Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

General Game play

24 comments in this topic

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles

Is it me or are more and more games becoming very embarrassing, with very one sided battles, AFK's also seem to be increasing, instantly leaving a team handicapped, especially if it's one of your better ships.

While XP and free XP are fine for damage and in battle merits, given that it's a Team Game, i often see very little of it in action (playing as a Team), mainly I think because the points return is zero.  I'll give you an example having worked thru the British Cruiser line up to the Mino (T10), I have provided smoke and cover for many friendly BB's, which have helped my team win, but resulted in me either being sunk or with very little points.   (E.g I provided smoke for a very severally damaged Tirpitz and spotted for him), had i not he'd have been dead within a minute, he went onto survive the battle and my team won, whilst a Fiji is a great ship, a Tirpitz is even better (unless one meets my Mino ;-) ),  my action was rewarded with very few points.   I was also called all manner of things when in my Neptune I covered our Carrier (I still finished in the top 5), BTW the Neptune and Minotaur eat planes for breakie and smoke also surrounded the carrier.

There is a reason Wargaming set the ships up the way they do ; dd's in front, cruisers in the middle and BB's at the rear with carriers, and imho that's how teams should go forward, sadly working thru the Jap BB line I now see a total different complexion, a few DD's and ALOT of cruisers run if they see more than 2/3 red ships, leaving you in your much slower less maneuverable BB high and dry, e.g 2 good cruisers were with me going forward at about 19 kts , they stopped and hid while I got taken out; the red DD hiding on the right doing a lot of damage, as i was focused on the BB in front of me, had the brave cruisers continued with me they'd have pre-occupied and probably destroyed the Destroyer and the battleship would've been next, a second friendly BB followed my path, once again the 2 brave cruisers sat and watched as he too was dispatched.  Result; A loss.  Yesterday I also watched a Mass DD run away and not support a KGV, the two of them would'be sunk the enemy BB, the BB that actually ended up winning the game for the Reds (Sole survivor).      Laughably some players broadcast "I'm going after the ship " (usually a carrier,) "for the Team", as they plough right thru the unguarded enemy cap. 

Given the bravery of a lot of players I do wonder if Wargaming has ever considered Duel, or teams of same ships; 12 bb's vs 12bb's, imagine that, a right slug fest ;-), mind you a cruiser fight would see most ships run back to the start, and not the lightest scratch of paint.  Of course there are a lot of brilliant DD and Cruiser players, and they are the one's that usually see a team win, i.e they are the one's not the battleships or carriers that have the most important role; good guns, torps, smoke, radar, some with planes, fast, agile and at the higher tiers HP that make the fuso and warspite look weak, so when your key element goes running back to the rear, it's no surprise some teams get totally annihilated, I played in a 10 nil game yesterday, that should never happen, should it ?.

Players seem more interested in slagging each other off, incompetent players calling experienced players newbies because of their own incompetence, reporting you as AFK (because you haven't moved within 10 seconds),  and turning tail when more than 1 red is spotted.

Any chance of duels/same ship contests please ??

Wargaming should ask everyone how their game was more often, it's a great game and a lot of fun, if played correctly, fortnite's the game for individuals (and yes I solo won that), WOWS is for teams,  maybe Wargaming should recognize those that contribute to team's performance despite earning very few XP's.  Yes I have asked them !.

Having played with the Halloween subs (which btw is a lot of fun), I can see BB's becoming endangered as cruisers turn tail at the first sign of a periscope, for those that have  gone after Rasputin  you'll know how effective the DD's and cruisers are at protecting him, in reality and from what I often see, Octopus  and others would have returned to the start.   

• Bad 2

[ADRIA]
Players
3,833 posts
6,552 battles
18 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

I have provided smoke and cover for many friendly BB's

Doesn't work. learn game mechanics

19 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

my action was rewarded with very few points

Damage (% max hp not raw dmg - doing 1% to a BB is the same as doing 1% to a DD, even if that could be 1k dmg vs 200dmg), and to a lesser extent kills (kill = 15% of ships hp as dmg) are the only things really rewarded.

