You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Dyzasta

British cruiser question.

36 comments in this topic

[VETS]
Players
16 posts
3,342 battles

Hi,

So sorry for the dumb question but is there any way i can move my smoke consumable (U key)  to the same slot it is for all my other ships (T Key) ?

Thanks in advance :) 

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles

1 hour ago, Dyzasta said:

Hi,

So sorry for the dumb question but is there any way i can move my smoke consumable (U key)  to the same slot it is for all my other ships (T Key) ?

Thanks in advance :) 

By all my other ships I take it you mean destroyers as they have smoke on the T key?

22 minutes ago, Dyzasta said:

Thanks for the reply :) I will  sack off the british then :( 

British Cruisers have more consumables to use so they have a different layout. Seems a shame to sack off a whole line because of a key being different. :Smile_sceptic:

[VETS]
Players
16 posts
3,342 battles

Sry for not being clear im disabled, and hitting the T key is just doable, U is a stop what im doing look away from  the screen move arm to press U - move arm back to normal position by which time im either dead or approaching it.

• Cool 9

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles

whelp, that took an unexpected turn...

dunno, maybe @Crysantos or @MrConway can pass this on to the devs? I mean, we've been asking for rebindable consumable hotkeys for a while, but our reasons were usually limited to "I like it better some other way" or "I'm too lazy to get used to all these different setups" (totally me, that one...), nothing nearly as serious as yours...

• Cool 9

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles

Kudos for performing like that even when you are handicapped :cap_like:

I mean, compared to what "average" wows players achieve with "normal" ability. :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 2

[CR-S]
Players
335 posts
17,920 battles

@Dyzasta I bound some keyboard-functions to my mouse-buttons.

For example: marking a target is usally the key "X" on the keyboard; i have it on the Scrollwheel/middle button of the mouse.

Also, switching gun-camera from front to back of the ship is per default with Keyboard "C" > i moved it to "mouse button 5".

Dunno if it´s possible with consumables though. I mean, if you maybe can better operate the mouse than the keyboard.

Edited by drmajga
added a sentence for clearance

Players
3,495 posts
7,250 battles

You can bind any consumable slot to any key so that should help but the consumable in the slot is always going to vary by ship.

Some kind of multi-key gaming mouse might be a good start for the op (I guess he has one already).

Beta Tester
268 posts
8,538 battles
38 minutes ago, Dyzasta said:

Sry for not being clear im disabled, and hitting the T key is just doable, U is a stop what im doing look away from  the screen move arm to press U - move arm back to normal position by which time im either dead or approaching it.

whilst you can't map specific consumables to specific keys, you can change the key binds, so instead of being RTYUI, you can have RTFGV or example.

image.thumb.png.d5a843a6d309267d8fc777b4563828ea.png

• Cool 1

[CR-S]
Players
335 posts
17,920 battles

It is possible to bind an ALTERNATIVE key to a consumable. You can put the smoke-consumable on a key that for you is easy to reach. Hope that helps! :Smile_honoring:

shot-18_11.20_23_49.04-0022.thumb.jpg.7628c4d3bad5834ce7d8781c584291b9.jpg

Ok, @PassTheSalt was faster :dance_turtle:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
268 posts
8,538 battles

Also worth maybe looking at https://voiceattack.com/

I use this when playing Elite in VR, it maps voice commands to key presses which is handy when i can't see the keyboard.
'Launch Missiles' is mapped to press my L key for example

Beta Tester
268 posts
8,538 battles
3 minutes ago, drmajga said:

It is possible to bind an ALTERNATIVE key to a consumable. You can put the smoke-consumable on a key that for you is easy to reach. Hope that helps! :Smile_honoring:

shot-18_11.20_23_49.04-0022.thumb.jpg.7628c4d3bad5834ce7d8781c584291b9.jpg

Ok, @PassTheSalt was faster :dance_turtle:

yours was fancier :D

• Cool 1

Players
92 posts
7,917 battles

Other alternative is to use HotKey so when you press "t" he will "press" "u" for you.

Some scripting involved, but not that complicated.

In some games there is no option to do keybinds, so it comes handy.

