Jump to content
MadBadDave

My Take on British (RN Cruisers)

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Like a lot of WOWS players I've grinded thru the RN Cruiser Tiers to T10, as I went up the tiers I looked at a lot of content online about the cruisers up the tier, I.e what Mod and Capt Skills to have etc.

 

Here's my own personal take;

 

Black swan a good starter, with good guns and maneuverability but personally at T1 I prefer the German Hermelin, less guns but longer range and able to take more punishment.

Weymouth and Caledon ; Didn't really like, weak guns high archs and swatted by better opponents.

Danae a big improvement, imho and the first ship to feel like it was on an even keel with other nationalities.

Emerald - Massively slated and slagged off, but if played right it is an improvement over the Danae.  Bad news' because it's armour is tin foil you will get targeted and deleted, a lot.

Leander - Widely praised and yes this is when British cruisers start to shine, it's a brilliant little ship that's underestimated but deadly.    Concealment 8.8 Km with mods and skills.

Fiji - Still got.   It's Easily the Best cruiser thus far in the RN line up, I've gone back down the Tier (Have my Level 17 Captain in it), and it's bossing games, initially I hated it; you will get instantly deleted if you show your broadside, get Concealment Expert and smoke up, and nothing will be able to touch you.  I'd say the Fiji is one of the BEST Tier <7 cruisers in the game.    Concealment 9.8km (Mod/skills).

Edinburgh - Another highly slated Ship, imho this is better than the Fiji, it's not as nimble (think of the fiji as a sports car with just the driver and the edinburgh as a slightly bigger sports car with passengers and luggage), it's got better heal, better torp range (stealth torp possible), and feels like a warship, I also like the ship horn, yeah sad I know.   Concealment 9km with Mods & Skills.  The biggest issue and why the Edinburgh is slated is Wargaming's match making; you will play against more T9& 10 opponents than you will T7 & 8, at those Tiers radar is widespread, guns are more accurate and powerful, destroyers can carpet torp and dying is common.

Neptune- A lot bigger, great torps, eats planes for fun, radar, fast firing and turning guns but very, very easy to one shot; e.g. I got into a great position behind an island, popped smoke and started engaging an hindenburg (T10 German cruiser), one salvo later I was dead.  Concealment is the worst of the T6-T10 cruisers.   I ditched the Neptune in favor of going back to the Fiji

Minotaur - Recently got, but well worth grinding thru the Tiers; it's smaller and lower than the Neptune, it's a  CV's worst nightmare, it can shred planes for breakfast, the concealment is great (stealth torp), and the guns a nightmare, not for sheer power but for speed, with mod's and skills you can send a constant stream of pain towards the enemy, I watched a Mino devastate a Yamato, downside; like every other RN Cruiser show too much side and you can be deleted in an instant

 

At times RN cruiser play is very frustrating, and challenging and you will get comments from supposed team mates who slate you, who have never played RN cruisers, you either have a great game and dominate the battlefield or you get instantly deleted without warning,  DD's who know how good RN cruisers are stay clear those that don't don't last long, Cruisers are fair game, and I'd be happy to put the T7 Fiji up against the T10 Hindenburg, that said higher tier opposing cruisers have far higher hit points (health) than lower tier battleships,  Battleships are my primary Target; slow, cumbersome and poor concealment; I crept up to  King George 5th battleship in my Edinburgh;  The KGV didn't last very long.  And I know as a BB driver how frustrating it is when a ship like the Fiji has you in it's sights, I was in a Warspite and got my butt kicked.

 

Rn cruisers are supposedly one of the toughest to play, "all or nothing" is a regular occurrence, some ships are more enjoyable to play than others, but sticking with the grind is worth it.

 

 

 

 

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Nice summary OP. Now I have been, let's say it euphemistic, criticizing RN cruisers a lot. This weekend I decided to give it an actual serious try myself. And to serve honesty I must admit full heartily Leander (which I won centuries ago in a contest, which I forgot then or what contest that was) has raised both eyebrows. I was wrong all along: those boats are a blast to play. Living on the raisor's edge!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
28 posts
17,707 battles

Just the finest line.

plan your attack,  slow to 15knts when spider senses alert you.

smoke up where you have a DD to spot or a BB close by.  (Pray he does not enter smoke as misses on him are calamity for you).

