You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrHappydiamond

IMPROVING WITH KIDD

8 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
1,382 battles

Im not a good DDs player, but im always trying to help teammates and improve my tactic. 

I just played a match some minutes ago and i woud like to have some hints/tips on how to improve and, if you can, tell me which errors i did.

Thanks

-MrHappydiamond (this is my old name, i used it trying to get my old account but i lost it. Do you know if i can change it? I would like something like 50ShadesOfNothing :P )

20181026_174341_PASD508-Kidd_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

[TTT]
Players
3,941 posts
7,767 battles

How to improve, you ask?

Go back and play the tiers that you should be playing, Clemson for example, and stop ruining high tier matches for your teammates until you've got some actual experience.

Name changes cost 2500 dubloons (or gold, if you also play Tanks or Planes), available through your account settings (top right corner here on the website).

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
961 posts
5,431 battles

Having watched the video

1) I think you could have used your smoke more and shared it with the Gevny at the start

2) At the end going into sight and range of the Massetusitts (which has secondary batteries) was a mistake

3) Missing that the Chapy was coming your way and probably was going to use radar on you at the time the Massetusitts was approaching  was also a mistake - you were stationary in smoke and were radared and did not seem to try and get out of there was the final mistake

There are a couple of videos on YouTube.

Spoiler

This is Notser's review

Spoiler

And Flamu's

Spoiler

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,134 battles

@MrHappydiamond From my point of view (not a very good player), most of the time, Kidd plays like a typical higher(ish) tier US DD, only with gimped torps, and a heal to make up for it. I say 'most of the time' as when you're in a game with aircraft, you can wreak havoc if you happen to get a CV driver that doesn't know about Kidd (sadly, from your perspective, most of them do).

With regard to how to improve in her, my suggestion (besides watching the videos posted above) would be to refine your skills a bit at slightly lower tiers first - maybe with the T6-7 regular tree US DDs (plus, I see you have Sims, which is also useful for this). Your aim is to get good with the US guns, particularly with regard to their arcs, which make hitting distant targets a challenge, but do allow you to abuse hard cover (islands etc.).

The main advantage of this sort of approach is that it reduces the hideousness of the opposition a bit (far fewer radars for a start - in Kidd you'll see them almost every battle), which provides you with a better opportunity to practice shooting etc. without getting instantly deleted with your first mis-step. Focus very much on using the guns (and associated behaviours, mainly smoke use, dodging etc. - as soon as you fire you, obviously, get spotted from miles away), as those are your key weapon with Kidd.

Kidd's torps are useful, but you only have one set (and no single fire, unlike Haida/Cossack), and they take forever to reload, so you only get to use them occasionally - hence the need to focus on good use of your guns (and getting away with it after your visibility blooms, so you can do it again afterwards).

Kidd does use many skills you develop on regular US DDs, but she also arguably requires them to be at a higher pitch than something like Benson might (because of her weird focus on guns especially) - hence the suggestion to apply polish to said skills at lower tiers.

If you don't have one already, a good captain helps a lot when getting the most out of Kidd (the hockey guy from the current collection would be useful for this - magic SE!); if you haven't got at least a 10-pointer, I'd suggest focusing on getting one pronto. In terms of skills, I'd go with a typical DD build: PM (or PT), LS, SE, and CE - the latter being essential. After that, the extra dakka of BFT is good (plus it buffs your already absurd AA), SI (extra heal), AR, and whichever 1-point skill you didn't pick. Precise order you pick the post-CE skills up in will vary with player preference. There will some arguments here (notably, should you take SI before SE - Superintendent gives you an extra charge of heal, whilst SE gives you more hp and makes each use of heal more effective)...

Take premium heal consumable at least - faster cool-down, and gives you an extra charge; this will help a bit if you're getting hit a lot (but don't forget that a lot of damage doesn't fully heal, so focus on trying not to get hit as much as practical). Kidd's main 'thing' is arguably her ability to heal, so you want to do everything to maximise its effectiveness (hence SE and SI too), and she's a premium - you can afford premium consumables.

• Cool 1

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

How to improve, you ask?

Go back and play the tiers that you should be playing, Clemson for example, and stop ruining high tier matches for your teammates until you've got some actual experience.

