You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tuccy

Submarines! Submarines everywhere!

129 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,408 posts
6,223 battles

So with the new Operation, subs are here... Seems all the tests paid off (random team 5 stars first go for me) - share your results as well :cap_rambo:

shot-18.10.31_09.45.31-0909.jpg shot-18.10.31_09.45.34-0245.jpg

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,346 posts
9,234 battles

Had one quick game before work, while I was practicing diving and surfacing my team won 4 stars for me. Awful nice of them. Love the subs, was a lot of fun.

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
Players
1,556 posts
9,162 battles

i've played 3 times with random teams and got 5 stars each time.

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
1,090 posts
14,212 battles

Didnt try them yet since I m doing a 24h shift today but I m pretty sure i ll like it from what I we seen

• Angry 1

[DAVY]
Players
1,556 posts
9,162 battles

the only (small) problem i can find with this OP is that you can't mount signals to boost the XP

[PORT]
Modder
1,529 posts
11,185 battles
14 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Seems overly simplistic, just yolo at periscope depth. Is there any reason to dive?

Not in normal mode, but on hard it get's tough to survive up there. And you wanna dive deep below the Rasputin to spot the castle, if you are going mid.

And of course it's fun to charge a ship, dive below the ship, dive up on the other side, and finish it with your stern torps. :D

Players
1,362 posts
5,356 battles

I deliberately avoided any "how to play" videos of this  mode as I wanted to see how hard it was for "potatoes" to do this. I'd won the Gerfalcon during the Sunray Op so maybe this made it easier for me (not sure) but this was a very VERY easy 5 star win. I started on the right side and went along to the top right hitting everything but at the 1/2 way point my side was empty of ships (still spotting Catapults) and all the bots were in the left/middle so the last 3-4 minutes were boring as I didn't even get to fight the Rasputin or even see a DD.

Good Points - Easy to dive/surface, "Ice" torps are good for knocking out enemy ships, good selection of bots to fight.

"Bad" Points - Well not really bad as such but, hard to control direction of torp aimer as it seemed to swing wildly at times, GerFalcon has rear facing torps (didn't know) and nothing "in-game" tells you that so my first attack was awful after I stunned a ship but couldn't select "kill" torps as the enemy was infront of me, the GerFalcon handling is very poor and the key combination of F+C meant I pressed the wrong key quite a few times, the "burning" screen effect was on even though I wasn't on fire at times after surfacing.

So enjoyable, quick and fun but lacks rewards and therefore replay value i.e. now I've 5 starred on my first go and the XP is "low" due to the lack of flags etc, why would I play more etc (I probably will just to try out the different subs).

wows595.jpg

***EDIT*** - Once you know the Op and the Sub you can really rack-up a nice damage score!

shot-18_10.31_15_43.11-0149.thumb.jpg.643325c539eba1d4981cc51910df27c7.jpg

• Cool 1

[-DKBG]
Beta Tester
241 posts

Creamgravy:

Actually yes there are reasons to dive, like going under ships to fire backwards faced torps at them. Avoid friendly torps on your path, so they can hit their target. Avoid enemy torps also.

Diving under other subs...to crosspaths.

How about diving under islands...that would be nice. Perhaps not the most realistic but could add something for the game. Different attack lanes or avoid being killed by quickly going under an island.

• Funny 1

[DSPA]
Players
354 posts
2,548 battles
46 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

So enjoyable, quick and fun but lacks rewards and therefore replay value i.e. now I've 5 starred on my first go and the XP is "low" due to the lack of flags etc, why would I play more etc (I probably will just to try out the different subs).

Those 19 skill Halloween captains are great to collect fast Elite XP. (If you don't have 19 skill captains yourself of course).

Elite XP is great to level up captains or even retrain them.

• Cool 1

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
1,515 posts
5,869 battles

in the surface Halloween operations you could mount flaggs on the ships, that increased the EXP a lot.

The Subs can not mount flaggs.

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
5,725 posts
5,206 battles

LOVE IT!!!

Played with the default one and came out on top :-)

A little bit of debriefing feedback:

- not always easy to see where your ships is going at periscope depth - maybe the sub could be slightly visible there

- obviously periscope depth is the place to be. Didn’t even notice a speed difference to surfaced (...). It would be nice if all depths were equally feasible. Eg. Surface = full view range and fast but easy to hit / periscope depth = slower but still limited view range (maybe a third) / fully submerged = no view range other than hydro (couldn’t see the point in the fourth depth setting as long as it doesn’t help a lot against Depth charges)

- why are torps inaccurate surfaced? These boats were mostly torpedo boats which could dive if in danger 

However - great mode - lots of fun! And I hope subs will indeed make it to PvP too :-)

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
4,017 posts
6,041 battles
10 minutes ago, ShadowVector said:

anyone care to reccomend captain builds for this OP?

I went with this, because i dont see much option here (same on Gerfalcon and Seelöwe)

Spoiler

shot-18_10.31_17_52.40-0316.thumb.jpg.6c8d41dca830df3bbda1225229ff328b.jpg

Ontopic

played 1 game Gerfalcon and 1 Seelöwe. 2nd one was way more fun with the torplaunchers in the front :Smile_great:

Spoiler

shot-18_10.31_17_36.44-0629.thumb.jpg.21915cae30d23004550cb85bfc4cbe2d.jpgshot-18_10.31_17_36.50-0023.thumb.jpg.fcf25142878ec87b31a08c9f80117eb8.jpgshot-18_10.31_17_36.48-0446.thumb.jpg.c8240bb9aa1414278900e635da34a046.jpg

• Cool 1

[-TNP-]
Players
14 posts
7,990 battles

awesome thank you. figured that would be the build to use since theres few options available but figured it was better to check with some one who has already done it :D

[TTT]
Players
3,941 posts
7,767 battles
4 hours ago, gizaman said:

How about diving under islands...that would be nice. Perhaps not the most realistic but could add something for the game. Different attack lanes or avoid being killed by quickly going under an island.

...that's not how islands work. that's not how islands work at all. even on Islands of Ice - since the vast majority of Icebergs is still underwater...

Players
1,362 posts
5,356 battles
4 hours ago, FooFaFie said:

Those 19 skill Halloween captains are great to collect fast Elite XP. (If you don't have 19 skill captains yourself of course).

For me the lack of any "signal" additions in this mode means that the XP gain is very minimal i.e only 4k captain XP on a good game, whereas even in low earning Co-Op a 500 base XP game can net you upto 18k Captain XP because you can add signals and a Random game can get you much more.

So while that 4k maybe handy for a lot of players, for myself it's a fairly large amount of potential Elite Captain XP I'm losing per game.

• Cool 3

Players
2,814 posts
12,775 battles

The devs did a great job with this. Not quite as much fun for me personally as the classic April Fools "Captain's Bathtub", but a pleasant experience for 3-4 games.

I wouldn't like to see this in competitive games, because it feels full-on arcade mode. However it would be great to add to the regular rota of Operations.

Wargaming could set up some grind-y missions (maybe for tier X ships to give people yet more incentive to play them) so that people could win submarines,.

They could also offer them for sale to us wallet warriors.

Come on Wargaming! Don't miss the chance of a cash grab marketing opportunity!

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,940 posts
14,134 battles

Did only one battle and without doing that well got five stars...

With all those subs trying to get to torps something it wasn't easy to even get a straight shot out without having to fear that one of those enraged chickens would get in the way.

Will be interesting to see how subs would work in a real battle...