Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beltalowda

Advice needed, tier X and some spicy soup

25 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
29 posts
2,663 battles

Dear WoWs community,

I've come to you to take a sip from your well of knowledge. It has taken me many Years, but soon I will unlock my first tier X and yes it will be a BB. I don't like other classes much, DD's are too hard for me so I will always stick to tier V and VI only not to be a burden in high tiers, Cruisers are a bit squashy so I think I will pass on them too and since I was always a bit large then big fat BB is just perfect for me.

I do enjoy tier VII and VIII, Gneisenau and Bismarck those are my thing,  then I do a battle or two in a tier IX just to get a few xp and go back to lower tiers. So I have a few questions for you here: 

1. Is it worth it to go for a tier X ?
  2. How does one deal with Conquerors, I see them every once in a while and they are just too bloody difficult for me to handle, my fear is that I will see even more of them as a tier X and I don't want to spend money for therapist to help me deal with this problem.
  3. I accept there is a choice of ammunition, but when I do push to help support my DD's I burn a lot and I burn fast, I imagine I will burn even faster at tier X :). I can't really cover behind islands, can I, my job is to soak up damage, but how does one do that when you have 4 fires and waiting for your repair party to come back online ?
  4. There must be a lot of torps flying around at this tier, but I've learnt how to deal with them so them torps should not be such big problem, but yet again tier X is a lot bigger and turning circles are getting wider so I might not be as prepared as I originally thought that I am.
  5. The last question will refer to HE and BB again, since there is a lot of ships with high velocity shells and accurate guns is actually a BB valid choice for tier X ? Or mobility, fast reload and accuracy is way more helpful for your team then a big fat stupid BB ?

I will await anxiously for your advice and act accordingly, in the mean time I will go and have some fun in my Gneisenau :).

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,223 posts
18,530 battles

just a short general note:

play cruisers and ur bb play will improve, just as ur dd play. play dd and ur cruiser and bb play will improve. njoy hunting both down then on a bb :Smile_Default::Smile_hiding:...

+ gitgud on lower tiers. coz high tier gameplay, like someone else mentinoed lately on these forums, is unforgiving.

edit:

as u seem to do good on t8's u might simply advance. a monq is just a man in a rag, so do not fear em ;D.... burn, let repair, heal and start the flamethrower.

[DAVY]
Players
1,556 posts
9,162 battles

1) just play what you like, if you're happy at T7&8 by all means continue playing them, unless you run a premium account you will probably lose money playing T10 ships, and unless you plan to join a clan and take part in some clan battles there's not that much point really, apart from being top tier all the time, the game play can be quite static at times...

2) you have to concentrate the teams fire on them, if you leave too long they have a mega heal

3) there is a skill called fire prevention, which limits you to 3 fires and reduces the chance slightly...

4) yup, lots of torps

5) all different ship types have their +'s and -'s a battle with only one type of ship would be boring ;)

[NWP]
Players
4,017 posts
6,041 battles

1. Id probably say no to that one. There really is no specific reason to play it. Even all missions/campaigns should be doable with T8 ships atleast. From your writings it feels that you prefer to play lowertiers, then you should play that. Its still a game and should be about having fun.

2. Its very hard to deal with a Conqueror on your own (unless you are a DD or CV). Conq is supposed to kill BBs, thats why you have it extra hard in a BB against one. But Cruisers doesnt like it too much either. It mostly is a team effort to bring one down.

3. Never repair one fire if you are being fired at. If you are retreating, you might even wait a moment until you repair 2 fires. Get to cover first, then repair. It will prevent you from getting one or more perma fires. If you are constantly on fire you might want to rethink your position. Stay a little more behind and plan your escape route, if you are getting focused. If you play a TX ship however, you will burn LESS often, because there is a mechanic that makes you less vulnerable to fires based on tiers

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

read unter Fire chance ( Fire Resistance Coefficient )

4. You also got lot more HP compared to T8 ships :Smile-_tongue:

5. Depends on your playstyle. If you are bad with DDs, then you will be even worse at TX.

[WGP2D]
Players
183 posts
10,499 battles

If you enjoy Gneisenau and Bismarck keep them. The GK on T10 doesn't fit in the camping meta. A BB that dares to push in usually gets focused and spammed to death in a short time.

