Sign in to follow this  
Ferry_25

Ognevoi

10 comments in this topic

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Tried the search but no real answer for me. The ubernoob is asking your advice yet again. Haven't touched the Russian DD's after the split until 2 months ago. Finished the Khaba line and now I'm grinding Ognevoi. =me =/= ship disclaimer. Now I can't make it to function. Those 2 turrets in an awkward position makes me the absolute laughing stock in knife fights. Even from my standards. Took advice and changed back to the stock hull to spam torps. Also no succes. Tried AP on BS ships but also not particularly good. Khaba gunboat tactics? Nah, the sailors just won't row fast enough for that. The only thing I found I can be of somewhat-ish use is only to scout and by all means do nothing else. But that's getting old pretty quickly. I want to do something more.
Now I know I can't win every match. Nor expecting an overall everlasting tactic/ play style which grants me a Kraken in the worst games. But I have a nagging feeling I'm missing something on this ship. So my polite question is: could you help me out with advice? I'm being too proud to free xp to Udaloi. As always very grateful for your advice.

Build:

(only deto and economical flags, cause I don't want to waste flags in my horror performance anymore (actually seriously considering removing deto flag as well as an act of mercy...))

Clipboard02.jpg.fb70c76d196541a1984a09218286eab5.jpgClipboard01.thumb.jpg.16f7b2d76eb0c980238caf0014405226.jpg

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,640 posts
20,515 battles

First, Znamensky is wasted on the line. Neither Udaloi nor Grozovoi will properly make use of his special skills.

Second, if you are serious about using this captain up the line, then you need to shuffle the skills. Drop TAE and RPF, pick SE and AFT. You will need SI on the Grozo too, so you might want to prioritize that over SE at first. Unless you want to play Grozo like an inferior Khaba, then you need completely different skills.

Third and most important. Ognevoi is the worst silver ship at T8. Its main armament is lacking in every category. You not having great games in it is not because of some inability to understand the ship, but because the ship is bad.

Here's what you can do to make the ship workable:

-Replace the DCSM 1 with Propulsion Mod 1.

-Make full use of your smoke and long range on the guns. If you pick SI as skill instead of SE, you will have 4 smokes. This will allow you to pew pew from over 14km and with 8% fire chance you're bound to grill someone.

-Don't be afraid to put a Sierra Mike signal on the ship and replace speed boost with def AA. 39kn are enough for a ship that isn't gunboating in the open and some extra AA defense helps.

-Use the concealment to get closer to people before torping them. Shooting the slow torps from 10km is bound to fail.

• Cool 5

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Good point about the captain. I'm training Znamensky for the upcoming Russian BB line. Plan is to make captain transfers if I reach Grozovoi. The oven checker seems suitable for khaba.

Thanks for the advises.

[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
19 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Good point about the captain. I'm training Znamensky for the upcoming Russian BB line. Plan is to make captain transfers if I reach Grozovoi. The oven checker seems suitable for khaba.

Thanks for the advises.

I think Mr Hockey player is most suitable for non-high tier RU DDs since only DDs use SI and the high tier RU DDs have fast turning turrets. The Ognevoi and the Tashkent are the last ships or their respecive lines that use the slow turrets before upgrading their guns. The RU premium DDs have even slower turrets, so they're a prime choice for him. I'm having him for my Leningrad.

[ALYEN]
Players
1,654 posts
3,656 battles

forget about the guns unless you are fighting an IJN DD or a less than 50% HP DD ... put on the 2nd hull and play as a torp boat with 10 torps and decent stealth ....

also I don't think RPF that early is helping ... SE has higher priority ... Ognevoi has low health relatively speaking ....

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Played it more and I might, repeat might, have found some way to make it of some use. Still running the A hull for the torpedo spam abilities. I found out it seems to be a late-mid to late match ship. The RPF is helping me to locate nearby DD's and in the opening phase just scout and torpspam for a lucky shot or area denial. Depending on your team heavily you can join fights as the match progresses and the reds are too occupied with bigger problems. Smoke up allied cruisers whenever you can. Now I'm finally creeping up to the server ave in my stats and it feels like it's somewhat working. Getting very close to Udaloy now. A ship of which I heard rumors about Ognevoy being a top ace performing monster compared to that one. Oh boy.... Probably another "help me" whine thread inbound from me.

[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
On 11/16/2018 at 10:18 PM, Ferry_25 said:

Getting very close to Udaloy now. A ship of which I heard rumors about Ognevoy being a top ace performing monster compared to that one. Oh boy.... Probably another "help me" whine thread inbound from me.

The Udaloi is a bit special. Before the line split it was the odd one with actually useable concealment between the unstealthy Tashkent and Kebab. Now it's the odd one with questionable concealment between the competitively stealthy Ognevoi and Grozovoi. She also has an interesting torpedo layout with two side mounted tubes and one center mounted tube. This gives her very good forward angles good for knife fights and yoloing. And if you actually use all of them you have 15 torpedoes.

However, I haven't actually played her in a long while so I'm not sure how the current meta favors the different playstyles she offers.

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Suffered through Ognevoi now. Really what a PIA was that grind to me. I'm actually shocked to see my horrific stats, very well related to my game experience, aren't even that much worse than the server average. So a bit of a consolidation it wasn't 100% me but partly the ship. Trying to find a style for Udaloi now. Free XP-ed the upgrades. So far treating it as a hybrid. Absolutely no legendary stats or performance. But I only have 8 matches under my belt at the time of writing. First impression is I have the feeling of being able to do something again.

Sign in to follow this