You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SNAPHAAN

FdG, the most frustrating ship out there

48 comments in this topic

[BNI]
Players
2 posts
2,463 battles

I Saw some other post related to this, so i made my own complaint and want to see if someone agrees with me.

Wargaming should really look how to make the german T9BB friedrich Der Grosse a bit more balanced. The ship is totally outgunned by every same tier ship. RNG almost starts to be a religion with this thing.

I almost deleted the game after trying to grind my way through the FdG. ITS SO FRUSTRATINGGGG... The previous tiers also had unreliable guns but in that tiers brawling is still a good possibility. From Tier 9 and especially T10 the range game is real. Comming close means HE showers and Torps. It then becomes the Feuer Der Grosse.

Even with Sonar, you cant really respond in time to make a big difference in evading them. 

so there not really a option then to take them at range first and wait for a opening for closing in. maybe in 1/10 battles you have a good brawl and do some damage, but for the other nine... cr*p

There is just no way with dealing with cruisers at any range so they are freely to burn down your useless armored tank to scrap sh*t

I hope the next one , the grosser Kurfurst will be more viable for the battle and better at range, because the friedrich is just a huge, RnG-based, gasoline soaked, chunck of armored sh*t. (it is tanky alright} 

Wargaming please look at this. either something with the secondary range or a little less derpy guns or less firechance or better reload, because that maxed out 24.5 sec reload on 402mm guns wont make up for that 1 overpen on a 8km broadside cruiser. you must pray to RNG for that cit or at lease a pen and some damage.

Players
1,397 posts
14,394 battles

Learn when to engage and disengage. Heal up between pushes, rinse, repeat. The guns are trolly, but they work well. I found they were better against BBs than cruisers. Broadside cruisers catch a lot of overpens, let them angle a little.

Judging from your hitrate you are too far away. German BBs are no snipers, get closer and you will hit stuff.

Oh, and why couldn't you just add to the thread you are referring to?

[AS13]
Players
1,477 posts
1,724 battles

You complaining? I bet you haven't tried the King George V yet. ANY BB same tier can overmatch its bow,

but you cannot overmatch any of t your tier and cannot even overmatch some lower tiers... 

Means they shoot at you and get cits, and you shoot at them you get shatters.

And then you find out that after you have passed the grind, they give you Monarch - which is the same ship,

with bigger guns (losing the insane HE-fire though) and slightly more armour, at Tier 8... 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,058 posts
10,545 battles

Learn to adapt. Apart from that, WG is working on her.

I expect changes this year.

NA Meeting:

DrrjuROXgAEPCiV.jpg

[DC-DK]
Players
1,959 posts
22,873 battles

What can I say.... Big fat and clumsy and the only ship I ever rage sold

[POI--]
Players
3,406 posts
4,569 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

You complaining? I bet you haven't tried the King George V yet. ANY BB same tier can overmatch its bow,

Applies to all T7- BBs.

but you cannot overmatch any of t your tier and cannot even overmatch some lower tiers... 

but it gets thermonuclear HE and an insane dpm value. And no same tier BB has enough armour to not get HE penned by KGV.

Citadel is underwater. You basically can only citpen this ship through its bow. Maybe present more angled side. Compared to ships like Nagato or Colorado, KGV isn't really easier to citpen.

And then you find out that after you have passed the grind, they give you Monarch - which is the same ship,

with bigger guns (losing the insane HE-fire though) and slightly more armour, at Tier 8... 

Slightly more armour = enough armour to only get overmatched by Yamato/Musashi. Not saying Monarch is great, but Monarch basically loses the frontal weakness of the KGV which you complained about and the HE potential you seem to ignore in KGV.

Honestly, I highly doubt KGV is "suffering".

