You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BLUB__BLUB

Can I do better?

78 comments in this topic

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
2 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

The t9 probably isn't that bad. I just found the dispersion too trollish, and more importantly, there is absolutely nothing available for freexp that I am interested in, so why keep it.

@El2aZeR is going through the Lion atm, so let's ask him :)

But I think the Conqueror is good yes. In a high tier meta that is stale and passive as it is, the stealth gives good options, and the HE can let you deal with all the bowcamping [edited]. (for some reason everyone agrees the Monq HE is braindead (which it is), but I don't hear that many ppl saying that about the reverse bowcamping meta, as if that is the high point of genius play...)

The dispersion is somewhat wonky sometimes, but the AP is very reliable against both DDs and cruisers. Against BBs as well, though I still have to remember myself to aim somewhat higher.

Looks like I'll keep the IFHE on the captain then... :cap_rambo:

I know I know, it shouldn't work... still does (even on the Bone-Arghh)

BTW wanna know what is bad? A Colorado in a T9 game... 

[AAO]
Players
1,926 posts
9,983 battles
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

Looks like I'll keep the IFHE on the captain then... :cap_rambo:

I know I know, it shouldn't work... still does (even on the Bone-Arghh)

Please remove that skill, there are way better skills to take for that amount of captain points.

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
1 minute ago, Saiyko said:

Please remove that skill, there are way better skills to take for that amount of captain points.

They said so. Calculations also say so, nevertheless it had a VERY noticeable effect on the King George V.

No more shatters (and still NO shatters in Monarch) and the fire improved instead of getting less (which shouldn't).

The last one, well, maybe there's something WG is not telling (like pens having better fire than shatters).

But on KGV it got lots of salty chat due to the HE penning unsuspecting bow-on campers.

It may (probably) go into the bin when I do a re-spec, which will most likely be after the Monarch.

Unfortunately I haven't got the luxury of a free respec so it will take some time saving up. 

Just gathering points for now, a re-think is in order when I get the cap upto 19. 

[AAO]
Players
1,926 posts
9,983 battles
2 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Unfortunately I haven't got the luxury of a free respec so it will take some time saving up. 

So I checked your profile to see if you have any premiums, and I saw you have the hood. You know you can respec your captains with a premium right?

And also, no offense, but you seem to have other problems than worrying about your ability to pen with HE or the firechance of IFHE.

I'd recommend posting more replays, people here will be happy to provide commentaries.

• Cool 1

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles

So I checked your profile to see if you have any premiums, and I saw you have the hood. You know you can respec your captains with a premium right?

No? How? That captain is on the Hood too. AFAIK it still costs either dubloons, or FXP or cptXp.

And also, no offense, but you seem to have other problems than worrying about your ability to pen with HE or the firechance of IFHE.

I'd recommend posting more replays, people here will be happy to provide commentaries.

Nah, I know. That is WHY this thread is posted (check title), also it is why I am on the forum. 

WILL post more replays (and try to sift the useful from the salty comments). Must learn not to potato and get better.

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,098 posts
7,628 battles
38 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Oh crap. Then at least is the T10 better?

Lion is a lot better than Monarch thanks to actually useful guns and superheal. It was a decent ship, my biggest "meh" with her were the rear gun firing angles. Monarch has pretty much only one single great thing and that's the concealment. You could try to sneak up close to caps with your concealment and give some surprise help to your capping DDs.

Conqueror finally has nice firing angles. Overall for RN line, use the concealment to your advantage, and AP is also useful, esp as some people don't expect you to use it.

If you have Jack/Bert Dunkirk, I recommend to use it on Lion/Conq thanks to the boosted Jack of All Trades, which is important to cut down the long cool time of the superheal.

As for (Conq) captain skills, here's a thread:

I'll just say that there is more important 4 point skills than IFHE (honestly that skill is useless on RN BBs), like Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert. I recommend to respec the captain for Lion (and Conq) when you get there.

3 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

No? How? That captain is on the Hood too. AFAIK it still costs either dubloons, or FXP or cptXp.

Just put the captain you want to retrain into your premium ship of same nation and play. Premium ships have no "captain penalty" so you can use them to retrain captains for free.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,614 posts
15,210 battles
37 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Why would it be? If a more experienced player says so, it is confirmation of what I think.

Usually I end up somewhere between halfway and top-3 of team. Yes there are BBs that have higher damage.

But i do not see how camping and farming XP is gonna win the game. OK unless all reds drift in front of your guns... and you kill 'em all. 

This is what I do. I go in, close support of DDs. Usually I am in front of the cruisers... who will get blapped when they are too close.

Then I try to shoot a DD or some CL, and after that usually have to 'reprint' because of being burnt to a crisp (or die if I'm not quick enough on the getaway).

That is why my div-mate gets mega kills in the DD... I shoot up the ones that go for him, and unless it is a dev strike, he gets to put them down.

Only when it is one of those games where both teams have one base, then he spots and I get the main score.

