27 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
962 battles

I must say that i am really enjoying reading forum discussion here. Compared to the average forum on the net, contributors strike me as surpringly polite, witty (I always appreciate wit) and knowledgeable. 

So what is the reason of this post? I really can't made head nor tails of the huge amounts of acronyms employed here. Or anywere is WoWs we are talking of. 

while it took only minutes to figure out that GC was homey Giulio Cesare, or understand BB (but why?) CAs, DD,  AA and so on, but i still am puzzled with monstruosities like  DPM,  IFHE,. YOLOs, FA  and I might go on for days. 

Now, is there a place where I can read the keys for those? or they are to be painfully learnt alon the grinding? I just got the NY, i could make good use of some scathing acronym...:cap_horn:

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,497 posts
11,599 battles

This should have most of them: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/guides/wows-glossary/

Other captain skills are:

PT - Priority Target

PM - Preventive Maintenance

EL - Expert Loader

JoaT - Jack of all Trades

EM - Expert Marksman

TA - Torpedo Acceleration

AR - Adrenaline Rush

LS - Last Stand

BoS - Basics of Survivability

SE - Survivability Expert

BFT - Basic Firing Training

SI - Superintendend

DE - Demo(lition) Expert

VL - Vigilance

FP - Fire Prevention

IFHE - Inertia Fuse for HE shells

AS - Air Superiority

AFT - Advanced Firing Training

RPF - Radio Location

CE - Concealment Expert

Vor 9 Minuten, affondalaflotta sagte:

BB (but why?)

These are official navy abbreviations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

• Cool 3

[W-C]
Players
470 posts
2,000 battles
11 hours ago, affondalaflotta said:

while it took only minutes to figure out that GC was homey Giulio Cesare, or understand BB (but why?) CAs, DD,  AA and so on, but i still am puzzled with monstruosities like  DPM,  IFHE,. YOLOs, FA  and I might go on for days. 

For 'non captain skill' acronyms, these are a few off the top of my head;

DPM - Damage Per Minute (how much damage you can pump out in a minute)

DoT - Damage over Time (typically used when talking about flood/fire 'stacking' and trying to get perma floods/fires by triggering DCP etc)

DCP - Damage Control Party

DFAA - Defensive fire anti-aircraft (the consumable)

YOLO - You only live once. Basically a suicide rush. Typically a rookie mistake and rarely ends well... but those more experienced (not me) can do this at key points in a game to really turn the tide.

CL - Light Cruisers (being as you missed it from your list ;P)

CV - Carriers

There's probably more but I can't think of them at the moment.:Smile_Default:

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,399 posts
6,357 battles

Yeah, wows forums are actually one of the better forums out there. Forumites here will only really troll and throw insults around if the OP does that first, if the thread is completely biased and the OP blames everything else but himself, or if a question like "why are ships disappearing 2km in front of me?" is asked after the OP has played 7k battles. 

So welcome to the forums.

(Btw OP in this case stands for"Opening/original poster/post")

Players
417 posts
3,564 battles
14 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

These are official navy abbreviations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

Just checking: BC isn't Battlecruiser, it is CC? Or do other nations use different letters? Also, I guess that M for Monitor makes sense, but I've seen another acronym used before - BM, or something like that.

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
448 battles
3 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

BC isn't Battlecruiser

BC means Battle Cruiser (to some).

OP can also mean Over Powered

then there's ..

'Snowflake' a slang term used to signify idiot, complainer, whiner, moron, airhead (you get the drift)

also the WW2 favourites ...

FUBAR  meaning   'F**ked Up Beyond All Recognition'

SNAFU meaning 'Situation Normal All F**ked Up'

Ships …  Note: Ship Abbreviations seem to follow US abbreviations - I think the double letter designation was to make it obvious that these were for ships. Also, if you do a Google Search you will find US & Brit ship Abbreviations for different types of ship classes. There are also other nation abbreviations but US & Brit designations dominate for the obvious reason that these two nations had the most ships.

