Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Wallet_Warrior

NEW PC BUILD - CANNOT WAIT

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
208 posts

Hi All,

 

The upgrading of the work computers recently gave me an itch to build my own PC, so I raided my savings for £2,700 to build the following:

 

Case = Gigabyte AC300W,

Motherboard = Gigabyte AORUS X470 Gaming 7,

RAM = 32GB (4 x 8GB) Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4-3200MHz,

CPU = AMD Ryzen 7 2700X,

GPU = Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce OC,

SSD = Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe (1 TB Capacity).

 

They are going to be stock and stock cooled until January 2019 and I get my Christmas bonus, which I will use part of to do a full waterblock and hardline cooling loop. 

 

All the components above are arriving this Saturday, I cannot frickin' wait guys. Will post pics on here once I got her up and running. 

 

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
776 posts
12,491 battles

You forgot to mention the most important element: the power supply. Leaving aside the quality and just based on the CPU and GPU, make it at least 750W (i.e., twice the consumption of the most demanding components) so you can have plenty of room for improvements.

 

Enjoy your new child and I hope it behaves better than the first PC I built from scratch (that one really hated me).

 

Salute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
208 posts
2 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

You forgot to mention the most important element: the power supply. Leaving aside the quality and just based on the CPU and GPU, make it at least 750W (i.e., twice the consumption of the most demanding components) so you can have plenty of room for improvements.

 

Enjoy your new child and I hope it behaves better than the first PC I built from scratch (that one really hated me).

 

Salute.

Sorry bro I totally forgot to type it, already chosen a Corsair RM850x for that sweet 10 year warranty!

 

Also going for CableMod sleeved cable kit for it (in Orange) and also for the Lian Li 24pin (motherboard) and 8pin (GPU) RGB power cables for more glorious RGB when I make the switch to watercooling.

 

I am stoked for this but I am shitting bricks incase I [edited]something up and kill expensive electronics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
737 posts
245 battles

jesus thats a nice set up hope it goes well for you.

 

makes me wonder how many fps you can get in WoWS with a rig like that.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
208 posts
7 hours ago, CptBarney said:

jesus thats a nice set up hope it goes well for you.

 

makes me wonder how many fps you can get in WoWS with a rig like that.

 

No idea mate, my idea is to stop gaming on console and just swap over to PC gaming. I'll be using my 65" OLED 4K HDR TV as a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse for playing things with so I am not expecting ultra responsiveness in either the display or the input peripherals: I am not a streamer or pro-gamer - I just want a beefy rig to play AAA titles at their highest settings for years to come is all. 4K @ 60fps is what I am happy with.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles

65'' TV as display ... that's really not recommended. The reason why TVs are so big is because if you look at it from an average 3m away on a coach you need the size and with 3m out you won't be able to see miniscule details anyway so comparatively low ppi isn't much of an issue. But if you sit right next to it even a 4k resolution isn't going to look quite as sharp as you think it would compared to a much smaller display even with a smaller resolution.

 

I mean, if you got that TV anyway use it if you want, but considering a single RTX 2080Ti really won't have the performance to keep your graphic quality at 4K/60fps on highest details for years to come in the long run (obviously depending on what games we're talking about) you might want to look at getting yourself a properly sized display. Opting for a smaller resolution would certainly help with graphics performance longevity (a WQHD display with an adequate display size will look pretty crisp, even compared to a 65'' 4K TV as prior experience, and the resolution is much easier on the graphics performance letting you milk that GPU for much longer whilst maintaining maximum graphics settings, plus you can go for the 21:9 ultrawide monitors for a bezel-free surround vision experience) or if you want to stick to 4K resolution then a smaller display is really going to show you just how sharp and detailed 4K resolution will look compared to an oversized TV with the same resolution.

 

 

Do note all of the above is obviously a wee bit biased considering I'm a bit of a hardware afficionado (and personally looking to also build myself a new PC, though not nearly as beefy as yours).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
208 posts
4 hours ago, Aotearas said:

65'' TV as display ... that's really not recommended. The reason why TVs are so big is because if you look at it from an average 3m away on a coach you need the size and with 3m out you won't be able to see miniscule details anyway so comparatively low ppi isn't much of an issue. But if you sit right next to it even a 4k resolution isn't going to look quite as sharp as you think it would compared to a much smaller display even with a smaller resolution.