Weeel, camping in a BB can sometimes be the wisest course of action (if you go in front of the Cruisers this also tends to ensure you get focused early on and this may not always be the best course of action but it really depends) - At first anyways, not all game. It saves your own HP for the critical strike, when the moment comes to act decisively. So occasionally it can be good and with some BB's like Yamato, for example. It is almost mandatory, since the ship itself was configured to be a pure long-range sniper. But a lot depends on what ship you are in at the time. You have to adjust your playstyle accordingly. Well, of course. :cap_hmm:

RN BB's are good mid-range and possess a nuclear HE so they are indeed ideal in dealing with pushy DD's(HE) or Cruisers(AP), they do suffer somewhat against other BB though, but Zombie-heal and joining forces with other BB's from your team will ensure this will not be an issue. I have 2 regular "playmates" (no regrettably not the sexier kind) with whom we usually run a DD/CA/BB division (for better MM and mutual support). Our standard battle formation is like this: DD leads, CA follows 5-6km behind it and shoots whatever gets spotted (but enemy DD's first, so unless spotted hold you fire from that distance you should not get spotted before our DD sees the enemy DD which we are looking to kill), BB again comes some 3-6km behind the CA and targets the DD first, then any enemy Cruisers, we see (radar first). RN BB's are well suited for this due to their good concealment, since they can approach closer before being spotted.:cap_look:

The idea of this system is, that we try to match both the CA and BB concealment distance to be at roughly the same distance, where our DD's is. So that when our DD gets spotted and also spots the enemy, our CA and BB are not yet spotted and get the first salvo in immediately hopefully killing the bugger instantly. After first salvo (or maybe already while firing it), our DD puffs smoke (but spot a bit while doing it) while CA/CL (usually me) will start maneuvering wildly to avoid getting insta-citadelled and so will have to either turn away or to steer behind a nearby island cover (if any available) and the BB should either start reversing a tad prior to an anticipated encounter or to steer towards nearby cover as well. At this stage the BB is still some 12-15 km away from the spotted enemy so the danger of getting torp'd is small. as said before DD will also release smoke instantly to provide some cover to duck / turn behind. We try to plan the route (and which direction to turn to) in advance depending on location(s) of nearby islands and anticipated enemy movement / positions. Of course, if we are dead wrong on the last one, we may well be truly fuc*ked too, but overall this has worked pretty well so far. We usually do get the enemy DD anyways. If the situation looks promising, I will join our DD in the cap circle with my Cruiser just to make sure it will be taken quickly and in case more enemy DD show up. Of course, when implementing this plan one has to take into account the individual ship's concealment ranges and adjust the distances between ships accordingly. German, RN and French BB's are in my opinion the most suitable for this type of direct capping support. :cap_old:

[UNICS]
Players
61 posts
17,447 battles
Vor 13 Minuten, BLUB__BLUB sagte:

No more shatters (and still NO shatters in Monarch) and the fire improved instead of getting less (which shouldn't).

The last one, well, maybe there's something WG is not telling (like pens having better fire than shatters).

But on KGV it got lots of salty chat due to the HE penning unsuspecting bow-on campers.

could also be some conciousness hacking. you expect it to work so it does work. (even if it does not).

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
6 minutes ago, WolfGewehr said:

Lion is a lot better than Monarch thanks to actually useful guns and superheal. It was a decent ship, my biggest "meh" with her were the rear gun firing angles. Monarch has pretty much only one single great thing and that's the concealment. You could try to sneak up close to caps with your concealment and give some surprise help to your capping DDs.

Conqueror finally has nice firing angles. Overall for RN line, use the concealment to your advantage, and AP is also useful, esp as some people don't expect you to use it.

If you have Jack/Bert Dunkirk, I recommend to use it on Lion/Conq thanks to the boosted Jack of All Trades, which is important to cut down the long cool time of the superheal.

As for (Conq) captain skills, here's a thread:

Very handy, thanks. I sort of agree with most. 

I'll just say that there is more important 4 point skills than IFHE (honestly that skill is useless on RN BBs), like Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert. I recommend to respec the captain for Lion (and Conq) when you get there.

I agree it is useless on most, never had it before KGV and the puny guns that can't penetrate anything.

Fire Prevention is a skill I think is BS, never had more than two anyway, only had three on the Colorado, just once.

Unless Lion and Monarch burn better... I'd probably pick AFT and CE. CE not being much use if I keep playing like I do (that is: damn close).

Just put the captain you want to retrain into your premium ship of same nation and play. Premium ships have no "captain penalty" so you can use them to retrain captains for free.

Must be me being dumb, he is on the Hood often enough, but I never noticed the re-spec being for free.

Can be used to retrain for a new ship, yes. But... Re-spec, how? I don't see it. Please tell.

5 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Weeel, camping in a BB can sometimes be the wisest course of action - At first anyways, not all game. It saves your own HP for the critical strike, when the moment comes to act decisively. So occasionally it can be good and with some BB's like Yamato, for example. It is almost mandatory, since the ship itself was configured to be a pure long-range sniper. But a lot depends on what ship you are in at the time. You have to adjust your playstyle accordingly. Well, of course. :cap_hmm:

So, the problem is I need to learn when to camp... bah. I do not like camping. Maybe I can stand it if I call it 'excersize area control'. 

Indeed I see many Yamatoes (or that free XP one, Sashimi or what) camping. I always put a few holes in them (or fires on them) before making REALLY sure he can't hit me. 