Rapid fire, and watch 30% shatter,  but you are having an effect.   Now enemy BB is closing.  Time to single shot 2 torps.

More rapid fire, then stop shoot at 5.9 Km. wait 20 secs and on hydro.  Next fire torps and reverse up altering angle so exit of smoke exposes him to other torps salvo.

Go !! If he strikes you,  it may be the end, but you know he is now flooding, as delay on torp shoot ...

none of the other ships have that narrative ! 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts

I still love my Fiji but the Neptune is a garbage fire. Such a downgrade compared to the Edi with its "visible from orbit" concealment and a citadel that begs to be hit.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
538 posts
3 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

I still love my Fiji but the Neptune is a garbage fire. Such a downgrade compared to the Edi with its "visible from orbit" concealment and a citadel that begs to be hit.

I'm struggling with Neptune too. The higher rate of fire is nice, but that seems to be the only thing it has over the Edinburgh. The AA is good, which would be nice if CV's were common enough to spec into it. That citadel is too thinly armoured, the only shells it will keep out are DD AP rounds (and even then the Soviet 130mm's are good enough to pen at close range. Daring will struggle however), and as you say it is very obvious. Also, teh guns don't have much more penetration over the Fiji or Edinburgh, so you see even more shatters against more heavily armoured targets. If you smoke, you better be far away else they will spot you due to a large smoke firing penalty. As you can tell, I'm not keen. Minotaur better be worth it after this.

 

But I have re-bought Leander so I can use her in Operations and the odd Random battle when I feel like it, she is rather fun and her guns are very effective at that T6. The belt armour actually works at some ranges, which is more than can be said for Neptune. May have to get her a permacamo, I quite like the look of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

I now have the Minotaur and Leander, for me Mino permanent camouflage is a must, yes it's expensive at 5000 dabs but in the long run that's a bargain, without the Camo, your 200k credits will disappear and you'll end up with a 39k deficit.    

 

The one thing a lot of people fail to mention when going thru the Tiers is cost, whilst grinding is one thing, having great personal games and yet losing because of useless, gutless and headless team mates is another, but above T6 those costs  (Consumables and servicing), quickly dissolve your credits, as do imho pointless upgrades and consumables (3 mil for one Mino ugrade/consumable).

 

IMHO the fiji is overpowered and overpraised I feel, one shot between the smoke stacks and it's game over, just like the Neptune, the English cruisers biggest disappointment, the Leander is a lot more fun and credits quickly stack up, and tally wise; Fiji's don't fair  well against me (I know where to hit), and my 8.80km detection range helps ;-).   

 

If it were available I would however get Belfast.

 

I'm now on Jap Battleships, up to Fuso.  And dabbled in Destroyers, but don't like them, probably because the Leander could be considered an over sized Destroyer.

 

So to sum up, Mino definitely worth the grind (no better feeling that shredding a Yamato), the Leander is the most fun, Neptune biggest disappointment, Emerald weakest (tin foil armour, dead easy to citadel and huge shell archs), most user friendly; Fiji, and most underestimated; Edinburgh, which in the 10 ship line up, is my 3rd Favourite (Leander 1, Mino 2, Edinburgh 3).  Bottom 3;  Neptune, Emerald & T2/T3.

 

One thing that also doesn't get mentioned a lot is Anti Air, the Mino and Neptune are monsters in this field but again the Leander does well, and can be equipped with a fighter, for those that don't know the following is important; the higher you go; the bigger cruisers get from other nations, e.g double the size of yours, you see less Aircraft Carriers, simply because T8-10 anti air eats planes for breakfast, Smoke also becomes a torpedo magnet, with T9 & 10 Destroyers laying stream after stream of torpedo's  if that wasn't bad enough Radar is widely used (I use it instead of smoke when playing my Mino, as a result I have a higher Win Rate using radar than smoke).

