Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gyrostabilizer

How to play that Kiev?

20 comments in this topic

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles

Hi captains,

Just got Kiev. Much stronger than Minsk. I had couple very satisfying battles. Then I got into Tier X battle. 

I have 10 pts captain and I went for AFT (since everybody says it's critical), so I don't have IFHE, nor DE yet. The ship though is fully upgraded with all the modules and upgrades.

Game results: 

198 target hits

36500 dmg made... total

2 fires started (only)

of course... finished second from bottom in the teams screen.

I was shooting at Respublique almost for half a game and did nothing to her. Like absolutely nothing. Is there some secret?

Also I noticed that vertical aiming is super sensitive. millimeter lower or millimeter higher and shells either land short of target or fly over. Very strange. At 14 km not that easy to hit BB because of this vertical thing! 

Any tips? 

[CATS]
Players
15,380 posts
11,042 battles
  • select a friendly DD that spawns near you and use him as spotter
  • stay near him and focus on DD and maybe cruiser (depends on cruiser and distance) he spots
  • if there are no other targets, you can spam HE at BB, but that makes your position known to enemy DD and they might act more careful when in your general area
  • when enemy DD in your area are taken care of, you can be more generous with your HE fire and better use smoke to your advantage
  • Cool 1

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • select a friendly DD that spawns near you and use him as spotter

What you would do if there are 2 DDs in game and you on one flank and the other DD is on the other flank? 

[TTT]
Players
3,941 posts
7,767 battles
10 minutes ago, gyrostabilizer said:

What you would do if there are 2 DDs in game and you on one flank and the other DD is on the other flank? 

in that case, you check whether it's Domination or Standard Battle.

• If it's Domination, you (and your team) pretty much say "well crap", have a hearty sigh at the matchmaker for giving one team more DDs than the other, and you try to do the speedboating spot/spam thing as best you can. No point going to a cap alone, that'd just get you killed.
  • If it's Standard Battle, you basically do the above except without the sighing part, since contesting caps isnt a thing that needs to be done.

If you dont have a friendly DD to support, you cant really do much except do your own thing, play to your strengths, hope the enemy DD effs up and gets himself killed (maybe by your radars) or runs into you (which should also lead to a dead enemy DD).

As for the game result you mention in your OP - that's pretty much fire RNG for you. IFHE wouldn't have mattered one bit against a Repu, not a must-have pick on the Kiev (although it does have its uses against cruisers and lower-tier BBs). If you dont get the fires on a BB, you're not doing all that much damage to him with HE (although it does kinda sound like you maybe need to work on your aim a little - go for the superstructure, there you will actually get penetrations). Do keep in mind though - if you get a broadside, your AP is actually pretty scary too, if you aim it well (i.e. dont hit the belt).

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
15,380 posts
11,042 battles
19 minutes ago, gyrostabilizer said:

In that situation the flaw of the RU gunboats becomes obvious (unless the enemy DD on your side is as unstealthy as your ship).

Capping is out of the question most of the time.

Your team expects at least some spotting and protection from the enemy DD.

With a bad DD player on the enemy team you might catch him offguard and take him out with the support of your team. If the enemy DD player is any good, you cannot catch him unless you hopelessly overextend, which usually results in your sinking.

The best play would be to contain that flank and focus on cruiser and BB that dare to advance, but your team needs to be comfortable with an possibly unchecked enemy DD. Most players do not like that and it is also dangerous for you as Kiev is not the best ship to evade random torps.

• Cool 1

[-FF-]
Players
663 posts
5,431 battles
20 hours ago, gyrostabilizer said:

Hi captains,

Just got Kiev. Much stronger than Minsk. I had couple very satisfying battles. Then I got into Tier X battle. 

I have 10 pts captain and I went for AFT (since everybody says it's critical), so I don't have IFHE, nor DE yet. The ship though is fully upgraded with all the modules and upgrades.

[...]

I was shooting at Respublique almost for half a game and did nothing to her. Like absolutely nothing. Is there some secret?

Well, there is no secret, you have to aim at superstructure.

I would not recomment taking IFHE on any high tier russian gunboat anyway, as they have 130 mm guns.

IFHE should allow you to pen 28 mm, but even without you would be able to pen BBs superstructure, even the one of tier 10 BBs. And with IFHE you would not pen the deck anyway.

Kiev is a longe range shot-evading spammer, it will take time until you get used to the aim, especially at long distance, 13-14 kms, but when you do you will love her. 

