You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Clan Battles: "North" Season - Discussion Thread

46 comments in this topic

WG Team, Master Pirate, Sailing Hamster
473 posts

Get your ammunition aboard and load the guns! While that’s going on, let’s take a quick look at the updated set of rules for the forthcoming 4th Season of Clan Battles.

Read the full article

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
20 posts
1,653 battles

Looking forward to it! That Bourgogne-shaped elephant in the room though.............how much steel? :Smile_hiding:

[SCRUB]
Players
7,151 posts
9,305 battles

CBs over the christmas season, brilliant ...

Can I get one of the headhonchos @MrConway, @Tuccy, @Crysantos to pass along the idea that maybe, just maybe, people are looking forward to spending time with families during that time rather than play CBs so it might be beneficial for all parties involved if upcoming competitive events are NOT scheduled over the same time as traditional family festivities?

I mean, right now CBs is about the only thing I'm motivated to fire up WoWs for, yet I'll only be able to realistically participate in at most half of that season because I'm sure as hell not going to miss out on spending time with my family.

And I'm fairly certain I can't be the only one with that sentiment.

By the way, this is EXACTLY why people are getting fatigued ... "oh sure, you can visit family and everything, all you do is miss out on those awesome CB rewards if you don't play" ...

• Cool 5

[HULK]
Players
6 posts
12,145 battles
18 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Can I get one of the headhonchos @MrConway, @Tuccy, @Crysantos to pass along the idea that maybe, just maybe, people are looking forward to spending time with families during that time rather than play CBs so it might be beneficial for all parties involved if upcoming competitive events are NOT scheduled over the same time as traditional family festivities?

I mean, right now CBs is about the only thing I'm motivated to fire up WoWs for, yet I'll only be able to realistically participate in at most half of that season because I'm sure as hell not going to miss out on spending time with my family.

By the way, this is EXACTLY why people are getting fatigued ... "oh sure, you can visit family and everything, all you do is miss out on those awesome CB rewards if you don't play" ...

I totally agree with you

[WOWS]
[WOWS]
Players
190 posts
11,604 battles

Nice and beauty to have the option to change between the first and second rating, but why the syszem changes it when the group-leader changing? MANY-many times it happened with us: Houp assembled, and playing, group leader needs to go, gives the leading position to an other player, next battle: "-Why it is this hard?" -ohh: the system automaticly switched from squall to gale/storm, because the main group is in  that league, so we just made the rating worse with the practice group...

NOT GOOD!

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,049 posts
2,170 battles
1 hour ago, Aotearas said:

I don't know how long you have been around here, but the last time we suggested people should spend time with their families over Christmas, that didn't go down so well :Smile_hiding:

I appreciate that you won't want to miss the season, but I hope you can also appreciate that not everyone has the same kind of plans over the holiday period and still wants to be able to play and compete. There will never be a solution that pleases everyone.

There will be more clan battles seasons coming, it is OK to miss part of one to enjoy Christmas!

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
889 posts
7,401 battles
18 minutes ago, MrConway said:

I don't know how long you have been around here, but the last time we suggested people should spend time with their families over Christmas, that didn't go down so well :Smile_hiding:

I appreciate that you won't want to miss the season, but I hope you can also appreciate that not everyone has the same kind of plans over the holiday period and still wants to be able to play and compete. There will never be a solution that pleases everyone.

There will be more clan battles seasons coming, it is OK to miss part of one to enjoy Christmas!

I'm sorry Conway, that simply sounds condescending. 

Reorganizing the timing of the Halloween event (which lasted almost two months over a single holiday), not doing Ranked, then two Ranked Sprints then Clan Battle testing all one after the other, all of that could have meant we didn't have to play CB's over Christmas. 

Also, yes, we  remember about the last time you said to spend time with family over Christmas, it was years ago, that is not a point of reference anymore. If those at Wargaming actually you know, read their official forum, you would see that player burnout is becoming much more widespread of late. Jesus I wrote an entire thread of listed points that I felt were leading to it, and 2000 views later, not a single person has completely disagreed with those points. 

As a result of that, a lot of simply won't be around to play those future clan battles if we miss parts of this one. Consider that for a moment. 

This is just another faux pas. A big one. Consider it another nail in the coffin. 

