Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Linkaex

Looking for a good T7 CL/CA and DD

56 comments in this topic

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
640 posts
3,670 battles

Looking for a good T7 CA/CL and DD to play. I already have some favorite BB's at T7 and I want to play some other ships at that tier as well. 

Something for the average players to also learn in. Can be silver or premium. 

My favorite CL/CA lines are the German, French and USN ones. As for DD's I like the USN lines and the Russian ones. 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles

For regular/silver ships:

CLs: Fiji, Shchors

CAs: Myoukou

DDs: Gadjah Mada

I've ommitted the lines you mentioned you already like, mostly on the assumption that you already got their respective ships on that tier or that you'll reach them soon anyway.

• Cool 4

Players
1,102 posts
7,416 battles

Helena and New Orleans are great Tier VII cruisers - although the USN line is a dead loss after that - and Minsk is a great laugh.

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,896 posts
14,234 battles

If you like the Helena you're probably gonna like the Atlanta as well. Both have very similar requirements and playstyles but Atlanta is much more extreme in that regard.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
4,017 posts
6,041 battles

Fiji is probably the best T7 Cruiser there is. Doesnt necessarily mean thats the easiest to play imo. But it certainly rewards good play. I think Helena (US CL) could be fun too because it has good firepower.

Personaly im not sure if Shchors is really easy for an average player. It is very squishy. I think Helena is more forgiving because the citadel doesnt extend so high above the water. Or you could try the Premium Boise/Nueve de Julio. They got a heal which normaly Cruisers dont have at that tier (except Fiji). But i dunno if you can buy them right now, you can check that yourself :Smile_veryhappy:

For DDs i would go with Gadjah aswell - seems very strong (but i dont have it yet).

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,141 battles

I'm rather enjoying Haida: partly because, well it's the Haida, but mainly because she's a lot like Cossack, but gets less hideous MM.

Only one set of torp tubes, but the guns are good, and she's pretty stealthy; the creeping smoke, and defensive sonar are handy too. You even have a secondary gun (!) - once in a blue moon you may even do damage with it, but remember to switch the thing off most of the time, to avoid it blowing your stealth.

Largely useless captain trainer of course, due to being Commonwealth tree...

• Cool 1

[NOCAP]
Players
329 posts
13,150 battles

For the CL's, this tier has quite a lot to offer.

Fiji would probably be the best all-rounder, she works well on her own and can lock down positions. Helena would be my other pick, she is a very fine ship, and always brings a smile to my face, but is dependent on captain skills. Don't touch the German Yorck - trash. 

For CA's there really isn't much choice to be honest, but it doesn't mean that the top dog doesn't exist - it would be the Myoko.

If you are willing to invest some money though, it gets even better, because Atlanta and Abruzzi exists. Atlanta takes a little bit of care and map awareness to play, but is very terrifying when deployed right. And the Abruzzi is the ultimate wiggle-wiggle speed demon with fast-firing and accurate guns. I receive a lot of hatred when playing it because people just have no idea what it is and what she does, as it is a rather rare occurrence on the EU server I guess. They just never seem to be able to bloody hit me. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,896 posts
14,234 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

It is very squishy. I think Helena is more forgiving because the citadel doesnt extend so high above the water.

On the other hand Shchors can spam at fairly long range while Helena has no choice but to get up close and personal.

Though really, if you play either situation perfectly it more or less comes down to how many goats the enemy has sacrificed to RNGesus.

In my opinion Helena has displaced Fiji as the best T7 silver cruiser, though not by much. The match impact you can have is hilariously devastating because you simply don't give a :etc_swear: about anything. BBs will curse your name as you bathe them in fire, cruisers just wither away in a hail of HE shells and both CVs and DDs better learn to avoid you quickly or suffer the consequences. The only thing that you cannot really deal with are top tier aircraft, but then again no T7 ship, not even Atlanta, does well against T9 planes and you at least always have DFAA to fall back onto.

She requires a far more thorough investment in both captain and player skill tho.

Players
3,878 posts
6,022 battles
13 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

On the other hand Shchors can spam at fairly long range while Helena has no choice but to get up close and personal.

