FerrowTheFox

Desperately in need of help to get better

23 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
811 battles

Hey everyone, new(ish) player and new forumite here!

I came to the forums to ask for your help, as I'm in desperate need of suggestions. I'm just passing my 400 random battle mark and in the last few weeks my WR has dropped considerably to now a measly 46%. :Smile_sad: Now I'm the first to admit I'm not a great player (yet), but I consider myself not beyond help and I really want to get better.
This is going to be a bit of a longer post so I apologize in adavance and ask for your patience.

So, a while ago a friend of mine got me into WoWS and he let me play a few games on his account (he mains BB) and while I really enjoyed the game, I instantly knew BBs were not my cup of tea.
No, I was going to be and still am a big DD fan. I love everything about those little turds and they fit right into my style of playing glass cannons and general support in other games (for those of you who've played Fractured Space, I mained the Interceptor). I'm especially a big fan of the IJN DDs, not surprising since I'm a f**king weeb lover of japanese culture *cough* and love the torp heavy play.

And yes, before you say it: I KNOW they're hard to pick up and even harder to master. I'm just crazy that way I guess, I really want to master them.
I have all IJN DDs up to Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu and plan to grind for the Akizuki (I want to try out a pure IJN gun bote and see if it fits me), then give that line a rest and grind different DDs until I feel comfortable enough to go into top tiers.
Akatsuki is my fave at the moment, but I'm absolutely failing in Shira.

Ok, why, so what's my problem?
I just...keep losing. At first I though it was just a bad losing streak, but since then I've just stayed in a spot of mediocricity in regards to WR. 

I've already read and watched most material on how to drive DDs better and I still don't have the impact I'd like.
I think even if my awareness, tactical decisions, etc. have become better, my WR has actually declined from when I just YOLO'd around the battlefield.

A few months ago it was win some lose some, but now...
Sometimes I can pull amazing wins, or even a kraken but still it's very inconsistent. If I end up losing, I'm still on top of the scoreboard frequently.

Again, not saying I was great in those games (just look at the score difference), but jeez, I really don't know why I'm doing so badly. It's very frustrating.

What I've tried:
- Dropping down to lower tiers again with mixed success as the randomness of team quality is higher down there.
- Divisioning up with friends. Very fun, but as all my friends are <100 battles, I'm more of the teacher here than the learner...and I'm not sure if combining our n00bishness is better or worse.

I've also already identified some things I need to work on:
- Prioritize survival over taking caps.
- Be more patient and careful with positioning.
- Know when to bug out.
These are points I have a bit of a problem with, as it frustrates me to no end when I need to give up a flank or cap, but I know I need to learn when to just fold and relocate.
Also improving situational awareness is an ongoing effort. I oftentimes see when a flank collapses and relocate accordingly, but sometimes I still suddenly realize I'm on my own after my backup vanished or simply didn't support and pulling out would've been better.

Well, with all that self-diagnosis and trying to improve my games of late seem to go like this:

For example, I was in Shiratsuyu, one of only 2 DDs. I go up front to a cap, spot one enemy DD. Ok, he'd outgun me, no chance to contest the cap alone. I mark him for friendlies. Nothing happens, just long range fire against BBs. I turn to evade being spotted. I ping again. Nothing. I eventually get spotted, enemy team opens up on me like hell. I pop smoke, run, take quite a few dents but I escape. My team instantly asks for me to spot. I politely tell them I'll gladly spot, but need help against that DD. Ok, new approach. I see a smokescreen a bit off and torp into it to force the enemy DD out. He eats one torp, but no kill. He comes out of the smoke, straight for me. I hold fire and hammer F3. Nothing. He detects me, so I open fire on him with guns myself and wind him down to an inch of his life before being killed by the enemy team who promptly opened fire on me again now I was visible. Team writes "stupid DD no spotting".

The other day, I'm in Mutsuki. Our team has a good start. I cap, spot, contest and do pretty well. We then have all three caps. Then I look at the top and suddenly see half of our team dead. HOW? Ok, still winable, they lostall but one of their DDs. Gotta sink some BBs now that I'm almost uncontested. Jinx! Enemy KM DD finds me and I die to his guns, game lost. Oh and I was out of smoke because I gave it to a teammate in a pinch just for him to sail straight through it and die anyway.

Sometimes I feel no matter what I do, I end up losing anyway! Either I die to an enemy gun-DD or I do well but somehow my team dies behind me...

But I don't want to whine all day, the only blame I can assign is to me and I want to lean how to make the most of it and get better.

I mean I clearly must be doing something wrong?
This finally leads me to my questions:

- As you can probably tell I feel pretty uneasy against other more gun-heavy DDs. Are IJN DDs just a bit out of luck with almost any other DD having the upper hand in a 1 vs. 1 fight (in regards to DPS)? Are they just so reliant on teamwork that it depends heavily on what randoms you're paired with? Should I just stay even further away from contested caps? Or am I just that bad at making them work consistently? :cap_hmm:

- I recently tried a bit of V-25 and Sampson and they seem like fun. Maybe I should pause on the IJN for a bit? I'd have some guns to at least try to defend myself then.

