Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zhukov011

Realistic Mode

49 comments in this topic

Players
16 posts
1,025 battles

I know World of Warships from the outset has never been planned to be a Naval simulator.

But to be honnest this “game” has soo much potential to get to a simulator level.

I trully love this game, but here are a few pointers that up the ante.

1) Waves should have influence on balistics as do atmospheric conditions.

2) Full ship explosions.  HMS Barham ( look it up on youtube) 

3) Search lights, (offcourse in a realistic mode)

4) Huge maps.....Search missions involving carrier recon and onboard recon planes...lets play a bit longer ...lets try and find our enemies.

5) More sound effects like “man battle station” when airplanes are bound to attack you. 

6) Oil spots that spread out after sink.

7) damage modelling can be done more atractive ( parts flying off cant be fixed) 

8) After firing BB main guns the barels always lowered to zero to reload.

9) main battery blast bags should be moving when fired.

10) mining , mine laying, mine sweeping should be implented.

11) what i would really love is to be able to walk over the deck to explore the ship in scale, like a 3D museum.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Hms+barham

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
Players
5,441 posts
8,961 battles

And of course: Steering should be faster when going full speed and almost be nonexistent when slowing down. FUN!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
16 posts
1,025 battles

Yes....indeed

Just now, aboomination said:

And of course: Steering should be faster when going full speed and should almost be nonexistent when slowing down. FUN!

• Cool 1

Players
16 posts
1,025 battles

I trully believe this game has soo much more potential.

To have a simulator mode with much more realism in it is trully the way to go.

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
3,763 posts
8,474 battles

1. No, this would influence smaller ships way more than larger ships. And even capital ships would have a hard time in a strom.

2. Yes!

3. Maybe? 

4. Ahm... no. It's even now an annoyance when you have minute long intervalls with little happening

5. Why not.

6. Why not

7. Why not.

8. Why not

9. Why not

10. Yeah... no. Maybe on the edge to prevent BBs from camping ...

11. That'd be cool

12. Faster steering? NO! HELL NO! As far as I'm concerened it should be nerfed (for a realism mode).

[TTT]
Players
3,940 posts
7,767 battles
46 minutes ago, Zhukov011 said:

I trully believe this game has soo much more potential.

To have a simulator mode with much more realism in it is trully the way to go.

okay, then why don't you go ahead and implement all of that. Only gonna take you a few years, I reckon...

...ridiculous amounts of effort...

• Bad 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,891 posts
14,231 battles

I doubt many will have fun waiting for well over 10 seconds for a shell to hit at <10km ranges.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,893 posts
6,228 battles

OP, i'm all for more realism detail to be implemented for better imersion, heck i play on a 55 inch 3D tv with 3D turned on, but some of you'r sugestion's as mutch as you may find them good, cant be in wow's. 

I do love you'r idea for a first person explore mode, that would be really neat. :Smile_Default:

Players
3,876 posts
6,022 battles
1 hour ago, aboomination said:

And of course: Steering should be faster when going full speed and almost be nonexistent when slowing down. FUN!

Anyone, that has ever steered a somewhat bigger vessel will laugh about how ships behave in WoWs - and laugh about realistic proposals. The time it takes for a ship with a lenght of f.e. 120 meters to react is insane. If we would have steering anything close to reality, we would all be crashing into islands. permanently. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,940 posts
14,134 battles
1 hour ago, aboomination said:

And not to forget: No backwards sailing without tugboats...

Oh, all those BBs not getting the message and trying to get back behind the bush island they kemp behind.... *lol*

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
961 posts
5,431 battles

Not to forget the hit ratio of guns at range - 15 minute battles would result in little or no damage - so not much in the way of credits or XP.   The grind would really be painful for all.

I imagine that each battle would have to last hours - something that not everyone can invest their time in.

• Cool 1

[BIF]
Players
71 posts
2,051 battles

2, 6, and 11, i would welcome those.  Especially the 2nd. Plus, what i would like to see some day, some scorch marks on the islands. But, to have a realistic mode, nope.  Would be a forever match with realistic flight times and hit ratios. Just think about , i read somewhere that  Rodney couldnt hit the Bismarck from 3 km.........

