Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
vmarek98

Cruiser gameplay on the Ocean map

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[-POI-]
Players
3 posts
3,412 battles

After more than a year (I think), I have had the honor today to play on the ocean map. Unfortunately, it was in a cleveland, with a build useless on open sea. Since many cruisers are balanced in such way that they are forced to use islands for cover, fire from stealth, and do damage over time, how are we supposed to play on such map as Ocean? 

 

I don't just want to complain about the map, although it's balance is really up for discussion.. but does anyone have tips how to play such a cruiser like Cleveland on this map? getting into close quarters fight at this tier, considering the low range of the guns, is a quick way to die, and there doesn't seem anything else for the cruiser to do at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
539 posts
2,464 battles

The ocean map is just stupid tbh, it just shits on about half the ships in this game, and promotes questionable gameplay.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,212 posts
5,611 battles

Try to get one of your DDs to give you a smokescreen on the way to a cap. That way, you can use your radar from stealth against enemy DDs (that is if there is something coming your way)

Otherwise you can only try to survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,280 posts
5,081 battles

When I started playing in Apr '16 it was the best map in the game for me, requiring dodging skill for a cruiser player to do well whilst DD's used to smoke the team and there were fewer BB's around (2-4 max normally) but the meta changes have ruined this map now.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ZEN]
Players
294 posts
7,356 battles

You try doing it in a Neptune in a CV game where every BB blind fires into your smoke... that's fun... all your there for is AA support... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
538 posts
8,895 battles
4 hours ago, thiextar said:

The ocean map is just stupid tbh, it just shits on about half the ships in this game, and promotes questionable gameplay.

 

And that's why lots of captains go A on Okinawa. The rest of it is pretty much ocean map play.

If you have a ship that is vulnerable in open water, it's not much fun. Other ships thrive on the ocean map, but it actually a bit on the small side for TX ships. I'd like to see the map pop up now and again at other tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,398 posts
14,408 battles
2 hours ago, IanH755 said:

When I started playing in Apr '16 it was the best map in the game for me, requiring dodging skill for a cruiser player to do well whilst DD's used to smoke the team and there were fewer BB's around (2-4 max normally) but the meta changes have ruined this map now.

When I started playing in Sep '15 I had the great opportunity to play the St. Louis on the Ocean map. That's the American tier 3, not the French tier 9. It's a shame I don't remember how long it took me to get close enough to see an enemy and then to get into range to shoot at him. :dance_turtle:

 

@vmarek98

You can play the Cleveland in the open but it's neither easy nor very efficient. You lurk in the flank of someone and fire at him as long as he doesn't look at you. Stop shooting in time so he can't turn his guns and shoot back. Rinse and repeat to annoy him. A more efficient play style would involve a friendly smoke screen and your radar + sonar to focus on the enemy DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OP]
Beta Tester
216 posts
2,517 battles

It is a fun map to play on. Cleveland I would say try to kite against battleships that push, team up with a DD or wiggle a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,690 posts
11,721 battles
6 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

It is a fun map to play on. Cleveland I would say try to kite against battleships that push, team up with a DD or wiggle a lot.

Untill the BB on the other flank notice you (and this usualy doesn't last long). Then you're caught in a crossfire.

And if the enemy has half decent DDs they'll know that they can just rack up spotting damage.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,244 posts
5,988 battles

Honestly? With how often I see encounter it (not very often, if anybody's wondering), it's almost a meme. I don't hate it despite it being a stupid map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BFS]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,739 battles

I had a battle on Ocean  a few weeks ago and my thougths were "I didn't realize this map was still in rotation"......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AMAT]
Beta Tester
116 posts
4,702 battles

Hint: Well  how about wasd hack , minimap control ( no island so no bb ambush), triger disiplene,watching bbs shoot or not for turns and firing your guns  support your team mates as close as you can  (dd,bbs )and action together .  İsland huggers are not great players they just potatoes.(my personal opinion)

 

Past day İ played in  ocean map with my crusier and i had fun. my team work together well ( or enemy not ) and i take only 10k damage .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OP]
Beta Tester
216 posts
2,517 battles
3 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

Untill the BB on the other flank notice you (and this usualy doesn't last long). Then you're caught in a crossfire.