RN BB's are good mid-range and possess a nuclear HE so they are indeed ideal in dealing with pushy DD's(HE) or Cruisers(AP), they do suffer somewhat against other BB though, but join forces with other BB's from your team and this will not be an issue. I have 2 regular "playmates" (no regrettably not the sexier kind) with whom we usually run a DD/CA/BB division (for better MM and mutual support). Our standard battle formation is like this: DD leads, CA follows 5-6km behind it and shoots whatever gets spotted (but enemy DD's first, so unless spotted hold you fire from that distance you should not get spotted before our DD sees the enemy DD which we are looking to kill), BB again comes some 3-6km behind the CA and targets the DD first, then any enemy Cruisers, we see (radar first). RN BB's are well suited for this due to their good concealment, since they can approach closer before being spotted.:cap_look:

KGV had crap AP, could hardly citadel a lower-tier cruiser. It did have arsonist HE though. Monarch has good AP (bu it better than QE or Hood, but hey, tier 8...), the HE is mediocre.

I only have 1 regular divmate, we do the same sort of thing, using the RN BBs as fat cruisers. One stage less, so to speak.

The idea of this system is, ....

I do get the idea. We try to play that way too when we have 3 in a division. But I guess we need to be less potato, although usually it works OK.

We have better scores with 2x (or 3x) BB though, using 'the steamroller'. Sailing in '2-3km separate' battle line, very effective. Also good against CVs (I have Arizona).

Works very well if you have fast BBs, but go at half-speed. Then you can accelerate if needed. All fire at same ship untill it is dead, then next one.

4 minutes ago, 000_LULU_000 said:

could also be some conciousness hacking. you expect it to work so it does work. (even if it does not).

Yeah that is called confirmation bias. But it's not that. I played KGV long enough, the difference was noticeable immediately.

Even the reds noticed it, plenty salt in chat. I let my div-mate (happens to be my son... LOL) play it too, and he said it was amazing.

Maybe you should try (if that free re-spec is somehow working).

Alpha Tester
1,863 posts
5,458 battles
19 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Must be me being dumb, he is on the Hood often enough, but I never noticed the re-spec being for free.

Can be used to retrain for a new ship, yes. But... Re-spec, how? I don't see it. Please tell.

If you want to train a captain to use a different ship, send him to said ship and pay 200k to retrain. Usually, his/her skills will lose 50% effectiveness until the retraining period is over. However, premium ships do not have this disadvantage; that is, you can put a captain who's undergoing retraining on a premium ship without suffering from the penalties.

As such, premium ships are a good way to retrain captains if you do not have elite captain XP to finish the retraining after you paid 200k or don't want to use doubloons.

Players
3,230 posts
7,373 battles
14 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

OK, maybe the better players here would like to take a look.

Maybe it's me but maybe it's the cart of potatoes this potato gets thrown into, I dunno anymore.

Getting to grips with the Bone-Argh, I like it better than the KGV, almost like I am in the Queen E again... except...

THIS (replay somehow not saved) is usually what happens. I'm busy doing my job, end up top-3, with a meagre score and a loss.

If I get a good long game I can get 80-90k, and I think more is possible. But usually the team gets overrun or wins by overrunning the other team.

This time seemed they had killed half the team while I was not looking, and then I got 5 of them after me.

I did not manage to survive long enough to witness the capping point run up to 1000 (by one sec).

Now... what? Any ideas? or should I just farm damage and not give a flying F?

Reveal hidden contents

1413772089_Mon1.thumb.jpg.577b68a031c8734883c69e225d042d8f.jpgMon_2.thumb.jpg.0434faaec2eae2fbca37b25c5c997c32.jpgMon_3.thumb.jpg.402211f8f74e192cf949f75564fe69ee.jpg

Hi! :Smile_honoring:

Here and this will also help though it's about a different ship. It's about positioning and what to do when.

My take on Monarch:

Take dual spotter plane and CE and use your conceilment to get close to the enemy and blap them in the face :cap_like:

When you get into trouble, use your romulan cloaking device and gtfo and heal back.

If you get spotted by a DD and think they are close (or torping you already), pop spotter planes and start moving to some allies and/or some islands as DDs dislike you being close to islands as this blocks their torp alleys.

I used HE most of the time and had the anniversary camo equipped.

My final stats with Monarch:

4 Monarch   Monarch 8 U.K. 70 70% 1 428 65 945 0.89 0.81 Details

It was my first tier 8 BB and I made it work even though this ship is disliked for some factors like it's inaccurate guns.

I think this ship is excellent at learning to not camp in the back but to get in close and blap them with HE so you actually get rewarded isntead of having shatters and bounces. The HE doesn't do a super high amount of damage though, but just keep shooting the enemy and be agressive. You can't really get citadelled, so risky behavior is not punished as much and for this ship you need to play it risky and daring.

It's about positional gameplay, this ship needs it.

• Cool 2

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
6 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

If you want to train a captain to use a different ship, send him to said ship and pay 200k to retrain. Usually, his/her skills will lose 50% effectiveness until the retraining period is over. However, premium ships do not have this disadvantage; that is, you can put a captain who's undergoing retraining on a premium ship without suffering from the penalties.

As such, premium ships are a good way to retrain captains if you do not have elite captain XP to finish the retraining after you paid 200k or don't want to use doubloons.

I do that, just the re-spec is what we're talking about. 

4 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Hi! :Smile_honoring:

Here and this will also help though it's about a different ship. It's about positioning and what to do when.

Thanks, but I think I have most of that. Usually I do not die too quickly. Also I know what side to take (learned that from slooowww US BBs),

eh well, it's always a guess which side has the most potatoes though.

My take on Monarch:

Take dual spotter plane and CE and use your conceilment to get close to the enemy and blap them in the face :cap_like:

I have the dual spotter plane (usually one gets shot down, that's why)... and the extra quick cooldown to use them more.