Do not underestimate AP. Switch to AP on any broadside target, you will see it's incredibly good.

Good luck in your next battles.

• Cool 2

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles
44 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

I would not recomment taking IFHE on any high tier russian gunboat anyway, as they have 130 mm guns.

IFHE should allow you to pen 28 mm, but even without you would be able to pen BBs superstructure, even the one of tier 10 BBs. And with IFHE you would not pen the deck anyway.

What would you recommend for RU DD? I have Priority Target, Last Stand, Super Intendent, and AFT. What should I get next and how 19th point captain should look like for Kiev?

[-FF-]
Players
663 posts
5,431 battles
1 minute ago, gyrostabilizer said:

What would you recommend for RU DD? I have Priority Target, Last Stand, Super Intendent, and AFT. What should I get next and how 19th point captain should look like for Kiev?

I linked the 19 points build in the post above, but if you can't or don't want to respec, I would personally go for (in this order):

Priority target

Last stand 

Survability expert

Advanced firing training

Basic firing training

Adrenaline rush

Superintendent 

Preventive maintenance

Cheers 

• Cool 1

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles
20 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

I linked the 19 points build in the post above, but if you can't or don't want to respec, I would personally go for (in this order):

Priority target

Last stand 

Survability expert

Advanced firing training

Basic firing training

Adrenaline rush

Superintendent 

Preventive maintenance

Cheers 

Thank you!

[OSC]
Players
2,735 posts
10,303 battles

press W, turn your guns towards closest enemy, press LMB.
Don't stop shooting for the rest of the game.
Ocasionally press A or D.

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles
3 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

press W, turn your guns towards closest enemy, press LMB.
Don't stop shooting for the rest of the game.
Ocasionally press A or D.

:))) it's really not THAT simple :) But I feel for battleships that can't do anything about it :) But cruisers and other DDs are a threat

[OSC]
Players
2,735 posts
10,303 battles
7 minutes ago, gyrostabilizer said:

:))) it's really not THAT simple :) But I feel for battleships that can't do anything about it :) But cruisers and other DDs are a threat

No, its really THAT simple.
Whole RU DD line (at least from like t4 onwards) plays like that. Run and gun. Nothing more, nothing less.
Stay at max range, find a juicy target and fire away, while dodging everything enemy throws back at you.

128471919_rudd.thumb.png.3f6066dcddd9dc6bb8c5564bd1c42c76.png

edit: just in case you think I'm talking without anything to back up my statement, these are my stats in RU DDs

[ONE2]
Players
2,498 posts
14,581 battles
On 10/28/2018 at 4:56 PM, gyrostabilizer said:

Also I noticed that vertical aiming is super sensitive. millimeter lower or millimeter higher and shells either land short of target or fly over. Very strange. At 14 km not that easy to hit BB because of this vertical thing!

Yeah, that's your mistake right there mate, shooting at the wrong target... If you had made that 36k damage shooting at enemy DD's instead you'd probably have been 2nd best in your team. You see, the raw damage in HP is not what counts but the % of any given ship's total HP, tou take away. So 36k HP loss in terms of enemy DD's would have probably scored you 1 kill + taken 80-90% of another DD's total HP therefore given you a significant XP bonus. To get to the same result when targeting a BB, you will need to score something like 80 - 150.000 HP damage in comparison, so rely on your torps for those targets more than guns. Also, consider taking the Demolition Expert skill to improve your fire chance & get rid of the AFT and take CE instead so you can better torp from stealth.:Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles

4 hours ago, cro_pwr said:

No, its really THAT simple.

I am going to try this :)))

4 hours ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeah, that's your mistake right there mate, shooting at the wrong target... If you had made that 36k damage shooting at enemy DD's instead you'd probably have been 2nd best in your team. You see, the raw damage in HP is not what counts but the % of any given ship's total HP, tou take away. So 36k HP loss in terms of enemy DD's would have probably scored you 1 kill + taken 80-90% of another DD's total HP therefore given you a significant XP bonus. To get to the same result when targeting a BB, you will need to score something like 80 - 150.000 HP damage in comparison, so rely on your torps for those targets more than guns. Also, consider taking the demolition expert skill to improve your fire chance, get rid of the AFT and take CE instead so you can better torp from stealth.:Smile_Default:

I am not sure about this. If we are going CE and torps aren't we trying to make a torp boat out of gun boat? Maybe if we go stealth and torps it's better instead just take IJN DD. 