[CATS]
Players
15,379 posts
11,042 battles

1. The playstyle is different, some like it, some not

2. Shoot them with AP or ignore them and focus enemy cruisers and DD

3. Four fires are rare, unless you are in the wrong position all the time, skills, signals and upgrades reduce fire damage a lot

4. Not really as the reload times get longer, you see more torps in midtier

5. Every class has its place, DD usually need stealth, cruiser need cover or distance, BB are the only ones who can sail in the open closer to the enemy to generate some threat

[SCRUB]
Players
2,824 posts
7,574 battles
21 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:

Dear WoWs community,

I've come to you to take a sip from your well of knowledge. It has taken me many Years, but soon I will unlock my first tier X and yes it will be a BB. I don't like other classes much, DD's are too hard for me so I will always stick to tier V and VI only not to be a burden in high tiers, Cruisers are a bit squashy so I think I will pass on them too and since I was always a bit large then big fat BB is just perfect for me.

I do enjoy tier VII and VIII, Gneisenau and Bismarck those are my thing,  then I do a battle or two in a tier IX just to get a few xp and go back to lower tiers. So I have a few questions for you here: 

2. How does one deal with Conquerors, I see them every once in a while and they are just too bloody difficult for me to handle, my fear is that I will see even more of them as a tier X and I don't want to spend money for therapist to help me deal with this problem.
  3. I accept there is a choice of ammunition, but when I do push to help support my DD's I burn a lot and I burn fast, I imagine I will burn even faster at tier X :). I can't really cover behind islands, can I, my job is to soak up damage, but how does one do that when you have 4 fires and waiting for your repair party to come back online ?
  4. There must be a lot of torps flying around at this tier, but I've learnt how to deal with them so them torps should not be such big problem, but yet again tier X is a lot bigger and turning circles are getting wider so I might not be as prepared as I originally thought that I am.
  5. The last question will refer to HE and BB again, since there is a lot of ships with high velocity shells and accurate guns is actually a BB valid choice for tier X ? Or mobility, fast reload and accuracy is way more helpful for your team then a big fat stupid BB ?

I will await anxiously for your advice and act accordingly, in the mean time I will go and have some fun in my Gneisenau :).

1. Yes. The Kurfurst is a beast (FDG not so much .. i skipped him with FXP :)).

2. Conqueror ... yeah .... hard to counter in T8 German BB. Better just avoid him, because his HE spam hurts. :) Luckily more or less unskilled players are playing them.

3. Dont be over-aggressive in T8 when facing T10. Wait for an opportunity (for instance when enemy DDs are wiped out or are occupied with something else). If you are top tier, then you can play more aggressive. I run a "tank" build on my Kurfurst. That includes taking "Fire prevention" coupled with "Vigilance" instead of "Basics of survivability", since I use Jutland commander (vigilance buff).

** Also master damage control party. Dont ever ever EVER repair one fire. Fire damage can be healed, wait and let it burn. Same goes for CV dropping you. Most of times they drop you, counting you will use repair and then drop you again.

4. Be the second line (after the DDs, not with them). One good salvo can wipe out enemy DD. Constantly change your SPEED and heading, making their torp prediction fail. Use hydro wisely. And above all ... awareness. Pay attention to minimap and torps spotted by your DDs and react accordingly.

5. Yes its viable. Large HP pool allows for a mistake or two. What you want to do is ... be patient. Punish enemy BBs giving you broadside while you are protecting yours. Never ever hold your fire on an enemy DD below 10km. You can one shot him and by doing so you can save your DDs a lot of work. And again ... most important thing ... use your DMG control party wisely. I always let my ship burn and farm those dreadnoughts and fireproof achievements.

Btw ... this was not ment to be some "expert" tutorial, since i am  adjusting to BB play also ;)

Good luck!