BB = Battleship

DD  = Destroyer

CA =  Cruiser (heavy?)

CL  = Light Cruiser

ACC (or AC) = Air Craft Carrier (barely ever used)

Players
1,462 posts
3,725 battles
8 hours ago, domen3 said:

(Btw OP in this case stands for"Opening/original poster/post")

Personally, seeing as OP can also stand for 'overpowered', I prefer to use 'TC' for 'Topic Creator' to refer to the person who created the thread.

OT stands for 'On Topic' in a similar vein.

5 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Just checking: BC isn't Battlecruiser, it is CC? Or do other nations use different letters? Also, I guess that M for Monitor makes sense, but I've seen another acronym used before - BM, or something like that.

Azur Lane (hardly an authority on the subject, I know) uses BC for 'Battlecruiser' and BM for 'Monitor'. Not that there are any monitors in WoWS, so you don't really have to worry about that one.

1 hour ago, antean said:

'Snowflake' a slang term used to signify idiot, complainer, whiner, moron, airhead (you get the drift)

[...]

BB = Battleship

DD  = Destroyer

CA =  Cruiser (heavy?)

CL  = Light Cruiser

ACC (or AC) = Air Craft Carrier (barely ever used)

'Snowflake' actually refers to each snowflake being unique and extremely fragile. Thus it's a derogatory term referring to people wanting to be treated as special and unique, while coming across as hurt or offended when people tell them to shut up as no-one cares.

CA is indeed Heavy Cruiser. CL is likewise Light Cruiser. The term does not refer to armour, rather to armament - CLs typically get 150-155mm (6in) guns, whilst CAs get 200-205mm (8in) guns.

AC is a rare term, and I've never seen it used on these boards. The most universally accepted hull classification is the USN one - CV for Fleet Carrier and CVL for Light Carrier.

With the advent of subamrines being added to the game, I feel like pointing out the USN hull classification is SS for Subs.

Interesting fact:

With various nations experimenting with different ship designs to give themselves an edge during warfare, in particular the Japanese attempts to maximise their air power in the wake of the Battle of Midway, we also have portamenteau classifications for various unique ships. The Ise-class Aviation Battleships, for example, get BBV and the Sentoku-class Aircraft-carrying Submarines get SSV.

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
448 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

uses BC for 'Battlecruiser'

If anyone who wants to do so, one can check on historical abbreviations for various classes of ship on Google.

Just type in a search on 'Naval Ship Abbreviations' or 'Naval Signal Flags & Abbreviations'.

You will find, if memory serves correctly, that the UK used 'BC' for Battle Cruiser (long before Azur Lane came along).

• Cool 2

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
448 battles
7 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

BC isn't Battlecruiser

Want to bet …. it was used as an abbreviation by the UK - the flags B & C were flown by British Battle Cruisers to indicate class/type - check your facts Centurion_1711.

(btw, nice to see Wolverhampton in the Premier League - Wolverhampton area is where my English Ancestors are from {Underhill Farm})

Players
417 posts
3,564 battles
1 hour ago, antean said:

Want to bet …. it was used as an abbreviation by the UK - the flags B & C were flown by British Battle Cruisers to indicate class/type - check your facts Centurion_1711.

Perhaps check what I actually said. I was kinda asking a question, as i wasn't sure. Context is everything, and that quote loses the context entirely. Hence teh quote "Just checking: BC isn't battlecruiser, it is CC?" I'll admit that is badly worded, but the context remains. I always use BC for battlecruiser, I was just confused as the article said CC.

Players
1,462 posts
3,725 battles
13 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

"Just checking: BC isn't battlecruiser, it is CC?" I'll admit that is badly worded, but the context remains. I always use BC for battlecruiser, I was just confused as the article said CC.

I have seen CC used before, but at the same time I've seen CC used generally for 'Cruiser', as in not being specific between Light or Heavy.