You do anything else = don't expect to get XP for it

22 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

There is a reason Wargaming set the ships up the way they do  (..) BB's at the rear with carriers

:fish_palm:

Yeah, no. BBs are supposed to be together with CAs, just behind their DDs. If you think you are supposed to sit at long range as a BB... that sure explains your BB stats. When you average 1 win in 3 battles, that should point out to you that you are probably doing something very very wrong

23 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

a few DD's and ALOT of cruisers run if they see more than 2/3 red ships

They wouldn't run if their BB was WITH them instead of sniping from max range 20km behind them

23 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

as i was focused on the BB in front of me

Were there DDs / Cruisers spotted? From your description sounded like at least 1 DD was. Should have focused those

24 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

I do wonder if Wargaming has ever considered Duel, or teams of same ships; 12 bb's vs 12bb's

Yeah, no.

This game is not a 1v1, so that's duels out right away

Same class 12v12? This would be the most boring cancerous crap ever, probably often ending in 20 min draws.

25 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

mind you a cruiser fight would see most ships run back to the start, and not the lightest scratch of paint.

I don;'t think you know what's a cruiser and what's a BB.

Cruisers are ships like Omaha, Furutaka, Fiji.

BBs are ships like Fuso, NewYork, Warspite.

99 cases out of a 100 BB's are the ones running without the slightest scratch on their ship leaving allied cruisers to die.

And looking at your main battery hitrates - which for you generally are between 10 and 18 % - you are one of these max range run at the first sight of enemy BBs

26 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

incompetent players calling experienced players newbies because of their own incompetence

Another one is incompetent players blaming their teams for their own shortcomings. If you get what I mean

26 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

reporting you

Does nothing. It's the weakest "threat" in the whole game

• Cool 6

[CATS]
Players
14,124 posts
10,571 battles

One sided battles were always a thing and I did not notice a change, probably because one sided battles against my teams are rare.

And no, BB in the third line is not what you should be looking for. BB occupying second line together with cruisers make more pressure on the enemy.

When you find yourself alone, it is usually a problem of map awareness.

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles
5 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Another one is incompetent players blaming their teams for their own shortcomings. If you get what I mean

It is entirely possible that you can have the perfect game and yet still lose?.    I don't proclaim to be a master, have only played the game for 3 months, and cracked supposedly the hardest Tier's of cruiser play (British), I'll admit I'm a novice at battleships, only at T6 ( but then only started what 2 weeks ago).

Have you gone to T10 in the Brit cruiser line ?.

My experience is as I say Cruiser play is key to a team's performance, yes you're right some BB's do turn tail, I can understand why, a bit, BIG ship all alone, after being or looking like being left high and dry.   I once was berated by a player because my Neptune (which had caused over 70k of damage), was taken out while engaging a fiji and battleship ? , isn't it just a game ?.

• Funny 2

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,481 posts
8,691 battles
4 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

I ... cracked supposedly the hardest Tier's of cruiser play (British).

Have you gone to T10 in the Brit cruiser line ?.

cracked the british cruisers? have you ever checked out your stats on a stat site, try it...

https://wows-numbers.com/player/556857936,MadBadDave/

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles
5 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

One sided battles were always a thing and I did not notice a change, probably because one sided battles against my teams are rare.

And no, BB in the third line is not what you should be looking for. BB occupying second line together with cruisers make more pressure on the enemy.

When you find yourself alone, it is usually a problem of map awareness.

Oh, driving Brit cruisers with glass Armour makes you very Map aware, and yes I do follow the cruisers, who as mentioned thus far (since getting the Fuso), turn, stop, hide or run, only this morning, as already mentioned myself and a Richelieu were dispatched, while 2 cruisers watched on.

A fuso's top speed is around 26 kts, about 6 or 10 less than a cruisers, and as also mentioned a player started moaning because I hadn't moved within 10 seconds of the start :-(

[CATS]
Players
14,124 posts
10,571 battles
3 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Oh, driving Brit cruisers with glass Armour makes you very Map aware, and yes I do follow the cruisers, who as mentioned thus far (since getting the Fuso), turn, stop, hide or run, only this morning, as already mentioned myself and a Richelieu were dispatched, while 2 cruisers watched on.

