Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Verblonde

What to do with US version of Ovechkin?

19 comments in this topic

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,134 battles

I completed the Great 8 collection last night and now have the filthy capitalist running-dog version of Ovechkin, and was wondering what to do with him.

The Russian and dual-nation ones are (I think) fairly obviously suitable for the Russian gunboat DDs, as you can make use of both of the souped-up skills, but the US one is a little less obvious, although I may be being thick.

Where would the US version be ideally placed? My instinct is some DD or other, and not use the WD40 skill, but is there a light cruiser (or something else) that I've missed that can usefully employ both EM and SE?

[PK11]
Beta Tester
652 posts
10,215 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, Verblonde sagte:

Where would the US version be ideally placed? My instinct is some DD or other, and not use the WD40 skill, but is there a light cruiser (or something else) that I've missed that can usefully employ both EM and SE?

I'd also go with DD. It seems his specials are indeed best suited fur Russian DDs.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,402 posts
6,373 battles

Yeah...he's tricky. Does the captain gained with the mission also have blue tracers?

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,134 battles
Just now, domen3 said:

Does the captain gained with the mission also have blue tracers?

I think they both do (the Russian one certainly does), although you need to activate them - the on/off toggle is on the captain skills page, on the left, if anyone hasn't found it yet.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles

I will keep mine for the CV rework. Survival Expert will in the future add HP to planes.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,893 posts
6,228 battles

To me the US version, if you use the HP skill, could be used on DD's. 

Mine is sitting in arkansauce till i figure out where to put him. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,134 battles
Just now, Aragathor said:

I will keep mine for CV rework. Survival Expert will in the future add HP to planes.

Ooooo, that's an interesting idea - I hadn't thought of that.

Thank you!

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,134 battles

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I think I'll stick him in Kidd/Sims for the moment, to get a few more points on him, then do a re-set in advance of the new carriers next time we get a freebie reset...

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
640 posts
3,670 battles
4 hours ago, Verblonde said:

the on/off toggle is on the captain skills page, on the left, if anyone hasn't found it yet.

Thanks for this info. Since I did not know. 

• Cool 1

[GWN]
Players
50 posts

Best thing to suit for that Walls Street lackey is to waterboard him till he confesses is capitalist crimes? Or did you mean actually in game? Sticking into DD sounds good. His Russian counterpart is like other said good for Russian DD line, so Some nice US DD might be good.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
111 posts
13,640 battles

Thinking about placing him on the Nicolas, that might benefit from both skills. Could be interesting for another T5 sprint season.

Players
2,814 posts
12,775 battles

I got too many US Captains already for the ships that I actually play.

The REAL Captain Ovechkin is earmarked for mid-tier Soviet destroyers.

This fake Amerikanski imposter can clean the toilets in the Reserve barracks.

• Funny 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,894 posts
14,234 battles

Imo the extra survivability alone is worth putting him on a USN DD. Just ignore EM and go for a standard DD build.

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
Players
329 posts
8,484 battles
9 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Where would the US version be ideally placed?

The basic insight is that there probably is no "ideal" placement. Both skills are mutually exclusive. USN ships with low health are DDs and they don't need EM. And ships with slow turning turrets won't need SE. If anything, the closest ship would be the Pensacola, cause it needs any traverse bonus it can get and some players might feel the extra 2400 health is useful even on a cruiser with 32700hp. Personally I wouldn't say it's worth it.

So it's a universal captain that gives a slight bonus to most ships while not being perfect or any specific one. 

@Aragathor made a very useful remark. So you can put Ovechkin on DDs, BBs and even CVs.

Where ever you put him, you will only utilize one of the two skills. But that is still better than any normal captain.

So I think the ideal place for any special captain is on your favorite ships, the ones you play most often and most successful, that use one of the skills. If you already have the Halsey captain you will have Halsey work on a BB or CA, so I would put Ovechkin on the DD or CV.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,409 posts
15,160 battles

Extra 50 HP per tier of ship. DD all the way for both commanders

[5D]
Players
536 posts
20,988 battles

wasnt this captain supposed to have improved torpedo acceleration? and now thats been replaced with the standard improved EM 

Sign in to follow this