You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Migantium_Mashum

Legendary Upgrade opinons/debate.

63 comments in this topic

Players
822 posts
8,080 battles

I have just unlocked my GK upgrade and I am thoroughly disappointed with it. I have already unlocked Shimakaze, Yeuyang and Gearing and to be honest so far only the Gearing has been any good because Captain skill choice offsets the deficits almost 100%...

Now GK gives you an increased reload of -15% for main and secondaries but offsets this by reducing the firing range to 19km.. I had 23.9km before the upgrade was placed.

I gain 5 seconds reload speed at the cost of almost 5km firing range.. am I alone in thinking the cost is too great?

I am not a sniping BB but I am pretty accurate long distance which helps deter pesky Cruisers from killing my DD allies...

Opinions welcome... If you like a specific upgrade I would be interested in why you like them as per if you dislike them...

[NWP]
Players
3,193 posts
5,586 battles

Personaly i might use it.

Im playing with reload mod anyway, which is -12% reload -13% turret traverse.

So i would get +3% faster reload (1 sec faster) and also gain 6% less slower turret traverse.

In exchange not shooting 20,6km, but rather 19km as you say. But i play with spotter plane, so this can offset the lower range. (might be a good reason to use the special spotting aircraft mod aswell then)

I dont want to deliberately shoot >19km anyway, and if you need to, spotter plane is enough for that.

Secondary reload is neglible, becuase i feel secondary build is not worth it in this meta.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
153 posts

I have the GK upgrade, it's one of the better ones.

Did you have the range mod before? Complete waste for this ship due to it's dispersion.

IMO the range decrease is almost never an issue, the extra reload is a constant buff.

[SHAD]
Players
153 posts

The secondary mod like the one  that shares a slot with the aiming systems needs to give a bigger buff (such as 40% increase to range and dispersion) as even with a GK the main guns are... the MAIN guns!

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles

I'm very interested to hear what people's views are too, now that they've been in play for a while.

I only have three T10s, and I think the Groz is the closest to being unlocked (the original view of this one seemed to be that it was worthwhile, if you were tooled up as a gunboat); of the remaining two, I gather that Gearing is worth using, and Shima is all kinds of worthless...

The impression I have is that for at least half of the LU, the costs of mounting them more than outweigh the benefits - is this still the general view?

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,193 posts
5,586 battles
14 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

The impression I have is that for at least half of the LU, the costs of mounting them more than outweigh the benefits - is this still the general view?

Ye i think so too.

So far i only have the Hindi LU, and i wont use it because of the concealment loss. Turns it even more into an HE spammer, which it isnt anyway.

Other ones i can get is Mino (wont use it) and GK (probably will use it).

Dont have more T10 ships right now (except Salem which doesnt have one).

The closest next one i would get is Worcester (only have seattle yet), and i dont think its a good trade for Concealment, especially after Radar range nerf.

• Cool 2

Players
822 posts
8,080 battles

My GK is set thus.. I like my secondary build and I am accurate with my long range shooting, dispersion seems not to be an Achilles heel to me for some reason.

Given I am an aggressive BB player and like to be there in the battle not at distance I use the range to frighten off enemy players from DD allies.

231507427_Screenshot(503).thumb.png.ed7d5989509541aaa009d5531b7d4c00.png

655510754_Screenshot(499).thumb.png.17c19b150c767c97e4058cd69c5e7ae6.png117264506_Screenshot(500).thumb.png.0ae7bc0aacaa3d86d0c01aaf98d5cf1b.png

My Shimakaze and Yeuyang upgrade sacrificed too much in my opinion.

With my Gearing the improved concealment to 5.6km was worth having and I offset the negatives with gun reload with a switch of skills to Basic Fire Training which took reload to 3.1 seconds . When I get Torpedo Armament Expertise it will offset the 5% loss to reload speed of my torpedoes...

360405681_Screenshot(501).thumb.png.427a4660738a170ff169d2cb0a06fee1.png1415792956_Screenshot(502).thumb.png.fc81bbb97e4e54f84855188b3109fa1e.png

@Verblonde only the Gearing upgrade seems worth it so far.. Currently grinding my Z-52, Minotaur & Worcester with a way to go yet so have no idea of others...

• Cool 1

Players
822 posts
8,080 battles
47 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

In exchange not shooting 20,6km, but rather 19km as you say. But i play with spotter plane, so this can offset the lower range. (might be a good reason to use the special spotting aircraft mod aswell then)

I dont want to deliberately shoot >19km anyway, and if you need to, spotter plane is enough for that.

I have always struggled with the spotter plane in any ship so I have never used it.. But, if you can use it accurately it certainly offsets the loss of range..