Shchors is a nice long-range HE-spammer, thats true. But it lacks the capabilites to carry games, if it has to. It also comes down to what kind of playstyle one prefer. There, Helena, Shchors and Fiji are as different as it could be. But I´d suggest Fiji or Helena to play as T7 cruisers anyway.

Players
112 posts
6,108 battles

The Fiji, once mastered, is an absolute beast. I totally recommend it, but as others have said RN CLs have a distinct playstyle that it takes a while to master (not accidentally sailing out of, or sitting stationary broadside on in your smoke being two of the main points, as well as getting used to the smoke consumable being bound to the U key.) Expect to eat a lot of broadsides until you learn how to position it properly. 

With DDs the Jervis is great fun, but again the RN DDs have their own playstyle to master. (Hit and run/cap contesters). 

The Minsk, basically a baby Kiev, great fun and who cares about radar when you're expecting to be spotted anyway? Enjoy the Dakka Dakka. 

If you're spending real money/dubloons and like the RU DDs then get the Leningrad because it's a speed demon gunboat that also plays as a great hybrid DD. At T7 it makes for a great trainer for either of the RU DD lines; gunboat like a Khaba, or Hybrid stealth like a Grozovoi. 

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
1,090 posts
14,212 battles

CL helena, schors; atlanta

CA myoko i guess aldough it never clicked with me tbh; sharnhorst (no seriously)

DD jervis, shiratsuyu; haida

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
400 posts

Schors and Fiji are amazing, very different play styles so it's fun to have both.

Gadjah Mada is very good but I prefer my Leningrad.

With CE you can stealth torp and it has great guns for a more russian play style.

• Cool 1

Players
560 posts
6,908 battles

Abruzzi has quite short main gun range, limited arcs and relatively low firepower. It has the troll spaced armour that can stop most 6" and lower AP and troll torpedoes with 12 km range. It has a heal which is useful, DFAA and hydro which is useful at T7 for stomping DDs in smoke or for when the torpedoes are flying - and elevating the AA from trivial to mediocre. I play it and have fun with it, but it really needs IFHE as the AP seems kinda terrible. 

Best T7 DD is Gadjah Mada. If you are going to spend money use it to free XP up to Gadjah Mada, it make a mockery of every other DD at the tier. 

• Cool 2

Players
1,709 posts
6,668 battles

Depends if your more of a team player or not? After knowing which then pick the following:

Helena: Fantastic Support ship.

Fiji: A lone wolf.

Both are great silver cruisers.

• Cool 3

[DREAD]
Players
5,725 posts
5,206 battles
9 hours ago, Linkaex said:

Looking for a good T7 CA/CL and DD to play. I already have some favorite BB's at T7 and I want to play some other ships at that tier as well. 

Something for the average players to also learn in. Can be silver or premium. 

My favorite CL/CA lines are the German, French and USN ones. As for DD's I like the USN lines and the Russian ones. 

Yorck is finally decent so I would recommend her. Nothing gimmicky but with the recent buff to her shells’ airdrag she is a pretty solid and fun ship.

Maass as DD is fun and versatile but the new RN one seems a bit stronger.

Other than that Haida is great - and she’s Canadian :-)

• Cool 3

[FRDF]
Players
182 posts
2,810 battles
6 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

In my opinion Helena has displaced Fiji as the best T7 silver cruiser, though not by much. The match impact you can have is hilariously devastating because you simply don't give a :etc_swear: about anything. BBs will curse your name as you bathe them in fire

I hate facing Helena in my Warspite, not because of the HE spam but because I am aggressively pushing and Helenas keep showing broadside to me but I just cant hit that citadel... I kill DDs faster than broadsiding Helenas :Smile_veryhappy:

[ONE2]
Players
2,498 posts
14,581 battles
On 10/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, Linkaex said:

Well, since there are already plenty of suggestions for CL's and DD's I won't get into that too much anymore but as for myself at tier 7 I have kept Myoko, Atlanta and Algerie. All of them very good ships in my opinion. Well worth a try anyways. Myoko has by far the most punch for the buck, but Algerie is a solid and reliable performer (also long range and quite good AP) and Atlanta, oh well AA God and HE spammer par excellence, what else could be said? None of them will disappoint. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,079 posts
2,254 battles

For a tier VII destroyer, I'd recommend the Haida and the Gadjah Mada, in that order. Don't hesitate; take them both.

