You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
quickr

ST. New year events.

56 comments in this topic

Players
229 posts
10,030 battles

Last one ( «Steel giants» campaign ) is a very dangerous one. They will sell mission that, by completion, grants steel. They sell enough of those, see nice income of money flowing in, what stops them from making it permanent thing in premium shop? Steel for RL money, another broken promise. Not so "rare" and "exotic" resource anymore, is it WG?

• Cool 8

[SCRUB]
Players
7,154 posts
9,305 battles

Well, I think everyone knew that those Arsenal ressources would make it to the premium shop in some fashion ... coal could essentially be bought during the American CL Arc (premium containers contained multiple tokens which could be spend to get a couple normal containers which always contained some coal) and now they're selling missions that grant steel.

Their precious safety net on how "the amount of steel being granted won't devaluate the rare ressources" is pretty hollow as they're happily setting the precendent for selling those ressources and like OP said, if it sells, a business is going to keep selling.

• Cool 1

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,384 battles

Yeh the end one seems a bit worrying, I also wonder how much it costs.

I also wonder how steel is going to be obtainable, is it actually going to be enough to get a ship with it if you do all the missions? Or would you still have to top this up with ranked or CWs, which kind of defeats the purpose if you aren't doing those already.

The cynic in me also reckons the most steel will come from the premium missions. 

[AS13]
Players
1,477 posts
1,724 battles

Yes a business keeps on selling, and as well they should, else they're out of business soon.

Steel is very rare, so they just make it (much?) more expensive than coal or dubloons.

Having A BIT of it might make rich P2W players think about buying in. So what?

They'll get there anyway, someday they'll potato their way into a steel ship. 

Might as well make some money off 'em so they keep the game F2P for the rest.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[W-C]
Players
369 posts
1,606 battles

Looks interesting.

The last one... hmmm. I'll be honest (and probably naive) and say I don't really mind if steel (and other resources) are, to all intents and purposes, available to purchase. After all, it provides another income source for them, and that money is what keeps the game F2P for me!!!! The problem (as already alluded to/mentioned) is if it inflates the 'cost' of the items that can be purchased with said resource in the Arsenal (i.e. devalues the currency) and makes it harder/impossible to 'grind' to achieve them without opening a wallet (yeah, I know, that sounds tight-fisted). If (IF) WG can avoid this inflation/resource devaluation then I'm OK with it.

• Cool 2

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,961 posts
1 minute ago, Egoleter said:

Any chance to get the FB information posted here instead of just the link?

ST. New year events.

Dear players!

Steel is a valuable resource that is used to unlock rare ships. At the moment it is awarded only to active participants of Clan and Ranked battles. After adding steel to the game, we received many requests to make it more obtainable. This is understandable, because not everyone has the opportunity to play in competitive modes effectively and regularly. To celebrate the New Year we have prepared 4 game events, and by participating in them you will get a lot of great prizes, including some steel. This doesn't mean that we are now planning to constantly create events like this, but it's the New Year and as you know, this is a time for surprises.

So here's what awaits you:

«In The Name Of His Highness!» event
The new game event «In the Name of His Highness!» is dedicated to the heyday of armored ships of the early 20th century. It will last 4 weeks. There are 4 stages of the event. Each stage consists of 4 directives. Each Directive contains 10 to 11 tasks. There is a corresponding reward of camouflage, signals, Christmas containers and even steel. And continuing our new year's tradition, the main prize will be a new premium tier VI German battleship - Prinz Eitel Friedrich! Rules for completing directives are similar to the Royal Navy event. After the completion of all directives, access to the Hall of Fame is unlocked, for which points can be earned in co-op, random, ranked, clan, scenario or special battles.

Snowflakes.
Snowflakes are a one-time new year bonus, which is active as part of update 0.7.12. The bonus will work on tech-tree ships from tiers V to X and premium and promo ships from tiers II to X. To "blow off a snowflake" from the ship, you need to go into battle in any mode except Training room and win. For this you will receive resources for the Arsenal: coal and steel. The higher the level - the more resources you get. The bonus may be “blown off” only once for each ship during the event. This means that the more ships you have in the port, the more resources you can get for the Arsenal.

«Mighty Prinz» campaign
This is a temporary thematic campaign that will allow you to earn new year containers for the «Beautiful era» collection and get tier VI tech-tree ships. To participate in this campaign, you will need the battleship Prinz Eitel Friedrich, whose permanent camouflage will be the main reward.