 

Do not rely on Smoke, and do use it as a decoy ;-).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAFT]
Players
1,097 posts
23,538 battles

Dave, 30% winrate is not that great :) but yeah radar mino can be fun, but sometimes too short lived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OGHF]
Players
1,161 posts
20,881 battles
On 11/5/2018 at 11:38 PM, Ferry_25 said:

Nice summary OP. Now I have been, let's say it euphemistic, criticizing RN cruisers a lot. This weekend I decided to give it an actual serious try myself. And to serve honesty I must admit full heartily Leander (which I won centuries ago in a contest, which I forgot then or what contest that was) has raised both eyebrows. I was wrong all along: those boats are a blast to play. Living on the raisor's edge!

Glad you have relented and have joined the Dark Side of RN CL’s Ferry, as you say Leander is a peach of a ship, allows you to make a few mistakes and get away with them, but be warned, once past leander, never fire before you smoke or get insta deleted, but as you say, your living a very situational raisor’s edge, but that is what gets my heart racing :Smile_playing:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
220 posts
9,471 battles

nice sum up. I got the Perth before I began on RN cruisers and hated it, maybe it was the tier but theres just something with that ship that doesnt work for me.

and then I quickly moved up through RN and got stuck at the Fiji and im even considering keeping it with premium camo, i just love that thing.

First off, the MM is really favorable as she still can perform decently in T9 but more often than not you will get even tier MM as theres a lot happening around T6/7/8 which is nice. 

and yeah, that thing shreds everything and I also think its wildly underestimated as a lot of ppl seem to try and play it like a US or German Cruiser which doesnt work.

 

Oddly enough most fijis I see have BAD concealment, ie no captain skills and camo so its always nice to let them come close and then smoke up and delete them. 

only issue I see with it is when going against T8&9 BBs as the damage output somewhat drops off if they dont show you broadside. 

 

Im still reluctant atm tough to get Edinburgh as the MM just shafts you at T8 so I might just free-xp it and skip altough from what i've seen from the Neptune it performs really bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,989 battles
On 11/26/2018 at 11:52 AM, bloodynicknames said:

nice sum up. I got the Perth before I began on RN cruisers and hated it, maybe it was the tier but theres just something with that ship that doesnt work for me.

and then I quickly moved up through RN and got stuck at the Fiji and im even considering keeping it with premium camo, i just love that thing.

First off, the MM is really favorable as she still can perform decently in T9 but more often than not you will get even tier MM as theres a lot happening around T6/7/8 which is nice. 

and yeah, that thing shreds everything and I also think its wildly underestimated as a lot of ppl seem to try and play it like a US or German Cruiser which doesnt work.

 

Oddly enough most fijis I see have BAD concealment, ie no captain skills and camo so its always nice to let them come close and then smoke up and delete them. 

only issue I see with it is when going against T8&9 BBs as the damage output somewhat drops off if they dont show you broadside. 

 

Im still reluctant atm tough to get Edinburgh as the MM just shafts you at T8 so I might just free-xp it and skip altough from what i've seen from the Neptune it performs really bad. 

Perth is just different. It's good, not quite Leander good, but good all the same. The creeping smoke gimmick works if you can figure out how to use it. I think of her as a tier 6 Belfast; against clueless or inexperienced players she's very strong.

 

Fiji is amazing, I loved that grind and bought the prem camo, trained a captain for her etc.

 

Edinburgh suffers from matchmaking and from being slightly bigger and slower than Fiji, but still a good ship. *edited*. Minotaur is the grind reward.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
75 posts
3,062 battles

I avoided this line despite because of the lack of HE for so long.

What a mistake to make.

Since I got the hang of it this has far been my favorite line with the Russian cruisers coming in second. I am not an elite player by any means but the Fiji got me 2 Krakens in a week.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
538 posts
8 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Edinburgh suffers from matchmaking and from being slightly bigger and slower than Fiji, but still a good ship. Neptune is sh*te, I couldn't get on with her at all. Minotaur is the grind reward.