Then why is this happening to your BB? You see when your allies turn.

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles
4 minutes ago, Salentine said:

cracked the british cruisers? have you ever checked out your stats on a stat site, try it...

https://wows-numbers.com/player/556857936,MadBadDave/

Wow a comedian, yep my stats are bad, cracked, how did you do in Brit cruisers or Jap Battleships ?.

Nothing Constructive to add then ?, so to recap you've been in 8414 battles, I assume  you were amazing for the first 3 months ?.

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Then why is this happening to your BB? You see when your allies turn.

You'll know that when you get within 15k of the enemy (within spotted range for a fuso), whilst the Cruisers remain undetected, that turning and showing your broadside is suicide.   

And please do tell me if it's never happened to you?

The fact that the exact same thing happened to another BB driver, says it all.

As the person who's replied and played the most  games thus far; 2 questions;   

Wouldn't you say that a Cruiser, is the key to a good team performance ?.

Have you played the perfect game and still lost ?.

It took me ages (3 months) to find my preferred aiming sight, my cruiser aiming is a lot better, however the transition to BB aiming hasn't been great, despite getting a 4 goal haul, and doing very well in 1 v 1 BB brawls above 18k it's awful.  That said the common opinion is that 10-15k is the optimum anyway.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,481 posts
8,691 battles
11 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Nothing Constructive to add then ?

you want constructive? ok, you come across in you opening post as being an expert (despite only having played for 3 months), having seen various ships do this and do that, and how good you are in the british criusers, how bad the teams are - when you are among the worst players on your team, and then you complain about how little xp you get - it's because you do so little average damage, you do more you get more (in general).

and take note of wilkatis_LV's reply he makes a lot of sense...

• Cool 2

[ENUF]
Beta Tester
114 posts
9,732 battles

I can only advise you to stick to lower tiers for now and read up some guides especially for the spotting mechanic (BBs can't get much use out of smoke. Better use it for yourself or other cruisers).

[CATS]
Players
14,124 posts
10,571 battles
16 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

You'll know that when you get within 15k of the enemy (within spotted range for a fuso), whilst the Cruisers remain undetected, that turning and showing your broadside is suicide.   

And please do tell me if it's never happened to you?

Yes, when I was new or I daydream. But I know that I messed up.

You plot a course that allows you to turn without showing broadside. That is what islands are for.

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles
3 minutes ago, Salentine said:

you want constructive? ok, you come across in you opening post as being an expert (despite only having played for 3 months), having seen various ships do this and do that, and how good you are in the british criusers, how bad the teams are - when you are among the worst players on your team, and then you complain about how little xp you get - it's because you do so little average damage, you do more you get more (in general).

and take note of wilkatis_LV's reply he makes a lot of sense...

Did I say I was an expert or express an opinion, about the game and my limited experience in general ?.

I cracked; as in got to T10, as in you passed that exam by 1 point.

Worst would imply i was always bottom of the team results, no sorry.   

So when did you crack Brit cruisers ?.

As mentioned, probably because I thought it was a team game by supporting of battleships and carrier may explain that ?, the USS Nimitz doesn't sale off on her own.    for the next 6000 games I'll definitely do as you suggest focus more on my XP.

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Yes, when I was new or I daydream. But I know that I messed up.

You plot a course that allows you to turn without showing broadside. That is what islands are for.

I agree, but DD's are usually hiding behind said island, In reality Battleships are open sea warriors, all big sea battle's have been out at sea,  I'm keen to see what happens when subs are introduced next year.

[CATS]
Players
14,124 posts
10,571 battles

You should know behind which islands are DD or could be DD and select the islands accordingly.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,481 posts
8,691 battles
1 minute ago, MadBadDave said:

I cracked; as in got to T10, as in you passed that exam by 1 point.

why is it a race to T10? surely you would be better playing each ship to a reasonable standard before progressing, all you do is harm the team by not learning the way the ship plays, and not contributing...