And if the enemy has half decent DDs they'll know that they can just rack up spotting damage.

What are the odds, a decent BB and ocean. You can still go dark and reposition.

ofc, the one with best situational awareness will probably win and that is what I love about the map.

 

I think when you feel comfortable on this map in most ships that you are getting to know the game nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,690 posts
11,721 battles
3 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

What are the odds, a decent BB and ocean. You can still go dark and reposition.

ofc, the one with best situational awareness will probably win and that is what I love about the map.

 

I think when you feel comfortable on this map in most ships that you are getting to know the game nicely.

Has nothing to do with decent. A broadside ship is a bigger target than a bow in one. You don't even need to know armour or angling to see that hitting one of those is easier.

 

Some cruisers will only do good if enemy BB ignore him. If you constantly get shot at every time you fire yourself you can't do anything. Going stealth an entire game isn't interesting, some cruisers just aren't made for open water game-play. No matter how good you are.

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OP]
Beta Tester
216 posts
2,517 battles
2 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

Has nothing to do with decent. A broadside ship is a bigger target than a bow in one. You don't even need to know armour or angling to see that hitting one of those is easier.

 

Some cruisers will only do good if enemy BB ignore him. If you constantly get shot at every time you fire yourself you can't do anything. Going stealth an entire game isn't interesting, some cruisers just aren't made for open water game-play. No matter how good you are.

 

So what, you just turn your ship and dodge the shells... Not all cruisers are made for open water game-play, but when you get the game basics you can do well enough in all on Ocean.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AMAT]
Beta Tester
116 posts
4,702 battles
2 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

 

 

Some cruisers will only do good if enemy BB ignore him. If you constantly get shot at every time you fire yourself you can't do anything. Going stealth an entire game isn't interesting, some cruisers just aren't made for open water game-play. No matter how good you are.

 

well %99 game maps just fits the "some cruisers just aren't made for open water "  and for %1 not  and also rare one needed to be exist. i just say Deal with it:cap_cool: . Because some ships in the game  for open water  . Some other perspective taking dmg without dealing also annoying becouse of no spot and not enough gun elevation. So welcome to other edge of the sword.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,690 posts
11,721 battles
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

So what, you just turn your ship and dodge the shells... Not all cruisers are made for open water game-play, but when you get the game basics you can do well enough in all on Ocean.

Hence my previous post: good luck dodging shells when in a BB crossfire. So plz, enlighten me on how to play well (as solo player) in a DM with reload mod on Ocean. I'm always open to learning new stuff.

 

37 minutes ago, Redfoxrommy said:

well %99 game maps just fits the "some cruisers just aren't made for open water "  and for %1 not  and also rare one needed to be exist. i just say Deal with it:cap_cool: . Because some ships in the game  for open water  . Some other perspective taking dmg without dealing also annoying becouse of no spot and not enough gun elevation. So welcome to other edge of the sword.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. So I can't comment on it sorry.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OP]
Beta Tester
216 posts
2,517 battles
14 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Hence my previous post: good luck dodging shells when in a BB crossfire. So plz, enlighten me on how to play well (as solo player) in a DM with reload mod on Ocean. I'm always open to learning new stuff.

Avoid crossfire, thus avoid B and follow one of the DDs to either A or C. Try to stay close to them, but at such a range that the DD will be spotted first.

 

When you fire don’t be bow in, be broadside. That way you won’t be catched broadside. Besides A and D, use W and S as well. DM can easily set fires and thus do a nice amount of damage over time. You can set fires and go dark again when they focus you.

To keep your situational awareness up to date, use: Last know ship position and shipnames on the minimap, and PT as captain skill. 

