You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FurthLover77

Which premium BB

71 comments in this topic

Players
37 posts
659 battles

Im looking to buy a premium BB but have no clue which one is best for players that like to push in but not brawl.

[-AP-]
Players
531 posts
2,445 battles

Keep learning the game at the lower tiers first :Smile_Default: Rushing the tiers will do you no good, and suddenly owning a high tier battleship without first having played through the lower tiers, will make your experiences with said ship very very bad, as you wont have learned the playstyle in the lower tiers.

My advice: Stick to the lower tiers and keep learning the game until you feel comfortable there, only then go get yourself into the higher tiers :Smile_coin:

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
811 posts
12,767 battles
7 minutes ago, FurthLover77 said:

Im looking to buy a premium BB but have no clue which one is best for players that like to push in but not brawl.

Roma

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles
10 minutes ago, FurthLover77 said:

I would normally suggest looking at the various options at T5-6(ish), but you already appear to have Texas and Arizona; GC is worth a look, next time it goes on sale. You might also consider Warspite and Mutsu, although really most of the closer-ranged suited BBs are higher tier. October Revolution is quite fun too, but you might as well get that for coal...

I would suggest spending time at lower tiers, honing your skill-set first. There are a couple of reasons for this: first, if you drop into a T7-8 premium, you'll be going up against serious opposition and will most likely get torn a new one, which isn't hugely fun. Second, by the time you've practiced a bit, it'll be Christmas, and there is a good chance there will be some good offers on ships then (plus, the Xmas boxes, unless WG mess up there this year).

The only potential exception I might make is if there are any great offers for Black Friday - if there are, and you get a high tier premium, play it in Coop only - you'll still probably make silver, and you won't be getting tonked by real people...

Players
37 posts
659 battles

Thanks for the replies but your all saying how i need more practice at lower tiers but i have been playing at tr 8 for a long time since i have the NC. So i have been against TR 10s and i know the score.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles

Post-script: the black version of Massachusetts is available to win from Black Friday crates, albeit (presumably) with a horrifying low drop-rate, at least from the free crates...

On 11/20/2018 at 9:41 PM, FurthLover77 said:

Thanks for the replies but your all saying how i need more practice at lower tiers but i have been playing at tr 8 for a long time since i have the NC.

You do: you only have 65 random battles in her!

One of WOWS' frustrations, yet strengths, is that there is a long learning curve: the frustration part will be obvious to you - 65 battles is not a long time in WOWS terms - whilst the strength is that it rewards repeated playing (eventually).

[-AP-]
Players
531 posts
2,445 battles
31 minutes ago, FurthLover77 said:

Thanks for the replies but your all saying how i need more practice at lower tiers but i have been playing at tr 8 for a long time since i have the NC. So i have been against TR 10s and i know the score.

You have played tier 8 indeed, but you have not been doing very well at all: https://wows-numbers.com/player/554417679,FurthLover77/

This game has a long learning curve, there is so much one has to learn before even becoming a decent player, and the lower tiers is a better environment for learning, as your mistakes arent as harshly punished as in the higher tiers ;)

• Cool 1

Modder, Beta Tester
3,692 posts
6,657 battles

Best premium BB that combines usability, firepower, armor, fun and a "preferencial" matchmaking is the Schamhorst (german tier7).

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Players
1,909 posts
25,215 battles
1 hour ago, FurthLover77 said:

Keep practising with Arizona, till you get her to 50%+ She is slow, but the guns (AP) are good,

Try not to climb a mountain until you climb a hill.

• Cool 1

Players
58 posts
2,255 battles

if you want the speed to push in and not be left behind, but also not be a brawler BB. Then you should maybe look at some of the faster premium BB's on offer like the Hood or Schamhorst. There are other premium BB's worth considering also like the premium French BB's which are not slow and tend to have a far reaching fire range. All depends which Tier level you prefer to play in a premium, both the Hood and Schamhorst are Tier 7 premiums. But you also have some fast BB's at Tier 6 and 8 as well.

Bare in mind that most premium BB's that boast a fast speed to keep up when pushing forward. they will tend to gain that speed at the expense of having weaker armour than slower BB's, or they might lack the same gun power that slow BB's have (or both). There is no perfect premium BB to pick - that has it all.

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles

Keep your Arizona and play taht until you at least have some idea what you're doing... or maybe the Prinz Eitel Friedrich that we'll be getting for free around XMas. Definitely nothing higher, since you cant even remotely handle T6 adequately right now, let alone more than that.

• Cool 3

Players
37 posts
659 battles

"Keep your Arizona and play that until you at least have some idea what you're doing" this seems a little harsh but i see what you mean, you can only go on what im like on paper/stats. whats annoying is i have become a lot better over the last month which isn't reflected in my stats.

• Cool 1

Players
2,230 posts
6,204 battles

Jean Bart.

But you have to hurry as it's only for sale for a couple more days iirc and it's the only tier 9 premium ship that was ever for sale in the shop.

And I don't understand what you mean with push in but not brawl. If you push, brawling is kinda inevitable at some point.