When re-speccing captain I'll probably get the CE instead of IFHE. Though I'll probably get something else (AFT) before I get CE,

as I have no problems with that now anyway (lots of islands...).

When you get into trouble, use your romulan cloaking device and gtfo and heal back.

That's a given. I now have started to think ahead for where I can hide...

I have ~10k concealment, so I try to get no further than that unless I have to (chasing DDs).

If you get spotted by a DD and think they are close (or torping you already), pop spotter planes and start moving to some allies and/or some islands as DDs dislike you being close to islands as this blocks their torp alleys.

If I get detected I start changing course and speed. Not often that I eat torps.

I do have a tendency to seek the DD though and do the torpedo dance (imitate a cruiser). 

Yes pop the planes, load HE and shoot him. I like DD hunt but will only do so if usefull and/or quick and swift.

I used HE most of the time and had the anniversary camo equipped.

I always use camo, but usually I have the AP loaded. It's quite good really. HE at angled ships and DDs, by the book for once.

HE mostly in KGV though but it is so far the only one, except cruisers, where I used it lots. 

My final stats with Monarch:

4 Monarch   Monarch 8 U.K. 70 70% 1 428 65 945 0.89 0.81 Details

It was my first tier 8 BB and I made it work even though this ship is disliked for some factors like it's inaccurate guns.

Yes somehow it is less accurate than QE, Hood or even KGV. Weird. It has same guns as Hood and QE but with more dmg and shell velocity, should be better.

I think this ship is excellent at learning to not camp in the back but to get in close and blap them with HE so you actually get rewarded isntead of having shatters and bounces.

I never camped in the back. That may be a problem. Probably I have to learn when to camp.

Note: that is exactly why I put IFHE on the KGV. Still works. 

The HE doesn't do a super high amount of damage though, but just keep shooting the enemy and be agressive.

It does though, but depending on the enemy. On BBs usually you're bettr off shooting AP, unless they stay angled.

When shooting cruisers I see not much difference (maybe it is the IFHE? every hit = pen, 6300 dmg).

You can't really get citadelled, so risky behavior is not punished as much and for this ship you need to play it risky and daring.

The main problem, as usual, is burning down to a crisp. Or meeting a player in a German BB that has half a brain.

Or a player in a Yamato, Musashi or something big fat tierX that is not too lazy to change to AP, move his butt, blap a poor T8 BB.

Most of them aren't, once parked theystay parked and fire only 1 direction, so can be farmed from safe distance.

Or they (looking at you, broadside German boats) think they are invulnerable to AP or think maybe Monarch doesn't have any.

It's about positional gameplay, this ship needs it.

I'm probably not understanding that yet, but I'll try to learn. Thanks!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,863 posts
5,458 battles
29 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I do that, just the re-spec is what we're talking about. 

Then someone is confusing premium ships with elite captain XP, I think.

29 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I'm probably not understanding that yet, but I'll try to learn. Thanks!

Generally speaking, battleships want to stay close to the centre of the map and/or stay in a position where you can cover most of your own team and punish most of the enemy team. Some prime examples are to not go to flanks that cut you off from the rest of the map and to sail towards the centre cap when you have secured one of the flanks.

If HE spam is a problem, try to stay in positions where:

• you can easily stealth up
  • you can use islands as cover if things don't go according to plan
  • you have a destroyer in front of you which prevents enemy cruisers from disengaging

As for IFHE, the KGV will penetrate 115 mm of armour thickness with it (88 mm without) which will enable you to citadel some cruisers with HE that you normally wouldn't (the IJN have torpedo bulges that will greatly negate it though) but I'm not sure that it is worth the points over Fire Prevention and definitively not over Concealment Expert.

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
2 hours ago, Saiyko said:

but I don't hear that many ppl saying that about the reverse bowcamping meta, as if that is the high point of genius play...)

Funny thing is: if you have a non-braindead-team: Its so easy to deal with that. Just yesterday I had all the enemy BBs resorting to that "tactic". I mean one was an Izumo, the other a Musashi, granted, for them its ok to do so, especially when the other 3 BBs are doing the same :etc_swear:. I had fun watching in zoom, while our DDs torps travelled 10km towards that GKF, blowing it out of the water. Well, a little bit sad aswell, since I just had my BB positioned on his broadside. Best part was, that the same volley took out a transgender Zao (he thought he was a Worcester obviously), camping stationary at an island, spamming me with HE. #HighTiers

3 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I do that too... I call it 'can I get 100k with it'. Usually I can, no matter what ship... just the average damage leaves something to be desired.

Maybe try to look at the games, where you did high damage and compare it to the games, where you didnt do so good? Ask yourself:  What did I do different? Ive done this kind of analysis myself, since my stats were telling me, that I usualy deal too low damage. I came to the conclusion, that I have a problem of pushing aggressive enough, when most of the enemys are retreating. Thats why I often have a couple of minutes just travelling full speed over the map, to get to the next enemys. Its not a big deal concercing winrate, since it usualy happens, when games are already won or extremly campy anyway. But muh damage...

