You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kutfroat

T8 Matchmaking...

57 comments in this topic

[21DCS]
Beta Tester
283 posts

...is a joke. I played my Bismarck tonight for 3 games. All 3 games were pure T10 with only 1 T8 per team. What are the statistical chances for this to happen 3 times IN A ROW? In a supposedly random matchmaking enviroment?

I got 2 T8 premiums, Kidd and Kutozov, but rarely play them because of this. I´m at a point where I think it´s intentional to "stealth" nerf the income of T8 ships (especially the premiums). So instead of being credit printers what they are meant to be, they most of the time dont perform because of "rigged" matchmaking. And if you think this is too hard to code...that´s just naive.

I was really looking forward to the Wichita, but beside the pre release nerfs (concealment AND if i´m not mistaken it lost the American heavy AP Shells....the one thing defining the whole U.S. heavy cruiser line, instead of just taking radar from it), the T8 matchmaking greatly reduces it´s profit gaining  capability to a point, where it becomes ridiculous.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

and we clearly needed two threads on the same day with the exact same title to tell us that, because it's never been noticed before... :fish_palm:

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,862 posts
9,044 battles
10 minutes ago, Kutfroat said:

What are the statistical chances for this to happen 3 times IN A ROW? In a supposedly random matchmaking enviroment?

Do you even understand what random means?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,220 posts
17,627 battles
14 minutes ago, Kutfroat said:

...is a joke. I played my Bismarck tonight for 3 games. All 3 games were pure T10 with only 1 T8 per team. What are the statistical chances for this to happen 3 times IN A ROW? In a supposedly random matchmaking enviroment?

Have you been playing Ranked battles? Unfortunately this will affect your MM and if you've hit Rank 1 in the Ranked Sprint events you will probably find yourself being lowtier more often in Random battles than beforehand.  Pick your ships for Random accordingly.

• Boring 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

On the one hand, I understand people bitching about T8 vs T10.

On the other hand, I just sold my New York after battles against KGV, Lyon and Gneisenau and started playing New Mexico against T8s. And I know that T5 and 6 MM was like this for way longer. Compared to that, I'm looking forward when I only have to play NC vs Montanas.

But I guess noone gives a damn about mid tiers.

• Cool 2

Players
3,428 posts
17,122 battles
On 11/6/2018 at 11:38 PM, Riselotte said:

On the other hand, I just sold my New York after battles against KGV, Lyon and Gneisenau and started playing New Mexico against T8s.

I don't suppose we will ever know how many players found themselves in the situation that you describe and:

a) Just gritted their teeth and played through it to get to the Promised Land of Tier 7, and

b) edit*

I started in September 2015 and didn't face these obstacles.  If I started now I would not want to face them.

• Cool 1

Players
2,369 posts

I play T8 against T10.. I believe you just have to play differently sometimes to the way you play in straight T8 v T8 matches.

A T8 BB cannot outclass a T10 BB in a 1v1 battle unless, for example Tirpitz, you get a torpedo salvo to fully hit home or the T10 player has no idea how to play.

From my experience a T8 BB should ally himself to a T9 or T10 BB and support that BB. That is the way I play my Richelieu, Tirptiz and Bismarck if I am placed in a T10 game...

My DD's Benson, Kidd, Kagero, Cossack and Lightning can usually hold their own if they are played well and will happily kill T10 ships without much difficulty.. I don't have the T8 Russian yet and found the Z-23 hard work so was glad to get to the Z-46.

It was amazing to watch a Lightning, not mine, in one game kill two Khaba's and a Montana which is no mean feat and survive the game..

I would say rather than complaining about MM try different play styles because there is always a way to play T8 in T10 matches.

• Cool 3

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

I don't suppose we will ever know how many players found themselves in the situation that you describe and:

a) Just gritted their teeth and played through it to get to the Promised Land of Tier 7, and

b) Said "F*** This" and quit the game.

I started in September 2015 and didn't face these obstacles.  If I started now I would not want to face them.

Promised land of Colorado? Yeah, lol. My clan mates say it's good, but they also called NM good. Don't see why you'd play this ship over Fuso, but hey. It's T6, got 12 guns, gotta at least be useful for something and Colorado at least gets 16 inch guns to overmatch same tier BB and doesn't have over 30 seconds reload. And hey, I could be a T5 cruiser...

And I play a lot of Gneisenau, I know how easy USN BB become free kills to a veteran Gneisenau with sec spec.

Players
2,369 posts
3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

And I play a lot of Gneisenau, I know how easy USN BB become free kills to a veteran Gneisenau with sec spec.

I have Gneisenhau and Scharnhorst played right they are lethal..

• Cool 1

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,631 posts
13,443 battles
3 hours ago, principat121 said:

I think you don't understand it

Given that theoretically T8 ships see the t6-10 spectrum I would barely label the term "random" on what matchmaking they actually see. There's nothing random about it. Depending on the moment of day (and even then...) you'll be uptiered 60-75% of the time.

4 hours ago, Kutfroat said:

I got 2 T8 premiums, Kidd and Kutozov,

I never liked Kidd, but don't give up on Kutz. It could easily be a tier 9 ship, and she handles the matchmaking quite good cause range, smoke and decent armour (compared to chappy mainly). You earn more credits (and xp, right?) if uptiered.