«Steel giants» campaign
It will be available for purchase in the premium store. The campaign is dedicated to the construction of ships in the early 20th century. By completing its tasks and missions, you can get camouflage, signals, «Secret Santa» containers and steel.

In addition, there will be specific combat missions in update 0.7.12, and completing them will get you steel.

Thus, everyone will be able to choose their favourite activities, and we hope that the celebration will be successful. At the same time, the total amount of steel that can be obtained during the new year's activities is not so high as to devalue this rare resource and the efforts of those who earned it by playing in competitive modes.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 5

Modder, Beta Tester
3,690 posts
6,657 battles
2 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Any chance to get the FB information posted here instead of just the link?

ST. New year events.

Dear players!

Steel is a valuable resource that is used to unlock rare ships. At the moment it is awarded only to active participants of Clan and Ranked battles.
After adding steel to the game, we received many requests to make it more obtainable. This is understandable, because not everyone has the opportunity to play in competitive modes effectively and regularly.

To celebrate the New Year we have prepared 4 game events, and by participating in them you will get a lot of great prizes, including some steel.
This doesn't mean that we are now planning to constantly create events like this, but it's the New Year and as you know, this is a time for surprises.

So here's what awaits you:

«In The Name Of His Highness!» event
The new game event «In the Name of His Highness!» is dedicated to the heyday of armored ships of the early 20th century. It will last 4 weeks.
There are 4 stages of the event. Each stage consists of 4 directives. Each Directive contains 10 to 11 tasks. There is a corresponding reward of camouflage, signals, Christmas containers and even steel. And continuing our new year's tradition, the main prize will be a new premium tier VI German battleship - Prinz Eitel Friedrich!
Rules for completing directives are similar to the Royal Navy event. After the completion of all directives, access to the Hall of Fame is unlocked, for which points can be earned in co-op, random, ranked, clan, scenario or special battles.

Snowflakes.
Snowflakes are a one-time new year bonus, which is active as part of update 0.7.12.
The bonus will work on tech-tree ships from tiers V to X and premium and promo ships from tiers II to X. To "blow off a snowflake" from the ship, you need to go into battle in any mode except Training room and win. For this you will receive resources for the Arsenal: coal and steel. The higher the level - the more resources you get. The bonus may be “blown off” only once for each ship during the event.
This means that the more ships you have in the port, the more resources you can get for the Arsenal.

«Mighty Prinz» campaign
This is a temporary thematic campaign that will allow you to earn new year containers for the «Beautiful era» collection and get tier VI tech-tree ships. To participate in this campaign, you will need the battleship Prinz Eitel Friedrich, whose permanent camouflage will be the main reward.

«Steel giants» campaign
It will be available for purchase in the premium store. The campaign is dedicated to the construction of ships in the early 20th century. By completing its tasks and missions, you can get camouflage, signals, «Secret Santa» containers and steel.

In addition, there will be specific combat missions in update 0.7.12, and completing them will get you steel.

Thus, everyone will be able to choose their favourite activities, and we hope that the celebration will be successful. At the same time, the total amount of steel that can be obtained during the new year's activities is not so high as to devalue this rare resource and the efforts of those who earned it by playing in competitive modes.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 2

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,961 posts
1 minute ago, MrFingers said:
Prinz Eitel Friedrich! Rules for completing directives are similar to the Royal Navy event. After the completion of all directives, access to the Hall of Fame is unlocked, for which points can be earned in co-op, random, ranked, clan, scenario or special battles.

So that means that participation is required from week 1, there will be time-gating with daily-intervals and no way to catch up like previous years??? yeah... we'll see how that pans out!

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
811 posts
12,762 battles

Well since steel can drop from a sc the issue (at least in theory) in itself is a non issue since you can get a steel ship by patience even without ever playing competitive mods

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-GG-]
Players
153 posts
10,173 battles

It depends on how much steel one can "buy" through such mission.

I really doubt that it will be sufficient even for Flint.

Just a catch for ppl who want to spend money on XMas and "buy" 1k or 2k steel for an inflated price

[NWP]
Players
3,192 posts
5,586 battles
1 minute ago, MrFingers said:

So that means that participation is required from week 1, there will be time-gating with daily-intervals and no way to catch up like previous years... yeah... we'll see how that pans out!

What i dont like thats its basicly in the Holiday season... ppl got other stuff to do than sit 24/7 at their PC playing WoWs :Smile_sceptic:

If it would start now and ends before Xmas, it would be great imo.

• Cool 1

Players
421 posts
4,209 battles
2 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

Looks interesting.

