Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

Procedurally generated maps?

16 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
2,997 posts
12,293 battles

What if you had procedurally generated maps in the game? 2 opposing teams, neither team knows the map layout. CVs could actually have an important role to scout the map and the enemy ship positions, and possibly composition. The teams would have to make up the strategy on the go as the map and island layout is revealed. Submarines could be given a head start to find ambush areas.

I think this might be a way to actually get CV players appreciated in Random games. Not by permaspotting dds, but providing necessary info.

Yes/No?

• Cool 6

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles

I guess this would be too much for the already crappy servers they use for World of Warships... madslam.gif

But i like the idea. beerchug.gif

• Cool 1

Players
1,586 posts
6,372 battles

Remove the mini-map and make Hydro/Radar historical accurate and you have basicly the same.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,891 posts
6,218 battles

Now this idea i like, now mabe not in random (not because of me, id love it) but to have a random spinoff mode where there is a random map generator, no 2 maps are the same, well that would be a dream come true :Smile_medal:

Beta Tester
795 posts
4,327 battles

Idea been around since the beginning of WoWs.

Would be interesting and a publicity stunt by revealing a new map every competitive tournament. 

But no. With WG? Nah. Sry. 

[OCTO]
Players
711 posts
15,601 battles
8 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

What if you had procedurally generated maps in the game? 2 opposing teams, neither team knows the map layout. CVs could actually have an important role to scout the map and the enemy ship positions, and possibly composition. The teams would have to make up the strategy on the go as the map and island layout is revealed. Submarines could be given a head start to find ambush areas.

I think this might be a way to actually get CV players appreciated in Random games. Not by permaspotting dds, but providing necessary info.

Yes/No?

I have proposed this about a year ago and there were three type of answers, generally:

1. From forum trolls, aka know-it-alls who said it can't be done and I am a noob and better L2P - no rational argument why it shouldn't be done from this group. My advice, ignore this group.

2. Clan members from well known and good clans were opposed to the idea. Their reasoning was that they study the map to exquisite details (specially for clan wars) to exploit the map peculiarities, thus giving them advantage in battle. Randomly generated maps would negate such advantage. While I don't agree with coloring by numbers approach, it is a valid argument.

3. Minority of the forum members were open to the idea. 

I would say yes.

Players
133 posts
8,484 battles

Idea is as good as any other, issue here is implementation. If it would be done by competent people it would occassionally lead to very unbalanced maps favoring or even making it impossible for one team to win the game. If it would be done by WG, well you can have faith but no longer a hope?

That would be my concern, as with the arm race, one side got better buffs, insta win. It is not easy to procedurally make something reasonable.

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles
9 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Yes/No?

I actually love it!
Also this:

8 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

Remove the mini-map and make Hydro/Radar historical accurate and you have basicly the same.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,808 posts
7,490 battles
11 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Yes/No?

Uffff ... WG wont go into trouble with that. Multiple reasons:

- current map implementation is entirely static (and historical - realistic to some limited extent)

- maps are designed, meaning WG puts much effort into maps (into actual map design, towns, harbors, vegetation, eye candy, Easter eggs...)

- they have an entire department that works on maps only ... meaning about team balances. They are constantly tweaking the maps (lets leave out the judging on how they are successful in it...)

- procedural maps creation would throw all this implementation down the drain and would introduce:

* funny looking maps

* unequal and unbalanced maps (why? they have trouble balancing static maps, I dont want to even imagine how unbalanced the random generated maps would be)

So in the end I would say ... NO. Let them fix (balance) current maps ... some maps should be flushed down the toilet ... but some maps are excellent (such as Estuary).

The only procedural map that should exist is ... the ocean :Smile_trollface:

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,136 posts
4,313 battles

Maps generated randomly are often not balanced between the 2 teams, unless you somehow force the map to be symetrical.

Moreover, it also means that you have to download the map at the start of the game, and after 3 years of existence, we still see people only connected 2 or 3 minutes after the game has started for maps that are on their PC.

[UNICS]
Players
2,997 posts
12,293 battles

crap forum ate my post :Smile-angry:

I'll try again

10 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Uffff ... WG wont go into trouble with that. Multiple reasons:

- current map implementation is entirely static (and historical - realistic to some limited extent)

- maps are designed, meaning WG puts much effort into maps (into actual map design, towns, harbors, vegetation, eye candy, Easter eggs...)

- they have an entire department that works on maps only ... meaning about team balances. They are constantly tweaking the maps (lets leave out the judging on how they are successful in it...)

Random games, CBs and Ranked could remain as is. They're good modes in static maps. Some new designed maps would be welcome though.

10 hours ago, nambr9 said:

- procedural maps creation would throw all this implementation down the drain and would introduce:

* funny looking maps

* unequal and unbalanced maps (why? they have trouble balancing static maps, I dont want to even imagine how unbalanced the random generated maps would be)

Yes, some funny and unbalanced maps would occur, especially at start, and then improve over time. Teams get stomped now regardless of map design.. if I could choose between a potato team and an unfair starting location, I'd choose the latter.

This could be instead of Arms Race or Battle Royale... Something more unique and fitting for a Naval combat game. I know procedural generation isn't something new, but considering the cv-rework and perhaps the implementation of subs, it might be better suited now than before.

If it would be tested, adding fog of war and mirroring current set maps could suffice to throw players off for some games.

Players
1,586 posts
6,372 battles
37 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

crap forum ate my post :Smile-angry:

Lucky you, mine get eaten by the red pests in this forum. :fish_palm:

[UNICS]
Players
2,997 posts
12,293 battles
1 hour ago, AnEvilJoke said:

Lucky you, mine get eaten by the red pests in this forum. :fish_palm:

The server hamsters? :fish_cute_2: Is that why the servers are down..? :cap_hmm:

Players
1,586 posts
6,372 battles
5 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

The server hamsters? :fish_cute_2: Is that why the servers are down..? :cap_hmm:

Nah the ones with the red ribbon on the left side :cap_haloween:

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,690 posts
1,489 battles

It's a nice idea in theory. Random maps is one of the reasons I still play diablo 3.

In a pvp game? Imagine the whinefest when prople lose games to the random map handing a massive advantage to one side

Sign in to follow this