Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
iJoby

WoWs (Crysantos) Statement "Anniversary of the First Battle" Gifts

11 comments in this topic

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,150 posts
29,638 battles

I received 45 camos and a 30% discount coupon. thanks. :)
1564332225_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_11.10-11_51_01_78.png.ce6ce6a64807d2cfc6087e0e04fd1fc7.png

• Cool 12

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,125 posts
14,348 battles

I know it's a minor point but WG assumes that all WoWS players are male?

"From now on, every player will receive greetings every year on the day of his first Battle."

should be

"From now on, every player will receive greetings every year on the day of their first Battle."

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
24 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

"From now on, every player will receive greetings every year on the day of his first Battle."

should be

"From now on, every player will receive greetings every year on the day of their first Battle."

Unlike English, lots of european languages (and also russian) are gendered, and the "male" (actually serving as sort of a gender-neutral term, but whatever) "his" often seems to be used as the default unless it's known that you're speaking about a female.

So it doesn't have to be any "assumption" or "translation error", it may very well be how he has talked throughout his life and simply coming automatically

• Cool 2

[BAD-A]
Players
644 posts
9,368 battles

Also even in English the male pronoun can be used quite naturally to apply to females - frequent in legal documentation.  Just usually add a note to that effect for avoidance of doubt.  Just like "man" can be gender neutral as the short form of "mankind".

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles

I know this was also posted on the extremely well hidden and never viewed "News and Announcements" section on here too. Something they might consider looking into is merging the Gameplay section (which has the vast majority of views) and the News as Stickies or similar.

• Cool 1

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,150 posts
29,638 battles

@IanH755

I did the usual search on all topics, nothing came up. My bad :cap_tea:

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles

No probs, it's a WG issue where they "hide" news in a section that no-one really uses and its frustrating that they won't give it more visibility!

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
20 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

should be

Arguably (and slightly bizarrely) in English the word his can be gender neutral, it's a slightly archaic form, it's only the SJW types that got their underwear in a twist over perceived slights to their not being "included", when they saw it as male centric that has changed the attitude to the word. It's a bit of a shame that some people (not suggesting you) have made a pastime of taking offence at pronouns.

That being said I had a fairly classical education so I'm also anachronistic :cap_fainting:

Also @wilkatis_LV is entirely correct!

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
9,034 battles
20 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

should be

Love to see the profesionally butthurt looking for reasons to be, well, butthurt...

• Funny 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,783 posts
6,795 battles
7 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Arguably (and slightly bizarrely) in English the word his can be gender neutral, it's a slightly archaic form, it's only the SJW types that got their underwear in a twist over perceived slights to their not being "included", when they saw it as male centric that has changed the attitude to the word.

Singular "they" is actually an older use than generic "he". The former dates back to the 14th century, the latter is documented from the 18th.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
Just now, Uglesett said:

Singular "they" is actually an older use than generic "he". The former dates back to the 14th century, the latter is documented from the 18th.

I didn't want to complicate the matter, English being a mongrel language that has stolen (shamelessly) from many languages is full of oddities, it used to be highly gendered and dropped it almost entirely, but that's a subject for a totally different forum.

Sign in to follow this