- Also, I know I made the mistake of taking a new commander for every new ship instead of levelling one and then reassign him. So I don't have access to CE yet (8 point is max for any of my commanders) and that might be another issue. Should I just grind until CE and then see what happens?

- Is it just a matter of getting more experience and "git gud" or should I try something specific?

Anyway this concludes my lengthy explanation, I'm looking forward to what you have to say.

Thank you very much, I'll take any suggestions to heart!

Take care!

• Cool 11

Players
1,397 posts
14,395 battles

First of all, let me applaud to you for one of the best #1 posts I have seen on this forum. :cap_like:

You would like to win more battles? Pick something else than IJN DDs. At least for now, until you get some more experience. I wish I could say something else, but this is the sad truth. (Too many whiny BB players cried about IJN DD torpedoes, so they got nerfed hard a long time ago.)

I would recommend US DDs, US and IJN cruisers. Play those to tier 5 or 6 and you will learn some valuable lessons. It's also much easier to fight for caps which helps you win some more battles. I would also recommend to at least try to play one line of BBs to tier 5 or 6 if you feel like you can bear with it. The better you know your enemy the easier it will be to hit him with torpedoes.

Some general advice: Most players don't care much about winning, they just want to explode some ships. Sometimes teamwork will happen but it's better to not rely on it. You will have bad streaks, maybe one is even happening now. On the bright side, you will have good streaks as well. :Smile_Default:

So, what can you do to win more? You shouldn't be too hard to yourself, you are still a new player and there is a lot to learn. Just enjoy the game and try to learn from your mistakes. You'll get better eventually. If you struggle at higher tiers maybe you aren't ready yet. Play in lower tiers until you see an improvement. High tier isn't a better game, especially for IJN DDs, it's just different from low and mid tiers. So there is no rush to get up there, take your time.

Some tips from looking at your stats:

• Don't play too many COOP battles. It's great for testing new ships or when you just need a win, but it doesn't teach you anything about how to fight against human players. In contrary, you develop some habits which will lower your survival and winning chance in random battles.
  • Try to be less aggressive when you play a cruiser. These ships can dish out a lot of damage over time but they don't like to get shot at (aka glass cannon). Situational awareness is key, who has shots, who is aiming at you? The captain skill Priority Target (1 point) tells you how many enemies have locked on to you as a target. Sometimes it is better to hold your fire until you get into a safer position.
  • IJN DDs need the concealment expert (CE) captain skill, don't play without it at tier 6/7+. It's best to train one captain through the ship line so you have the most experienced captain in your highest tier ship. Why? Your enemies at low tiers have low skill captains, they don't have CE as well. At higher tiers almost everybody has CE so you are at a hefty disadvantage and that's why you struggle with your tier 7s. Your long-term goal should be to get a 19 point captain who earns elite captain xp (WoWS wiki article here). This can be used to retrain captains for a new ship instantly or to boost them to 10 points so you can get CE on a new captain.

About IJN DDs:

• The torpedoes have good damage and a high chance for flooding but they can be detected early and therefore are quite easy to dodge. To hit something you need to get into position first so your target is broadside to your torpedoes when they get to him. This gets easier when you gain some experience, how do players think, what can their ships do, what can't they do, what will they want to do in 60 - 90 seconds.
  • The guns are slow to turn, the shells are fast. You can outgun a US DD at long ranges because he will have a hard time to hit you with his rainbow arcs. You don't want to fight him at close range. Soviet DDs: You don't want to shoot them at all, they outgun you at every range. However, when a target is very low HP and you can kill him with one or two salvos: do it, use your guns.
  • 1v1 DDs: You don't want direct engagements. You spot the enemy DD, mark him with F3 for your team and hope they shoot. Either they hit him or they scare him which will make him leave the cap or smoke up. Send some fishes into his smoke and wait it out. Either he dies or his smoke expires and you spot him again for your team. How about a real 1v1 without teammates? Run away. Or hit him with a torpedo and finish him with guns. (Hard to achieve unless the enemy is an idiot less skilled.)
  • IJN DDs are relatively weak early in the battle, they gain in strength the longer the battle lasts. That's why survival and HP conservation should be your priority at all times. Don't just go in, always have an out ready. For example if you used your smoke for a friendly, wait until it comes off cooldown before you make a risky play.

If you would like to know more about specific ships, check the Ships section in Guides. There are helpful videos on youtube for a lot of ships, though most are for higher tiers. Example: How To Clemson, a short entertaining video on how to US DD. If you would like to learn directly from an experienced player you can check the Help Me thread which is pinned in the Newcomer's section.

Good luck and happy fishing! :fish_happy:

• Cool 3

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,649 posts
9,230 battles

Same advice as above, try playing something other than IJN DDs. 

