Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Erik_Aukan

Please do something about tier 8 matchmaking

41 comments in this topic

[STEG]
Players
88 posts
9,226 battles

Tier 8 seem to be the absolute worst tier for matchmaking at the moment, most of the time you are getting trown into games together with 90% tier 10s, having to survive against ships you really can  not fight on a fair level. 

I think it's time to fix the matchmaking for tier 8, making tier 8 face same tier most of the time, and higher tiers drastically less.

• Boring 3

[STEG]
Players
88 posts
9,226 battles

every time you are dropped in a tier 10 fight, you could as well just swear at the enemy ships, because all you can do is being more passive. If it takes longer to find a match, so be it. tier 8 are not supposed to fight tier 10s on a regular basis

• Cool 1

Players
976 posts
5,237 battles

I really stopped paying attention since being top tier in tier VIII happens so rarerly.

Even then it is still my favourite tier with many historical and famous ships. I do agree that sth has to be done make it slightly more comfortable to play.

• Cool 1

[STEG]
Players
88 posts
9,226 battles

9 minutes ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

I really stopped paying attention since being top tier in tier VIII happens so rarerly.

Even then it is still my favourite tier with many historical and famous ships. I do agree that sth has to be done make it slightly more comfortable to play.

It can still be somewhat fun, when tier 10 enemy players perform badly and are sitting broadside to you because they don't respect you. But there is very little you can do with a bow on Des Moines or a tier 10 battleship intent on killing you .

Tier 8 is the tier that requires most attention regarding balancing at the moment!

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,943 posts
13,435 battles

I wouldn't actually say it's the worst MM bracket atm. T6 imo is much more painful. At least you have some options as a T8 going up against T10s.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,187 posts
5,583 battles

Im with @El2aZeR on this one.

F.e. T8 vs T10 BB both bow on they bounce each other (unless its a Yamato).

But put a T6 BB vs a T8 BB, then the T8 BB overmatches the Bow of the T6 BB while T6 BB cant do that to the T8 BB.

Also for DDs the concealment is much worse on T7 compared to T8 because of the Concealment module.

Same could be said for some Cruisers like Hipper/Baltimore with their 27mm bow armor. They can tank all BBs up to 386mm caliber, which are ofc more present in T6-T8 than T9-T10.

[HAERT]
Players
1,580 posts
1,379 battles

I think it's mostly a bb issue tbh. I don't care too much about mm with the Cossack.

[TU]
Players
167 posts
4,653 battles

Why complain? With no power comes no responsibility. While you cannot easily carry you also cannot easily f*ck up anything. Go with the flow and enjoy the ride :)

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
3,792 posts
6,526 battles
1 hour ago, Erik_Aukan said:

Tier 8 seem to be the absolute worst tier for matchmaking at the moment

Tbh 5 is worse. Possibly even 6. 8s vs 10s at least stand a chance. 5s vs 7s? Not unless you're a premium ship

31 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

I think it's mostly a bb issue tbh.

t8 BBs have the same 32mm as t10. How is that an issue?

Players
976 posts
5,237 battles
38 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

I think it's mostly a bb issue tbh. I don't care too much about mm with the Cossack.

And I say it is cruiser issue the most. I don't care if I'm put in tier X in my Roma, Alabama etc. More damage to farm. 

Tier VIII DDs also handle quite well in tier VIII MM

[AS13]
Players
1,477 posts
1,724 battles

I hope they don't fix it, I'll soon reach T9 and T10, will finally feel how it is to be on the other side...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Funny 4

[BS4]
Players
705 posts
4,960 battles

Tier 8 has always been a bit of a piss take IMO. I mean ok I can muster the fact that im playing against tier 10's but MORE tier 10's than 9's!!! What happened to the descending order?!

kI9GuY1.jpg

That's just not right surely?

