Sznyper

Yugumo grind question

17 comments in this topic

[A-TOM]
Beta Tester
74 posts
5,341 battles

I have a serious dilemma concerning Yugumo grind. After researching hull B, there is 223 k required to reach Shimakaze. Is it worth to research torpedoes and Gun Fire Control Systemfirst for a total of  74k exp first, or just go straight to Shima with the stock ones? Some advise?

[A-TOM]
Beta Tester
74 posts
5,341 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

You don't really need the range, but 12km torps are great.

That's what I heared. But my question is: are they worth additional 60k exp grind? Gun range is not worth at all IMO, so when I have 60k exp gathered should I research 12k torpedoes or go stright to Shima? Grind 163k exp with 10km torps or 223k with the12km ones?

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,497 posts
11,616 battles

I had a lot of fun while playing her, so it didn't feel like a grind for me. You can just decide later if you want to get the torps or not.

[UNICS]
Players
3,058 posts
12,350 battles

Depends on how much you enjoy 'grinding' yugu. Don't remember how much better the 12km torps are. The guns aren't worth it. You probably can do with the 10km torps if you're in a hurry.

[BAD-B]
Players
740 posts
2,427 battles

So you intend to sell the ship after you get Shima ?

Anyway you do want the ability to torp outside of radar range (even the RU 11.7km radar) not to mention the 30k more damage on a torp broadside ...

Seriously this is the first time I see anybody debate the usefulness of better torps on an IJN DD ...

[OCTO]
Players
748 posts
15,682 battles

Frankly, I think that Yugumo is stronger at its tier than Shima. My advice is to learn to play it with 12km torps and reload booster, no smoke. Guns upgrade is not worth it really, you are a pinnacle of IJN DD torpboat line....

[POI--]
Players
4,196 posts
5,167 battles
8 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

Anyway you do want the ability to torp outside of radar range (even the RU 11.7km radar) not to mention the 30k more damage on a torp broadside ...

Seriously this is the first time I see anybody debate the usefulness of better torps on an IJN DD ...

I find the radar argument a bit silly, at least for Russian radar. There's exactly one case where the torp range really is useful vs Russian radar ships and that is if a Chapa is plane spotted and you torp it. The issue with Russian radar is pretty much that for Chapayev, if you spot it, you are inside radar range, you get radared, you run for your life. If Chapa gets spotted due to firing its guns or due to an ally of yours being closer, Chapa likely won't radar randomly, unless the closer ally is something Chapa doesn't see without radar. But Russian cruisers do not just dump a radar into the void without good reason to suspect a DD. Russian cruisers after Chapa can be spotted from beyond radar range, they will not radar until torps arrive and they have grounds to suspect you to be there. And for these cases, 10 km torps aren't really worse than 12 km ones, because you torp cruisers steaming towards you, allowing you to launch from a safe distance. If you dump them at 12 km, you can just forget it anyway. It's only with 8 km superfast torps that you have a hard time getting out before the torps arrive and the cruiser knows you are here.

As to whether 12 km beat 10 km. I think OP didn't question that. They questioned whether the benefit outweighed the 60k delay on getting to Shima. And frankly, it's a good question, because the 10 km torps are not bad. I personally still got the 12 km torps, because I am in no hurry to get Shima, but if you really want to powergrind through...

4 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Frankly, I think that Yugumo is stronger at its tier than Shima. My advice is to learn to play it with 12km torps and reload booster, no smoke. Guns upgrade is not worth it really, you are a pinnacle of IJN DD torpboat line....

For whatever reason, I never found TRB to be that useful. I just prefer the ability to lay down smoke, be it for me or team mates. Though, I also feel like Yuugumo is one of those few IJN DDs that have somewhat ok guns tier for tier. Not good, but they at least don't have a dpm disparity so massive that you can't fend off enemy DDs somewhat effectively. 

[A-TOM]
Beta Tester
74 posts
5,341 battles
8 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

I am not debating usefulness of 12 km torps. I am not going to keep Yugumo, just grind to Shima - this is a base to my question.

4 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

I keep Kagero & Shiratsuyu in such a configuration. As a matter of fact Yugumo most of the time also. It's a bit hard with 10 km torps only, but i think that the fact I am punished harder for mistakes may help my "radar awareness".

[POI--]
Players
4,196 posts
5,167 battles
8 minutes ago, Sznyper said:

I keep Kagero & Shiratsuyu in such a configuration. As a matter of fact Yugumo most of the time also. It's a bit hard with 10 km torps only, but i think that the fact I am punished harder for mistakes may help my "radar awareness".

It more helps your "where could enemy ships be" awareness. If you run into radars, smoke wouldn't save you. Smokes can save you when you run into opponents like DDs without radar, where it obscures your retreat. With TRB, you need to account for those more and keep in mind how far you can go without overextending, as you got no easy way out.

