefferable to just reversing and dying )

- no CE (I am working on this )

- You keep swinging your turrents left and right without focusing anything. your damage-output is almost zero. (Keep your focus on just one target, this increases your damage output)

- You spent your time chatting, instead of thinking, how to get out of there. You just wait die die. (Keep your head in the game, try to think of ways to get out, like the island infront of you)

- I assume this was a roflstomp-win for your team. They played all much smarter than the enemy. Exept you. (I dont even know what to say to this one, I am trying to learn here am I not!?)

- Can I have you in the red team the next time I play a cruiser plz? ( no, you can not. But you could probably take me out in a 30foot sailing boat armed with a revolver and a stick of TNT)

See how much nicer that might come across to a new player like me? 

• Cool 5