[DC-DK]
Players
1,959 posts
22,873 battles

Have 273 battles in KGV one of my favourites and the last real RN BB, until Vanguard is released

Players
17 posts
1,738 battles

Had 13m saved up.. Was going to get a FdG.. But I might just grind the lion up to conq instead and use the creds I get in the process to pay for that... FdG really doesn't look fun even when I see experienced players use it.  And Kurwurst looks like a good ship but mainly if you have a team that can  get behind you when you are pushing which seems like a slight gamble.. Conq seems pretty good in all situations.. Never had a tier X ship yet but am getting pretty close

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles

Was so much crap i skipped it with FreeXP. Otherwise i would have gone to the mental asylum i think :cap_yes:

GK is better yes, but also not good as a sniper.

• Cool 1

Players
1,721 posts
9,697 battles

Contrary to what I've been reading, my FdG grind has been pretty ok. Only skipped the last 20k~30k xp grind cause i wanted an extra sc from the anniversary.

Even with a secondary built (no accuracy mod) the main guns are accurate enough for me. I think to play the FdG effectively people have to relly know when to push and when to pull back, along with making use of cover etc, basically the basics.

More often then not I see people in FdGs or Purrfurst either close to the map border and as far away from the fight as possible cause their detection is bad and they dont want to be shot at or theh recklessly throw themselves at the enemy. More of the former than the latter though.

As long as you can read the minimap and know what you're doing FdG is pretty ok. Played 72 games in it with this stats at the end:

Screenshot_20181116-090557_Ghostery.thumb.jpg.389a99b6a7375264b05ff2637a35ce0d.jpg

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,413 battles

I don't regret one second skipping the Izumo entirely in the IJN BB line. Even after they buffed it recently.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
811 posts
12,750 battles
6 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

KG V is a real fun ship, nothing compared to FoobarDeGrosse

[SOCKS]
Players
771 posts
5,479 battles

My personal experience with FdG wasn't bad at all.

It has a lot of Gneisenau's traits - specifically the wonky guns. But the rest of the ship more or less covers for that. It's truly resilient vs HE spam (which is a huge boon this days of HE spam infesting the meta), it's fast enough, it's got good protection, very hard to citadel and has brutal secondaries.

Contrary to what most people say (secondaries being useless in high tier gameplay) I think a semi-full secondary approach works for FdG. almost 12km range of a death bubble for destroyers can't be discounted with ease. I took the secondary range module, CE, Manual Secondaries and AFT. That meant giving up fire prevention but I figured out that the less fire resilience would be compensated by a big part of FdG's deck being untouchable for most HE spam. As for the guns, they're wonky with or without the accuracy mod so why bother.

In return I had a superb reliable tool to use against any spotted DDs or Cruisers under 11.5km. And make no mistake - it MADE a difference. Sure, you won't be able to trust the secondaries to do the job for you against battleships and the 27mm plating cruisers, but against those the fires always came in handy too. But the combo of 11.5km secondaries and hydro allowed me a lot more freedom and peace of mind in the (let's face it, many) cases where I was forced to play without DD spotting, and when I decided it was time to come in and shorten the range. Plus, against cruisers the damage also helped.

Now I'm not going to go out of a limb and say FdG is a good T9 BB. It's not. It's seriously handicapped by the lack of performance from the main battery. But it's not as bad as people say, and at least I'm glad I didnd't free-xp it all the way (in the end I shaved maybe 40k xp of the grind because I really, really, really, wanted the GK ;)) because the experience wasn't bad at all.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
153 posts

Hate to break it to you but GK is still not a good ship at range. Of course 50% more guns does help.

I'd happily take a straight swap for an Alabamas guns

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,950 posts
13,449 battles

On a more serious note, I found FdG to be a pretty decent ship. Certainly not the best ship I've ever played, but far from the worst either. Used a secondary build on her without Concealment Expert and just played her like an oversized Bismarck.

Then again it has been quite some time since I played her. The game has changed a lot since then.

[BGBRD]
Players
208 posts
8,675 battles
1 hour ago, gopher31 said:

Hate to break it to you but GK is still not a good ship at range. Of course 50% more guns does help.