Beta Tester
3,745 posts
13,267 battles
2 hours ago, urr027 said:

Why complain? With no power comes no responsibility. While you cannot easily carry you also cannot easily f*ck up anything. Go with the flow and enjoy the ride :)

The problem that shows up most often though is, that as a T8 you end up in a team full of T10 potatoes and then have to try to carry the battle... which, if it works, can be fun... nothing better than ending up in the #1 slot of the winning team in a T10 battle with a T8 cruiser, way ahead of any of the mighty T10 BBs... *löl*

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[STEG]
Players
88 posts
9,226 battles
24 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

The problem that shows up most often though is, that as a T8 you end up in a team full of T10 potatoes and then have to try to carry the battle... which, if it works, can be fun... nothing better than ending up in the #1 slot of the winning team in a T10 battle with a T8 cruiser, way ahead of any of the mighty T10 BBs... *löl*

True, that's happened some times, but you struggle with range, gunpower, reload time and HP, most of the time it feels like tier 10 on hard mode. Even the DDs can kick a cruisers butt.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,745 posts
13,267 battles
7 minutes ago, Erik_Aukan said:

True, that's happened some times, but you struggle with range, gunpower, reload time and HP, most of the time it feels like tier 10 on hard mode. Even the DDs can kick a cruisers butt.

I know just too well how it feels sometimes... I have the tendency not to stay in a battle after I get sunk and not to play a ship more often each day than it takes to get the first win. So I usually play a lot of different ships each day. And right now, with RN DD missions calling for high numbers of everything and me still trying to do the US cruiser mission chain that means I'm playing about each of my T8/9 ships at least once per day (or more, 'til the first win).

As that "after X battles as lowtier You get a battle as high tier" only seems to work WHEN YOU KEEP PLAYING THE SAME SHIP (!!!!!) I am used to have five to six battles on T8 being the lowtier.

Doesn't matter much to me, when I'm in a DD. It can work out when I'm in a T8 BB - Bismarck can do the job... - but it usually is a struggle in a T8 cruiser...

The better it feels, when you really make it to the #1 slot in a T8 Cruiser in a T10 battle... ^^

[SOCKS]
Players
771 posts
5,479 battles

T8 DDs are mostly fine when uptiered. Well, you get to see a crapton more of radars when uptiered, but they don't fare much worse than a T10 one.

T8 BBs just lack firepower for the most part, except of the 16'' gunned ones (american and japanese). The ability to deal with bow on heavy cruisers is extremely important when uptiered, so those do roughly OK. The others (french, german, brits) with 15'' guns really get the shaft because there's nothing more obnoxious than seeing a bow on Hindenburg or DM and be completely unable to do real damage to them while they're consistently murdering you or, in the case of the hinden, coming full speed to give you a full volley of torps at close range.

T8 cruisers get the shorter end of the stick by far. The lack of a heal and the much more accurate BB guns they face up there in T9/T10 is a real killer. Those REALLY suffer from the current state of things.

whatever the case, it's a serious issue, and one that should be adressed. That ships do better or worse when uptiered shouldn't be an argument here, in fairness all tiers should see a roughly equal spread of Top/mid/bottom tier games and T8 certainly doesn't see that tiering most of the time.

• Cool 4

Players
57 posts
2,219 battles

Generally speaking if it's anything like WOT playing at T9 and T10. Many people don't want to play at that level all the time because it cost you credits each match to repair the ship for another one at T9/T10.  So you're always going to get T8 ships up-tiered into T10 matches to make up the shortfall of needed ships for full teams playing at that top level. No different really from WOT

I suspect it's the same here with WOWS like it was playing WOT. That T8 is the highest level you can play for free before it's starts to cost you credits each battle at T9 and T10. Even worse, WOT never had any T9 prem tanks you could buy and use, not like WOWS has.

My point being. T8 will always be dragged into T9 and T10 matches to make up the numbers.

Beta Tester
170 posts
5,832 battles

I kept some of my own statistics to see how the matchmaking worked for various tiers to see how biased/favourable it was to each tier when it came to the +/- 2 problem.  Obviously there was no point in keeping score for T9, which at most is only ever -1, or T10, which is always top tier.  Likewise the same problem doesn't happen from tier 1 to 4 as they have favourable match making to help newbies get started.  So the figures I have are for tiers 5 to 8 and are spread over a total of more than 500 games.