They're very focused on a single thing, and as a newer player you want to keep your options open during a battle. 

German DDs do that quite well, though you have to wait until t6 to get a very good true multifunction ship. 

Whatever you do don't despair, DDs are risky and even the best player can get unlucky and die quickly. 

As for winning more? 

Try new branches. Get more t5 and t6 experience. 

See what ship can do what and you will have a better idea as to what to expect when you face one. 

It doesn't have to be every branch thankfully, but a good start is another DD, a very standard cruiser and a very standard BB. 

The act of asking around pretty much shows that you will do fine. 

• Cool 1

[ZEN]
Players
108 posts
16,706 battles

Good post! Hopefully these suggestions / ideas can also be of help to you: 

Even if you are, as you write, a big destroyer fan, one of the keys to becoming better with DD's could also be to try out other ship classes. 

In the world of battleships, the action seems to go slower, which gives you more time to plan ahead and observe what is going on around you. In this case, also -- and in particular -- it allows you to see how other players are handling their destroyers. You can learn from that, by simply seeing what happens and then using or applying that in your own DD-battles. 

The natural adversary of the destroyer is -- besides other destroyers -- of course also the cruiser. By learning to play cruisers well, you can learn to see the world from your enemy's vantage point. Learn how to hunt and kill destroyers in a cruiser, then that will help you to survive when you are in your own destroyer again. 

It is of course purely a matter of play-style, but in my case at low- and mid-tiers I can warmly recommend good sturdy battleships like Bellerophon, Kaiser, and Kongo. 

As for cruisers, if you're not too keen on hiding / sitting behind islands, you could try good flexible cruisers like St. Louis, Friant, Yubari (excellent guns!), Svietlana (good fire-setter), or Königsberg (good all-rounder). 

As our friends Ze_Reckless and Exocet6951 already mention above, try other trees for good destroyers. In this category, I have had a lot of fun with Vampire & Valkyrie, Clemson (one of the strongest DD's in the game, if you ask me), and ships like Podvoisky & Okhotnik (even though the latter does require, shall we say, "special handling" -- a real fun-boat though!). 

Also, dare to make mistakes. You learn a lot from those (and maybe not so much from the things you do right). So there is your biggest growth opportunity! 

Whichever way, I wish you luck and above all, tons of fun in this great game! Don't forget, it shouldn't always be about the numbers, but perhaps more so about purely enjoyment. That's what I'm here for, at least... 

Hope our advice here is of support & CU on future waves :o) 

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
369 posts
1,606 battles

Hey @FerrowTheFox welcome aboard :)

I am by no means a good player, but a few things I have only really begun to understand recently when playing DD's are: 

1) DD vs DD fights are normally won by the DD that has the most support. Yes, gun-boat vs non-gunboat DD fights are pretty much decided... but not entirely. When going for caps and you suspect (most games!) there will be an enemy DD, assume he will also have at least 1 cruiser support. Try to ensure you have your own within 4 km of you - or at least a gunboat DD. Assess the cap - look at where the islands are, where cover is, and figure out where your own cruiser will and will not be able to shoot. Then do the same for where the enemy cruiser may/may not be able to. Ideally, you want to position such that you can't be shot at without forcing the enemy DD into the firing angles your cruiser has, whilst you still remain blocked from his cruiser (islands!). If he commits, don't be afraid to shoot him, and don't flee into the firing arcs of the enemy cruiser in your haste to get away - yes, you may bleed some health but if that DD dies (because of your support and your own guns!!) and you survive, you have an advantage. Also, if the DD is far enough away, as soon as you have baited his fire, you can smoke up KNOWING (planning part comes into play here) that the friendly cruiser support can now hard-spot him from the gun bloom (in otherwise, you take care in positioning so he is not hidden from your cruiser by your smoke!). Then you can stealth-shoot him from your smoke whilst reaming relatively safe from harm. If he is too close however, don't bother smoking - at best, you will 'waste' your smoke (he'll be close enough that you wont be undetected long) and at worse, if he does kill you, you give him a free smoke. Of course, you may assess that it is better to just bug out asap without losing any health, but that is your call and really depends on the cap/map/game/situation :).

2) Providing friendly smoke is good, but rarely works unless they request it. I find the only people who take advantage of smoke that you drop for without communicating (assuming you lay it in the right place) are radar cruisers or DD's who are fleeing with their own smoke on cooldown (although that is situational!).

3) Not-blocking vision is as important as providing it - as per point 1, when planning your 'escape' routes, try make sure that when you may be forced to drop smoke to escape that you wont be blocking LoS for your friendlies. Also, you probably know this, but don't drop smoke just because you are spotted - again, you want to try to bait the enemy DD into opening fire, THEN you smoke up... although every situation does vary of course.