You just have to position a bit more carefully, and watch for torpedoes when you smoke up. It's 10km torpedoes are very nice, you can stealth torp if you need to. Also good for torping smoke screens, so you don't have to get too close. Other than the rate of fire and AA, it almost feels as good as Neptune, as you actually have armour around the citadel (and it is lower too). Not saying the ship is tanky, but 114mm beats 102mm of high citadel any day of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
853 posts
907 battles

My take on RN Cruisers is I don't want to ruffle a single Feather in this particular thread.

I'm sure there's more inherent potential for discussion here than on any other Cruiser nationality.

 The RN Cruiser line(s) are/will be Iconic.

 I'm glad they are here & WoWS (probably) needs more of them.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1 post

Havent played this game for a while as a wee bit pissed off that the games have called the RN class of ship Black Swan a fekkin cruiser. If you want a game to be accurate to some degree then at least have the right ships for class. The Black Swan class of ship was a sloop, designed for convoy escort duties, hence their armament and speed etc. Being an ex RN rating plus having an interest in WWII these sort of inaccuracies rankle me  and whyy arent there that many British ships, we certainly had the biggest of Navy during WWI and at the start of WWII, yet you hardly see any British ships available? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,270 posts
On 12/1/2018 at 12:52 AM, Mr_Tayto said:

Edinburgh suffers from matchmaking and from being slightly bigger and slower than Fiji, but still a good ship. *edited*. Minotaur is the grind reward.

The Edinburgh felt well out its depth at T8. After playing the Fiji at T7, which isn't a bad cruiser at all for its tier class. The Edinburgh feels like taking 10 steps backwards playing it at T8. From that ship onwards it should get HE shells to fire also, as the AP only choice with it seems "far less effective" at T8 playing the Edinburgh, than it did playing the Fifi at T7. And keep in mind the Edinburgh gets lumped in T9/10 matches with only AP shells trying to pen much stronger armour as a cruiser with no HE to shoot.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,270 posts
On 12/1/2018 at 12:52 AM, Mr_Tayto said:

Fiji is amazing, I loved that grind and bought the prem camo

I also ended up buying the prem camo for the Fiji. It's a good cruiser for its tier 7 class and can do damage and make credits with the perma camo used to save on cost.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,447 posts
16,065 battles
On 2/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, MacTheSnake said:

Havent played this game for a while as a wee bit pissed off that the games have called the RN class of ship Black Swan a fekkin cruiser. If you want a game to be accurate to some degree then at least have the right ships for class. The Black Swan class of ship was a sloop, designed for convoy escort duties, hence their armament and speed etc. Being an ex RN rating plus having an interest in WWII these sort of inaccuracies rankle me  and whyy arent there that many British ships, we certainly had the biggest of Navy during WWI and at the start of WWII, yet you hardly see any British ships available? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

To be fair, the Tier 1 of all nations are not really cruisers. The Black Swan was at one point the best of the Tier 1 ships as she had AP shells, since removed. The RN line is not bad now - I have 37 RN ships and there are a fair more British ships scattered around the game - I think I have counted another 7 in my port and that is not counting the Mikasa - built in Barrow or the Albany - built on the Tyne. The upcoming carriers are promising to be good if that line floats your boat and the Exeter looks as if it will be a mini Belfast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,346 posts
9,213 battles
22 hours ago, triumphgt6 said:

To be fair, the Tier 1 of all nations are not really cruisers. The Black Swan was at one point the best of the Tier 1 ships as she had AP shells, since removed. The RN line is not bad now - I have 37 RN ships and there are a fair more British ships scattered around the game - I think I have counted another 7 in my port and that is not counting the Mikasa - built in Barrow or the Albany - built on the Tyne. The upcoming carriers are promising to be good if that line floats your boat and the Exeter looks as if it will be a mini Belfast!

Exeter is not a mini-Belfast and more of a British Furutaka after latest (much-needed) balance changes.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,447 posts
16,065 battles
42 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

Exeter is not a mini-Belfast and more of a British Furutaka after latest (much-needed) balance changes.