Anyway. Looking at 1 or 2 games only isnt enough (havent looked at your replay yet, will do for sure), its a longer process. One game can give you a wrong impression. Have to ask yourself constantly and question your decisions. Not so easy. Maybe the hardest part of "git gud". Learning how to shoot and to aim is easier - I know for a fact you know how to hit enemys, that cant be the problem. :cap_like:Maybe it also helps to watch some other players in the ships, you usualy play. Not super unicums like flamu, but rather some decent players with slightly above average stats. I personally find it easier to spot mistakes or learn something there. When you watch flamu play, its hard to gasp why he does all the things that he does. And he cant constantly explain them, else he would be talking about nothing else.

• Cool 1

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
4 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Then someone is confusing premium ships with elite captain XP, I think.

Might be. I am hoarding dubloons and the cpt XP, the last will come when I get 19pt captains. Also (WOWS wiki):

On occasion — such as Christmas or other holidays — redistribution is sometimes free of charge for a limited period of time.

Clan Battleparticipants have been enjoying one week of free redistribution at the beginning and one the end of Clan Battle seasons.

Generally speaking, battleships want to stay close to the centre of the map and/or stay in a position where you can cover most of your own team and punish most of the enemy team. Some prime examples are to not go to flanks that cut you off from the rest of the map and to sail towards the centre cap when you have secured one of the flanks.

Yeah, that's the point when the 'team decides'(or rather: when the potatoes appear to flow to) A and C instead of AB or BC.

Because what happens, if you stay too much near C, well, then you stay near the enemy. I planned on doing a 'cover the DD run' (since nobody else was) to A,

then return to B, and only when I saw the Lyon & the mess at B decided to go for C. 

If HE spam is a problem, try to stay in positions where:

• you can easily stealth up
  • you can use islands as cover if things don't go according to plan
  • you have a destroyer in front of you which prevents enemy cruisers from disengaging

Good call. I did hide behind the island (was expecting the Graf Spee to come closer). The DD was dead, meanwhile.

As for IFHE, the KGV will penetrate 115 mm of armour thickness with it (88 mm without) which will enable you to citadel some cruisers with HE that you normally wouldn't (the IJN have torpedo bulges that will greatly negate it though) but I'm not sure that it is worth the points over Fire Prevention and definitively not over Concealment Expert.

It will also pen angled bows that KGV otherwise would not, which makes a difference. Hard to calculate though but the effect is noticeable.

The AP on KGV is fine for citadelling broadside cruisers. Never had more than 2 fires so far (just had 3 on Colorado, yesterday) so I do not regard FP as much of a bonus (so far).

CE I have on most cruisers, before IFHE indeed. But 14% on 14.6 km = down to 12.55 km maybe worthwhile but well,

usually I operate at ~15km (with -3% camo) - or I go in full blast in which case it is useless anyway.

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
2 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Funny thing is: if you have a non-braindead-team: Its so easy to deal with that. Just yesterday I had all the enemy BBs resorting to that "tactic". I mean one was an Izumo, the other a Musashi, granted, for them its ok to do so, especially when the other 3 BBs are doing the same :etc_swear:. I had fun watching in zoom, while our DDs torps travelled 10km towards that GKF, blowing it out of the water. Well, a little bit sad aswell, since I just had my BB positioned on his broadside. Best part was, that the same volley took out a transgender Zao (he thought he was a Worcester obviously), camping stationary at an island, spamming me with HE. #HighTiers

Oh don;t you hate it and LOL at the same time when that happens. There's just one thing that makes me LOL even more.

Yesterday I had one of those spammers, he had positioned behind an island, and was shooting to his hearts content.

I  was aware of where he was though... even though he went undetected, I thought  he never moved, as he was still shooting.

...so I lined up the AP really carefully... was in Colorado... then 4 turrets single-fire... DEAD! Hahaha! Man the salt, hax-accusations et cetera in chat... LOLLLLL!

Maybe try to look at the games, where you did high damage and compare it to the games, where you didnt do so good? Ask yourself:  What did I do different? Ive done this kind of analysis myself, since my stats were telling me, that I usualy deal too low damage. I came to the conclusion, that I have a problem of pushing aggressive enough, when most of the enemys are retreating. Thats why I often have a couple of minutes just travelling full speed over the map, to get to the next enemys. Its not a big deal concercing winrate, since it usualy happens, when games are already won or extremly campy anyway. But muh damage...

Might be the case. I could be too careful. But i did study the replays where I got mega-damage. 

Usually it is when I am with a bunch of others, they all die and I get to clean up the leftovers. 4 kills, 100k+ damage. Nice. But mostly a loss.

Most of the time when I get low damage (well, 60k or so) it is when I am the one half-killing lots of ships, and THEY do the mopping up.

Sometimes it's just a total fail and we get roflstomped but I guess that happens every now and then to everybody.

Anyway. Looking at 1 or 2 games only isnt enough (havent looked at your replay yet, will do for sure), its a longer process. One game can give you a wrong impression. Have to ask yourself constantly and question your decisions. Not so easy. Maybe the hardest part of "git gud".

Yes it is. I'll upload more replays and see what you guys think. This one is just 'could I have gained more XP', because that game was just crap.

I scored 60k, but that's average, and ended up top of the pile of a losing team. If the game had lasted longer I'd have got more, but well. 

I just wonder if I could have done better. Maybe you guys can think of something, because I can't. Doubting moments:

- should I have gone B/C anyway and not followed the DD?

- should I have gone straight and not turned behind the island?

- should I have gone straight AFTER the turn and not made circle to join the Lyon?

- should I have gone in FRONT of the Lyon and tanked?