[DAVY]
Players
476 posts
4,319 battles

do you realize how long it takes to steer a large vessel quickly? You can jam the wheel all the way to one side and go get a cup of coffee until the ship reacts. No thanks.

Players
22 posts
1,626 battles
Le 23/10/2018 à 20:49, Zhukov011 a dit :

I know World of Warships from the outset has never been planned to be a Naval simulator.

But to be honnest this “game” has soo much potential to get to a simulator level.

Good ideas.

Here's a cheaper one : removing those ridiculous smoke trails behind the flying shells, they look like katiushas' 

• Cool 1

Players
559 posts
6,904 battles
On 10/24/2018 at 5:49 AM, Zhukov011 said:

I trully love this game, but here are a few pointers that up the ante.

Reduce the models back down to the correct size, or about 20% of the current models.

Introduce the curvature of the earth so ships disappear to below the horizon with only masts visible at long range.

• Cool 3

Players
350 posts
834 battles

Yamato should have a explosion on death when sinking like the real one :D.

But plus one for most of the parts to make it more immersive. 

As in 2, 5-9, and 11 sounds like a really good idea.( for paper ships or ships similar to ijn warships, ie all plans destroyed, just around the outside would be enough. Stuff like Belfast and Iowa can have a more fully detailed interior for port)

that said more realistic looking sea would be nice(with Visable waves on it rather then a flat sheet)

[NKK]
Beta Tester
650 posts
6,491 battles
On 10/23/2018 at 9:57 PM, El2aZeR said:

I doubt many will have fun waiting for well over 10 seconds for a shell to hit at <10km ranges.

Those will go play WT Naval Forces.

Players
736 posts
8,136 battles
On 10/23/2018 at 11:12 PM, ForlornSailor said:

Anyone, that has ever steered a somewhat bigger vessel will laugh about how ships behave in WoWs - and laugh about realistic proposals. The time it takes for a ship with a lenght of f.e. 120 meters to react is insane. If we would have steering anything close to reality, we would all be crashing into islands. permanently

Ships in the game are more responsive due the scales is off and ships are 3 or so times faster.

At the same time, warships are extremly overpowered in machineri department. They are no way comparable to same size cargo or commercial vessel.

For example, it only takes about 12.seconds for Iowa class to go from 0.deg rudder to 33.deg rudder. And less than a 1.km of advance to turn 90.degrees.  Full emegency stop was achived in less than 600.m. Or in 1800.m for "easy" stop.

Even size does not really matter. WWI vintage Town class DD had some 1.6- 1.8 km of advance to turn 90.degrees. Almost twice of the Iowa, while being 50X lighter and 2.5X shorter.

If I rememer correctly, Iowa could turn and stop in shorter distance than Fletcher.

Warship turn fairly fast (while still about 3-4x slower due the speed compression in the game, but they will not take more room for that) Problem in realistic mode would be getting up to speed ( about 10- 20.minutes) and actually getting anywhere ( l would say it would take about half and hour to get into first Cap and 40.min to get into range )

Players
3,876 posts
6,022 battles
20 minutes ago, mariouus said:

At the same time, warships are extremly overpowered in machineri department. They are no way comparable to same size cargo or commercial vessel.

Oh yea, and thats where they get their maneuverability from. Its actually kinda interesting, when you compare the engines of huge RoRo- or Cargo-ships to, lets stick to Iowa. Wiki gives me 212.000 hp for Iowa. Then you look at passengerships with comparable size - Silja Europa, Viking Grace or AIDA-ships come to mind - they clock in between 28.000 and 44.000 hp. Cargoships again are a complete different story, since they are build even less for speed but to maximize economy. Even Tripple-E-class from Maersk has "only" 80.000 hp - and thats a whole different size compared to the Iowa.

30 minutes ago, mariouus said:

For example, it only takes about 12.seconds for Iowa class to go from 0.deg rudder to 33.deg rudder.