 

When being pushed by a BB just try to be outside your max range. That way you can hit him, but he can’t spot you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-POI-]
Players
3 posts
3,412 battles

agreed, hence I was mostly asking for tips how to play ships like cleveland on it in the current meta.. I like that map in my DDs (i mainly play dds), but the cruiser problem is a tough one to crack.. in german cruisers it is not that much of a problem as it is in a ship which has barely over 14km range stock at tier VIII.. cleveland is dps island he spam at the moment, op as hell on some maps, but quite boring at times..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-POI-]
Players
3 posts
3,412 battles
8 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

If Ocean is unplayable, it's the meta that's wrong, not the map.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,989 posts
11,418 battles

It's just like playing vs triple arty in WoT. 

 

If you dare shoot first then you're getting focused :Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
1,360 posts

I stay behind a BB to encourage the subset of players who tend to shoot at the closer target, and go in/out of stealth like a BB too by firing less often. Time your shots to fire when others around you do, so the enemy is presented with a choice at all times and so always has a chance of not picking you. If you're being permaspotted by aircraft or a DD just keep sailing straight away from the biggest threat (ie. enemy with biggest gun calibre). Don't turn in for an all-gun volley, defensive manoeuvres take priority, just fire what guns happen to be lined up when it's time to shoot.

 

 

9 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

Has nothing to do with decent. A broadside ship is a bigger target than a bow in one. You don't even need to know armour or angling to see that hitting one of those is easier.

IRL a head-on target is effectively bigger due to the way artillery dispersion falls as a long oval (becoming more circular the higher the trajectory, so mortars can be very accurate), but ingame the vertical dispersion is truncated by the sigma value to make broadside targets ideal shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
74 posts
3,041 battles

You're in a cruiser...You are only here to provide Battleships with kills to pad their stats.     :cap_popcorn:                     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,690 posts
11,721 battles
16 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Avoid crossfire, thus avoid B and follow one of the DDs to either A or C. Try to stay close to them, but at such a range that the DD will be spotted first.

 

When you fire don’t be bow in, be broadside. That way you won’t be catched broadside. Besides A and D, use W and S as well. DM can easily set fires and thus do a nice amount of damage over time. You can set fires and go dark again when they focus you.

To keep your situational awareness up to date, use: Last know ship position and shipnames on the minimap, and PT as captain skill. 

 

When being pushed by a BB just try to be outside your max range. That way you can hit him, but he can’t spot you.

Very hard to avoid crossfire though, most of the times BBs split up to A and C. But of course they don't push in too deep, they are usually a "few" km behind the caps. So they can fire at all three caps and beyond. Thus no matter what cap you go to: you'll always be in a BB crossfire.The only way you cannot be in a BB crossfire is if they are dumb enough to all go to one cap. Has nothing to do with your own gameplay, but more with the stupidity of your opposing team.

 

DM can set fires all right, but fire damage is only good for your EPeen, it's real value lies in it's radar and AP. And shooting BBs outside their range; I know the concept. But how often do you see a BB leading the charge without having at least a DD a few km in front of him ( thus negating you the option to shoot without being spotted ).

 

I have the minimap setup, I know when I need to go dark: the numbers of people targetting you go up very quickly. Then you go dark. The issue is that this happens after every two or three volleys. Very fun to play like that: being dark the entire game.

 

10 hours ago, StringWitch said:

IRL a head-on target is effectively bigger due to the way artillery dispersion falls as a long oval (becoming more circular the higher the trajectory, so mortars can be very accurate), but ingame the vertical dispersion is truncated by the sigma value to make broadside targets ideal shots.

Mortars and accurate in one sentence, good joke lol.

And tbh, most people don't know anything about sigma or vertical/horizontal dispersion. All they see is what is in game: one dispersion value (if they even look at it). So then they see with their eyes what the game presents them: a small silouette or a large silouette. Has nothing to do with more knowledge, just what your eyes show you and some logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×