Learning how to shoot and to aim is easier - I know for a fact you know how to hit enemys, that cant be the problem. :cap_like:

Thanks! Hahaha yes that was fun eh. BOOM one, BOOM two, BOOM three... make 'em count in Hood, haven't got that many guns. You did better though (didn't go submarining).

Then again operations is like shooting at the fairground. When I know sort of where they go I can hit them pretty good.

Can do too in randoms, just where THEY go sometimes doesn't make sense  at all. 

As in: he must have seen those torps. So he surely won't go.... so I shoot... and then he goes straight into the torps anyway. Meh.

Must say this Monarch is worse shooting than Hood. And Queen E plus Arizona (most US BB actually) are rather better than Hood.

But the shooting is not the problem, it is a more general thing.

Maybe it also helps to watch some other players in the ships, you usualy play. Not super unicums like flamu, but rather some decent players with slightly above average stats. I personally find it easier to spot mistakes or learn something there.

I usually stay and watch until the end. But you can never be sure if the guy you're watching is actually any good or just lucky, or the reds that stupid.

When you watch flamu play, its hard to gasp why he does all the things that he does. And he cant constantly explain them, else he would be talking about nothing else.

Oh yeah I can do some of the stuff he does. Once. And then after that I die, and he lives and just kills the next one, somehow.

Mastered some tricks though, like shooting while turning, and shooting one-by-one turret, which helps. 

[NWP]
Players
4,640 posts
6,368 battles
5 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Just went to look at the replay, here my thoughts

blubb.thumb.jpg.59efd54950527b49357a121ebf89be86.jpg

Red line is your movement. The Grafspee was in C, and you went behind the island. Meanwhile on the minimap, half the enemy fleet was basicly at A (including HE spammers which were your biggest threat). Granted, there was a DD in C which you couldnt know becuase of the Graf Spee, but it took you 3 minutes to get back into the position you could have been right away. 1,5 minutes you were stuck behind the island where you couldnt shoot.

The green line/circle is were i like to be. Usually enemies are moving according to yellow arrow, so i can shoot their broadside (top gray arrow), while from your position you shoot at their bows. This wouldnt even be a big deal, because you were toptier (your AP can overmatch T6+T7 BB bows) but if you are lowtier, then you cant do too much, alltho shooting HE does ofc work. But still.

If there are enemies inside B, i can also shoot that way (left gray arrow), while you cant reach that from your position.

So basicly the biggest improvement is positioning. If you go too far out, and enemies are out of your reach then it takes very long to get back into the battle.

In this particular example would it have mattered? No. Your DDs were pretty bad (hatsuharu kept going into the corner despite being attacked by CV), the (i wanna say mahan) went through B and got stuck in the enemy fleet. Your DD at A might have been decent, but before you die, you can see your team running (4 ships) from an Icarus + an Atlanta giving them A aswell... also your other teammates didnt do anything really.

The only possible thing you could have done, might have been help secure B, if you would have been closer to that, maybe prolonging the game, but not really turn it around. Also you could have made a crossfire with your Lyon, while in C you were sitting on top of each other.

Also something in noticed:

Sometimes you look around and your turrets are turning with you. Then your guns are reloaded, but not on target, so you waste valuable time. Also you showed too much broadside too often. If you are T8, no BB can overmatch your bow except Yamato and Musashi. And ofc HE spam can hurt you, as the Lyon was shooting HE at you, but its still less than getting broadside pens for almost 4k from a gneisenau.

Its ok to slowdown sometimes (not broadside ofc^^), and wait a little bit.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,863 posts
5,458 battles
21 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

It will also pen angled bows that KGV otherwise would not, which makes a difference. Hard to calculate though but the effect is noticeable.

HE ignores angles/effective armour thickness though so the angling does not matter :cap_like:.

IFHE merely increases the penetration and in order to see if it is worth it or not, you have to look at what the ship can penetrate as it is and compare it to what the ship can penetrate with IFHE.

The 88 mm penetration of KGV is enough for most cases so the question is if the ability to citadel RN cruisers/Chappy/Schors/Seattle/French cruisers at certain areas (IJN cruisers if you pray to RNGesus to avoid the torpedo bulge that covers most of the citadel belt armour) with HE is worth 4 points. If you have both Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention then sure, but I would not pick it before that (if at all), especially since I prefer AP against cruisers anyway.

• Cool 1

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
5 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Just went to look at the replay, here my thoughts

blubb.thumb.jpg.59efd54950527b49357a121ebf89be86.jpg

Red line is your movement. The Grafspee was in C, and you went behind the island. Meanwhile on the minimap, half the enemy fleet was basicly at A (including HE spammers which were your biggest threat). Granted, there was a DD in C which you couldnt know becuase of the Graf Spee, but it took you 3 minutes to get back into the position you could have been right away. 1,5 minutes you were stuck behind the island where you couldnt shoot.

Yes, i saw they moved off to A - but that was 1. too far away and 2. who goed to that afterthought cap, when you are there you are stuck.

The green ring would indeed be the prefered position, but nobody went B... and nobody covered the poor DD to C.

This IS the kind of analysis I was looking for though. The 1.5 minutes indeed took too long. I was a bit 'in limbo' there.

The green line/circle is were i like to be. Usually enemies are moving according to yellow arrow, so i can shoot their broadside (top gray arrow), while from your position you shoot at their bows. This wouldnt even be a big deal, because you were toptier (your AP can overmatch T6+T7 BB bows) but if you are lowtier, then you cant do too much, alltho shooting HE does ofc work. But still.