You would think that games would be spread evenly between being -2, -1 or top tier.  Not so, and it varies from tier to tier.

Of 119 games played at T5, 68 were -2.  That's 57% of those games at tier 5 being at the bottom of the pile.  -1 and top tier games out of those 119 games were 23 and 28 respectively.

For T6 games the figures are : 132 games played of which 31 were -2, 75 were -1 and 26 were top tier.  So 57% of my tier 6 games were only -1, a rather better prospect than playing tier 5.

T7 is where the good news appears.  145 games played.  25 at -2, 40 at -1 and a whopping 80 as top tier (that's only 55% though).  Now we see why tier 5 is so bad.

Finally T8.  163 games with 80 at -2, 28 at -1 and, surprisingly, 55 as top tier.  So that's a smidge less than 50% as -2 tier, but a third as top tier. 

I have to say that when playing T8, it does feel like you have more -2 tier games, and fewer top tier games, than these figures would suggest, but I guess that's how perception works.

My conclusion, based on these numbers from my own games, is that if you want a better chance of being top tier without the expense of playing T10 all the time, T7 seems to offer the best odds.

• Cool 3

Players
340 posts
3,871 battles

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be.  Had a guy complain the other day about his Bismarck in a TX game.  Sure you aren't going to be the biggest threat but when you're up -tiered like that, you need to focus on ships of your tier and then try to hang back for the late game madness. That's when you're on more even footing with damaged higher tiered ships.  AND, it's nowhere near as bad as WoT where it's impossible to do damage. You are still an asset. 

hell, i  went over to go play with my OBj 252u to see what the fuss is about-and played 40 games. TWO of which I was top tier.  Now that is bad t8 mm, and inexcusable. 

[L4GG]
Players
1,420 posts
5,772 battles
6 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I wouldn't actually say it's the worst MM bracket atm. T6 imo is much more painful. At least you have some options as a T8 going up against T10s.

No, it isn't.

t6 ships are still my favourite ones, I don't mind being down tier with them. The gap between t8 and t10 it's so much bigger than t6 vs t8.

t6 ships are more agile than t8 ones, quicker to response and smaller.

For the first time I'm contemplating to change the usual rudder module to the engine one.

At the moment, I'm kind in purgatory (gridding the upgrades via co-op ) playing hide and seek always keeping in mind a way out, because t8 ships simply don't have stopping power. e.g. Buddy, Shcohrs 5 x2 torps, chappy 3x2 torps + much bigger opponents with huge HP  and God forbids if you are caught in the open because you can be blapped by a guy  in the other side of the map, literally . Gameplay it's much more limited.

In a T8 ship you don't want to be annoying, you don't want to call attention to you because as soon those canons turn to you, it's sleep with fishes time. All you have  is damage over time in the small windows that you can advantages of. That is what I expect from Random from what I've seen so far.

MM it's more favourable to t6 than to t8, and things are more easily done with a t6 than with a t8... for now.

I don't know what will be of cls in the near future with the IFHE upcoming changes, according to Flamu, Wargaming stated that will be a trade of, without giving much more in advance.

I have Charles Martel and I like it but despite my time off, I can see what they mean by trade of. Nerfing the DPM by 2 sec? and slapping a consumable to shoot faster for 15 seconds, why? I don't know.

At least for now I disagree with your statement.

Players
1,475 posts
10,286 battles

I'm having a blast grinding my secondary specced Bismarck atm (since i didnt win it back in the Hunt for Bismarck collection).

The HE spam is sometimes rather strong and persistent, but usually if sailed defensively enough, I usually end up doing at least my hp's worth of damage.

Its mostly the tier 8 cruisers having a tough time, DDs and BBs are fine if played conservatively (Cleveland for instance is an absolute turd on Tier8. glad I did most of the grind in Operation Cherry Blossom)

Sign in to follow this