I think CC (as in Battlecruiser) might have been used by Americans, but as the yanks never really built any it doesn't really get used.

It's probably safest just to run with BC.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,070 posts
2,939 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

It's probably safest just to run with BC.

The safe choice isn't necessarly the logical choice - or the good choice either. BC isn't a classification that ever existed. CC is the closest official american designation you'll ever have for a battlecruiser because it was planned for the Lexington class.

In any case, nobody in their right mind would use CC to designate cruisers in general, as there was no such designation. However, CC has also designated, much later, a "Command Cruiser" - USS Northampton - replacing the older CLC designation.

And Alaska is CB, which stands for "Large Cruiser".

Either way, calling battlecruisers "BC" is about as classy as calling aircraft carriers "AC". If you use american designations, might as way use them all and use them right, and therefore, battlecruisers should be reffered to as CC or, for some ships that are difficult to classify and seem to be between CA and CC (I'm thinking, for example, of Stalingrad and the likes) then CB should be used.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
448 battles
2 hours ago, LastButterfly said:

BC isn't a classification that ever existed

It did exist, LastButterfly.  Check the facts before you blather off about 'CCs' and even 'CBs'.  The Royal Navy used BC. It even used the international signal flags B & C to indicate one.

2 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

As per usual, we can expect @LastButterfly to be the one to correct everyone.

:Smile-_tongue:

:Smile_honoring:

Except, in this case, LastButterfly   :Smile_child: is wrong:cap_rambo:, lol.

Players
176 posts
2,673 battles

Just to be additionally picky, they aren't acronyms - they are initialisms. Acronyms are where the initial letters combine to form a new word which then comes into common usage. Examples of acronyms are NATO, SCUBA and NASA. No doubt the Robot of Thread Fury will now descend upon my head.:Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
19 posts
4,095 battles

Just wanted to add that "CC" and "BM" could also be understood as CC = Community Contributer and BM = Bad manners, if we are talking in-game or even gaming related. Just to add more confusion to the mix :P But really, I think you guys are just barking up the wrong alley for the fun of it here, It is not rocket surgery, you know :P

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,070 posts
2,939 battles
18 hours ago, antean said:

It did exist, LastButterfly.  Check the facts before you blather off about 'CCs' and even 'CBs'.  The Royal Navy used BC. It even used the international signal flags B & C to indicate one.

If your eyes can't read a whole message let met repeat it for you :

I was solely talking about American designations. Repeating again and again "it existed in British" won't change a thing about it, for most people I know use (or attempt to use) the american designation.

And no.
In US classification, "BC" isn't a thing, it's ugly and amateurish.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
417 posts
3,564 battles
12 hours ago, SnailofDoom said:

Just wanted to add that "CC" and "BM" could also be understood as CC = Community Contributer and BM = Bad manners, if we are talking in-game or even gaming related. Just to add more confusion to the mix :P But really, I think you guys are just barking up the wrong alley for the fun of it here, It is not rocket surgery, you know :P

I think that is why BC tends to be used for Battlecruisers, CC just gets confusing

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,070 posts
2,939 battles
7 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

I think that is why BC tends to be used for Battlecruisers, CC just gets confusing

7 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

CC is also one of the main characters in Code Geass :cap_hmm:

And CC also means Carbon Copy (and considering that I've never used one myself, I'd have expected other people on the forum to raise that one first).

But it's not really a reason to employ a wrong designation. I mean, on its own, it'd be confusing, but if a guy just writes :

CC

you won't really get his point at all anyway ; while in a constructed message with sentences there are few contexts where you'd mistake a community contributor for a battlecruiser.

Besides, I think people mainly say BC because it's litterally the acronym for Battle Cruiser, juste like some say AC for Aircraft Carriers. I doubt many, if any, of those who use BC actually know CC is a thing.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
448 battles
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, LastButterfly said:

people mainly say BC because it's litterally the acronym for Battle Cruiser

Duh! Just because it isn't a US designation does not make it any less valid (not to mention obvious)