Turning the rudder and turning the ship / changing the course are two very different things - I had to learn the hard way. Manualy steering a 117m sailing ship was quite the experiance - and a nice workout. We went back and forth since we kept oversteering. Your rudder is in neutral for a long time already, yet your compass keeps clicking .... and clicking :Smile_veryhappy:. No other option but to turn the rudder in the opposite direction and hope you get it right this time. We were more or less zig-zaging as if we are trying to avoid torpedos. :cap_look:

• Funny 1

Players
559 posts
6,904 battles
2 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

Limited ammunition boys!!!

Where can I subscribe for this mode??? @MrConway

No ship is close to firing it's historical ammunition load in a 20 minute game.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,891 posts
14,231 battles

Honestly for those thinking that a "realistic" or "simulator" mode is a good idea, let me crush your hopes and dreams:

You are asking for mechanics (such as e.g. sea, weather and atmospheric conditions along with their effects on ballistics) to be implemented that have to be written from the ground up. In fact we're essentially talking about a complete rewrite of the game with only art assets retained but practically nothing else.

Also we don't even know if the current engine is capable of supporting such mechanics. Waves, curvature of the Earth, atmospheric condition simulations etc. could all be things that the engine simply says no to. That leaves two alternatives:

1. Develop a new game engine.

2. Port the game to an already existing engine which supports such features.

Regardless of what path you choose, you're looking at a development time that can literally span several years ONLY for the engine.

If the existing engine supports such features we can maybe cut development time down to one and a half years, though I would lean more towards two years.

Then you have to consider that this will be a massive undertaking in terms of manpower. Every game designer, software engineer, quality assurance tester etc. who works on this project will not work on anything else. This naturally includes current WoWs, meaning updates will be far less frequent than they currently are. New ship lines for example already take several months to release, taking away manpower could easily double that time.

Now ofc WG could just hire an entirely new team to do this, but it'd drive the cost of this project, which is already very high, way off the charts. I'm sure they could afford it, I highly doubt that they'd want to tho.

You cannot just half:etc_swear: this project either because that will make nobody happy. Having an arcade game and a simulator caters to two entirely different audiences. If you do something that sits in between, you will quite frankly miss both. The arcade guys will say that it's too complex, the simulator guys will say that it's a bad simulation. This makes the chance for profit extremely questionable at best.

However even if you pull it off, simulations have always catered to niche audiences. WoWs already has comparatively low player numbers that are currently neither rising nor falling, meaning it has largely saturated the market. For a simulation that number, and with it your profit, will inevitably fall.

So we have something that would take a long :etc_swear: time, a lot of manpower and a ton of money to develop while your chances of making a profit out of it are marginal at best. Have fun pitching that to the board, I'd be surprised if your job wasn't in peril afterwards.

• Cool 2

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles

The whole game foundation is based on non-historical mechanics. From top to bottom. Distances, apparent sizes at distances (a warship at 20km doesn't look, by far, as big as does here), movement, gun aiming systems, shell ballistics and velocities (shells take minutes to reach 20km out, not 15 seconds), maneouvers, armor penetration calculations, even armor layouts themselves (the whole overmatching "mechanic" in this game is pretty much made up, and the armor values used on most part of the ships, just made up to fit to the ship's tier, role, and class). And a long etcetera.

Essentially a "realistic" mode of WOWS wouldn't be a "mode". Would be a completely remade game from the ground up. Which nobody would play. I'd love a realistic naval wargame/simulation similar to the old days' TF1942. But that's me, most of who's here would hate it with all their guts ,so if something like that was to happen (that it won't), the queue would be of two. Me...and someone else who chose the game mode by accident.

Long story short: not gonna happen.

• Cool 1

[PK11]
Beta Tester
652 posts
10,215 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, mariouus sagte:

Problem in realistic mode would be getting up to speed ( about 10- 20.minutes) and actually getting anywhere ( l would say it would take about half and hour to get into first Cap and 40.min to get into range )

Haha. Taking her out from berth takes 3-4 hours to get sufficient pressure for the steam.

On a more serious response to OP: I don't want a simulator mode for this game.

Beta Tester
106 posts
387 battles

There would need to be so many mechanics removed and altered to make it realistic that it's easier to just fund a new game entirely.

Sign in to follow this