Beta Tester
29 posts
2,663 battles

I don't repair one fire unless I just got behind some big hard cover and I know I won't get spotted or shot at for at least a minute or two and then my repair is back online again. One fire does not kill you, 3 or 4 they will. I will probably buy the tier X, but don't see my self playing it much atm anyway.

PS: Had one game just now with a Conq in it and I always choose flank where these things go, I feel like a well done steak right now and my disgust and hatred for these things just increased exponentially :). Oh boy if i had Euro for every time this thing sets me on fire I would have retired already.,  

PS: Thank you for your input guys anyway.

[CATS]
Players
15,379 posts
11,042 battles

4 fires can do a maximum of 72% of damage on a BB. Not enough to sink the ship alone.

Add repair, skills, signals and upgrades and it is far less.

Beta Tester
29 posts
2,663 battles
5 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

4 fires can do a maximum of 72% of damage on a BB. Not enough to sink the ship alone.

Add repair, skills, signals and upgrades and it is far less.

Is this assuming you are at 100% health ? Because if it is then what if you have taken 29% damage already  :) ?  Yes, yes, I have a heal, I know.

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,354 battles
59 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:

Dear WoWs community,

1. It is worth if you like the Tier10 meta. Its passive and every mistake could be punished with a ticket back to the docks but i personally like it. If its not your taste Tier7 is the sweet spot for low tier gameplay nowdays.

2. Manage your damage con wisely, use a tank build on your kurfürst to help dealing with fires, everything that helps you staying alive, because the kurfürst is the hardest ship in the game to kill, you should enhance it even further.

3. See point 2, kurfürst deals with fires and HE spam the best of all BBs (after Conqueror)

4. Common sense, minimap, hydro. Try always be behind a friendly ship so you will not be the first who see the incoming torps.

5. Yes, a lot of people play BBs at Tier10, every one of them is common and really powerful in its own way.

[CATS]
Players
15,379 posts
11,042 battles
9 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:

Is this assuming you are at 100% health ? Because if it is then what if you have taken 29% damage already  :) ?  Yes, yes, I have a heal, I know.

Then you did not get sunk by the fires alone...

Many people forget that and see only the fires.

You should equip you BB that you get only 41.6% damage with 4 fires anyway, and you have the option to set the maximum to three fires.

Players
559 posts
6,906 battles

I mostly play T7, but just of late, the last 500 or so games, have been at T9/10, lots more radars, the planes are seriously dangerous and everybody else does a lot more damage. As far as the meta goes there is not a lot of difference, skill level is only slightly better and the majority of BBs are still potatoes.

And fires on BBs are a non event, with flags, captain skills and modules, they are not significant. Torpedoes and citadels are what will kill you.

Beta Tester
29 posts
2,663 battles
1 minute ago, That_Other_Nid said:

I mostly play T7, but just of late, the last 500 or so games, have been at T9/10, lots more radars, the planes are seriously dangerous and everybody else a lot more damage. As far as the meta goes there is not a lot of difference, skill level is only slightly better and the majority of BBs are still potatoes.

So, I will fit in well :)  

6 minutes ago, kfa said:

1. It is worth if you like the Tier10 meta. Its passive and every mistake could be punished with a ticket back to the docks but i personally like it. If its not your taste Tier7 is the sweet spot for low tier gameplay nowdays.

2. Manage your damage con wisely, use a tank build on your kurfürst to help dealing with fires, everything that helps you staying alive, because the kurfürst is the hardest ship in the game to kill, you should enhance it even further.

3. See point 2, kurfürst deals with fires and HE spam the best of all BBs (after Conqueror)

4. Common sense, minimap, hydro. Try always be behind a friendly ship so you will not be the first who see the incoming torps.

5. Yes, a lot of people play BBs at Tier10, every one of them is common and really powerful in its own way.

Yes, yes tank build now you are speaking my language. i always enjoyed playing as a tank in RPG games. A lot of armour, a lot of Hp and in your face.