If there are enemies inside B, i can also shoot that way (left gray arrow), while you cant reach that from your position.

That's a good point. What about, if nobody goes B? And would it (well, obviously as he was a potato, now we knoe...) be advisable to let the DD go alone?

So basicly the biggest improvement is positioning. If you go too far out, and enemies are out of your reach then it takes very long to get back into the battle.

Yes, it is something I have to learn. Might mean that is why I do too little damage.

In this particular example would it have mattered? No. Your DDs were pretty bad (hatsuharu kept going into the corner despite being attacked by CV), the (i wanna say mahan) went through B and got stuck in the enemy fleet. Your DD at A might have been decent, but before you die, you can see your team running (4 ships) from an Icarus + an Atlanta giving them A aswell... also your other teammates didnt do anything really.

That was the Maass, not the Mahan. I saw him going up north when I saw the Lyon. I knew it was wasted then, sort of a facepalm moment.

Basically I was turning to 1. see what the Spee would do (maybe surprise him) 2. getting back to B as C was, well, lost, basically.

And 3. I wasn't sure where the rest of the reds was - turned out, they were coming to A. Duh.

The only possible thing you could have done, might have been help secure B, if you would have been closer to that, maybe prolonging the game, but not really turn it around. Also you could have made a crossfire with your Lyon, while in C you were sitting on top of each other.

Good point, crossfire. I was thinking joining up with the Lyon would give some air-protection (combined AA) as I supposed that's where the planes would go.

They did get the Lyon, well, as far as I could gather. Although he blamed me for his two fires (ROFL).

Also something in noticed:

Sometimes you look around and your turrets are turning with you. Then your guns are reloaded, but not on target, so you waste valuable time.

Yep. Didn't know where to shoot next. Also, I do not know exactly how to prevent it.... except by locking on, but the DD was no longer spotting the Spee.

I did turn the turrets because I wanted to get to B, then decided well maybe follow our Lyon, cap A and make the most of it.

Also you showed too much broadside too often.

Remnant of KGV I guess. That one, you're better off showing broadside than nose. Note to self: must learn more about Monarch armour.

If you are T8, no BB can overmatch your bow except Yamato and Musashi.

Didn't know that. Also a remnant of KGV, I guess. Also I can hurt most other BBs pretty bad shooting IFHE on the nose.

And ofc HE spam can hurt you, as the Lyon was shooting HE at you, but its still less than getting broadside pens for almost 4k from a gneisenau.

Its ok to slowdown sometimes (not broadside ofc^^), and wait a little bit.

The problem of meeting a Lyon is he has so many guns he can't miss. Usually I try this trick, and usually the go broadside to get more guns on target.

They think the Monarch will not shoot AP... but this one will... Also I get somewhat careless when I see the game is sort of thrown and I'm almost full health. 

Thanks!

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
12 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Thanks! Hahaha yes that was fun eh. BOOM one, BOOM two, BOOM three... make 'em count in Hood

Yea, I still remember that "Oh, look, there is a nice cruiser broadside, lets get some citas...booom, BLUB_BLUB got him. okok. no problem. there is the next...BOOOM... WTF?!":Smile_veryhappy:

13 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Then again operations is like shooting at the fairground. When I know sort of where they go I can hit them pretty good.

Can do too in randoms, just where THEY go sometimes doesn't make sense  at all. 

Thats a good point and very true. Sometimes, some enemy makes such a dumb move, that it will actually get you killed. I remember a Donskoi rushing full speed through the cap right from spawn, detecing myself in Donskoi aswell, while I wasnt yet in the position I wanted to be. It actually got me killed. Him too, but that didnt help me much..

I think, its what so often refered to as situational / map awareness and positioning. I have developed some routines for maps and ships or maps and ship-combinations. Also, this is influenced, by the matchmaking. CV around? Am I top or low tier? How many DDs? I basically have a checklist, then I go through during the loading screen, which helps me decide my early gameplay. My mid-gameplay is usualy, that I react to what the enemys do. I try to look for oppotunities, how to create advantages for my side. Late game, when many peeps farm damage, is where im the worst at, my personal observation. So I will not give any advices there :Smile_coin:.

Now, I checked the replay. What my checklist tells me first: Toptier & CV in the game. Since your AA isnt the best, that makes it kinda tricky. I wouldnt have gone to the far outside of the map. Between B and C would have been a good idea I guess. Your Lyon is actually headding that way. You might have used your spotter plane at one point, to get some shots out, when you had nothing in range. But that moment tells you "hey, im too far away from the battle, something is wrong with my position" (its the same observation I made for myself). The funny thing is: this kind of careful play can even get you killed easy. If f.e. the CV would have flown around the flank - he would have sure attacked you without help. Or after you side collapses, maybe because you didnt support enough or your team got focused to hard - then its your turn. This has happened to me often, when I started to play slow BBs. I found myself raped by a bunch of enemys, until I noticed "dude, its your own fault". Its also whats happening in your game. Your backup was already sunk and then the enemys turn all against you. Now, could you have won this round if you would have played any different? I doubt it. CV doesnt do enough, your guys at A... and B is just given to the enemys for free. Lost game.

• Cool 1

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
29 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

HE ignores angles/effective armour thickness though so the angling does not matter :cap_like:.

