You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kenliero

How to play secondary ships

17 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,451 battles

I've played a lot of all secondaryships and tested all kinds of builds with them. At least 300k xp in all of these....and this is the basic style I have developed while playing these ships.

So here are some quick tips for the people who have no experience on secondary ships.

PS. My honest opinion is that Kurfurst is by far the best of them for this purpose.

Feel free to discuss. I am sure everyone has their own versions and builds.

secondaryplay.png

• Cool 4

Players
2,201 posts
7,195 battles

Kurfürst may be the best just for being able to pen 32 mm plating with IFHE, but also has the most point-intensive build, giving up either concealment expert or, less likely, fire prevention. I don't own the GK (I will restart the FdG grind when they implement the new buffs), so I only have experience with the République as a "long"  range (usually more than 10 km) firestarter, that sinergices pretty well with the absurd fire chance of the main guns (excellent for forcing uses of damage controls and stacking dot damage)

[IRQ]
Players
2,698 posts
6,383 battles

I play Bismarck as a secondary brawler. Keep at ~1 km less than max secondary range, and show just enough broadside to get all secondaries to fire (most of them are on the side, and can't fire directly forward). If you take too much damage, you're too close to disengage by going to long range, so you need island cover for that. Plan ahead.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,451 battles
4 hours ago, principat121 said:

share your captain builds for all three ships

Here are the builds.

PS. I have Basics Firing training in my massachusetts at the moment, but here is the build I would use if I make a new captain for it. I don't see it necessary to respec it for now because of this minor detail.

secondarybuild-build.png

The reason I choose concealment expert on Republic, is because it is soft and I want to make the turn in time, to prevent citadel hits. With Kurfurst if you make the turn late, you usually get away with it, and with Massa I don't even make the turn, I just reverse away and keep tight angle.

• Cool 3

[DC-DK]
Players
1,959 posts
22,862 battles

shot-18_11.20_20_45.19-0987.thumb.jpg.3804e0fc781f1dcf02e65f9fb7521543.jpg

I use this setup on my commander for the Alsace which also go on my Gastogne and Jean Bart, Basically the same set of secondary guns on all  three ships. Reason I choose EM over AR is I want to have fast turrets in a brawl.

This build farms Close quarters achievements en mass.

• Cool 1

[DC-DK]
Players
1,959 posts
22,862 battles

Do expert marksman have an effect on the secondary gun turrets as well??

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,451 battles
1 minute ago, hgbn_dk said:

Do expert marksman have an effect on the secondary gun turrets as well??

No, it works only for main battery

• Cool 1

Players
814 posts
8,079 battles

I personally found IFHE didn't give me as much secondary damage on my GK as standard so removed it...

I have Tirptiz, Friedrich De Grosse and GK, all are secondary brawlers...

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,636 posts
6,853 battles
59 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

Here are the builds.

PS. I have Basics Firing training in my massachusetts at the moment, but here is the build I would use if I make a new captain for it. I don't see it necessary to respec it for now because of this minor detail.

secondarybuild-build.png

The reason I choose concealment expert on Republic, is because it is soft and I want to make the turn in time, to prevent citadel hits. With Kurfurst if you make the turn late, you usually get away with it, and with Massa I don't even make the turn, I just reverse away and keep tight angle.

Crikey.  No Superintendent on a BB commander.

Players
814 posts
8,079 battles
2 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Not everyone needs it... Individual play styles..

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,451 battles
4 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Yes. With secondary build you rarely need that 5th heal. It is much more important to actually prevent burning for long time with many fires and survive the brawl. This is why Basics of Survivability is important together with fire prevention upgrade and flags to minimize burning time. Your repairs are not available after the first 2 fires.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,636 posts
6,853 battles

I have to say it is entertaining being able to bring the secondaries into play at 11.3 km on by Tirpitz.  I'm going to have a think about the commnder skills if we get a reset.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,145 posts
11,455 battles

What do you run 5th slot?

Personally while secondary builds are fun, I found me too easy to be outmanouvered, aka let the secondary ship push in, kill it from afar and just counterpush. It's hard to utilize secondary range without overextenting and being overpowered, especially early game.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,451 battles
51 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

What do you run 5th slot?

Personally while secondary builds are fun, I found me too easy to be outmanouvered, aka let the secondary ship push in, kill it from afar and just counterpush. It's hard to utilize secondary range without overextenting and being overpowered, especially early game.

I run concealment in 5th slot. Legendary Upgrade in 6th

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,451 battles
1 hour ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I personally found IFHE didn't give me as much secondary damage on my GK as standard so removed it...

I have Tirptiz, Friedrich De Grosse and GK, all are secondary brawlers...

For Massa and Republic it doesn't seem to make very big difference and you could use other options. How ever in GK it makes massive difference. The only one it doesn't work so well, is against other German BB's. Every BB bow armor is 32mm and with British and French cruisers they are pretty much 32.. all around. Most of the time enemy is coming bow on you and IFHE pens them all than time. If they turn away and run. Their aft armor is also all 32mm in every BB, including Kurfurst... Against other Kurfurst I try to keep my bown on them(but still angled enough to shoot with secondaries), because Kurfurst has 60mm bow armor and other Kurfurst can not pen it even with IFHE.