4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Then you did not get sunk by the fires alone...

Many people forget that and see only the fires.

You should equip you BB that you get only 51.4% damage with 4 fires anyway, and you have the option to set the maximum to three fires.

I am using flags and going for secondaries as the skills for my Captain with BoS active already and the last two points when I get there will be probably High Alert.

What I have

• Preventive Maintenance 
  • Adrenalin Rush
  • Basic of Survivability
  • Demo Expert  
  • Manual Fire Control for Secondaries
  • 2 points in reserve waiting for another two so I can get Advance Firing Training
  • and the last two points High Alert

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,354 battles
13 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:

So, I will fit in well :)  

Yes, yes tank build now you are speaking my language. i always enjoyed playing as a tank in RPG games. A lot of armour, a lot of Hp and in your face.

I am using flags and going for secondaries as the skills for my Captain with BoS active already and the last two points when I get there will be probably High Alert.

What I have

• Preventive Maintenance 
  • Adrenalin Rush
  • Basic of Survivability
  • Demo Expert  
  • 2 points in reserve waiting for another two so I can get Advance Firing Training

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0000100011100010100001000100000019

(i personally would use Concealment Expert (+ Concealment module because the camo prevent taking a lot of damage) instead of Jack of All Trades and Adrenaline Rush, but it is the ultimate tank build)

With the 2 Damage control Modules and the Heal and Fire Flags you are a really hard nut to crack.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
4,017 posts
6,041 battles
5 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:
  • Demo Expert  

Thats probably 3 pts wasted. I see you dont have Super Intendent - much better than DE. Gives you an extra heal, and for german BBs also an extra Hydro.

High Alert is imo a bit over the top. You would be better of using Fire Prevention. Somehow im not sure if that mixed Secondary/tank build is really the way to go. I was going for Secondary build GK aswell, but realized in this Meta its probably not worthwhile. Didnt want to respec, so i went with Manual Secondaries/CE/AFT as 4 pt skills. Havent played many battles in my GK, but i didnt have any problems with Fires (i usually dont have problems with fires).

I felt CE is really a must have in this Meta, also it lets you get into secondary range easier, or out again if necessary.

Beta Tester
29 posts
2,663 battles
22 ore fa, DFens_666 ha scritto:

Thats probably 3 pts wasted. I see you dont have Super Intendent - much better than DE. Gives you an extra heal, and for german BBs also an extra Hydro.

High Alert is imo a bit over the top. You would be better of using Fire Prevention. Somehow im not sure if that mixed Secondary/tank build is really the way to go. I was going for Secondary build GK aswell, but realized in this Meta its probably not worthwhile. Didnt want to respec, so i went with Manual Secondaries/CE/AFT as 4 pt skills. Havent played many battles in my GK, but i didnt have any problems with Fires (i usually dont have problems with fires).

I felt CE is really a must have in this Meta, also it lets you get into secondary range easier, or out again if necessary.

it might be just a feeling, but it seems like I do set more fires with my secondaries when Demo expert is active.

Just wanted to show off little bit, my personal best in damage done EVER ! :)

shot-18.10.23_17.47.10-0426.jpg

Ok, so I bought the tier X played 11 battles in it and now I have 18% WR in this ship. This is incredible, i never had so many defeats in any ship like that before. 

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
4,017 posts
6,041 battles
1 minute ago, Beltalowda said:

Ok, so I bought the tier X played 11 battles in it and now I have 18% WR in this ship. This is incredible, i never had so many defeats in any ship like that before. 

Sounds like me!

8 first Battles GK i played recently i won only 1 :cap_fainting:

8 hours ago, Beltalowda said:

it might be just a feeling, but it seems like I do set more fires with my secondaries when Demo expert is active.

Ofc you do. (or should do so to say, statistically)

Question is, is it worth it for 3 points?

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,402 posts
6,373 battles
8 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:

Oh my sweet belter friend...that's just how it is. Don't give up. Personally I didn't really like GK because of its size and poor firing arcs, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Just keep on trying. 

