Sign in to follow this  
CPL_Sivi

Nelson worth fxp?

28 comments in this topic

[ORCS]
Players
140 posts
11,509 battles

I am on a roll collecting premium boats with fxp. Never managed to do it on time for missouri but got musashi instead. Now i am in a dilema, should i go for nelson or krohnstadt? I am few days of grind away from nelson but a lot of ppl seem kinda dissapointed with the boat. Krohnstadt is still far away fxp wise but i would hate to waste half of fxp i gathered on a wrong ship. I would appreciate any input possibly from owners of both ship to make my decision easier.

Thx in advance.

[CATS]
Players
14,060 posts
10,555 battles

She is a fun ship.

The question is how often would you play her.

I see that you just got the Salem which will earn you more credits than Nelson.

Nelson in itself offers you an interesting playstile, but you must be aware that she can be squishy against big guns.

[ORCS]
Players
140 posts
11,509 battles

Tier 7 is my stress release, my exhaust valve :). Every time high tier play earns me a nervous brakedown i take my gneise out and just shred everything in my path.... Dds cas high tier bbs, everything. So i do kinda like having an alternative to my gneise for a fun tier. I only am suspicious about nelson speed, 24 kts is mighty slow. I love gneise for her speed and durability. And torps. And fun factor. If nelson has fun factor built in, i am willing to give it a shot. Btw i dont need credits, thats not the reason i play wows. I wanna have fun.

Thx for the info, i do appreciate it.

Players
401 posts
2,991 battles
1 hour ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Tier 7 is my stress release, my exhaust valve :). Every time high tier play earns me a nervous brakedown i take my gneise out and just shred everything in my path.... Dds cas high tier bbs, everything. So i do kinda like having an alternative to my gneise for a fun tier. I only am suspicious about nelson speed, 24 kts is mighty slow. I love gneise for her speed and durability. And torps. And fun factor. If nelson has fun factor built in, i am willing to give it a shot. Btw i dont need credits, thats not the reason i play wows. I wanna have fun.

Thx for the info, i do appreciate it.

The LOL-heal can be fun, in a way. But the ship has a much more stationary play style, due to the raised citadel (the belt armour is kinda thick though, so can shatter some shells at range) and slow speed. You angle ever so slightly to use all 9 guns and deliver massive AP strikes to just about anyone. The shell dispersion seems to be rather good in my experience, similar to my Warspite IIRC. But the AA is only average ( and mid-ranged) so a determined CV will sink you, and you can't run to avoid it. I guess if you like to roam around the map, Nelson isn't for you. But as a change of pace, using accurate guns rather than brawling aggressively, it may be rateher enjoyable. I like mine, much better than KGV, though I still enjoy Warspite more.

• Cool 2

[ORCS]
Players
140 posts
11,509 battles

Thx Centurion. Valuable info. I know Nelson is not Gneise but 9x406 mm at tier 7 makes me realy wanna try it. Gneise is forgiving ship, tough, dangerous when ppl underestimate it. Nelson could be too just judging by the size of her main armament. Altho preplaning is a must, checking out the map before game starts and making decision where to go, once commited no turning back... Tougher gaming than gneise, more complex but i like a good challenge.

• Cool 1

Players
58 posts
2,255 battles

You said you like the gneise because it's not a slow ship and are wary about the Nelson being too slow at 24 knots. If you don't like slow BB's in general, not sure I would get it if being you. I had the Warsprite and while it wasn't a bad ship, the slow speed didn't suit me and sold it 2 weeks later. Ended up getting the Hood which is far faster and enjoy playing that premium because of it. So I'd think seriously if doing 24 knots in the Nelson might be an issue for you in the longrun playing it. I don't like slow BB's, anything under 28 knots, but do like the look of the Nelson's guns for a British BB at its tier 7 level. But... that the slow speed it does though, hmm. Pity it doesn't do 28 knots, even 26 knots at a push. But 24 knots is snail pace.

Players
401 posts
2,991 battles
1 hour ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Thx Centurion. Valuable info. I know Nelson is not Gneise but 9x406 mm at tier 7 makes me realy wanna try it. Gneise is forgiving ship, tough, dangerous when ppl underestimate it. Nelson could be too just judging by the size of her main armament. Altho preplaning is a must, checking out the map before game starts and making decision where to go, once commited no turning back... Tougher gaming than gneise, more complex but i like a good challenge.

