Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
__Helmut_Kohl__

Le Terrible: Short Review

15 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,384 posts
9,229 battles

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about this ship (no LWM review yet), so lets do a quick review:

1. Guns

Le Terrible has 120k HE DPM.
That is not as good as Bensons (B-hull) 160k, but the ballistics on Le Terrible are better. They are in fact comparable to German DDs. Z-23 (T8) has 98k, Z-52 (TX) has 135k.
So the base DPM is actually quite decent, not far from Z-52 with similar ballistics.

Reload booster doubles that DPM for 15 seconds, giving you 240k.
To put this into perspective: Gearing/Yueyang have 216k, Harugumo has 240k.
Yes, your Harugumo DPM lasts only 15 seconds, but in that time you can do 22.200 HE damage to an enemy DD, if you hit every shot.

Base firechance is 10%, so very high even with 5 guns only.
Reload Booster enables you to quickly set perma-fires on a BB that just repaired a flooding.

Gun range is 12.3 without AFT and 14.7 with AFT. (Khaba with AFT has 13.5, Grozo with AFT has 14.7.)

German ballistics enable you to work those 14.7 if you want, but they are not railguns like Khaba has.

AP penetration is actually comparable to Khaba at 10km, but I will have to do more testing on that.

Gun traverse is very slow, but EM (especially on the unique captain) makes it alright.

The gun angles are not good, but still workable, especially at that kind of speed.
In 1v1 DD fights they can be a problem however, as it will force you to show more side, which makes it easier for you to be a victim of AP or torpedoes.
The strength of this ship is hunting down wounded DDs with insane speed and finishing them quickly with reload boost. It is not a cage-fighter.

2. Torpedoes

They have 8 km range. Your concealment is 6.7 km, allowing you to safely stealth torp. You cannot torpedo ships easily from behind, or safe-torp radar cruisers though.
You can only use 6 torps at each side and have to turn your ship around to use all 9.

But they are fast (65 knots) and hit as hard as Gearing torps at 18.4k dmg. Reaction time is also comparable to that of Gearing torps.
Overall they are still good for a Khaba-ish ship at T8, allowing you to play it like a hybrid.

3. Concealment

At 6.7 you will not be outspotting anything at the cap, but you can still chase them down and spot them quickly with your speed, especially if you have RPF.
You can actually spec RPF instead of AFT btw, because speed and maneuverability allow you to work with 12.3 km gun range, even without a heal - if you know what you are doing.

This ship will never dominate the caps, but in the late game, it can chase down wounded enemy DDs like a mothertrucker and gun them down furiously with reload boost.

4. Survivability

18.500 HP (Yueyang has 18.400).

Maneuverability (rudder and truning circle) is inbetween Gearing(3,3s/640m) and Grozovoi(4,6s/720m), at 4,3s/690m, but your speed is mad compared to them.

When the speed boost is active, this is the fastest ship in the game at 53.8 knots and feels very responsive.
Even without the speed boost, you can reach 45 knots (with Sierra Mike signal ofc).

Overall the speed allowed me to Khaba around easily, even without the heal/armor.
But you have to know what you are doing to be honest, just like in the Khaba itself.

AA is garbage, but you don't have Defensive Fire anyway.
Your speed will allow you to outrun CV torpedoes easily though, even without speed boost.

This has no smoke.
That means you will have to rely on your speed.

5. Key notes:

This will never be the cap dominator.
This will never be the CV devastator.

This is a Hybrid that can play like a T8 Khaba, but trades heal/smoke for a main gun reload booster, which enables you to get Harugumo HE DPM for 15 seconds.
Main difference to Khaba playstyle is that you have workable concealment at 6.7, decent torpedoes with 8 km range, and can get away with using RPF to hunt down DDs in the lategame.

Is it a "good" ship?
The performance is at least decent and the combination of speed+reload booster is unique and fun.
But this will never be an insane carry ship, because it lacks cap control.

This is also not a beginner ship. Just like Khaba, it requires experience and awareness.

• Cool 13

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

Is there much of a reason for this ship if you have a Khaba with a 19 pt captain? Considering a new French DD captain without a tech tree line too?

I find Khaba armour and guns are so strong than nothing else can pretend to be it. Including the false advertised Universal Soldier the Grozovoi...

Beta Tester
2,384 posts
9,229 battles
Just now, Negativvv said:

Is there much of a reason for this ship if you have a Khaba with a 19 pt captain? Considering a new French DD captain without a tech tree line too?

I find Khaba armour and guns are so strong than nothing else can pretend to be it. Including the false advertised Universal Soldier the Grozovoi...

There is no reason to play it over Khaba/Grozo performance wise, especially since it is T8.

But if you want the fastest ship in the game and the only DD with a main gun reload booster for the lolz, it is fun.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,134 battles

Thanks for the review @__Helmut_Kohl__ - good show that chap!

I think I'm going to leave this one alone (I don't get on terribly well with Aigle as well), although I won't be vexed if I get her in a Christmas crate or similar...

[NWP]
Players
801 posts
6,577 battles

I bought it for the fun and play it 'like' Khaba - standing off caps with a divmate spotting, and helping out with damage. It is fun.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles
Just now, Mr_Tayto said:

I bought it for the fun and play it 'like' Khaba - standing off caps with a divmate spotting, and helping out with damage. It is fun.

You use AFT?

[NWP]
Players
801 posts
6,577 battles
21 minutes ago, 22cm said:

You use AFT?

Out of habit I tend not to use it on DDs, as I like being able to get away (if I can) with the smaller spotted range and I like knifefighting/contesting anyway.

With Terrible it's not an option for me (yet, at least) because I'm using a 12-point Dasha who will only inhabit French DDs.

Players
1,468 posts
3,725 battles

I don't have Khabarovsk, yet, but I've been having fun screwing around in Podvoisky of all things. I've had a surprising amount of success in her, playing her the way I expect Khab would play (i.e. open water gunboating, speed boosting and dancing around incoming shells).

Would you advise me against buying this ship?

Beta Tester
2,384 posts
9,229 battles
9 minutes ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I don't have Khabarovsk, yet, but I've been having fun screwing around in Podvoisky of all things. I've had a surprising amount of success in her, playing her the way I expect Khab would play (i.e. open water gunboating, speed boosting and dancing around incoming shells).

Open water gunboating at T8 is a whole different thing than doing it at T5.

If you don't want to waste that money, you should get into the high tier RU DDs first, to see if you can pull it off. I know some good players who for some reason just cannot Khaba.

If you have more money than time, this ship can tell you if Khaba is worth going for.

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
893 posts
3,175 battles

To be honest, if this thing just had two or three charges of British DD smoke, I'd be much less skeptical. She certainly seems interesting, but I have my doubts about her being 30€ interesting.

• Cool 1

Players
4,051 posts
7,560 battles
10 minutes ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

Le Trollible doesn't have russian grade ballistics to match long range shelling, she also doesn't have smoke nor heal to save you from screw ups. Also tier 8 MM is in... less than forgiving spot.

IMO get Kiev for tier 8 gunboat shenanigans

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
3,940 posts
14,134 battles

From my experience with those Terribles in enemy teams I can add that they explode nicely... can only talk from a Cruiser/BB experience though... although... I think one managed to straight-sail into some Yugumo torps even after spotting me...

So... as a small reminder: no ship is better than it's commander's skill allows... and certain ship usually attract very special commanders...

• Cool 1

[WCWVE]
Players
801 posts
12,259 battles

Nice review Helmut, I plan on getting it on 5th November 

Sign in to follow this