[OCTO]
Players
748 posts
15,682 battles
6 hours ago, Sznyper said:

Indeed, having no smoke teaches you very quickly about map awareness and positioning. I stand by what I wrote, I think that Yugumo is more pleasurable to play than Shima. Don't sell it immediately, is my advice....  ;) 

• Cool 1

[BAD-B]
Players
740 posts
2,427 battles
11 hours ago, Riselotte said:

I find the radar argument a bit silly, at least for Russian radar. There's exactly one case where the torp range really is useful vs Russian radar ships and that is if a Chapa is plane spotted and you torp it. The issue with Russian radar is pretty much that for Chapayev, if you spot it, you are inside radar range, you get radared, you run for your life. If Chapa gets spotted due to firing its guns or due to an ally of yours being closer, Chapa likely won't radar randomly, unless the closer ally is something Chapa doesn't see without radar. But Russian cruisers do not just dump a radar into the void without good reason to suspect a DD. Russian cruisers after Chapa can be spotted from beyond radar range, they will not radar until torps arrive and they have grounds to suspect you to be there. And for these cases, 10 km torps aren't really worse than 12 km ones, because you torp cruisers steaming towards you, allowing you to launch from a safe distance. If you dump them at 12 km, you can just forget it anyway. It's only with 8 km superfast torps that you have a hard time getting out before the torps arrive and the cruiser knows you are here.

As to whether 12 km beat 10 km. I think OP didn't question that. They questioned whether the benefit outweighed the 60k delay on getting to Shima. And frankly, it's a good question, because the 10 km torps are not bad. I personally still got the 12 km torps, because I am in no hurry to get Shima, but if you really want to powergrind through...

For whatever reason, I never found TRB to be that useful. I just prefer the ability to lay down smoke, be it for me or team mates. Though, I also feel like Yuugumo is one of those few IJN DDs that have somewhat ok guns tier for tier. Not good, but they at least don't have a dpm disparity so massive that you can't fend off enemy DDs somewhat effectively. 

That's not the really complete. You do want to torp Moskvas and Donskois even if their concealment is worse than their radar range. It's just that you sometimes cannot avoid those situations and 12km torps give you more options. On top they deliver more damage.

Giving up that versatility for 60k exp is just stupid. Especially since Shima is not a better ship (or not better enough) than Yugumo imo ....

[SWTP]
Players
446 posts
6,737 battles

I decided to keep Yugumo when I got Shima, played Shima for a while and now I moved my Shima captain to Haragumo as I rarely played her recently. Still playing from time to time TRB Yogumo with accelerated 12km torps giving me quick hard hitting 9,6km. Shima is rusting in port now. Do not sell Yogumo too fast. It is T for T better DD IMO even maybe better overall and for every time I am in a game with Shima enemy team has one T10 DD (usually it means better ship and experienced captain) while when I am in Yogumo they have T9 (often with not better DD and its captain lacking experience and still learning high Tier gameplay). Now if Shima had TRB...:cap_rambo:

[POI--]
Players
4,196 posts
5,167 battles
5 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

That's not the really complete. You do want to torp Moskvas and Donskois even if their concealment is worse than their radar range. It's just that you sometimes cannot avoid those situations and 12km torps give you more options. On top they deliver more damage.

Giving up that versatility for 60k exp is just stupid. Especially since Shima is not a better ship (or not better enough) than Yugumo imo ....

And you can torp them even with 10 km torps, because guess what. They have no means of telling whether you are within radar range or not (only Chapayev has). Are the 12 km torps better? Sure they are. Are they necessary? Strictly speaking, no. But if you want to appreciate Yuugumo, getting them is likely recommended. But for stock torps, they are workable and have enough range to not be too bothered by radar. 

[BAD-B]
Players
740 posts
2,427 battles
3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

And you can torp them even with 10 km torps, because guess what. They have no means of telling whether you are within radar range or not (only Chapayev has). Are the 12 km torps better? Sure they are. Are they necessary? Strictly speaking, no. But if you want to appreciate Yuugumo, getting them is likely recommended. But for stock torps, they are workable and have enough range to not be too bothered by radar. 

sure you can, but it is much riskier ... and I think almost every cruiser skipper is taking PT which is a good indicator or DD activity ....

[POI--]
Players
4,196 posts
5,167 battles
Just now, Hugh_Ruka said:

sure you can, but it is much riskier ... and I think almost every cruiser skipper is taking PT which is a good indicator or DD activity ....

It isn't much riskier, because for successful launches at a Moskva or a Donskoi, you shouldn't launch at max range anyway. 10 km is fine to be out of radar range by the time the torps arrive, if you set it on an interception course. It's risky if you play with the 8 km option, because the range there is so short and speed so high that it's hardly unlikely your Yuugumo gets out before torps arrive.

Also, in the thick of it, a spotted Moskva or Donskoi likely won't view the occasional change in targetted number as a necessary indication of DD activity, given they get targetted all the time by anything across the map and are regularly being checked out by anyone with good AP, because you wouldn't want to miss out on that Moskva broadside. If you are afraid though, staying in torp mode for the whole approach is an option.

Players
440 posts
7,501 battles

Since I really liked the Yugumo I would rather play it with 12km range torps and play more games as be stuck with 10 km torps.

Think this is largely personal preference in how much in a hurry you are to get to the shimakaze.