@gopher31 I seem to get away with dispersion.. in my last game I got a double citadel on a Yamato at 21km...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,054 posts
17,588 battles

last 21 days stats with LM, full dmg ifhe sec build (small calibre mb, no SI, etc.)... imo it can work ;)

Großer Kurfürst    Großer Kurfürst X 8 75%
Super Unicum
2 130
Unicum
124 873 1.13 4.25
  • Cool 3

Players
2,192 posts
8,468 battles
1 hour ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I have just unlocked my GK upgrade and I am thoroughly disappointed with it. I have already unlocked Shimakaze, Yeuyang and Gearing and to be honest so far only the Gearing has been any good because Captain skill choice offsets the deficits almost 100%...

Now GK gives you an increased reload of -15% for main and secondaries but offsets this by reducing the firing range to 19km.. I had 23.9km before the upgrade was placed.

I gain 5 seconds reload speed at the cost of almost 5km firing range.. am I alone in thinking the cost is too great?

I am not a sniping BB but I am pretty accurate long distance which helps deter pesky Cruisers from killing my DD allies...

Opinions welcome... If you like a specific upgrade I would be interested in why you like them as per if you dislike them...

The module is perfect.

I played with the reload module before and now its very good....

I am a infight BB and not a sniper and its no problem to go in range for most ships....

there long ranges are really bad balanced.

If you really need a longer range put in your range plane and all is fine.

This elite module is only for infight gamers and not campers oder range players.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,054 posts
17,588 battles
3 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I am working on being so good...:Smile_teethhappy:

nah, the ship is just the yolo'ers wet dream ;D.... just pray u dont get ocean map lol

• Cool 1

Players
822 posts
8,080 battles
Just now, MrWastee said:

nah, the ship is just the yolo'ers wet dream ;D.... just pray u dont get ocean map lol

But, I love Ocean in my GK... honest. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
Players
3,806 posts
6,533 battles
51 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

reducing the firing range to 19km..

...which is more than enough, especially when you have a SECONDARY BUILD. Secondaries don't shoot out to 23km, they do something like 11.7 for GK

And for the rare cases where you might need the range for some reason - you have a spotter plane giving you 22.74km. 1:40 base duration, can be upped to 2:10 with the spotter mod in the 1st slot. Plenty of time. (and can give you some extra "won't be shot down so easily" protection with the 1p "2x Floatplanes" captain skill)

53 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I am not a sniping BB but I am pretty accurate long distance

"accurate at long distance" when talking about a ship which couldn't hit a barn from the inside? Seriously? Even Yamato - the sniper rifle of BBs - is not accurate at long ranges, not even talking about GK

Or did you mean you can land a shell at long distances every now and then? I've citadelled a Zao with my Montana outside of my view range (range mod + spotter actually lets you fire further than you see / render), but that doesn't mean it's anything even remotely reliable. Sure, throw enough :etc_swear: at the wall and some of it will stick. But that's not what you call accurate

long distance which helps deter pesky Cruisers from killing my DD allies...

You know what helps at this exact thing even better? Actually sailing together with those cruisers instead of hiding  20km behind them

Shimakaze, Yeuyang and Gearing

• Shima
    • The reload part definitely is really nice, but that traverse part is highly questionable. Don't know anyone who actually uses it
  • YY
    • Would be great in the 6th slot. In the 5th (CE) one tho... Yeah, most definitely a no
  • Gearing
    • Highly situational, but it has its tradeoffs. Imo one of the better Legendary mods out there. Did seem to get some good use in high tier CB last season.
  • Cool 3

Players
822 posts
8,080 battles
7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

...which is more than enough, especially when you have a SECONDARY BUILD. Secondaries don't shoot out to 23km, they do something like 11.7 for GK

And for the rare cases where you might need the range for some reason - you have a spotter plane giving you 22.74km. 1:40 base duration, can be upped to 2:10 with the spotter mod in the 1st slot. Plenty of time. (and can give you some extra "won't be shot down so easily" protection with the 1p "2x Floatplanes" captain skill)

"accurate at long distance" when talking about a ship which couldn't hit a barn from the inside? Seriously? Even Yamato - the sniper rifle of BBs - is not accurate at long ranges, not even talking about GK

Or did you mean you can land a shell at long distances every now and then? I've citadelled a Zao with my Montana outside of my view range (range mod + spotter actually lets you fire further than you see / render), but that doesn't mean it's anything even remotely reliable. Sure, throw enough :etc_swear: at the wall and some of it will stick. But that's not what you call accurate

You know what helps at this exact thing even better? Actually sailing together with those cruisers instead of hiding  20km behind them

I actually do sail with my allies but a DD is faster in to a cap than I am and so when the DD lights up an intruding Cruiser I can fire at him as I move to join the DD.. I don't camp or snipe from distance.