P.S. Everything that makes you exchange one click into one click is fine per rules. So changing "t" into "u" is fine, changing "t" into "shift+u" is banable offence.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,049 posts
2,170 battles
9 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

whelp, that took an unexpected turn...

dunno, maybe @Crysantos or @MrConway can pass this on to the devs? I mean, we've been asking for rebindable consumable hotkeys for a while, but our reasons were usually limited to "I like it better some other way" or "I'm too lazy to get used to all these different setups" (totally me, that one...), nothing nearly as serious as yours...

We know this is a much requested feature and it is on the list of things to do when we have the time - unfortunately I cannot say when this will be.

9 hours ago, PassTheSalt said:

Also worth maybe looking at https://voiceattack.com/

I use this when playing Elite in VR, it maps voice commands to key presses which is handy when i can't see the keyboard.
'Launch Missiles' is mapped to press my L key for example

Voive attack is indeed fantastic if you don't mind talking at the PC, it works very reliably.

10 hours ago, Dyzasta said:

Sorry to hear, but until we have a complete consumable remap I would suggest rebinding the consumable keys as suggested above!

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
527 posts
2,438 battles

Might be worth adding, that if you play this game with friends that you talk to, voice attack won't work, as it will mix your commands and conversation into one big mess

[UNICS]
Players
1,129 posts
14,501 battles
12 hours ago, Dyzasta said:

Sry to hear that.

Have you tried to Ctrl+ left click the consumable?

Im left handed , and it sucks not being able to rebind the key

[VETS]
Players
16 posts
3,342 battles

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice, it is appreciated :cap_happy: I will crack on see if i can get something more comfortable until WG get re-mapping  consumables  a valid thing - its only 2018 after all :cap_old:

2 hours ago, MrConway said:

We know this is a much requested feature and it is on the list of things to do when we have the time - unfortunately I cannot say when this will be.

Thanks for the reply - i'm humbled, and totally agree that you need to sort the urgent stuff out first (more premium ships)  :cap_like:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
981 posts
8,121 battles

As an anecdote, i feel the need to point out that on a German keyboard, the locations of the z and y keys are reversed (which the default WoWs bindings of course do not reflect).

Sometimes I'm really curious how many people actually drive around like that in WoWs without ever changing it.

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
14 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

As an anecdote, i feel the need to point out that on a German keyboard, the locations of the z and y keys on the keyboard are reversed (which the default WoWs bindings of course do not reflect).

Sometimes I'm really curious how many people actually drive around like that in WoWs without ever changing it.

I do, for one... easy to get used to, and (QWERTZ) y is easier to reach than z anyway...

Players
981 posts
8,121 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Tyrendian89 sagte:

I do, for one... easy to get used to, and (QWERTZ) y is easier to reach than z anyway...

Easier to get used to?!

When all the consumables are in the same row, right next to each other, same as on the monitor, except one?

And which one it is, even changes on some ships?

• Cool 1

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
1 minute ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Easier to get used to?!

When all the consumables are in the same row, right next to each other, same as on the monitor, except one?

I didnt say "easier", because it's not "easier" than anything - just easy to get used to.

1 minute ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

And which one it is, even changes on some ships?

which has nothing to do with where that key happens to be...

[KAKE]
Players
714 posts
2,804 battles
40 minutes ago, Dyzasta said:

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice, it is appreciated :cap_happy: I will crack on see if i can get something more comfortable until WG get re-mapping  consumables  a valid thing - its only 2018 after all :cap_old:

If the issue is that you have limited mobility of your left hand, have you considered getting something like the Razer Orbweaver or Tartarus (or a similar gaming controller that aims to replace the keyboard)? Those kinds of gaming peripherals are basically designed to maximize the amount of controls you can reach comfortably with one hand.

And as other people have mentioned, something like an MMO mouse might also help. It'll probably take some getting used to, but I know it can work well with practice. I used to play Unreal Tournament with a guy who only had one working arm (so he played using only a mouse), and the guy was pretty damned good.

• Cool 1

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,384 battles

^ I have the Nostromo, which I think was the precursor to those mentioned, basically a gaming keyboard which is very comfy and ergonomic. You have access to the up, down, left, right keys with your thumb, it basically has a D pad to replace them and this is very useful for selecting stuff.  IIRC it'll also allow you to re-bind these to basically anything and you can also have a full normal keyboard running at the same time as well.