 

I mean, if you got that TV anyway use it if you want, but considering a single RTX 2080Ti really won't have the performance to keep your graphic quality at 4K/60fps on highest details for years to come in the long run (obviously depending on what games we're talking about) you might want to look at getting yourself a properly sized display. Opting for a smaller resolution would certainly help with graphics performance longevity (a WQHD display with an adequate display size will look pretty crisp, even compared to a 65'' 4K TV as prior experience, and the resolution is much easier on the graphics performance letting you milk that GPU for much longer whilst maintaining maximum graphics settings, plus you can go for the 21:9 ultrawide monitors for a bezel-free surround vision experience) or if you want to stick to 4K resolution then a smaller display is really going to show you just how sharp and detailed 4K resolution will look compared to an oversized TV with the same resolution.

 

 

Do note all of the above is obviously a wee bit biased considering I'm a bit of a hardware afficionado (and personally looking to also build myself a new PC, though not nearly as beefy as yours).

 

Wow seriously an RTX 2080 Ti can’t do 4K at 60fps? 

 

Theres been a slight change to the GPU in my build, I got a call today from the vendor who said the Gigabyte card won’t be in on time to make my delivery date and Gigabyte have told them it might take upto 6 weeks to get more cards because of supply issues so I’ve changed it to the Palit RTX 2080 Ti ProGamer OC.

 

Also they had stock incorrect on their system and accidentally showed the Gaming 7 Motherboard as in stock so they have more units coming into the shop so delivery date has been pushed back to next Monday because of that.

 

As a sorry they gave me the Palit card at same price at the Gigabyte card despite the Palit card being £149 more expensive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles
5 minutes ago, The_Wallet_Warrior said:

 

Wow seriously an RTX 2080 Ti can’t do 4K at 60fps? 

It can, but it probably won't do that for the time period you were expecting (or at least that's how I interpreted your "years to come" part), at least not for demanding games. For current games that GPU is plenty enough for 4k 60fps. But give it two years and devs really exploiting the ray-tracing and it will probably look not so 60fps'y anymore.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
208 posts
On 11/5/2018 at 11:44 PM, Ferry_25 said:

So?! How is it OP???

Epic. Plays World of Warships at highest settings at 177 FPS (output resolution set to 4K in nvidia control panel).

 

 

 

 

image1.jpeg

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
737 posts
245 battles

Thats looking really nice there, my friends are starting to build their own pc’s too so this has got me thinking about building my own. Glad it works and 177fps at 4k res noice.

 

although im gonna have to save up a lot i do have the case i wanted just need the components still choosing some of them atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
776 posts
12,491 battles

Holy smokes, my poor eyes! I knew it was going to be bright, but did you really need to make it into an extra lamp for the room?

 

It's a pity that many quality manufacturers (not even Lian Li escaped the trend) have gone quite far into the rabbit hole of gaudy designs and LED nonsense. If you wish to have something actually sober you'll have to look for retailers that still own discontinued items from 5 years ago or more. Either that or going full DIY. I suppose I should dust off, if they still exist, the sketches I drew long ago regarding my ideal PC case and refine them.

 

Salute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
On 11/12/2018 at 6:08 PM, The_Wallet_Warrior said:

 

 

image1.jpeg

Wow. I find it aesthetically looking amazing as well. A PC seems to be much more developping into a part of the furniture nowadays. Which I like. I'm coming from the Stone Age where PC's only had that pitch ugly sick grey colors. But I did have 486 Intel processor! And a 2k4 modem with which it only took 5 minutes to download an E-mail message (which was revolutionary new back then as well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,051 posts
7,554 battles
On 11/12/2018 at 11:19 PM, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Holy smokes, my poor eyes! I knew it was going to be bright, but did you really need to make it into an extra lamp for the room?

 

It's a pity that many quality manufacturers (not even Lian Li escaped the trend) have gone quite far into the rabbit hole of gaudy designs and LED nonsense. If you wish to have something actually sober you'll have to look for retailers that still own discontinued items from 5 years ago or more. Either that or going full DIY. I suppose I should dust off, if they still exist, the sketches I drew long ago regarding my ideal PC case and refine them.

