Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
quickr

"Simplifying" the game - consumables

11 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
Players
222 posts
9,957 battles

Considering WG's trend lately is to (over)simplify the game (CE cpt skill, radar range, torpedo notification, etc....) for easier use (and console release i suppose)

Can we finally get better controls for consumables? Why is speed boost "Y" on one ship but "U" on another and "I" on a third one? (or whatever you rebind it to be)

Why can't we setup key binds for specific consumable rather than consumable 1, consumable 2, etc....

Why do I have to check my consumables key binds every time I start the game and fear I'll press wrong one in heat of the battle? 

It doesn't happen that often but it's so annoying when it happens and it's a simple change that could improve game play

121211212121.jpg

• Cool 6

[HOME]
Players
45 posts
9,600 battles

There are a lot more consumables i don't even think you can keep up assigning all consumables on the first row of your keyboard. Guessing that is one of the reasons

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,048 posts
13,766 battles

How about we do the wheel thing for consumables then? Just use the 'T' key or something for everything but the repair party and just pan over to it.

[OGHF]
Players
543 posts
10,369 battles
1 minute ago, dasCKD said:

How about we do the wheel thing for consumables then? Just use the 'T' key or something for everything but the repair party and just pan over to it.

I would say no to that as the time to press 1 key and get your smoke up or repair would be far quicker than bringing a carousel up and they getting your curser over the relevant area and then clicking again as the carousel  takes 3 actions and also your attention away from the action for longer.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,115 posts
9,269 battles

Customizable loadouts has been asked for since long ago already. Each time WG said they'll forward it to the devs, nothing ever changed except ships getting more and more consumables to use.

So realistically, it's not going to happen.

[ADRIA]
Players
222 posts
9,957 battles
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

Customizable loadouts has been asked for since long ago already

I'm aware of it and it's a simple change so I'm baffled that it hasn't been implemented yet....

I mean all you have to do is change settings a bit... 

press a key to bind it for a consumable heal (instead of consumable 1)

press a key to bind it for a consumable speed boost (instead of consumable 2)

etc

etc

Players
421 posts
4,209 battles

@Soemba that's right, the amount of different consumables makes the OP's idea impractical and probably not more comfortable than the current situation. I also agree about the "wheel" suggestion - would not be very usable in the heat of the battle.

It is however also true, that muscle memory is important and the consumables mess can be very frustrating, so a solution should be looked for.

One thing that could perhaps work, would be if you could move the consumables that you've selected to different slots in the while in port. Or just manually select for each slot, which consumable to put there (with the consumables that currently occupy the same slot grouped, such that you can only select one from a certain group). That would most likely get rid of >90 % of situations where you accidentally activate the wrong consumable.

Edited by mrk421
  • Cool 2

[1DSF]
[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,303 posts
3,858 battles

You should be able to move the consumabes in the slot you want, so you can sort it.

• Cool 3

[ADRIA]
Players
222 posts
9,957 battles
8 minutes ago, Arakus said:

You should be able to move the consumabes in the slot you want, so you can sort it.

That's even more simpler idea. I like it 

[ADRIA]
Players
3,767 posts
6,483 battles

Yeah, as mentioned - 10 consumables (well, 11 but you never get fighter + spotter, you always have to choose one or the other) so you'd need 10 different keys if each is key-bound. Imagine your ship having dmg-con (on R) and Hydro - but the Hydro is on something like P key. Highly inconvenient

Best would be to just let us select the consumables order for each ship, similarly how you can do that in WoT - put FireExt on whichever slot you want, same for Repair Box, Medkit, whatever else you can pick there.

But apparently there still is some working UI that WG needs to break so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an improvement to happen :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
138 posts
6,237 battles

I have no idea why binding keys is so hard for consumables, I cant really think of a game that doesn't do it in the last 10 years. It seems a pretty simple thing to do compared to other things and would be a nice 'quality of life' change or at least make it so that speed boost is always is on the same button ect ect 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this