IFHE merely increases the penetration and in order to see if it is worth it or not, you have to look at what the ship can penetrate as it is and compare it to what the ship can penetrate with IFHE.

The 88 mm penetration of KGV is enough for most cases so the question is if the ability to citadel RN cruisers/Chappy/Schors/Seattle/French cruisers at certain areas (IJN cruisers if you pray to RNGesus to avoid the torpedo bulge that covers most of the citadel belt armour) with HE is worth 4 points. If you have both Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention then sure, but I would not pick it before that (if at all), especially since I prefer AP against cruisers anyway.

I do too, but it's on there since King George the Filth. Served me well in that. 

Also I think pens have more firechance than shatters, somehow.

Will probably go CE or AFT when I have the points for a cappy re-spec.

[AAO]
Players
1,926 posts
9,983 battles
5 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

This IS the kind of analysis I was looking for though.

It is exactly what I said, except for the shiny pictures :Smile_coin:

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,740 posts
14,679 battles
4 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Oh crap.

Lion is kinda meh. You'll be praying a lot to RNGesus when playing her. In some games she performs extremely well, in others you'll struggle to do anything meaningful.

Still, overall she's not bad, just not good either. I'm willing to at least play that ship unlike that piece of garbage they call "Monarch".

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,323 posts
6,870 battles
18 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Yep. Didn't know where to shoot next. Also, I do not know exactly how to prevent it.... except by locking on, but the DD was no longer spotting the Spee.

I did turn the turrets because I wanted to get to B, then decided well maybe follow our Lyon, cap A and make the most of it.

Use right click. It locks your turret on place while you're looking around. Actually, get addicted to right clic. It gives you so much situational awareness. Stay in sniper mode and between two salvo stay on right click to get out of sniper while you reload.

One thing in this game is KEEP. LOOKING. AROUND.

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

Yea, I still remember that "Oh, look, there is a nice cruiser broadside, lets get some citas...booom, BLUB_BLUB got him. okok. no problem. there is the next...BOOOM... WTF?!":Smile_veryhappy:

Actually I can get the Phoenix with just the rear guns or just the front pair (which I did)... were you there when I one-shotted the T4 BB? Whammo. Instakill.

Hood < 10km is really great. Too bad never managed to get that CV King before he even left the harbour, that was disappointing. Better next time though.

Thats a good point and very true. Sometimes, some enemy makes such a dumb move, that it will actually get you killed. I remember a Donskoi rushing full speed through the cap right from spawn, detecing myself in Donskoi aswell, while I wasnt yet in the position I wanted to be. It actually got me killed. Him too, but that didnt help me much..

In this case I was expecting the Graf Spee to either chase after me or get to the other side of the island. Anyway to give me a broadside if I pulled a stunt.

I think, its what so often refered to as situational / map awareness and positioning. I have developed some routines for maps and ships or maps and ship-combinations. Also, this is influenced, by the matchmaking. CV around? Am I top or low tier? How many DDs? I basically have a checklist, then I go through during the loading screen, which helps me decide my early gameplay. My mid-gameplay is usualy, that I react to what the enemys do. I try to look for oppotunities, how to create advantages for my side. Late game, when many peeps farm damage, is where im the worst at, my personal observation. So I will not give any advices there :Smile_coin:.

I should learn the maps a bit better. Also, sometimes I get new ones as I am now having my first T8 ship.

In older maps like Twin Brothers and such That is indeed what I do. 

Now, I checked the replay. What my checklist tells me first: Toptier & CV in the game. Since your AA isnt the best, that makes it kinda tricky. I wouldnt have gone to the far outside of the map.

Normally I wouldn't have. Just that poor DD, doing the sensible thing (C) and nobody covering him. 

I'm not much worried about AA, on Monarch it is Ok compared to other ships (and use WASD hax). It has a fat heal too (I use the premium, got 150 of them). 

Also, most CVs are duds and if it's a good one you're dead anyway if he wants it. So CVs I treat rather 'fatalistic'. If I can, I stay close to other ships though (combined AA throws off torp aim).

Between B and C would have been a good idea I guess. Your Lyon is actually headding that way.

Yeah would have been better. It would have left the DD without cover though.

You might have used your spotter plane at one point, to get some shots out, when you had nothing in range.

Most times when I use it is in the beginning of the game, to shoot at campers. 

But then they must be detected. Usually I use it to the fullest, if lucky I start a perma-fire or devstrike a hiding cruiser.

But that moment tells you "hey, im too far away from the battle, something is wrong with my position" (its the same observation I made for myself).

yeah does. Or it tells me: we're good, we killed everything this side of the map. 

And then you get surprised by a hidden camper that shoots you in half. 

Note to self: always press tab and see if there's one 'missing'...

The funny thing is: this kind of careful play can even get you killed easy. If f.e. the CV would have flown around the flank - he would have sure attacked you without help. Or after you side collapses, maybe because you didnt support enough or your team got focused to hard - then its your turn. This has happened to me often, when I started to play slow BBs. I found myself raped by a bunch of enemys, until I noticed "dude, its your own fault". Its also whats happening in your game. Your backup was already sunk and then the enemys turn all against you.

Yeah, I'd seen that - after the Lyon died, basically that was it. If a fat BB hd been near I'd have rammed him LOL.

Now, could you have won this round if you would have played any different? I doubt it. CV doesnt do enough, your guys at A... and B is just given to the enemys for free. Lost game.

I know, but could I have scored more dmg?