See the reply from a guy I complimented... when my GK, his Montana and his clan mate Minotaur tore apart the enemy team with 8 of 12 kills after our team camped at A refusing to do anything... As I said I am aggressive..

486835539_Screenshot(494).thumb.png.38f7960754e32ef700ed3294b896e93f.png

1994402333_Screenshot(496).thumb.png.f11cbefb0406cd913ae98c8a6d58619f.png

I mean my long range shots are accurate despite dispersion... A few of my GK games and checking my stats my BB stats have increased by 4% in 7 days in my GK..

215901023_Screenshot(478).thumb.png.167ebb8dca4a16e5f42d0046d9b50f91.png

558965094_Screenshot(483).thumb.png.9918f4a5097eafcd1ff429367ea9b4cf.png

1402132870_Screenshot(495).thumb.png.f17c7e2f3f369b1b8ae2de0b7187cef1.png

421994086_Screenshot(497).thumb.png.503f72b22a548099678cd234710d9021.png

I have never been able to use spotter plane with any ship so never equip it.. I have problems with my eyes so it could be the reason...

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,193 posts
5,586 battles
41 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

last 21 days stats with LM, full dmg ifhe sec build (small calibre mb, no SI, etc.)... imo it can work ;)

Großer Kurfürst    Großer Kurfürst X 8 75%
Super Unicum
2 130
Unicum
124 873 1.13 4.25

Im actually moving away from the secondary build...

Doesnt feel viable in my book. Currently i kinda have a mix (Manual Secondaries + AFT i have, but took CE and swapped the secondary module for Aiming system mod 1 just now)

Damage + kills is fine, WR is debatable but i still have only few games played.

Should get even better with the LU.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,054 posts
17,588 battles
7 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Im actually moving away from the secondary build...

Doesnt feel viable in my book. Currently i kinda have a mix (Manual Secondaries + AFT i have, but took CE and swapped the secondary module for Aiming system mod 1 just now)

Damage + kills is fine, WR is debatable but i still have only few games played.

Should get even better with the LU.

i actually did start the 10th ranked season for the lulz with it.... wrecked through to r5 like whatnot on it, ranked is like made for the lulz style ;D :). up from there i needed the monti though, but still for some weird reason that build on that ship feels like made for me. it's, when playing out effectively (4 sure not always the case!), just the "came-to-pixels....-middlefinger" :Smile_trollface:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,452 battles
24 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

i actually did start the 10th ranked season for the lulz with it.... wrecked through to r5 like whatnot on it, ranked is like made for the lulz style ;D :). up from there i needed the monti though, but still for some weird reason that build on that ship feels like made for me. it's, when playing out effectively (4 sure not always the case!), just the "came-to-pixels....-middlefinger" :Smile_trollface:

I normally don't even like battleships much, but recently secondary KG has been my favorite ship in the game. Wrecking ships with IFHE is so much fun. I also have LM for it.

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,962 posts
13,451 battles

Given I am an aggressive BB player and like to be there in the battle not at distance I use the range to frighten off enemy players from DD allies.

So... why are you running range mod then? Shouldn't gun reload suit you better?

• Cool 2

Players
51 posts
6,676 battles

For anyone running a secondary build on the Kurfürst, it's simply very, very good. You don't lose significant secondary volume compared to Secondary Battery Modification 3, and you get a big boost in main battery volume. The loss in range is a non-issue since your build is not for long distances in the first place. 

If you don't run secondary build, then it's a different story... I'll always run secondary build on the Kurfürst simply because it's more fun. If I want to snipe I'll take out the Yamato instead, which also has a great legendary mod for that kind of play. 

In general I feel the legendary mods are pretty well thought out. They support each ship's unique play style, which may or may not be most efficient in the current meta. High-tier German BB's are suffering right now. 

République becomes a monster with the legendary upgrade dropping main battery reload time below 20 seconds. Like with the Kurfürst the loss of range isn't really relevant. You come around an island running the 4.5 min turbo and quickly send the other guy to kingdom come. Or at least that's what you're best at. 

(Haven't tried other than these three yet. Possibly some are completely useless) 

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles
16 minutes ago, asalonen said:

Possibly some are completely useless

<passing Shima waves>

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
822 posts
8,080 battles
56 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

So... why are you running range mod then? Shouldn't gun reload suit you better?

It's just the way I like to play.. If I can get shots on a ship closing an ally it tends to dissuade them from coming closer especially as I seem to be able to ping some good hits at distance. Then as I close my results gets better further with the benefit of secondary actions below 11.6km.. The loss of 5km could mean the death of an ally if the attacking enemy ship does not have my shells to worry about... You get pinged by a GK closing a cap you tend to have second thoughts.. So the way I play range trumps reload speed and my allies benefit from it.