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
38 posts
13 minutes ago, MrConway said:

I have to ask, how much drink had you guys in the office had, when someone suggested having CB's over CHRISTMAS was a good idea.The person that came up with the idea should have been laughed at, had pencils thrown at them and told to stop being stupid.  I mean, you have 11 other months to pick from, but nope, pick the one month a VAST majority of Europe has family obligations....

Another fantastic idea from the genius crew at WG EU....

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[ADRIA]
Players
3,796 posts
6,526 battles

Like in the previous season, every clan will have two Ratings—Alpha and Bravo.

Lets give Storm, Typhoon and Hurricane players DOUBLE the ability to stomp Bronzies and Silvers, that surely will make fighting more equal!

I raised this point before the last season, it got completely proven during the season bcuz of how rampant the B-team sealclubbing ended up being, and you still think that somehow is a good system to keep? Really? :fish_palm:

Here's a much better way of doing it, sorry that I don't remember who suggested it during the last season:

• B teams rating is locked to the exact same as A teams rating, thus B team fights the same clans as A team would
  • B team doesn't lose or gain points, only A team does
  • B team doesn't earn the rewards (or B team has much higher requirements for the same rewards) as A team gets for wins in the league due to the "frozen" rank making them safe from falling out of it

That would be playing CB for the sake of playing CB or possibly trying out tactics and seeing how they work in practice, not because you'd like to get 10 wins in a row against Bronze puppies

• Cool 2

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,960 posts
26 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Apart from it indeed downright silly to have (major) events going on during the Holiday-season (and again with little or no time for recuperation from previous events), you've been so witty & wry as of lately I always look forward to your comments. When it's not for the actual info they provide, it's just for the subtle jabs and nudges.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,049 posts
2,170 battles
7 minutes ago, Reaper_JackGBR said:

I'm sorry Conway, that simply sounds condescending. 

Reorganizing the timing of the Halloween event (which lasted almost two months over a single holiday), not doing Ranked, then two Ranked Sprints then Clan Battle testing all one after the other, all of that could have meant we didn't have to play CB's over Christmas. 

Also, yes, we  remember about the last time you said to spend time with family over Christmas, it was years ago, that is not a point of reference anymore. If those at Wargaming actually you know, read their official forum, you would see that player burnout is becoming much more widespread of late. Jesus I wrote an entire thread of listed points that I felt were leading to it, and 2000 views later, not a single person has completely disagreed with those points. 

As a result of that, a lot of simply won't be around to play those future clan battles if we miss parts of this one. Consider that for a moment. 

This is just another faux pas. A big one. Consider it another nail in the coffin. 

I actually just added @MrFingers excellent post on burnout and time-gating to my feedback report, I very much read what is happening here.

Timing could have overall been much better with our activities, this much we know, but due to the upcoming carrier rework we had to make some compromises here and there.

We intentionally made this season longer to make sure people had enough of a chance to play. You should be able to do both in the long time frame available.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,049 posts
2,170 battles
1 minute ago, MrFingers said:

Apart from it indeed downright silly to have (major) events going on during the Holiday-season (and again with little or no time for recuperation from previous events), you've been so witty & wry as of lately I always look forward to your comments.

I know that was a cheeky comment, but as the person who was on duty back when that whole episode occurred I figure the universe owes me the chance to have some fun with it now.

That was a weekend that I would have gladly skipped.

Do you really think that having a two month event with Christmas in the middle is such an issue? At least for my side Christmas takes up... a week?

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
889 posts
7,401 battles
1 minute ago, MrConway said:

I actually just added @MrFingers excellent post on burnout and time-gating to my feedback report, I very much read what is happening here.

Timing could have overall been much better with our activities, this much we know, but due to the upcoming carrier rework we had to make some compromises here and there.

We intentionally made this season longer to make sure people had enough of a chance to play. You should be able to do both in the long time frame available.

So in other words; your timing was compromised because of the CV rework...that's 'supposed' to have been being reworked for the past three years. 

Sorry, but knowingly being detrimental to one aspect of the game because of working on another aspect...that's shoddy management, and I realize you have no personal control over that. But that is my feedback on the matter. 

As for having enough time to play. Nope, talking to my clan right now and we've already gotten down to only a handful of our CW regulars being able to play more than three weeks in an eight week event. 

