Jabba_The_Mutt

Camo bought for doubloons

14 comments in this topic

Question

Players
5 posts
72 battles

Hi, I purchased a camo for the V-25 for 125 doubloons under the impression that this was a permanent camo. After playing one battle with it, it's removed and says "not purchased", even though I clearly bought it, as evident in the screenshot. Is this a bug, or does this camo really cost 125 doubloons for each battle? 

shot-18.11.15_11.56.55-0483.jpg

13 answers to this question

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,244 posts
5,950 battles

Permanent camos will always have the "this camouflage is permanent and will be resupplied for free" (or something similar) written when selected, which means that yes, the camo you purchased is a consumable. Most ships below tier 5 don't have permanent camos, so keep that in mind.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,861 posts
5,303 battles
On 11/15/2018 at 6:06 AM, Jabba_The_Mutt said:

Okay then, this is a weird system compared to tanks. But okay, I'll get the hang of it eventually

Unlike WOT, you can't generally buy permanent camo for lower tier ships; the option to buy permanent camo appears at T6.

There are occasionally lower tier permanent camos available for a few ships, but they're usually things you win or earn (e.g. I recently got the T3 US cruiser Halloween camo from a crate).

I'm not as vehemently anti permanent camo as @Ferry_25 is, but he does make a valid point: perma camo is expensive (thousands of doubloons, varying with tier), so think carefully before applying it to a ship. Generally, only apply it to solid keepers, and bear in mind that quite a lot can be won/earned for free, and that (unlike premium ships, which come with it anyway) WG have no compunction about nerfing/changing silver ships...

Early on in your WOWS career, I would suggest using the one-off consumable camos only, even when you get to T6; they're fairly easy to get plenty more of, and if you run out, I would use the ones that cost silver as that's easy to replenish (as opposed to doubloons, which you pay for with real money, mainly). BTW when you equip a new ship with a camo you can buy in game, make sure the 'replenish with in-game currency' box is un-ticked, if it costs doubloons to replenish!

[PUPSI]
Players
6,147 posts
Vor 2 Minuten, Jabba_The_Mutt sagte:

or does this camo really cost 125 doubloons for each battle?

this

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,296 posts
11,167 battles

Not all ships have permanent camos, especially lowtiers usually don't. And if they do, they are more expensive ^^

[NED]
Players
4,077 posts
11,145 battles

There will be perma cammo's available for doubloons in later tiers OP. I'mAFC (away from client) so I can't check to make sure. IIRC perma cammo's are there from T6 and higher. Having said that: I'd highly advice against buying them. I have double burned myself by doing so. first: lots of cammo's can be won for free who do exactly the same thing and second ships can (and will) always be nerfed to oblivion. F.e. WG is intending to nerf Yue Yang to uselessness. I bought perma cammo for it because I love the ship. So I will never do that again. It's a waste of RL money. Doubloons have been "nerfed" to pretty uselesness anyway. Yeah Somewhat in handy to instant retrain captains, captain repecs and de mounting without selling ship upgrades. But that's about it. Regarding the matter at hand: the perma cammo's and the things around it (winning them for free and the nerfing) has made me actually feel one of the most double crossed purchases I ever made.

tl;dr: don't spend doubloons on perma cammo's is my strong advice.

[NED]
Players
4,077 posts
11,145 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I'm not as vehemently anti permanent camo as @Ferry_25

OK I might have stated things a bit strong. It's just that I felt burned. I paid RL money (indirectly through doubloons, but still) only to find cammo's which can do the same can be either won or ships have been nerfed after my purchase. The latter isn't even my worst objection. Because I already knew that might happen before making the purchase. It's giving me a double feeling. Part of it feeling burned like I stated but also partly I don't want to sound like a whiner. Because I can win those free cammo's the same way everybody can. Retrospectively I conclude I chose too strong words. I should nuance it: consider very well before purchasing a perma cammo. The ship might get nerfed and chances are cammo's who do the same thing could be winnable for free.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,861 posts
5,303 battles
16 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

OK I might have stated things a bit strong.

Given what is being done to YY, if the proposed changes go through, I feel some strong words are entirely suitable...!

I personally think WG could avoid a lot of ill-temper if they provided the option to switch perma-camo between silver ships (with some sort of delay and/or cost and/or conditions to prevent people buying just one and hopping it between all their ships).

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,861 posts
5,303 battles

BTW @Jabba_The_Mutt - if you happen to have any Sovereigns left from the RN event, and didn't spend them on something else already, I think you may be able to exchange them for temporary camo in the Arsenal.

This assumes you don't have enough Sovereigns for something good like a premium ship, of course.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,861 posts
5,303 battles
On 11/17/2018 at 12:52 PM, Ruth_clifton said:

you  pay 2.000  doubloons  FOR   CAMO  THAT  IS  NO   DIFFERENT  THAN  THE  YOU  WIN

Correct, if you're talking about winning a perma-cammo (more than 2K doubloons at higher tier too). Won perma-cammo *usually* (but not always) has the same bonuses as the bought equivalent; some exceptions include the anniversary perma-cammos that do have different bonuses to their doubloon equivalents.

Not correct if you're comparing consumable cammo with bought perma-cammo, for the simple reason that the latter costs nothing to replenish after the initial outlay, whereas the consumables can only be used once per 'shot'.

I haven't looked, but as far as I'm aware you can't spend 2,000 doubloons in one go on consumable cammo, which can be identical to won consumable cammo (obviously), depending on which one(s) you're talking about.

I'm not certain why you're shouting though...?