I'm gonna let you in on my dirty little secret....My favorite tier 10 BB so far is the (oh so weak, pls buff WG, such crappy citadel) yamato. But seriously though....you shouldn't play tier 10 just because it's tier 10. Play it because you enjoy it and that means finding a tier 10 ship you like. I suggest going to the PTS next time it's active. There you can usually test many different ships.

Beta Tester
29 posts
2,663 battles
4 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Oh my sweet belter friend...that's just how it is. Don't give up. Personally I didn't really like GK because of its size and poor firing arcs, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Just keep on trying. 

I'm gonna let you in on my dirty little secret....My favorite tier 10 BB so far is the (oh so weak, pls buff WG, such crappy citadel) yamato. But seriously though....you shouldn't play tier 10 just because it's tier 10. Play it because you enjoy it and that means finding a tier 10 ship you like. I suggest going to the PTS next time it's active. There you can usually test many different ships.

yeah, I am at tier IX Izumo and roughly  80k xp short of Yamato, it's an iconic ship and I always wanted to have it, but after this experience at tier X I don't think I will ever play it again.

Currently at 17% WR, every game is a defeat, I will try a few more but I feel so down that I don't even hope to win any game ever in this ship.

[TTT]
Players
3,941 posts
7,767 battles
32 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:

yeah, I am at tier IX Izumo and roughly  80k xp short of Yamato, it's an iconic ship and I always wanted to have it, but after this experience at tier X I don't think I will ever play it again.

Currently at 17% WR, every game is a defeat, I will try a few more but I feel so down that I don't even hope to win any game ever in this ship.

T10 BBs do take quite a lot of getting used to, fat slugs that they are

That said, no point in going through that experience gathering phase right now if you're not having fun doing it. You can always keep the ships (selling would be a massive waste of credits), play something else for a while (as someone already said, other classes! the fresh perspective really helps!), and try another dozen or so games at T10 in a month or three whenever you feel like it.

Players
1,709 posts
6,668 battles
11 hours ago, Beltalowda said:

Last 5 games in GK, let's see if I can make 5% WR in that ship, that would be epic.

See your damage spike when you use your Secondary? compered to when you don't? 

My i ask what Captain/mod skills you use? Because only one of those games you've lasted till the end.

Regardless you are using a brawling battleship which doesn't fit the current tier 10 meta mate.  Your gonna be ice skating up the hill right from the bat. 

Beta Tester
29 posts
2,663 battles
3 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

See your damage spike when you use your Secondary? compered to when you don't? 

My i ask what Captain/mod skills you use? Because only one of those games you've lasted till the end.

Regardless you are using a brawling battleship which doesn't fit the current tier 10 meta mate.  Your gonna be ice skating up the hill right from the bat. 

I have not lasted to the end, because either my team melts like a snow in a Spring or is on a full retreat since the start. 

Edit: Also, I have survived only one battle earlier, because the enemy team reached 1000 points fairly quickly. Not a single DD went to spot or even contest any of the caps. We had no vision since everyone was behind islands waiting for someone else to do the spotting. Majority of the team went one side and did not even try to win one cap zone, me I was spawned at the far right with one cruiser and a DD, those two went straight the way to the far corner of the map leaving me on my own with no vision. As it goes the HE spam from cruiser went on and i could only try to break the distance and do some evasive manoeuvres. When I finally reconnected with what was left of my team, they were already at 800 points lead. I decided to sail away and only hoped for the match to end quickly.

I do follow West Ham United so I am used to suffering, believe me I am, but this is a new level which I was not prepared for.

What I have 

• Preventive Maintenance 
  • Adrenalin Rush
  • Basic of Survivability
  • Demo Expert  

Tried a few battles today, nothing changes.

shot-18.10.24_13.12.45-0282.jpg

shot-18.10.24_12.57.04-0853.jpg

shot-18.10.24_12.39.45-0435.jpg

shot-18.10.24_12.23.56-0352.jpg

shot-18.10.24_12.06.17-0770.jpg

Sign in to follow this