Also, when people see a RN BB, they tend to assume they will fire HE at them and show too much broadside (I did this when the ships first came out, big mistake...). Surprise them with AP and do like 10k per volley. You probably won't citadel much, but the penetration damage adds up. As an added bonus, 406mm (16 inch) guns can overmatch 25mm plating, so you can wreck any same tier BB if they decide to bow-tank you.

[POI--]
Players
3,411 posts
4,583 battles
1 hour ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Also, when people see a RN BB, they tend to assume they will fire HE at them and show too much broadside (I did this when the ships first came out, big mistake...). Surprise them with AP and do like 10k per volley. You probably won't citadel much, but the penetration damage adds up. As an added bonus, 406mm (16 inch) guns can overmatch 25mm plating, so you can wreck any same tier BB if they decide to bow-tank you.

And half the same tier BBs wreck you if you try to bowtank them.

Nelson is a good ship, but what can be more frustrating than the speed, which, imo, is adequate, is the lacking tankiness and the guns are large, but for the caliber have horrid pen. 

• Cool 1

Players
401 posts
2,991 battles
14 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

And half the same tier BBs wreck you if you try to bowtank them.

Nelson is a good ship, but what can be more frustrating than the speed, which, imo, is adequate, is the lacking tankiness and the guns are large, but for the caliber have horrid pen. 

Oh yeah, forgot about the Nagato, Colorado etc. If I remember correctly, the Nelson's guns have better pen than KGV's 14 inchers (but then you would expect that), and her guns are about equal with Warspite's 15 inchers (weaker after about 11km, where it matters). Let's not even bother comparing to Colorado or Nagato, whose guns are superior in just about every regard. They have lower fire chance though, if that is your thing.

[POI--]
Players
3,411 posts
4,583 battles
15 minutes ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Oh yeah, forgot about the Nagato, Colorado etc. If I remember correctly, the Nelson's guns have better pen than KGV's 14 inchers (but then you would expect that), and her guns are about equal with Warspite's 15 inchers (weaker after about 11km, where it matters). Let's not even bother comparing to Colorado or Nagato, whose guns are superior in just about every regard. They have lower fire chance though, if that is your thing.

Yeah, but noone loads HE in Nagato or Colorado. Also, Gneisenau beats Nelson in pen and all these overmatching guns can bow citadel you if you don't watch it.

• Cool 1

[ORCS]
Players
140 posts
11,509 battles

Well Gneisenau is probably the best ship in game for me. I was just wondering if Nelson is fun enough that is worth 375 k fxp. I guess it is. If everything else fails use he :).

i will give it a go.

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
38 posts
3,597 battles

Nelson has it´s own playstyle because of weak but workable when angled citadel, 9 front 16inch guns with extrastrong HE and slow speed.

Positioning is key because you move slowly and stopping and accelerating is a pain because of only 46000 horse power engine tactical maneuvering is difficult. The guns are actually pretty good, accurate, and well placed at the front so they are easy to bring to target.

AP can deal massive damage to broadsides and everything else than a proper BB at long range. Citadeling BBs is difficult apparently because pen isn´t great and fuze time is very short. This fact makes citadeling cruisers easy though :D. HE is great against all targets in any angle and fire starting is easy.

Heal is very strong if you can find good times to use it.. sometimes you just can´t retreat from a bad position because of utterly lacking speed and slow acceleration thus getting overwhelmed. If you can use your heal properly then Nelson becomes very tanky for a tier7 BB. AA is good only close-range and won´t save you from CVs but you are able shoot some aircraft down in self-defense.

If a DD ambushes you it is pretty hard to avoid torps and the torp belt won´t save you. Also heal doesn´t work very well against torp damage so avoiding that is key to survivability. Secondaries are there but pretty meh.. as in any ship.

Overall ship is strong for its tier. Slow and bad acceleration and deceleration makes it feel even slower. Firepower is great due to HE option for difficult targets and for blapping DDs. Heal makes you able to tank if you can time it right. However Nelson gameplay is not mobile in any way. Go close to middle map in a hopefully good position where you can shoot enemies while remaining angled without getting surprised by dd or cv and you can do most use for your team. You can´t go anywhere fast or retreat from anybody.