4) As others have suggested, try playing other classes a bit. Learn what they can and can't do, their strengths, their weaknesses, and then try to adapt your DD play to allow your teammates to use their advantages and hopefully to pressure the enemy's weaknesses.

5) IJN 'Torp-line' DD's do have guns! And whilst not great RoF/DPM and slow turning, they do have pretty good alpha - don't forget you have them!

There is lots more I need to learn, and I'm sure others will have much better advice from a background of better experience, but I hope this helps.

Oh, the other thing - you will get lots of advice. Don't let it overwhelm you - it takes a while to start 'clicking', just keep playing whilst trying to implement it bit at a time. Also looking over your own replays helps a lot - I don't get a lot of time in-game so I tend to record mine as videos then I can watch them at a later date on my phone. It's easier to spot mistakes when you are not in the heat of battle, and you can then start to bring that 'learning' forward into your games 'real-time'.

Good luck, and have fun:Smile_Default:

• Cool 3

Players
984 posts
8,151 battles

Sounds like you've progressed too fast and are playing to reckless and aggressive.

You can't do that at the midling and higher levels any more or you will get punished harshly.

Watch this:

• Cool 2

Players
5 posts
811 battles

Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies and great advice! :cap_wander:

I'll just quickly reply to a few snippets here but thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! I'm really happy for all of them.

Vor 12 Stunden, Ze_Reckless sagte:

You would like to win more battles? Pick something else than IJN DDs. At least for now, until you get some more experience. I wish I could say something else, but this is the sad truth. (Too many whiny BB players cried about IJN DD torpedoes, so they got nerfed hard a long time ago.)

I would recommend US DDs, US and IJN cruisers. Play those to tier 5 or 6 and you will learn some valuable lessons. It's also much easier to fight for caps which helps you win some more battles. I would also recommend to at least try to play one line of BBs to tier 5 or 6 if you feel like you can bear with it. The better you know your enemy the easier it will be to hit him with torpedoes. 

Yeah, I've read the story behind the IJN torp nerf. I mean the old Shimmie sounds like she was a bit op, but then again it often baffles me how long some people drive in straight lines so there's that as well. (Torps get spotted by plane en rout to target, target still sails right into them).

Ok so I guess I'll go up the USN DD and cruiser branch and dust off my Kuma (fave CL so far) then! :D

Some tips from looking at your stats: [...]

Yeah, Co-Op is just a mindless brawl and does not translate to real battles, I learned that the hard way (trying to go straight at a BB :P). I only play so much beacuse my friends mostly want to play it. At this point I'm rather bored with it compared to random.

As I thought, CE really is a must have. Ok, I'll grind my Commanders and make a 19pt Captain my long trem goal.

About IJN DDs: [...]

VERY solid advice about the shell arcs there! I'll absolutelly keep that in mind.

Vor 12 Stunden, Exocet6951 sagte:

Try new branches. Get more t5 and t6 experience. 

See what ship can do what and you will have a better idea as to what to expect when you face one. 

It doesn't have to be every branch thankfully, but a good start is another DD, a very standard cruiser and a very standard BB. 

Vor 12 Stunden, Midway67 sagte:

The natural adversary of the destroyer is -- besides other destroyers -- of course also the cruiser. By learning to play cruisers well, you can learn to see the world from your enemy's vantage point. Learn how to hunt and kill destroyers in a cruiser, then that will help you to survive when you are in your own destroyer again. 

Will do! And maybe the different capabilities and playstyles are exactly what I need at the moment.

Vor 11 Stunden, Rusty_9 sagte:

5) IJN 'Torp-line' DD's do have guns! And whilst not great RoF/DPM and slow turning, they do have pretty good alpha - don't forget you have them!

[...]

Also looking over your own replays helps a lot.

Yeah, I know. The guns aren't even bad, but the turret traverse is HORRIBLE even with upgrades and the ROF is lacking as well. So I mostly use them to finish something off or while kiting (the reason I love Akatsuki: superfiring double turrets astern!)

This is a good advice! Looking at replays should help spot mistakes from an outside perspective. Will do!

So to sum it up: I'll try to get a feel for different DDs and also try my hand at more CL/CA and maybe even BB and watch my replays.

Grinding up a 19 pt captain as a long term goal and of course, as always, improving map awareness and positioning.

Again, thank you everyone!

WoWS seems to have a great and very friendly community judging from all the earnest friendly replies.

See you out there!

• Cool 3

[BONI]
Players
1,034 posts
8,904 battles
11 hours ago, FerrowTheFox said:

The other day, I'm in Mutsuki. Our team has a good start. I cap, spot, contest and do pretty well. We then have all three caps. Then I look at the top and suddenly see half of our team dead. HOW? Ok, still winable, they lostall but one of their DDs. Gotta sink some BBs now that I'm almost uncontested. Jinx! Enemy KM DD finds me and I die to his guns, game lost.

Now that's just your own fault. You outspot and outrun t5-7 Germans. Get Radio Location, it's useful on DDs.