[OSC]
Players
2,735 posts
10,303 battles

You are playing the fastest line of ships out there.
If anything, you have the ability to get into good position.

Speed is everything when playing RU DDs. Use it to change positions, to get to flanks, to pick the battles that suit you, and when s**t hits the fan, run away.

And ofc, to dodge enemy shells.

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles
Just now, cro_pwr said:

You are playing the fastest line of ships out there.
If anything, you have the ability to get into good position.

Speed is everything when playing RU DDs. Use it to change positions, to get to flanks, to pick the battles that suit you, and when s**t hits the fan, run away.

And ofc, to dodge enemy shells.

I was mostly after hunting other DDs, providing some spotting ("some" because I can't spot as well as other DDs) ... maybe I need to reconsider and just do W and some A&D stuff and keep my LMB pressed :) I am not looking for a challenge but relaxing gameplay maybe this will do :D it might be the case when captain/me is just overthinking. If you say just press LMB and go fly... I really need to test this :)

[ONE2]
Players
2,498 posts
14,581 battles
24 minutes ago, gyrostabilizer said:

I am not sure about this. If we are going CE and torps aren't we trying to make a torp boat out of gun boat? Maybe if we go stealth and torps it's better instead just take IJN DD. 

Indeed IJN is always a better torp boat, but remember what I said about the amount of damage you need to do to a BB? It is easiest achieved with a few torpedo hits and Kiev does have quite decent torps, when upgraded. CE is always best for a DD (except perhaps Khaba), because it allows you to live longer and prosper. You will be able to get closer to cap zone, when assisting friendly DD's and therefore score more hits on enemy DD's, you will be able to get back to concealment quicker, when in a tight spot also (this is why I do not use AFT, even though I have a 19 point captain in Kiev). But once you get some more points from 10 -> 14, by all means take IFHE next, as it increases your damage to higher tier ships especially.:Smile_Default:

However, please keep in mind that you will have to take ALL the advice we provide here with a pinch of salt. What we recommend here is based on each persons own experiences, which can be very different and do not represent any abstract "Ultimate Truth" in any matter. We all conf the captains and ships, as we like them and use them a bit differently. I personally prefer more flexible utility builds, so I will be able to use a ship in more ways than just one playstyle. It may not always be the best way to maximize the results but it works best for me. You can also go for the MINMAX-build like some have suggested, which will indeed make you strong in 1 role, but limit your utility in any other. You are the Captain of your ship and ultimately the choice is always yours to decide, which playstyle suits you best. You can only achieve the best results, if you adjust your ship to fit the playstyle you yourself enjoy most, no matter what anyone else says after all. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
1,090 posts
14,212 battles

I took ce for kiev and recently khaba as well the spotted to gun range buffer zone is much larger that way and makes it much easyer to disingage if you get outnumbered you can still run and gun good enough

• Cool 1

[OSC]
Players
2,735 posts
10,303 battles
12 minutes ago, gyrostabilizer said:

I was mostly after hunting other DDs, providing some spotting ("some" because I can't spot as well as other DDs) ... maybe I need to reconsider and just do W and some A&D stuff and keep my LMB pressed :) I am not looking for a challenge but relaxing gameplay maybe this will do :D it might be the case when captain/me is just overthinking. If you say just press LMB and go fly... I really need to test this :)

You are not a DD hunter, you are a cruiser without a citadel.
Provided that in this game cruisers should actually be DD hunters, you know rock paper shotgun whatever, but if you allready want to play that role, you play it as a support to your other DD. Aka sit 5-6 km behind him, when he engages into gunfight or when he spots another DD, blaze him away. you have good enough shell velocity to properly hit other DDs from 8-10 km away while not sacrificing your speed / maneuverability to keep yourself alive.

Other then that, your main purpose is to be annoying bugger that will just pepper everything with his shells, and by that I mean literary everything. BBs, CAs, whatever. And pls don't forget about your AP, you can even citadel cruisers with it when they give you broadside, and even without citadels, you will deal a good constant damage per salvo on broadside targets.
There are few good videos (a bit older ones, but they didn't change much bar forKhaba) over past few years, so feel free to watch some of the lets say Flamus videos about Kiev and RU gunboats in general (most of them play the same).

And please, for the love of god, ignore the IFHE advice, and don't waste 4 points on it.

Sign in to follow this