BTW I like the Nelson playstyle in a way that it brings gameplay variety in a way that makes me need to think a lot about positioning in a very slow ship. Kinda same gameplay as in a Colorado. I hated the Gneisenau, those 6 guns just never seemed to hit or penetrate anything so that I could see big dmg numbers. In Nelson your guns won´t fail you but the platform might. Just the opponent of Gneisenau in that perspective ;)

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,733 battles

Yes, much fun. With the right captain skills you can heal, and heal, er print new ship. Its HE salvos can be a real pain for your opponent if they are bow in, good damage, let them put the fire out, and oh dear you are on fire again. Make sure you are not leading charges though. And a salvo of AP can wreck cruisers and some BBs.

Players
73 posts
6,093 battles

Dont waste free exp on her, too difficult and situational ship. Duke of Yorck is better. I have Nelson too ofcourse so i write this from experience.

I watched some videos on youtube and tought i need this ship, i will have now a good credit and captaintrainer ship, but the reality is other.

This ship is squishier as the KII,even tier 5 BB's can citadell you without effort and tier 8+ instakill you even from front!!!

Armor is to soft, more softer as the King George V, you have hard time agaist tier 6 cruisers to in Nelson , HE ammo pierce Nolson skin even without IFHE skill and make incredible big damage to youre ship.

Ifhe spamer ships kill this ship very fast  and the superheal not always save you, because the armor not hold against anything and this is not joke!

I play other clases to : cruisers, destroyers; in Battleships im more agresive and with Nelson you cant play agresive as any other BB,Nelson is to soft, maybe thats why im so bad with her.

Sumary: this Bbaby is not for beginers.

[DREAD]
Players
4,699 posts
4,878 battles
17 minutes ago, Martaloc801124 said:

Dont waste free exp on her, too difficult and situational ship. Duke of Yorck is better. I have Nelson too ofcourse so i write this from experience.

I watched some videos on youtube and tought i need this ship, i will have now a good credit and captaintrainer ship, but the reality is other.

This ship is squishier as the KII,even tier 5 BB's can citadell you without effort and tier 8+ instakill you even from front!!!

Armor is to soft, more softer as the King George V, you have hard time agaist tier 6 cruisers to in Nelson , HE ammo pierce Nolson skin even without IFHE skill and make incredible big damage to youre ship.

Ifhe spamer ships kill this ship very fast  and the superheal not always save you, because the armor not hold against anything and this is not joke!

I play other clases to : cruisers, destroyers; in Battleships im more agresive and with Nelson you cant play agresive as any other BB,Nelson is to soft, maybe thats why im so bad with her.

Sumary: this Bbaby is not for beginers.

Duck of Yuck better than Nelson..? You might be alone with this statement bro

Nelson is actual MUCH better 

• Cool 4

[AS13]
Players
1,477 posts
1,724 battles
9 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Duck of Yuck better than Nelson..? You might be alone with this statement bro

Nelson is actual MUCH better 

I don't know if Nelson is better, but Duke Of York is worse than KGV... and that was a bbaaaaaaaddddd one.

:cap_wander_2:                           :cap_fainting:

565895839_KGVsuperbad.thumb.JPG.ef1338c618da8d2ed7496bac517bdea0.JPG

[POI--]
Players
3,411 posts
4,583 battles
On 11/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, TohtoriP said:

If a DD ambushes you it is pretty hard to avoid torps and the torp belt won´t save you. Also heal doesn´t work very well against torp damage so avoiding that is key to survivability. Secondaries are there but pretty meh.. as in any ship.

Gneisenau secondaries are no joke. A 12 gun broadside of fast-firing 12.8 cm guns at T7 is phenomenal. Kurfürst only gets 10 of these on a broadside (+4 slower-firing 15 cm guns) at T10 and Gneisenau does not need IFHE to make them pen other BBs. Tier for tier, the best secondaries in the game. Range is 8 km, which is quite workable, especially on a torp-armed BB. With proper secondary spec, these things shred DDs and cruisers trying to rush you. Believe me, I got my 14th skill point and Manual Fire Control for Secondaries when the British DDs came out and boy, there were a lot of those 6-7 km torp boats trying to rush my ship with its 8 km secondaries. 

9 hours ago, Martaloc801124 said:

Against ships with less than 38 cm guns, show front. Against ships with more, try to bait on angled belt. If you mess up, yes, this ship dies fast. You don't even need BBs to citpen it from the side. I once double citadelled it with a HSF Graf Spee. But properly angled, Nelson can get millions of potential damage and laughs as it farms dreadnought and fireproof with its unnerfed Conqueror heal.