I'd happily take a straight swap for an Alabamas guns

Hate to break it to you, but GK or FDG ware never ment to be good at range... I wonder when will you learn that... comparing it to Alabama/North Carolina or other ships is like comparing apples to oranges.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,921 posts
8,281 battles

Hi all,

9 hours ago, SNAPHAAN said:

I Saw some other post related to this, so i made my own complaint and want to see if someone agrees with me.

Wargaming should really look how to make the german T9BB friedrich Der Grosse a bit more balanced. The ship is totally outgunned by every same tier ship. RNG almost starts to be a religion with this thing.

I almost deleted the game after trying to grind my way through the FdG. ITS SO FRUSTRATINGGGG... The previous tiers also had unreliable guns but in that tiers brawling is still a good possibility. From Tier 9 and especially T10 the range game is real. Comming close means HE showers and Torps. It then becomes the Feuer Der Grosse.

Even with Sonar, you cant really respond in time to make a big difference in evading them. 

so there not really a option then to take them at range first and wait for a opening for closing in. maybe in 1/10 battles you have a good brawl and do some damage, but for the other nine... cr*p

There is just no way with dealing with cruisers at any range so they are freely to burn down your useless armored tank to scrap sh*t

I hope the next one , the grosser Kurfurst will be more viable for the battle and better at range, because the friedrich is just a huge, RnG-based, gasoline soaked, chunck of armored sh*t. (it is tanky alright} 

Wargaming please look at this. either something with the secondary range or a little less derpy guns or less firechance or better reload, because that maxed out 24.5 sec reload on 402mm guns wont make up for that 1 overpen on a 8km broadside cruiser. you must pray to RNG for that cit or at lease a pen and some damage.

I really don't know why but I am having GREAT time in my "Friedrich der Große"... I heard all those "horror stories" about it but I am not seeing anything like it... strange... :Smile_hiding:

Similarly I also had absolutely GREAT time in my "Izumo"... really strange... :Smile_great:

Here is my last "stock" game in my "Friedrich der Große from last night from thread "What Were Your Greatest Gaming Achievements Today ?":

10 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Somehow, during my grind, I started to find myself liking this ship more than I expected... :Smile_hiding:

lgCGMfT.jpg

mYLExqd.jpg

1jvLdeZ.jpg

ffU0EiB.jpg

WdjTV4y.jpg

Leo "Apollo11"

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

[SOCKS]
Players
771 posts
5,479 battles
30 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

I really don't know why but I am having GREAT time in my "Friedrich der Große"... I heard all those "horror stories" about it but I am not seeing anything like it... strange... :Smile_hiding:

Similarly I also had absolutely GREAT time in my "Izumo"... really strange... :Smile_great:

Izumo is hardly surprising, all the horror stories you hear about it come from way back (and seems that they were more than justified), but the ship's buffs seems to have helped it a lot. I also had a good time with it but I've played it after the buffs so I don't know up to which point the horrible reputation that ship had was justified.

FDG you can have a great time on, as I aready said, mine worked well enough; but objectively, is the worst T9 BB. Just not the awful piece of crap people seem fond of making it to be, but still is a ship that needs help. We'll see which kind of buffs it receives.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,921 posts
8,281 battles

Hi all,

2 minutes ago, RAMJB said:

Izumo is hardly surprising, all the horror stories you hear about it come from way back (and seems that they were more than justified), but the ship's buffs seems to have helped it a lot. I also had a good time with it but I've played it after the buffs so I don't know up to which point the horrible reputation that ship had was justified.

I grinded my "Izumo" long before buffs... it was with that "broken" config that all disliked... :Smile_hiding:

rh5ZzUB.jpg

BTW, it seems that I will finish the grind for my "Friedrich der Große" before the new buffs come into the effect... same story as with my "Izumo"... :Smile_facepalm:

Leo "Apollo11"

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
110 posts
7,577 battles

Played Izumo pre-buff, then Freddy, then Iowa, finally Alsace, so far refused to touch RN BBs.