The last one... hmmm. I'll be honest (and probably naive) and say I don't really mind if steel (and other resources) are, to all intents and purposes, available to purchase. After all, it provides another income source for them, and that money is what keeps the game F2P for me!!!! The problem (as already alluded to/mentioned) is if it inflates the 'cost' of the items that can be purchased with said resource in the Arsenal (i.e. devalues the currency) and makes it harder/impossible to 'grind' to achieve them without opening a wallet (yeah, I know, that sounds tight-fisted). If (IF) WG can avoid this inflation/resource devaluation then I'm OK with it.

I'm sorry, but were you born yesterday?

OF COURSE it will inflate the cost of the items priced in steel in the Arsenal, that's how economics work.

WG seems to have adopted the strategy of inflating a currency, then introducing another one in its place with the justification that the old currency has devalued too much and is basically worthless. Then inflating the s**t out of the new currency - rinse and repeat. It started with FreeXP, now it's steel, next up probably coal, then copper etc.

• Cool 1

Players
421 posts
4,209 battles
10 minutes ago, MrFingers said:
/---/

Yeah, just like introducing the 10+ camos/super signal flags with insane bonuses to FreeXP earning have not devalued that resource at all. /sarcasm

Players
229 posts
10,030 battles
3 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Im gonna buy some steel, thanks for the headsup. No one delivers good news @quickr than you

I though i was on your ignore list. I'm disappointed :Smile_sceptic: 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[W-C]
Players
369 posts
1,606 battles
5 minutes ago, mrk421 said:

I'm sorry, but were you born yesterday?

More or less:Smile_trollface:

5 minutes ago, mrk421 said:

OF COURSE it will inflate the cost of the items priced in steel in the Arsenal, that's how economics work.

WG seems to have adopted the strategy of inflating a currency, then introducing another one in its place with the justification that the old currency has

Yeah, I get that, but whilst WG has a history of reneging on their promises, I thought to not totally crush their idea. After all, I think their intent is reasonable enough (make steel more available to those not doing competitive, for a limited time) even if the implementation and future impact may not be too good!! And I'm trying to be objectively balancedTM here:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,461 posts

Thank you @MrFingers and @principat121

A few things disturb me with this years new year event. And it's not the fact that everyone has a chance to gain steel (though I need to admit that I'm not playing for higher ranks in ranked battles or participate in clan battles, so I might be biased in that regard).

In The Name Of His Highness! followed by Mighty Prinz

A mission set like the current british arc. After three months of grinding Guineas, we are now going to grind yet again in the same way. You'll have to be there from the beginning. No chance to catch up or no time for a break. During the Holiday Season. Wargaming ( @Crysantos @MrConway ) your players are getting tired. Please grant us a break.

Hiding the second event behind this time gated first one removes any chance of participating if you dare to spend your time not being online on a daily basis. It's also a grind after a grind, though finally one you can hopefully do in your own pacing (unless the singular campaign missions require constant grinds as well).

Steel giants

A money locked campaign? Seriously? You expect us to pay for a chance to earn ingame rewards?

Is that campaign time locked? Will it end with the first patch next year?

Thus, everyone will be able to choose their favourite activities,

Apparently not. There is no real choice. The first event is locked behind constant online times. The second is hidden behind the reward for first. The third is locked behind spending money.

That leaves only one of them and that's not an actual choice as it runs automatically anway.

• Cool 5

[UNICS]
Players
1,129 posts
14,505 battles

WG should not make steel available with RL Coin , this is just a slap in my and countless others faces .. You should earn it..

46.88% +0.305% 45.23% +0.147% 43.59% -0.616%

44.50%

u are repulsive @___V_E_N_O_M___ , just buy steel right.. what a noob

• Funny 1

[HOME]
Players
640 posts
7,855 battles
15 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

WG should not make steel available with RL Coin , this is just a slap in my and countless others faces .. You should earn it..

44.50%

It will be the good for the player base and game as a whole (so indirectly also for you) and not just for the competitive players if they make steel available in some other way than ranked and cbs. Sure you can earn it, but there should be multiple ways. 

• Cool 3

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,591 posts
5,533 battles

I like the steel being available for non ranked/CW stuff - not a fan of high end ships, particularly good ones being gated away behind certain game modes

Not a fan of it being purchasable with real money though

Players
638 posts
3,135 battles
57 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

44.50%

Not as repulsive as your unicorn xD.

Steel will make me unicum, I shall buy my way into the top 1% of the server.

• Boring 1