11 hours ago, FerrowTheFox said:

For example, I was in Shiratsuyu, one of only 2 DDs. I go up front to a cap, spot one enemy DD. Ok, he'd outgun me, no chance to contest the cap alone. I mark him for friendlies. Nothing happens, just long range fire against BBs.

I hate to blame my team but... yeah your team wasn't doing its job. The whole point of stealth on undergunned, slowish DDs like Shira or T-22 is to light up enemy DDs for your teammates before you are spotted yourself.

Also, holy crap, you don't have CE? It's like taking a butter knife to a gun fight. That's your no. 1 issue right there. Go five-star the op that gives a 10-point IJN captain, if that's still available. Or play some other type of ship until you have CE.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,129 posts
14,505 battles

IJN DD's getting buffed soon ,  just play them . and just realize mutsuki is worst one of the bunch

Also as other said CE is a must have skill

Get the shinonome if you can to

• Cool 1

Players
1,271 posts
3,476 battles
3 hours ago, Ysterpyp said:

Get the shinonome if you can to

Given that the TC has not played all that many battles and even states he's gotten as far as Shiratsuyu/Akatsuki, we can assume he does not have any T10 ships and thus cannot complete the missions to get Shinonome (yet).

Also, I don't know if I personally can recommend Shino. Maybe mine's just cursed?

I can't seem to hit anything with her torps. She has one of my worst torpedo hit ratios among all of my DDs played, absolute worst if we count only IJN DDs.

She also feels REALLY sluggish, like her rudder is super-unresponsive and she heamorrhages speed in a turn, whether it's just because I'm used to higher-tier IJN DDs?

Anyway, in terms of premium ships for captain training, sadly Shino is pretty much it for the Japanese Torpedoboat Destroyers at the moment.

Kamikaze (R/Fujin) wil never be sold again, HSF Harekaze was limited to an anime collab (the license of which has expired:Smile_sad:) and the less said about Asashio, the better.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles

@FerrowTheFox - besides the excellent advice already given, I might suggest thinking about the following:

• Join a clan - it won't help your gameplay as such, but it will give you bonuses on things like coal, and lower silver prices for ships etc. Plus, you'll often have people to play with/learn from.
  • +1 on the ten-point captain advice - playing any DD (T5+) without CE is a miserable experience (besides getting good captains from missions, if you have money available, 10-pointers periodically show up in the shop too).
  • Playing some of the other DD lines will get you used to playing without best-in-class concealment; learn to play in that situation, and your IJN torp boats suddenly feel much nicer.
  • Read up/watch some YouTube videos on the subject of radar - that's the big (nasty) change that DDs face with T7 (and especially T8) opponents.
  • Help is coming - the IJN DDs are (mostly) getting a buff to their guns soon; that should make their use marginally less of a hopeless proposition.
  • Re: captain trainer; as mentioned above, the Asashio is the only IJN premium DD easily available and it is, erm, non-typical; in a pinch though, the coal ship Yubari (despite being a cruiser) works surprisingly well with a DD captain.
  • Cool 1

Players
5 posts
811 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Verblonde sagte:

@FerrowTheFox - besides the excellent advice already given, I might suggest thinking about the following:

• Join a clan - it won't help your gameplay as such, but it will give you bonuses on things like coal, and lower silver prices for ships etc. Plus, you'll often have people to play with/learn from.
  • +1 on the ten-point captain advice - playing any DD (T5+) without CE is a miserable experience (besides getting good captains from missions, if you have money available, 10-pointers periodically show up in the shop too).
  • Playing some of the other DD lines will get you used to playing without best-in-class concealment; learn to play in that situation, and your IJN torp boats suddenly feel much nicer.
  • Read up/watch some YouTube videos on the subject of radar - that's the big (nasty) change that DDs face with T7 (and especially T8) opponents.
  • Help is coming - the IJN DDs are (mostly) getting a buff to their guns soon; that should make their use marginally less of a hopeless proposition.
  • Re: captain trainer; as mentioned above, the Asashio is the only IJN premium DD easily available and it is, erm, non-typical; in a pinch though, the coal ship Yubari (despite being a cruiser) works surprisingly well with a DD captain.

I'm thinking about joining a clan already, as I think some more experienced players there could show me a thing or two when devisioning.

CE skill is definitely on my list now and I'm really looking forward to slashing that detectability value.

Getting used to worse concealment is sound advice. After only trying out G-101 shortly, I can say getting used to those concealment values is...challenging after being used to IJN DDs.

I've had a few run-ins with radar in my T6 and 7 ships...that was the moment I switched on ship names for the minimap :Smile_veryhappy: Adapting to it is also an ongoing effort.

Yes, I've heard there's a buff coming for IJN DD guns, so I'm waiting curiously how that'll turn out.

I picked up Yuubari a while back, so I can use her for captain training!