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
151 posts
11,283 battles

no you dont

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles

@FurthLover77 - you may find this site useful for drilling down a bit into how well you're doing, and with what: https://wows-numbers.com/player/554417679,FurthLover77/

It provides additional information compared to the stuff from WG themselves; bear in mind, it can be occasionally flaky as it requires access to the WG API for data, and that can sometimes be inconsistent.

In the interests of fairness, this is me on the same site: https://wows-numbers.com/player/526131254,Verblonde/ (yes, I suck)

[-AP-]
Players
531 posts
2,445 battles
51 minutes ago, FurthLover77 said:

"Keep your Arizona and play that until you at least have some idea what you're doing" this seems a little harsh but i see what you mean, you can only go on what im like on paper/stats. whats annoying is i have become a lot better over the last month which isn't reflected in my stats.

Yeah, wows-numbers does also show your stats during recent battles aswell as during your all-time playing, and these stats do reflect you getting better https://wows-numbers.com/player/554417679,FurthLover77/  :Smile_great:

Im just saying, it usually takes people at the minimum a 1000 battles to get any decent at this game, often several thousand battles, so dont expect to be too good especially at high-tiers this fast.

Theres nothing wrong in taking it slow :Smile_Default:

Players
984 posts
8,151 battles

I'd say get a Warspite for your sovereigns in the Arsenal if you have enough.

You could also consider both Hood and Nelson, especially if you made use of any of the recent doubloon discounts.

The latter is still going to be pricy even if you wait for the next Free XP conversion discount, but the more you play and the longer you wait, the cheaper she gets. Not tanky at all but a good number of great big guns and an overpowered super heal. Also since the guns are physically so close together, she's outstanding for blapping DDs, which is great fun.

Hood is basically the opposite, extremely tanky if you know how to angle but the guns are somewhat weedy and the dispersion is trolly at times. In any event, you can get one of the Dunkirk brothers as commander.

Considering you are a fairly new player, you might want to stick to lower/middling tiers though, so maybe try the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya. You can even get it for relatively little coal from the Arsenal, which would be beneficial if you don't decide to stick with the game after all because then you would have not invested any real money. (Personally, I'd rather spend the real money though because the coal can get you things you cannot get for money.) Also you can get the unique Ovechkin captain if you don't have him already. If you got a Japanese ship, you'd either need to grind a decent captain or four-star the operation "Defense of Naval Station Newport". For a 10-pt German captain, four-star operation "Killer Whale" and for a French guy, it's "Dynamo".

Roma is also a nice ship but you'd need to grind the captain all the way yourself, so that's a better buy if you already have several other maxed-out captains and can use their Elite commander XP to fast forward the Italian guy. EDIT: and of course it's Tier VIII so you'd blow real money to buy into the suckiest matchmaking in the game.

Players
1,411 posts
6,222 battles
47 minutes ago, FurthLover77 said:

I want to push in with the cruisers but not get into a one on one BB flight

ok mate....If you are going to get a premium anyway, if you really want one higher up (even though the lads are right in that having more games will be better) then grab the Sharn. It's a forgiving BB that can adapt to any situation and will serve you right. But remember it's a battlecrusier with battlecrusier guns.  It's good because it rewards good aiming, Ammo type and has the armour and speed to get out of dodge if things go wrong.  It's a good brawler when the time comes with its good seconds and solid torps. It also has respectable AA.

good armour, cruiser killing guns, good MM, good HP  and good accuracy for a German BB. Solid ship.

The Gulio at tier 5 IMHO is a fantastic ship to learn in but I know it's not on sale at the moment.

i would always recommend those 2 ships to wanna be BB captains.

• Cool 1

Players
37 posts
659 battles

this is degrading for me to say but from my charts and tables on the website i seem to average out that im best at tr 4.....

Players
58 posts
2,255 battles
12 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

I'd say get a Warspite for your sovereigns in the Arsenal if you have enough. 

The Warsprite would most certainly not suit the type of game he wants to play keeping up with Cruisers pushing forward at the start. It only does around 24 knots.

I would have said get something like the French Dunkerque at T6 based on what he wants, or the Sharn or Hood at T7, or the Gascogne at T8. All 3 have good speed.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles
2 hours ago, FurthLover77 said:

Im looking to buy a premium BB

Besides the advice of waiting for special offers (Scharnhorst at 50% off isn't unheard of, for example), something else that isn't necessarily obvious - if you ignore everyone and go higher tier anyway - is that a few premium BBs have access to special cammo that ramps up their silver-earning potential enormously.

These cammos cost (a lot of) doubloons, but can reduce the amount of silver grinding you need to do, assuming you can play BBs well (they are of less utility for me, as I suck in BBs).

Scharnhorst isn't presently one of the ships in question, alas; they are Roma, Kii, and Ashitaka.

I wouldn't buy any of those for the cammo alone, but it's something to have on your radar...

Players
984 posts
8,151 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, GaryThomasBolton sagte:

The Warsprite would most certainly not suit the type of game he wants to play keeping up with Cruisers pushing forward at the start.

Most cruisers should stay behind the BBs at the start anyway if they know what's good for them.

Pushing has little to do with speed and Warspite can do it just fine.

Players
37 posts
659 battles

would it be a bad idea to consider the Massy because of its speed and that i can secondary build it? but its armour isnt the best