Out of 4, Freddy felt to me like the proper T9 ship, having more HP by far than any of T8s or T9s. 

I used secondary specced captain, choosed my engagements when I could.

Izumo was the only one I did not play with 19 point captain, and at the time it felt weakest. Now considering to rebuy it.

Iowa... when I finally got her, already had over 100 Missouri games, which did not stop Iowa to actually become more dear to me, yes I really like that spotter plane.

Alsace - I just don't get along well with 380mm guns, enjoyed Lyon and Normandie, disliked Richie and Alsace.

Just like all German BBs, Freddy is xp pinata for cruisers and RN BBs, huge superstructure. Reduce fire duration as much as possible, try to time your push and then attack. 

Weekend Tester
831 posts
4,434 battles

Until somebody points out a proper reason for why the FDG is bad, i will not change my mind that the ship does not needs buffs.

Every single one of these that I've seen so far has been either a bad player(No, not talking about the OP) or someone talking s:etc_swear: because the dispersion is terrible.

Someone please enlighten me with your infinite wisdom why FDG is a bad ship and what could WG do to buff it.

Yeah i'm a tad bit salty, so what...

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
255 posts

she is bad exactly because her accuracy is far inferior to most other BBs (like the most of the german BBs) especially if you consider the long range meta we have, let me compare her to the Iowa for example angle iowa and she will be immune to most damage Fritz will still take lots of damage even when angled (yeah immunity to cits has its drawback), then the guns iowa can shoot decisive and punishing volleys which rewards player skill while the fritz needs luck to hit and cant perofrom on a similar level

thats why when i play a decent CA i treat her and that t10 abomination as swimming free Xp, if they are not reallly lucky i can farm them and get away with doing lots mistake , showing accidently broadside no problem 80% chance of survival (againstz all other BBs thats close to 20%), beign caught offguard all other BBs will murder you Fritz in a show of fairplay will just fire a warning salvo to wake you up and in a BB its even worse they are primary farming targtes and first on the list of targets to be ignored in favor of a more important one (only time they actually are dangerous is when the team drives into their sec range one by one),

and its not just the Iowa i can compare her to Alsace too, were the Alsace will simply outgerman the German BBs as she has similar armor, similar dispersion with more guns (actually a bit better because she spreads more horizontaly then in the range) and similar secs too (mainly due to pure volume of fire) with the only price beign a bit more annoyance from HE spam

and thats also the main reasons why i stoped playing my german BBs (aside from that ungerman abomination on T10) the other are better at the same stuff, reward player skill a lot better and are also better at punishing the enemys mistakes

• Boring 1

[DSW]
Players
3,708 posts
7,537 battles
37 minutes ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

Until somebody points out a proper reason for why the FDG is bad, i will not change my mind that the ship does not needs buffs.

Every single one of these that I've seen so far has been either a bad player(No, not talking about the OP) or someone talking s:etc_swear: because the dispersion is terrible.

Someone please enlighten me with your infinite wisdom why FDG is a bad ship and what could WG do to buff it.

Yeah i'm a tad bit salty, so what...

I wouldn't straight up call it bad, but... right back at you, what makes it good, in your opinion?

Main gun firepower is meh at best for the tier, might actually be worst-in-class (kinda close with Lion, but that gets its HE)

Secondaries are a neat gimmick but not actually terribly useful

She's tanky, sure, but these days when friggin' nobody has a citadel anymore the difference isnt actually all that big - and that's what "breaks" the german line more than anything else in my opinion. Better against HE than Alsace/Iowa tho, I'll give it that (and worse than Izumo due to massive superstructure...).

AA is okay

Mobility is okay, not the fastest but kinda quick rudder if I recall?

Hydro's neat to have, but not necessary if you're running brain.exe and WASD.hax.pack.exe

So yeah, I kinda struggle to find any selling points that would elevate it above meh...

• Cool 1