Though if you run into a Musashi, you're just dead.

[BONI]
Players
1,034 posts
8,904 battles

Yeah but the optimal playstyle for it is like a tank destroyer. Positioning is everything and you can't allow yourself to get flanked. And because of the low speed, what that means is you keep your distance. The superheal works best when you're eating HE damage and discourages fighting BBs where they can reliably pen you, or eating torps. So everything considered, to me, it's geared for a static rear-line playstyle.

[BONI]
Players
1,034 posts
8,904 battles
12 hours ago, Martaloc801124 said:

It's no different from other BBs in this regard. The real threat is BB shells to the huge citadel, which is not very well armored in the front and gets citted at all kinds of weird angles (barbettes?), especially in close combat. So it suffers even more than other t7 BBs (except iirc DoY and KGV) which all overmatch each other's armor, making them pretty soft by BB standards.

[ORCS]
Players
140 posts
11,509 battles

Well i got it today. Just for something different. 3 games all lost. Heal is realy funny, red team thinks they have u, just one more hit and.... Wtf?? Nelson is at 3/4 hp again?? Lol, had a good laugh. Actualy had 1 on 1 with DoY and won. Dds suffer huge dmg with only 1 accurate salvo, almost oneshoted jervis. Fun ship it is. I do have problem adjusting to slow speed and having no plane. No way to spot on ur own so its very team dependant. I go full speed all the time and angle left-right as i fight. Turning is not so bad when u get to 24 kts, u can dodge stuff if u r alert. I will see how it goes from here, 3 fights is too small a sample to make a judgement.

[POI--]
Players
3,411 posts
4,583 battles
11 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

It's no different from other BBs in this regard.

Ever heard of Scharnhorst and Gneisenau? BBs at T7 with actual armour? Like, apart from upper bow (not a huge area) and stern, even in a T9 match they'd be among the best protected? 50 mm deck armour to make IFHE spam trivial (Honestly, unless bow-on or max range, I'd often rather shoot AP at them)?

Or how about Hood, which if you angle is just a giant floating brick? As soon as the superstructure is depleted of hp, good luck trying to kill this thing with its 51 mm deck.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,411 posts
4,583 battles
32 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Not going to argue that Nelson isn't strong, but I'd take stats with a grain of salt. By this data, Nagato is kind of in the dumps, though it's hard to argue that it is a weak ship or that it needs buffs.

[ORCS]
Players
140 posts
11,509 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Ever heard of Scharnhorst and Gneisenau? BBs at T7 with actual armour? Like, apart from upper bow (not a huge area) and stern, even in a T9 match they'd be among the best protected? 50 mm deck armour to make IFHE spam trivial (Honestly, unless bow-on or max range, I'd often rather shoot AP at them)?

Or how about Hood, which if you angle is just a giant floating brick? As soon as the superstructure is depleted of hp, good luck trying to kill this thing with its 51 mm deck

U realy cant compare gneisenau with anything else. I even love it more than bismarck or fdg. I just respec her to full sec switched accuracy module for sec module and i just take her in the middle of enemy formation. I only make sure there is no jap ca there cause u usualy cant kill them before they drop torps on u. Last game today i took her against kongo farragut texas and some baguette ca all alone. All my buddies turned their tails and ran and left flank wide open. I damaged farragut badly, he had to dissengage, sunk kongo and texas, damaged baguette and at the end took on red gneise and warspite with 20k hp left. Nearly sunk gneise with torps, tried to ram warspite but the old girl couldnt take it no more. 150k dmg with 2 kills and died at enemy spawn while colapsing enemy flank by herself is a testimony of a raw power gneise has if u have the guts to take her close in. So i cant expect any other ship to have that kind of durability or ability to take on several enemy ships at once and win. On tier 7 thats reserved for gneise.

Nelson is actualy opposite, slow, good guns, accurate but cant dictate the fight. Cant show side, but if a salvo lands well it hurts alot. Staying angled and using third turret when enemy is reloading work well for me. I let the fires burn out, dont use dcp since u will recover it easy and fully. But i think i cant impact games like with gneisenau. Cant carry in that manner. Altho i find it both annoying and refreshing and fun. 

Edited by CPL_Sivi
Typo

Sign in to follow this