Everyone has a unique play style, some people like faster reloads with low range, some people use spotting aircraft to compensate but I prefer the range.. and I have saved many a DD from slaughter just being able to hit an enemy over 20km away from me... obviously as I am not driving a speedboat it takes time to close in...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,962 posts
13,451 battles
12 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

If I can get shots on a ship closing an ally it tends to dissuade them from coming closer especially as I seem to be able to ping some good hits at distance.

It does? Christ...

Tbh that says more about the average level of play than the usefulness of the extra range, but meh, if you can find success with it I won't begrudge you for it.

[ADRIA]
Players
3,806 posts
6,533 battles

I actually do sail with my allies but a DD is faster in to a cap than I am and so when the DD lights up an intruding Cruiser I can fire at him as I move to join the DD..

And at that point those enemies - mostly looking at cruisers here - would be at some 12...18km from you, well inside your firing range. Anything past that isn't a threat to your DD, is it?

I have never been able to use spotter plane with any ship so never equip it..

This is a matter of practice, practice and more practice. if you use "static" crosshair instead of dynamic you can make it easier by taking the one with the extra angled lines - Type7 or whatever it was called.

Spotter has longer view range (15km instead of 11), makes shooting at smoke and over islands easier, and for those rare times it's needed it gives you extra range. Meanwhile all that the fighter does is dies to the bombers rear gunner

Also recently I saw something about a mod which lets you to get the extra range without the elevated view

10 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

The loss of 5km could mean the death of an ally if the attacking enemy ship does not have my shells to worry about...

I think we have different definitions for "close". If the enemy is further than 19km away from you - you are not close to him, you are basically half-of-the-map away from him. And clearly you're not close to the ally you are "protecting" either

13 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

So the way I play range trumps reload speed

Which means you are the useless BB sitting 20km behind everyone sniping in a GK instead of moving up closer and actually trying to help. Sure explains the WR you have in it...

Hell, I myself don't go reload unless there's nothing better to pick, but range... it's not better. It's really not. Range mod on Monty? Tell me what else to pick in 3rd slot - AA in CB is useless, and secondaries on Monty... oh pls.

Players
822 posts
8,080 battles
3 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And at that point those enemies - mostly looking at cruisers here - would be at some 12...18km from you, well inside your firing range. Anything past that isn't a threat to your DD, is it?

This is a matter of practice, practice and more practice. if you use "static" crosshair instead of dynamic you can make it easier by taking the one with the extra angled lines - Type7 or whatever it was called.

Spotter has longer view range (15km instead of 11), makes shooting at smoke and over islands easier, and for those rare times it's needed it gives you extra range. Meanwhile all that the fighter does is dies to the bombers rear gunner

Also recently I saw something about a mod which lets you to get the extra range without the elevated view

I think we have different definitions for "close". If the enemy is further than 19km away from you - you are not close to him, you are basically half-of-the-map away from him. And clearly you're not close to the ally you are "protecting" either

Which means you are the useless BB sitting 20km behind everyone sniping in a GK instead of moving up closer and actually trying to help. Sure explains the WR you have in it...

Hell, I myself don't go reload unless there's nothing better to pick, but range... it's not better. It's really not. Range mod on Monty? Tell me what else to pick in 3rd slot - AA in CB is useless, and secondaries on Monty... oh pls.

As I get closer my accuracy improves.

I try to be never more than 10km from any ship I support.

Okay, so you understand.. I am closing on an allied DD to a cap zone...he gets there before me because he can travel at 38 knots; me I cannot travel at 38 knots in a BB so cannot arrive alongside the DD can I, thought you'd have known that tbh,  so any enemy the allied DD sees at 10km will be 20km from me because I am not that fast..but I am closing and as I get closer my accuracy gets better... you are obviously not reading my posts are you?

I can give you a link to my videos if you wish, you can see my gameplay, what doesn't speak cannot lie... In fact in game I am usually telling other BB allies not to camp or hold back...Did list some recent results..look above a little bit.. no higher, higher..there you've found them.. that look like a camper to you?

Why bring my WR in to this?

Declaration:

YES MY WR IS STILL LOW, BUT IT IMPROVES EVERY DAY, YES MY WR WAS WORSE BUT IT IMPROVES EVERY DAY, I CANNOT GO FROM CRAP TO UNICUM IN ONE DAY..can I?

Considering my GK WR was 34% in March I think 47% is a vast improvement and it isn't just my performance in game that guarantees victory and an increased WR is it now...unless you know something I don't eh?