Again, thanks for all the great feedback guys! :fish_cute_2:

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,245 posts
6,036 battles

@FerrowTheFox didn't read your huge post yet, but I can tell you one thing: with 700 battles you're still at the beginning. When I had 1000 battles, I was also still somehow inexperiencend. So don't worry, you will get better over time, just keep playing, watch sometimes some videos on youtube, and you will get better. For being good in this game you will need a lot knowledge, so you have to learn it over time :)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles
56 minutes ago, FerrowTheFox said:

I'm thinking about joining a clan already, as I think some more experienced players there could show me a thing or two when devisioning.

Definitely a good idea; bear in mind that you aren't tied to the clan you join initially for ever - make an initial pick on the basis of what suits your needs now (presumably learning), and stick around until your needs change. You can always move later on.

Keep an eye out for forum folk in the game too - quite a few of us are happy to division up for a few games to help out people who want to learn (I personally tend to keep odd hours, due to being on Toronto time, but ping me if you see me).

1 hour ago, FerrowTheFox said:

CE skill is definitely on my list now and I'm really looking forward to slashing that detectability value.

It's only 10% on DDs (everything else will get 10% too in a future patch; at the moment, it's more for other classes), but it still makes a significant difference. Always play assuming your opponent has CE, even if you don't - it'll help avoid nasty surprises. Normally, you have to spend gold to re-spec a captain's skills, so keep an eye out for any free re-specs when they come along. In terms of your initial choices, it's always wise to have a look at the wiki (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships) - each ship entry has a section showing the various captain skills and their usefulness to that ship.

For most DDs, your first ten points will usually be: PT or PM (I like the latter; most seem to like the former), LS (pretty much universal), SE (almost universal), and CE (universal); after that, you can get a bit more variety. The ship comrade captain skill thing is worth a look as well as the wiki: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc especially for developing the later stages of your build. It takes ages to get your captains experienced though, so it's a good idea to try and get your initial core build as right as possible

that was the moment I switched on ship names for the minimap

That reminds me: if you haven't already, remember to customise your mini-map for each ship (hold down ctrl and click the cogwheels top right of the mini-map) - for your DDs, especially, the air detection radius is worth showing, as well as things like hydro range (when you get it).

Speaking of matters relating to stealth: for most DDs, if your AA has a range longer than your air detectability range, remember to toggle it off most of the time (hit p), otherwise, you'll automatically fire at aircraft and give your position away sooner, with not much chance of killing them. Press and hold the H key to show a snapshot of the relevant stats in game, if you can't remember the relevant numbers. You can switch on your AA when the plane spots you; you'll lose nothing by firing once spotted, and you might even hit something. There are one or two DDs with (relatively speaking) good-to-monster AA - the same principles apply even to them, but you just opt to open fire more often.

I picked up Yuubari a while back, so I can use her for captain training!

Although she's only T4, she seems to have a bit of a cult following; she's rather fun - I treat her as a tubby DD/cruiser hybrid with a citadel. She's fragile, but you can mount planes on her, at a gentle tier for learning, and the initial DD build works quite well with her (LS for example, as she often gets her rudder etc. shot off!).

Speaking of gentle tiers: if you find you're having a bad run (everyone gets them), drop back to T4 for a few games - whilst a lot of your fellow players may well not exactly know what they're doing, you get protected +1 MM, so the worst opponent you'll see is T5. This provides a less hostile environment in which to hone your strategies, until you feel the mockers gods have moved on to some other hapless berk.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles

Post-script on the wiki, especially captain skills: it isn't necessarily 'right' all the time; opinion varies on captains skills quite a lot - you'll work out what sort of thing works for you, and you can always ask on here for opinions. The wiki is a pretty decent starting point though, and it's rarely flat-out wrong...

• Cool 1

Players
850 posts
6,936 battles

My advice? Stop levelling and play Fubuki until it's second nature. Learn to put your torpedoes where an aggressive enemy will be. With a ship like that, which can kick out 9 torpedoes every 70 seconds, you can constantly have fish in the water without being in any danger yourself. With that level of firepower you can contest caps with no risk, escort allied ships into an enemy cap, lock down an entire side of the map in defence. Your biggest risk is getting too close to the enemy - IJN torps are slow, easily spotted, easy to dodge. If you want to play aggressively, pick another line.

And yes, do go back and play some low Tier DDs. V-25 is a classic, with its jousting torpedoes and Medea - like most of the low Tier RN DDs - is an absolute beast. Play those ships until you see why they're so good. 

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
1,129 posts
14,505 battles
12 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I can't seem to hit anything with her torps.

shino is about the guns tho , esp after buffs 

• Cool 1

Players
5 posts
811 battles
Vor 13 Stunden, Verblonde sagte:

Definitely a good idea; bear in mind that you aren't tied to the clan you join initially for ever - make an initial pick on the basis of what suits your needs now (presumably learning), and stick around until your needs change. You can always move later on.

