rowns

Looking for an tier 10 cruiser

16 comments in this topic

Weekend Tester
22 posts
3,680 battles

Hi all,

I am looking for an ship that can do a lot of dmg with a single salvo when played right. I have the Molotov, which is one of my most liked ships in the game and I am looking for a ship like that. I do understand that those 4 tiers difference might be a huge different type of gameplay and that there might not be an ship like that. I looked at a few ships in the tech tree, and maybe the Moskva would be an good choice?

Players
8,399 posts
9,218 battles

Stalingrad.

Other than that, pretty much all T10 cruisers dish out a lot of hurt if they get a salvo full of citadels. Moskva has the ballistics to do it at range, else Zao and Hindenburg work too against broadsides at range, Henri can be pretty brutal due to large caliber and main battery reload booster. Des Moines has lazy arcs, but good pen and improved penetration angles, Minotaur and Worcester are only going to citpen most other cruisers at close range.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,369 posts
9,371 battles

I'd say the zao. That HE is glorious

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
11,288 battles

Henry 4, when you start citpenning yamatoes at 12 kms and other cruisers at any range and start seeing 20-25k salvo, while buzzing at 45 knots it feels so good, throw in a poor mino/neptune that you nuke because he can't  angle against you into the mix and you are in. For everything else, 25% fire/shell he salvo  can do wonders against angled enemies

• Cool 1

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,878 battles
On 11/4/2018 at 3:59 PM, rowns said:

Hi all,

I am looking for an ship that can do a lot of dmg with a single salvo when played right. I have the Molotov, which is one of my most liked ships in the game and I am looking for a ship like that. I do understand that those 4 tiers difference might be a huge different type of gameplay and that there might not be an ship like that. I looked at a few ships in the tech tree, and maybe the Moskva would be an good choice?

First: Most of T10 ships are excellent!! (except Moskva..that is not good, turning circle is IMMENSE, HUGHE citadel, cannot be missed)....secondly: my personal as solo random-player (mostly)...Henri IV is the very best! Speed!...240mm guns!!!!....shells arcs + velocity (AP= simply deadly!...excellent penetration!)...such a great ship to have as a T10!!!...I KNOW...I experienced it already. So my choice Henri IV! (even the legendary upgrade is very, very, interesting!). Speed/entertaininment/FUN & lots of hits & fire-settings (don't enemy better not make the mistake to try to "mess around" with Henri IV..enemy, they get F^%CK^D! harshly)...Henri plays kind of BIG Khabarovsk...very dangerous ship!

But then again, that is my personal opnion about cruisers T10, meaning: if ya wanna go bit more stationary stealth very heavy puncher, then you should go for Des Moines (very dangerous ship...very deadly AP-shells!!)...or out sea...open waters...cruising...spamming heavily at lower speed guns 203 mm...then ya go for Hindenburgh (extremely dangerous to get that one upclose)...or Zao (...immense stealthy good fire-spammer!!!...real NINJA!......excellent ship & now it has it's 12km torps!..beware!).

So, in short, my personal pick out of several great T10 cruiser ships? ...my pick is Henri IV!!! (...but that is highly due to my personnal playing style...ship fits/suits me perfectly!)

• Bad 1

Players
8,399 posts
9,218 battles
On 11/6/2018 at 5:36 AM, Yaskaraxx said:

First: Most of T10 ships are excellent!! (except Moskva..that is not good, turning circle is IMMENSE, HUGHE citadel, cannot be missed)

Strange. I have a hard time hitting that citadel when the player isn't a total moron giving me broadside. All I get is bounces and shatters unless I fire German or BB HE.

Maybe you shouldn't write off the ship just because you can't play it?

• Cool 1

Players
538 posts
20 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Strange. I have a hard time hitting that citadel when the player isn't a total moron giving me broadside. All I get is bounces and shatters unless I fire German or BB HE.

Maybe you shouldn't write off the ship just because you can't play it?

Interestingly my first salvo in my first game in the NorCal was on a broadsiding Moskva that got caught out. That was an instand dev strike for like 3/4 of their health. But like you say, a well played Moskva stays angled at range, and is a right bugger to displace. Only prolonged HE spam that sets multiple fires will wear them down, unless their radar is on cooldown and a DD dares to get close and torp.