• Cool 1

[FRFRE]
Players
10 posts
1,628 battles
11 minutes ago, Captn_Crap said:

I can only advise you to stick to lower tiers for now and read up some guides especially for the spotting mechanic (BBs can't get much use out of smoke. Better use it for yourself or other cruisers).

At last, thank you positive advice, oh don't worry I'm not going any further than the Fuso, despite my horrendous stats it's had 8 battles with a 50% win rate.

T10 BB fights are spectacular, huge chunks vanish in seconds, destroyers carpet torp, it's not for the feint hearted, funny that given how bad I am, I'm seeing a higher win rate using radar in my Mino over smoke, and also more XP ;-).

I disagree re BB and smoke, as I tended to go out and spot while the BB remained within, and I have provided smoke for A LOT of BB's which probably hasn't helped my cause.

[-AP-]
Players
539 posts
2,464 battles
2 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

At last, thank you positive advice.

You do know that negative feedback can be just as constructive as positive feedback? Most feedback you have got in this thread is harsh but true, you havent cracked anything, as that would imply at least having a neutral effect on the outcome of battles, not a majorly negative one.

You wont get any better until you accept that right now, you are very bad at this game. If you keep playing with the mindset that it is your allies fault that you lose a lot of matches, there is no way you will ever improve.

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
137 posts
3,243 battles

You don’t know that a smoked BB can’t shoot its guns or it will be sported, do you?

The average joe BB player in random usually goes past the smoke or shoots revealing his position, so you end up with a wasted consumable...

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
539 posts
2,464 battles
5 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

I disagree re BB and smoke, as I tended to go out and spot while the BB remained within, and I have provided smoke for A LOT of BB's which probably hasn't helped my cause.

The reason why smoking up bbs is a bad idea, is because as soon as they fire their guns, they get spotted from the other side of the map, wether they are in smoke or not...

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,481 posts
8,691 battles
5 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

At last, thank you positive advice, oh don't worry I'm not going any further than the Fuso, despite my horrendous stats it's had 8 battles with a 50% win rate.

T10 BB fights are spectacular, huge chunks vanish in seconds, destroyers carpet torp, it's not for the feint hearted, funny that given how bad I am, I'm seeing a higher win rate using radar in my Mino over smoke, and also more XP ;-).

but since the smoke nerf a while ago, BB's are spotted from the moon when shooting from smoke, so you're wasting your time, whilst thinking you did a good job...

• Cool 1

Players
3,110 posts
5,446 battles
1 hour ago, MadBadDave said:

Wow a comedian, yep my stats are bad, cracked, how did you do in Brit cruisers

I guess I have every right then to tell you, that you obviously have no clue what you are doing. Covering the CV with a Neptune?? Smoking a BB with a RN CL?? Your team did call you out for a reason.

[NWP]
Players
3,212 posts
5,611 battles

Have you gone to T10 in the Brit cruiser line ?

Im questioning the achievement in that :cap_hmm:

Everyone gets to T10 eventually... unless you are AFK every battle and earn 0 XP. Other than that, even minimal XP gain would get you to T10 at some point.

22 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

The only reason to smoke up a BB is, when he is close to die and smart enough to NOT shoot till he gets a heal. Smoking up healthy BBs is bad. They should be shooting (which pretty much makes them visible even inside the smoke), and they should attract enemy fire aswell, so that DDs/Cruisers have an easier time. Ofc you cant influence that because the enemy can choose whom he wants to shoot, but if a BB is invisble, then he doesnt even have to make a choise.

WOWS is for teams,  maybe Wargaming should recognize those that contribute to team's performance despite earning very few XP's.  Yes I have asked them !.

It is, isnt it? The team which plays well together usually wins. Sure we could debate if there should be MORE teamplay, but WG is moving away from that by making especially BBs more selfrelient (super AA, hydro against torps, no citadels and so forth)

Sign in to follow this