Keep an eye out for forum folk in the game too - quite a few of us are happy to division up for a few games to help out people who want to learn (I personally tend to keep odd hours, due to being on Toronto time, but ping me if you see me).

That's good to know since I was a bit shy about joining. I've gotten a few invitations in-game but didn't want to commit rightaway.

I'll also gladly keep that in mind. I'm in Germany, so UTC+1, but I also usually play between evening and night over here (somewhere between 8pm and 2am UTC).

Also, don't worry I speak english pretty fluently and without 'ze german accent' :cap_haloween: so voice comms are always possible.

(Oh btw. I have friends up in Ottawa, Ontario is a very nice place!)

Vor 13 Stunden, Verblonde sagte:

For most DDs, your first ten points will usually be: PT or PM (I like the latter; most seem to like the former), LS (pretty much universal), SE (almost universal), and CE (universal); after that, you can get a bit more variety. The ship comrade captain skill thing is worth a look as well as the wiki: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc especially for developing the later stages of your build.

My most common base build right now is PM, LS (aka life saver with how flimsy DD rudders and engines are), SI (I may respec to SE, it seems a better choice for higher tiers) and CE would be next. After that'd go for gun related skills like EM and BFT for Akatsuki especially, or of course going for a standard torp build with TAE for most IJNs. For when I get to Akizuki some day, sheis best equipped with DE and IFHE, I understand?

Vor 14 Stunden, Verblonde sagte:

That reminds me: if you haven't already, remember to customise your mini-map for each ship (hold down ctrl and click the cogwheels top right of the mini-map) - for your DDs, especially, the air detection radius is worth showing, as well as things like hydro range (when you get it).

Speaking of matters relating to stealth: for most DDs, if your AA has a range longer than your air detectability range, remember to toggle it off most of the time (hit p), [...]

Yes, already done that!

Yeah, I keep the AA guns disabled mostly and only activate them if a) I'm detected anyway or b) a friendly nearby is the target of a plane attack and I gan get away with firing on those planes without giving away my location / becoming visible to ships with LoS. It's not much with crap AA but if I can assist a friendly I will.

Vor 13 Stunden, invicta2012 sagte:

My advice? Stop levelling and play Fubuki until it's second nature. Learn to put your torpedoes where an aggressive enemy will be. [...]

And yes, do go back and play some low Tier DDs. V-25 is a classic, with its jousting torpedoes and Medea - like most of the low Tier RN DDs - is an absolute beast. Play those ships until you see why they're so good. 

I'll give that a go. Somehow, of the Tier VI sisters, Hatsuharu clicked more with me with her better maneuverability, but Buki is still a solid ship especially with the three tripple launchers.

Also, V-25 is a blast. The torp configuration is great and you can chug out fishes in almost any direction, sneaking up with those concealment values is easy and she's got good guns for offensive and defensive work. Good allround DD! I'll definitely play her some more.

Players
21 posts
4,685 battles

In 50% occosions winner of battle is known in first 5 min, so I guess for higher win rate it is really important what you do in that time or you can forget on WR higher then 50% even if you individually do a good damage.

Thing is, every ship is good and you can get a big damage and krakens on any ship even if you losing so hard but for win rate things work different. In most of tied games a great damage is nothing compared to distracting, wasting enemys bullets and luring group of ships in wrong place on map.

But all that depends of matching ship role with your mentality - playing for fun or serious mode. Only by doing this it is really hard to have a lower win rate which happens only because players forcing ship that has a more serious role then just farming damage or caping but they like that ship and they are blind to see it so they blaming the team and bad luck.

For example a good radar cruiser like DM, Salem even Moskva have the fastest influence on win rate. Actions of those players will mostly determine the winner in that first 5 min so for higher tier if you are not so sure in yourself or you playing for fun and you want higher win rate it is better to not play these ships or force cap as destroyer because in more then 50% battles you will simply face off against more skilled radar cruisers or destroyers who playing game for serious.

There are many ships in game who are suitable for those who playing just for fun and on which you will do their role even just by being detected. Great example is destroyer Khabarovsk with full cruiser build on which even if you are the most unserious player in the world you will do a great job by distracting and making everyone to waste bullets on you for few minutes while those more serious players in your team will get more freedom which is great + for high win rate over 55% but often is risky for your individual score. In other hand playing Khabarovks safe and serious will simply lead to a lower win rate while you will maybe do a great damage and often blame the team for loss. It is nothing different with other ships as well. Different modules, upgrades and commander skills can completely transform ship too so for someone new in game i guess it is normal to offten play on stock ships with lower win rate.

I'm not the biggest fan of destroyers but in my opinion for random fights just spoting is far more greater + for higher win rate then forcing all 3 caps for more exp like greedy maniacs. Lost caps offten can push campers to engage more. I mean, it simply does not work to try hard if rest of team simply watching and farming damage for those emblems or whatever. Personally, as battleship and cruiser fan there is nothing worse for the team then a one or two dead destroyers in first 3-4 min of play.