Shame!! :Smile_veryhappy:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,152 posts
13,719 battles

After briefly testing Mino on PTS I decided that it is finally the time to try British CLs.  What a blast it is! T5 was already good, Leander is great but Fiji is even better! It was worth to wait because a year ago I would suck badly in them and quit in frustration probably but now I enjoy the ride immensely. Not the easiest line to play but so much fun in living on the edge supporting DDs and melting CCs and BBs (unless 2 tiers higher bow on BBs, then only hope in torps or escape). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
1,570 posts
21,008 battles
20 hours ago, DariusJacek said:

T5 was already good,

The Emerald ? Seriously ?

(Then again i kinda liked the old Pepsi so talk about being a weirdo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,152 posts
13,719 battles
4 godziny temu, rnat napisał:

The Emerald ? Seriously ?

(Then again i kinda liked the old Pepsi so talk about being a weirdo)

It worked for me in this 8 only battles needed to grind it and I enjoyed it a lot.  I am not used to purple stats either as you can see from the rest of my T5 CL potatoing. To be fair I was a seal-clubbed hard by almost everyone when played most of them, then it was my turn for seal-clubbing with Emerald, it felt even dirty sometimes.

Untitled-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,651 battles
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:51 PM, MacTheSnake said:

Havent played this game for a while as a wee bit pissed off that the games have called the RN class of ship Black Swan a fekkin cruiser. If you want a game to be accurate to some degree then at least have the right ships for class. The Black Swan class of ship was a sloop, designed for convoy escort duties, hence their armament and speed etc. Being an ex RN rating plus having an interest in WWII these sort of inaccuracies rankle me  and whyy arent there that many British ships, we certainly had the biggest of Navy during WWI and at the start of WWII, yet you hardly see any British ships available? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I agree that it got my goat. She is an escort, technically classed as a Sloop as you say.

Today she would be seen as a Frigate, yes maybe a small one, but more than a Patrol Boat.

Yet she was designed for independent operation, such as the deployment of HMS Amethyst to the Yankse.

This independence of operation actually puts her into the much older definition of Cruiser from the age of sail. Yes splitting hairs.

However look at all the other ships at Tier 1, they are mostly, if not all, patrol boats and escorts. None are cruisers by the 20th Century definition.

 

Personally I am more concerned about over fallacies that are being passed off as history within World of Warships to get riled up over is Black Swan a Cruiser.

 

If I was going to get riled up over Black Swan, then it would be over how her 4" guns are not configured in game as Dual Purpose. She was specialize in AA and AS warfare. Yet 'apparently' her AA isn't worth ..., (choose your nautical word!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,989 battles
1 hour ago, Cambera_1 said:

I agree that it got my goat. She is an escort, technically classed as a Sloop as you say.

Today she would be seen as a Frigate, yes maybe a small one, but more than a Patrol Boat.

Yet she was designed for independent operation, such as the deployment of HMS Amethyst to the Yankse.

This independence of operation actually puts her into the much older definition of Cruiser from the age of sail. Yes splitting hairs.

However look at all the other ships at Tier 1, they are mostly, if not all, patrol boats and escorts. None are cruisers by the 20th Century definition.

 

Personally I am more concerned about over fallacies that are being passed off as history within World of Warships to get riled up over is Black Swan a Cruiser.

 

If I was going to get riled up over Black Swan, then it would be over how her 4" guns are not configured in game as Dual Purpose. She was specialize in AA and AS warfare. Yet 'apparently' her AA isn't worth ..., (choose your nautical word!)

 

As a tier 1 you never ever see a plane though, so I guess they thought it wasn't necessary.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,346 posts
9,213 battles
On 2/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, DariusJacek said:

After briefly testing Mino on PTS I decided that it is finally the time to try British CLs.  What a blast it is! T5 was already good, Leander is great but Fiji is even better! It was worth to wait because a year ago I would suck badly in them and quit in frustration probably but now I enjoy the ride immensely. Not the easiest line to play but so much fun in living on the edge supporting DDs and melting CCs and BBs (unless 2 tiers higher bow on BBs, then only hope in torps or escape). 

Edinburgh is fun, when you can decide whether to pick smoke or radar. I really enjoyed it more than Fiji.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:32 AM, Mr_Tayto said:

As a tier 1 you never ever see a plane though, so I guess they thought it wasn't necessary.

Hermelin has DP guns though, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×