Although, since WG gave that mission 5 months ago "be the most useless DD ever and win free tickets to gulag museum", you might want to make sure you have someone divving up with you to be certain of spotting.

If you have the missouri for printing credits, you could abandon her I guess.

• Cool 3

[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
733 posts
12,690 battles

What is even more surprising I have seen lately outstanding Mogami players. Just yesterday, he took on himself Minotaur and Cleveland, that have been supported by Zao and Worcester. He not only helped me (in Gearing) with Harugumo, sink the Mino, but kept them away. Worcester was bad at aiming so he did survive. Makes me wonder if such people are complaining about MM too, or just do their best?

I personally do not care about MM, as I am just bad player, so I check who has radar and that basically that.

But I am in favor of keeping T10 only for up to 3minutes in que, then add T9 to it for another 2 minutes and include T8 if 5 minutes in que.

P.S. I should probably start a thread "What is going on with Mogami players" ;)

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
7,010 posts

While i sympathise kidd and kutzu are really not that much out of place in a t10 one essentally beeing fletcher and other design wise a ship from 50-s that usally populate t10 anyways...

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,519 posts
9,533 battles

Oh no.....whole 3 games? How could that be? Time to put you top tier for the next 15 games in a row to offset WG rigging matches

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,655 battles
Alle 6/11/2018 alle 23:25, principat121 ha scritto:

To be fair, if you are constantly in the same position (bottom tier) it can hardly be called random. More like certain, right?

Alle 7/11/2018 alle 03:02, Riselotte ha scritto:

Is that so? If the two captains are equally skilled, your statement is false. Why would I let you close to secondary range in any reasonable amount of time?
If you're talking about veteran player munching on a new player, well, of course.

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
15,852 battles

First it is random. 

Second damaging higher tier ships is more rewarding credit and exp wise. 

BBs and DDs have far easier times than CAs/CLs while in higher Tier game. 

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,862 posts
9,044 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

To be fair, if you are constantly in the same position (bottom tier) it can hardly be called random. More like certain, right?

random.thumb.gif.eb89bc59c0b1140d7a14a154382eb224.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

Players
10,197 posts
11,986 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

With proliferation of tier 10, with all the premium paints, Legendary modules to grind and whatnot one can't expect to play T8 as top tier. 

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,655 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

With proliferation of tier 10, with all the premium paints, Legendary modules to grind and whatnot one can't expect to play T8 as top tier. 

Yes, that is a good point.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 hours ago, Blixies said:

Is that so? If the two captains are equally skilled, your statement is false. Why would I let you close to secondary range in any reasonable amount of time?
If you're talking about veteran player munching on a new player, well, of course.

Frankly, while it's more a veteran vs potato issue, even if you are a good player, on equal skill anything up to Colorado is basically hard-pressed to squeeze a win out of an encounter with a Gneisenau that has an idea what it is doing. NC and up win. But you can be skilled as much as you want in the ships below that, Gneisenau doing almost 50% more speed (32 knots vs 21) the moment there's no obstacle inbetween, you have no choice but to fight it. And you might argue about effective torp range, given if you steam away, dodging incoming Gneisenau torps isn't hard, but as soon as you are below 8 km, those secondaries start raking you and they rip through your USN armour scheme with no issues. Add to that that only Colorado can harm Gneisenau if it can snipe the upper bow (lower bow is 70 mm of FU, deck is 50 mm of lolnope and barbette is 45 mm of autobounce) and all other 21 knot dreadnoughts can only overpen the superstructure or fire HE, while Gneisenau can just overmatch your entire stern, barbette and deck, potentially citadelling you through the stern at such ranges.

Players
7,232 posts
245 battles

hmm makes me wonder how my games will go when i get my first tier 8 the charles martel.

try the pain of being in a mostly tier 9 match in an algerie or tier 8 la galissionaire. i guess i can island hump moar though.

[JRM]
Players
7,010 posts

CM doesnt need islands that much, put double rudder modules on it and buy youself an engine boost mod for coal in arsenal, load up with prem dcp, mbrb and engine boost and some speed flags and farm the salt

Players
10,197 posts
11,986 battles
24 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

hmm makes me wonder how my games will go when i get my first tier 8 the charles martel.

try the pain of being in a mostly tier 9 match in an algerie or tier 8 la galissionaire. i guess i can island hump moar though.

CM is one of the few T8 ships I can think of which can live and thrive in T10 MM. Just slap Engine Boost mod and double rudder and channel your inner Kebab onto your enemies. Possible as CM have both workable base top speed and gets proper FR Engine Boost, giving 20% bonus. So you get cruiser capable of 40kts and hard WSAD haxes.

• Cool 1

Players
7,232 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

CM is one of the few T8 ships I can think of which can live and thrive in T10 MM. Just slap Engine Boost mod and double rudder and channel your inner Kebab onto your enemies

ok thats good to know because i don't really want to end up useless when i first arrive in tier 8.

Players
10,197 posts
11,986 battles
Just now, CptBarney said:

ok thats good to know because i don't really want to end up useless when i first arrive in tier 8.

Just don't overtake friendly DDs on initial cap rush:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

Players
930 posts
9,011 battles
18 hours ago, Panocek said:

Just don't overtake friendly DDs on initial cap rush:Smile-_tongue:

Oi! Thats my sekrit strat! Rush and torp enemy DDs and then just blast the rest...