I tryed already few tier 10 ships and you simply can't blame the bad luck or teams if you clearly see that one same person has 10% or more difference in win rate on two different ships and their avarage damage and exp is almost the same. So it is for sure, if win rate on some ship is under 48-49% then you clearly doing something wrong and you have to discover the right ship for you. Ironically, usually it happens to be that one which you hate the most xD

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles
15 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

play Fubuki until it's second nature

There is a lot to be said for this - Fubuki is glorious. My Asashio captain is assigned to her, and works really well - even with the shorter range on the torps (with TA - one of my later captain skill picks), you can still stealth torp, and the extra speed makes them a bugger(ish) to evade.

• Cool 1

Players
1,271 posts
3,476 battles
On 11/14/2018 at 8:26 PM, Verblonde said:

in a pinch though, the coal ship Yubari (despite being a cruiser) works surprisingly well with a DD captain.

I can second this. Although you do need experience to really make her shine, and trying to play her as a torp boat is...:Smile_facepalm:

Also, fair warning: the lower tier your premium ship is, the worse she is for generally training captains. This is because your experience payouts (and thus your captain XP) will be a lot lower than something higher-tier. Which is one of the main reasons why Asashio is such a major thorn in my side, but let's not go there.

12 hours ago, FerrowTheFox said:

My most common base build right now is PM, LS (aka life saver with how flimsy DD rudders and engines are), SI (I may respec to SE, it seems a better choice for higher tiers) and CE would be next. After that'd go for gun related skills like EM and BFT for Akatsuki especially, or of course going for a standard torp build with TAE for most IJNs. For when I get to Akizuki some day, sheis best equipped with DE and IFHE, I understand?

Here are my three main IJN DD builds:

Spoiler

Shimakaze:

shot-18_11.16_01_17.02-0796.thumb.jpg.f835246f55948068b7eeb243bef021d9.jpg

First run:

PT, LS, SE, CE.

Second run:

AR (the reload boost includes torpedoes), TAE, RL (the ability to see where the closest ship to you is is indispensible when it comes to avoiding enemy DDs, also helps in torpedoing smokescreens).

I find PT more useful than PM overall, because you will be surprised to have times when no-one is targeting you when you are spotted. It can really save you the wasted effort of trying to run away or, worse, the wasted use of a smoke screen. Also, the T9/10 Torpedo Tubes Reload modification actually increases your chance of having your tubes knocked out to such an extent as to render PM moot.

Harekaze/Akizuki (this is my 'Ranked Battles' set-up, note I have Harekaze set up with the Akizuki guns):

shot-18_11.16_01_17.31-0280.thumb.jpg.9c65ebafeaf099f47a04f6342f7dcdb4.jpg

First run:

(same as above)

Second run:

IFHE, RL, PM (I only had one skill point left, and this one made more sense than IFA)

I should probably note that I have not touched this build since the Akizuki 100mm gun buff. I might try changing this one, seeing as I no longer need the IFHE buff to pen DD armour...

This one is the 'DD hunter/killer' set up. It worked quite well and was always useful. These days the IFHE is only so you can pen armour of up to 32mm, which constitues a fair amount of BB superstructure armour. Feels like the only reason I have to keep the IFHE is just for random battles...

If I were to respec Akeno now, I would probably drop IFHE, reclaim the point from PM and spend the five recovered points on AR and either TAE (for a generalist build) or DE (for burninating).

Harugumo:

shot-18_11.16_01_20.00-0134.thumb.jpg.6080f1b823f3ac054089a7cc8631d98e.jpg

First run:

(same again)

Second run:

AR (for more dakka), BFT (for more dakka), IFHE (for more pen)

An experiment where I dropped RL for more dakka. More dakka works wonders.

The Akizuki 100mm guns have a base reload of 3s. With AFT this drops to 2.7s, with AR if you lose 50% of your HP it drops to 2.4s and to cap it all off the T9/10 Main Gun Reload modification drops it to 2.1s. That is almost a third better reload. At 50% HP or less, my harugumo does not pause firing when the fifth turret fires. Any DD that gets into knife fight range gets melted, and BB superstructure just crumbles.

But, having said that, Harugumo is as fat as two whales sewn together and about as clumsy to sail.

You should note that not once do I use SI. Honestly, SI is better reserved for ships with lots of consumables (such as most cruisers, or Daring).

DE you could argue would be good for the gunboats such as Akizuki and Harugumo, but I question what you would give up in order to have that skill - baring in mind it costs 3sp. I am using DE on my USN DDs, but that's mostly because they do not make heavy use of IFHE to pen their targets...

Thinking about 19-point commanders, it's probably worth spending any free XP you have saved up to get one captain up to 19points as quickly as possible. Once you have one up to 19, that commander will start generating 'elite captain XP' that you can save up separate from your fXP and spend on future captains - to quickly get them up to 10points, for example.

• Cool 3