Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KapteinSabeltann

Has the North Carolina guns changed?

12 comments in this topic

Players
153 posts
6,701 battles

So I'm just going to ask. Lately, and subjectively to me, the North Cals guns seems unreliable and inconsistent. I feel almost more confident in my Bismarck guns then I do in the North Cal's. I am talking entire games with bad performance, and at easy targets - like broadside cruisers and BB's at sub 15-KM ranges.

I havent read anything of any changes to her announced by WG, and my personal experience with her isn't very high. I had a friend test her and he was getting really frustrated in games coming back supporting my experience.

I'm partially reminded about the issue with the Missouri where ppl started complaining about her, and WG dismissing it but the complaints kept piling on until WG started looking at her in order to see if something was indeed off. I don't know what the conlusions rgd that was but it sprung to mind when I was losing patience with NC guns.

Anyone experienced US BB players that can weight in and enlighten me?

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,401 posts
6,368 battles

Nope..I haven't.

I was actually one of those that "noticed" how unreliable missouri's guns were compared to the iowa, but now they seem to be quite alright. The only logical explanation I can think of is that I became out of touch with how to play iowa class battleships and slowly got back into it. Maybe the same thing happened to you.

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
239 posts
5,227 battles

They've felt unreliable for as long as I can remember. It was one of the reasons I never really understood why people kept saying that switching over to NC from Colorado felt like "salvation" or something, while the only thing I felt was that I couldn't hit a barn from the inside.

Players
153 posts
6,701 battles
Just now, Turnipsi said:

They've felt unreliable for as long as I can remember. It was one of the reasons I never really got why people liked it so much over Colorado which had very reliable guns.

Yes but now you are really far back in time. They WERE unreliable, and Colorado outperformed her. Then her gun accuracy was significantly buffed and she bacame an AP monster whereas the Colorado was getting left behind by powercreep.

[CATS]
Players
15,379 posts
11,039 battles
3 minutes ago, Turnipsi said:

They've felt unreliable for as long as I can remember. It was one of the reasons I never really got why people liked it so much over Colorado which had very reliable guns.

Colorados guns got their sigma reduced...

Patch 0.6.14, American battleship Colorado, tier VII Increased hit points for hull (B) from 50100 to 59300. The amount of hit points is now equal to ship's displacement. The sigma number for both hulls is set at 1.9, compared to 1.8 for hull (A) and 2.0 for hull (B) before.

NC is a BB. BB guns dispersion can troll you, especially if you are out of practice aiming them.

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
239 posts
5,227 battles
Just now, KapteinSabeltann said:

Yes but now you are really far back in time. They WERE unreliable, and Colorado outperformed her. Then her gun accuracy was significantly buffed and she bacame an AP monster whereas the Colorado was getting left behind by powercreep.

Doesn't change the fact that people still kept saying how amazing it was compared to Colorado way back when.

At the end of the day, it could just be RNG (and probably is).

Players
153 posts
6,701 battles
12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

NC is a BB. BB guns dispersion can troll you, especially if you are out of practice aiming them.

True, and I AM out of practice aiming the North Cal - mostly when it comes to lead at long distances. But thats not my issue. As I stated in OP - my issue is failing to do damage to targets at short range that have messed up and completely show broadside. And this being the rule not the exception. North Cal used to be a beast at that but now its like I throw a handfull of pebbles at the target being lucky getting a couple of overpens at waterline citadel on broadsiding targets. At any rate, only time and stats will tell for sure I recon. She just feels like a Bismarck now.

Players
4,051 posts
7,554 battles
14 minutes ago, KapteinSabeltann said:

True, and I AM out of practice aiming the North Cal - mostly when it comes to lead at long distances. But thats not my issue. As I stated in OP - my issue is failing to do damage to targets at short range that have messed up and completely show broadside. And this being the rule not the exception. North Cal used to be a beast at that but now its like I throw a handfull of pebbles at the target being lucky getting a couple of overpens at waterline citadel on broadsiding targets. At any rate, only time and stats will tell for sure I recon. She just feels like a Bismarck now.

Overpens at short-ish range of perfect broadsides is modus operandi when it comes to 406mm shells. If you can't live with that on NC, you might not want to try out Iowa guns, which pack even more penetration.

Players
153 posts
6,701 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Overpens at short-ish range of perfect broadsides is modus operandi when it comes to 406mm shells. If you can't live with that on NC, you might not want to try out Iowa guns, which pack even more penetration.

So I'm not supposed to get cits on broadside bbs - and heavy cruisers. Sorry but you are either trolling or just completely ignorant to the game mechanics...

Players
4,051 posts
7,554 battles
Just now, KapteinSabeltann said:

So I'm not supposed to get cits on broadside bbs - and heavy cruisers. Sorry but you are either trolling or just completely ignorant to the game mechanics...

Overpen happens when:

shell doesn't meet armor thick enough to arm the fuse

shell meet armor thick enough to arm the fuse, but shell runs out of ship before detonating

On smaller, or to be specific, narrow cruisers, like UK CL showing broadside at short range its not uncommon to score multiple overpens instead citadels. But as they angle, distance covered by shells increase, often enough to detonate within. You can't exactly find BB narrow enough to make that happen, but then battleboats with actually punishable citadel are bordering on extinction

[CATS]
Players
15,379 posts
11,039 battles
5 minutes ago, KapteinSabeltann said:

Depends on BB and distance in general.

Sign in to follow this