 

Salute.

Dunno, Fractal cases are barebone minimalistic when it comes to the looks. But damn they are functional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
776 posts
12,491 battles
On 11/23/2018 at 4:05 PM, Panocek said:

Dunno, Fractal cases are barebone minimalistic when it comes to the looks. But damn they are functional.

I didn't know about that manufacturer but I agree after taking a look, its cases are quite minimalistic. The discontinued ones are more to my liking, though. It may be just that, from my point of view, this is the most beautiful (fictional, but whatever) PC case ever made:

2001_monolith.jpg

 

Salute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Players
3,073 posts
12,373 battles
On 11/12/2018 at 6:08 PM, The_Wallet_Warrior said:

 

image1.jpeg

I think your fans are overheating :Smile_hiding:

 

I'm also slightly considering buying a new PC. The current one is from 2010 (upgraded GPU, exchanged mobo, new SDD) and it's still doing far too well for what I need it for. The screen is 24'' 1920:1080 and as long as I have that, there's really no need to buy a new PC. So, the question becomes if I should buy a new screen...

The type of screens that may warrant an upgrade, I think are: 

Asus 27" LED G-Sync Rog Swift PG279Q  2560x1440 IPS, 165hz, 4ms, Speakers, HDMI/DP; 

Acer 27" Predator LED G-Sync XB271HU 2560x1440 IPS, 165hz, 4ms, 100m:1, Pivot, HDMI/DP

I think the Asus one is close to 3 years old now and still pretty expensive. I wonder if they not will be replaced/updated fairly soon. Plus I don't see any HDR on it..

 

I'll probably keep going with what I have for a bit longer, but feel free to comment if you have any good thoughts around this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
208 posts
On 11/26/2018 at 8:37 AM, loppantorkel said:

I think your fans are overheating :Smile_hiding:

 

I'm also slightly considering buying a new PC. The current one is from 2010 (upgraded GPU, exchanged mobo, new SDD) and it's still doing far too well for what I need it for. The screen is 24'' 1920:1080 and as long as I have that, there's really no need to buy a new PC. So, the question becomes if I should buy a new screen...

The type of screens that may warrant an upgrade, I think are: 

Asus 27" LED G-Sync Rog Swift PG279Q  2560x1440 IPS, 165hz, 4ms, Speakers, HDMI/DP; 

Acer 27" Predator LED G-Sync XB271HU 2560x1440 IPS, 165hz, 4ms, 100m:1, Pivot, HDMI/DP

I think the Asus one is close to 3 years old now and still pretty expensive. I wonder if they not will be replaced/updated fairly soon. Plus I don't see any HDR on it..

 

I'll probably keep going with what I have for a bit longer, but feel free to comment if you have any good thoughts around this.

 

Simply from personal preference I would go with the Acer as it's the only brand of monitors I've had a lot of experience with.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
737 posts
245 battles
2 hours ago, The_Wallet_Warrior said:

 

Simply from personal preference I would go with the Acer as it's the only brand of monitors I've had a lot of experience with.

I agree my acer monitor has been excellent and hasn't failed me once for the 3 years i've had it now. (even if it is 60hz).

 

i mean i have an old acer laptop from 07 that still works today and can even play garrys mod and dawn of war 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ZEFIX]
Beta Tester
396 posts
1,138 battles
On 11/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, The_Wallet_Warrior said:

 

Simply from personal preference I would go with the Acer as it's the only brand of monitors I've had a lot of experience with.

 

Better not go with a certain brand or manufacturer, just because you've once had a good experience by them. When looking for a new component, better look out for specific reviews regarding the item you are interested in. And by this I mean blog entries/articles by specialised tech magazines/bloggers etc. Customer reviews @ big online department stores can be good indicators as well.  But beware, the more complicated the matter, the less reliable such reviews are (e.g. never buy a PSU on the basis of customer reviews, because average PC users have absolutely no expertise when it comes to such an important component). For a monitor it should be quite okay, since the most important thing here is (wonder wonder) the display quality.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×