Name changes cost 2500 dubloons (or gold, if you also play Tanks or Planes), available through your account settings (top right corner here on the website).

Might have been put out in a much more polite and less agressive fashion, but he's got a point. You have a Sims and you're dowright terrible with it (no softing it out here for you, sorry, it is what it is). You have some experience in tier 8s and Tier 9 ships, but none with any DD past tier 4, other than your terrible results with the Sims, a single game in Icarus, and sixteen in a Nicholas.

You can't expect to not even have proper experience playing midtier destroyers, jump into a T8 (that sees T10 games all day long) and expect to be useful. Doesn't work like that.

Kidd is a much better destroyer than Sims (IMO), but it faces FAR tougher opposition. If you're that awful in the Sims, you are going to downright suck in Kidd. There's no other way about it, and reading half a dozen posts in a forum isn't going to make you a good player in it, nor give you, by far, the information you have to learn, by yourself, by grinding the DD silver lines on your own.

Simply put: You just can't play that ship yet. You don't know what you're supposed to do, how to do it, and much less at high tiers which are completely unforgiving for destroyers. 

If you don't have enough experience in high tier gameplay, don't use a high tier premium. It'll be awful for yourself (because you'll get owned) and for your team (because they'll be handicapped playing with a DD player who hasn't a clue of what he's doing in the ship he's playing).

That ship is going nowhere, it's going to stay in port unless you sell it. Just refrain from playing it and get more experience in the tiers you should be playing. I'd say at least until you have Benson fully unlocked. In the meantime get to grips with the DD playstyle by playing the silver line ships, and I'd add to that get some extra information by watching good players using high tier DDs. Personally I think the one who makes the best educative content for WOWS is Flamu, check his content on high tier american-style DDs (he has several videos of the T8-T10 US and pan-asian DD lines, which are the ones that play the most similar to Kidd).

But until you have at least a Benson yourself, and preferably not before you've already logged a handful of games in it, just keep the Kidd in port. You'll be doing everyone a favor: yourself and your prospective teams.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
1,090 posts
14,212 battles

Cant open replay since I am at work but Kidd is a very powerfoul destroyer, you can push caps and run things down and have awsome aa to shait on cvs trying to permaspot you espetially those that are lower tiered you can quite literally deplain them in few minutes if they  dont pay attention, that heal on t8 makes you unbelivably strong, you can shrug of that one mistake in whitch u got clipped and get back to fight or allow youself to burn and keep pressure on the enemy dd that will either die or run away crippeled beyond hope if they try the same its an awsome ship if you play it to its strenghts it can be a reasonable dd huner or long range/aa supporter or some combo thereof i have a fletcher cap for it with aft (mainly for aa reasons) that all said you do need to be profitient with "modern" us 127mm dd guns and they start at t5 nicholas b hull so its the most forgiving place to learn them

Players
6 posts
1,382 battles

Thank you all. (No, i'm not offended, i know i'm a bad DDs player) 

The main reason why i play Kidd is to farm credits as i found it in a SC. I think i'll start playing US DDs line to improve and maybe i'll play kidd again when i'll be better. Also sorry for the late respons but i had somethings to do. 

P.S. sorry for my bad english, i'm not a native speaker :P 

• Cool 3

Players
1,525 posts
13,323 battles
4 hours ago, MrHappydiamond said:

Thank you all. (No, i'm not offended, i know i'm a bad DDs player) 

The main reason why i play Kidd is to farm credits as i found it in a SC. I think i'll start playing US DDs line to improve and maybe i'll play kidd again when i'll be better. Also sorry for the late respons but i had somethings to do. 

P.S. sorry for my bad english, i'm not a native speaker :P 

Noone is good in DD's after only 200 battles. DD's need a lot of practice. Map knowledge, ship knowledge, enemy ship knowledge, knowing how game mechanics work and all around awareness. One of the hardest classes to play well at high tier. Keep practicing looking at your mini map and you will do fine.  

You basically play the Kidd as a gunboat. Lots of daka daka and hunt down equal tier(and even some higher tier) DD's. The AA is more than good enough to make enemy CV's leave you alone.