[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts

I would recommend the Zao, the Moskva and the Hindenburg from the least to most tanky. The Moskva can tank quite a lot if angled right but she's less of an independent open water ship than the Hindy. Zao is squishy but hits quite hard.

One option I don't have firsthand experience with is the Henri IV, it has the highest salvo alpha damage so perhaps someone can weigh in.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,973 battles
On 11/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, ScoutMkoll said:

Zao is squishy but hits quite hard.

One option I don't have firsthand experience with is the Henri IV, it has the highest salvo alpha damage so perhaps someone can weigh in.

Zao IMO is not exactly squishy. The armor far surpasses anything in the IJN CA line and the stealth is top notch so anything you can't tank you can usually disengange from. It does suffer from BS citadels as most other IJN cruisers in my experience.

HIV is not bad by any means, I just find it underwelming. I have not played it much with the reload booster so my oppinion of it might change there, but currently I say go for the Zao instead. The Zao is stealthier, has much better torps, arguably better (more trollish) armor, 12 guns with great velocity, AP damage and great HE.

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles

Henry and Zao can deliver huge chunks of damage if you get full salvoes off.

Players
538 posts
16 hours ago, ollonborre said:

Zao IMO is not exactly squishy. The armor far surpasses anything in the IJN CA line and the stealth is top notch so anything you can't tank you can usually disengange from. It does suffer from BS citadels as most other IJN cruisers in my experience.

From my experience of shooting at Zao's with my NC, you seem to get a lot of trolly overpens when they sail broadside on. Then they turn to disengage and you are able to citadel them. It's a bit random, but I suppose it stops Zao players from taking massive damage all the time.

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, Centurion_1711 said:

From my experience of shooting at Zao's with my NC, you seem to get a lot of trolly overpens when they sail broadside on. Then they turn to disengage and you are able to citadel them. It's a bit random, but I suppose it stops Zao players from taking massive damage all the time.

As having played through the IJNCA line, I can confirm that Zao is miles ahead in protection to anything before her (perhaps with the expection of Atago of al things). She's not exactly "Battleship Hindenburg"-level of sturdy but she can angle against most AP rounds fired at her with a reasonable chance of bouncing as opposed to just being lolpenned. Of course even such one should never try to stand up to battleships, but at least you can be saved by your armour as opposed to having enemy shells just arm on your armour.

Your plating can be overmatched by all BB guns, so going bow on or stern on does you the least good. Your best bet is evasive sailing.

Players
84 posts
12,504 battles

If i could only choose 1 T10 it would be Zao - Hands down the best, especially with legendary mod, Decent range, Great concealment, stealth torp devastating HE and it's AP is not to be messed with either.

Close second - Henri and Mino

All t10's have different play styles, it's what suits you best, I play them all and enjoy every single one of them.

[AAO]
Players
1,572 posts
21,052 battles

If you have some time available i'd recommend watching this:

Spoiler

Granted it's a bit old, so it's missing HIVs reload booster, a buff to moskva armour, 12km torps for Zao

and the Worchester entirely (but she's a high dpm/low alpha ship, so not what you're looking for)

Personally i'd recommend Zao > Moskva > Hinden. The previous 2 have very good AP that can do massive dmg even at long range, (and Zao-HE has reliably high per-salvo dmg as well),

the latter less so but tends to be played closer to the enemy and has better reload, so it can exploit misplays better.

DM has extremely powerful AP, but on average one tends to need more experience to put the ship in a situation where it can use it often. The HE is good as well but relies on RoF over per salvo dmg.

HIV has strong AP, but worse concealment and Armor than Zao, so it tends to be played further away and use HE more since it's harder to get on the enemies flank to use it.

Its HE has good dmg but at those ranges you tend to land less shells since the ballistics are floatier than Zao or Moskva.

Also maybe work towards the Kronstahdt while it's still available, those 305s are pretty devastating (if a bit trollish)

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Didn't read the whole thread but saw the name popping up. Zao is the safest choice. With it's troll armor at least you have a decent chance to not be one shot or crippled to uselessness by 1 borderline sniping BB