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
1,960 posts
1 minute ago, MrConway said:

At least for my side Christmas takes up... a week?

Yes, but there are also holidays where people go skiing (or in my case: raclette-ing, because I think sports is a scam invented by chiropractors), but also exams, busy times in companies due to end-of-year stuff that needs to be pushed,... I indeed see that the season has been extended, which is, in all fairness, a nice gesture!

[TEAR]
Players
10 posts
12,400 battles

And those who are accumulating xp free, we do not have access to borgoune, nor to the last tier 9 ships that have taken out, it is not fair. You should be able to acquire the ships, with free XP besides steel and carbon

[SCRUB]
Players
889 posts
7,401 battles
1 minute ago, MrFingers said:

Yes, but there are also holidays where people go skiing (or in my case: raclette-ing, because I think sports is a scam invented by chiropractors), but also exams, busy times in companies due to end-of-year stuff that needs to be pushed,... I indeed see that the season has been extended, which is, in all fairness, a nice gesture!

100% agreed. 

Christmas is more than a week of celebration. There are families to visit, vacations to go on, end of year Company assessments to deal with (and inventory for those companies, new fiscal year calculations etc.) In the UK Christmas lasts from the 24th-26th directly because of Boxing Day, which is a CW day. Most people through one way or another will need three to four weeks over the Holiday Season, at minimum. 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,151 posts
9,305 battles

Let me preface this my apologizing for my antagonizing tone in the original comment. I was a bit miffed at that point but it's hardly a good way to start what should be an honest discussion.

42 minutes ago, MrConway said:

I'm sorry, but that reasoning has a big, glaring hole in it.

It's true you can't please everyone and that there's always something you can't account for when planning event schedules. But christmas and new year isn't exactly something that should surprise anyone. And compared with the plethora of unknowns that might displease people if you had a different schedule it's damn well plain obvious how setting CBs smackdab intersected by christmas would displease others.

Between choosing a vague, unknown possibility and a known one, it should be obvious which one is the easiest to circumvent.

So please, consider that for future event planning.

14 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Do you really think that having a two month event with Christmas in the middle is such an issue? At least for my side Christmas takes up... a week?

I can obviously not speak for anyone else, nor claim that my case is the average but I live abroad from my family and really only get to see them once a year over christmas and new years. All things in total that's close to three weeks of me having very limited access to a PC (for control over which I'm going to have to fight my father) and my family would understandably not like me shutting myself in over a couple hours long CB session multiple times a week.

And even without all those quite physical limitations I'm fairly sure that even people with access and time to play CBs over that time wouldn't terribly mind if there wasn't CBs around, but instead (and that would be suggestion to fill in the blanks) have a more leisure (i.e.: not grindy) event stretching this time period.

If anything, having christmas (and new year) acting as a cooldown buffer in between competitive seasons might even be overall appreciated (I think we all know how stressful competitive gameplay can get, particularily Ranked).

So yeah, once more I plead with you guys to please consider tweaking the schedule for the future. That's all I'm asking.

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,049 posts
2,170 battles
14 minutes ago, VoodooFairy said:

@MrConway did you consider making the Stalingrad a rental ship for Clan Battles?

Convince me why its a good idea and I'll pitch it.

• Funny 2

[GREEK]
[GREEK]
Players
1 post
15,418 battles

Good evening lads may I ask why, again, cant use both my T10 Cvs to CBs?

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Players
4 posts
7,449 battles
Just now, MrConway said:

I suspect you'll get a lot less grief from players/clans who don't have access to it currently.

TBH I do think it allows the 1BB limit to be circumvented to an extent. 

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
1,960 posts

What Voodoo says: it will level the playing field a bit more, and will yield statistics about the balance/"balance" of the ship because with rentals a wider playerbase (also "bad players") can get their hands on the ship. For now the stats do show it's kind of overperforming. Maybe that will tone down which proves the overperforming is because of the skilled players, not the ship.

[NED]
Players
1,613 posts
5,921 battles
15 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Uhm gathering performance data from a larger group with a wider skillspread ?

Scientific method requires more data and WG wants to balance stalingrad properly right  ?

Just because we also want to try that ship for ourselves is just a happy coincidence.

• Cool 1