The Haida is quite simply the best cap contender and DD hunter out there, and she knows absolutely no fear. The Gadjah Mada has more alpha strike potential with her 2x5 deepwater torpedoes, and is better at setting fires. Both ships are great gunboats, and real scrappers - they will fight all comers.

For a tier VII cruiser, I'd go for either the Algérie (long range HE spammer), the Helena/Boise/Nueve de Julio (medium range HE spammers) or the Atlanta (short range psycho boogaloo HE spammer, Reaper of Destroyers and and Destroyer of Planes). The Fiji is also a very solid choice; her ability to dish out those filthy citadel hits amply compensates her lack of HE - if you know what you're doing.

"For is it not said, that when Thou sailest out in the Haida or the Gadjah Mada, Thou shalt give no mercy, and no mercy shall be given unto Thee."

• Cool 3

Players
1,709 posts
6,668 battles

I cant recommend the Atlanta until you are completely comfortable on what a cruiser is in essence. US ones especially...A support ship. 

It lives off good positioning, map awareness, shot leading, captain points (many) and it's support ability.  if you know your S*** regarding those then the Atlanta is a monster. Play it wrong and it's a one-way ticket back to the port. 

it's not a noob friendly CL at all (not saying you are by-the-way) :Smile_great:

If i had to recommend a first CA line to grind then I always point them towards the German one first.  Unless they are, god forbid, a real team player then the US.  

• Cool 3

[BODEM]
Players
103 posts
4,568 battles

I could very well recommend Fiji as a T7. Never had so much fun in a cruiser as with that monster, as some correctly call her. So many nights of continuously being MvP in that ship. One of the few Tech ships I kept after upgrading to the next in tier. 

Can't remember Shchros as well as I can Chapayev, but I could recommend the whole Russian cruiser line, so prolly would recommend her too. On the opposite side of Fiji in gameplay, long range support ship with good HE and AP.

Have only two DD lines above T6, but can reccommend Mahan, though there are prolly better options. Still she is a good HE spammer with a nice set of torps, although her concealment lacks in comparison with other dds.

• Cool 1

Players
2,814 posts
12,775 battles

My Tier 7 choices:

DD

#1: Jervis (I'm very very happy with the RN DD line - the only destroyers that I can truly say I enjoy rather than "play because I feel that I ought to")

Others: Leningrad (No reason to play Minsk);  Gadjah Mada

CL/CA

#1: Fiji (But beware! Although my best T7 Cruiser results are in Fiji, I personally don't like the RN Cruiser playstyle. It's NOT for everyone)

Others: Shchors; Belfast (if they ever sell it again); Helena

"Left Field" Choices: Algerie (nice guns); Yorck (recently buffed); Atlanta

Avoid-at-all-costs: Indianapolis

• Cool 1

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
271 posts
13,746 battles

From my perspective of DD/CL player:

CL: Fiji (great ship, maybe the best silver T7 silver cruiser in the game - heal, torps, great AP, great ROF, hydro, smoke... - universal allrounder and strong DD hunter)

DD: Gadjah Mada and Haida... both are great, Haida offers a set of uselfull ant-DD tools (hydro, single torpedo launcher, creepy smoke...)

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
1,090 posts
14,212 battles

Atlanta is not just cl noob unfriendly but to really make it dance you need to be profitient in dds as well, ie i got it 2 early and was a hairwidth away from a rage sale more then once, now aldough i rarely take it out its a different story, anyway it can rack up 100k damage in notime or die with 1k damage done, also its spawn dependant ie if you get an open water spawn in it, it really ruins your day...

Fiji is a great ship, i have a permanent camo for mine and play it quite often but it doesnt mesh up with usual cruiser skillset (and i dont mean the captain perks aldough that as well) its sAP ammo and smoke conbo make it a unique beast in its tier...

Schors can be a blast IF you know how to kite properly otherwise you are an usless xp pinyata, and kiting properly is in itself an advanced cruiser captain (player) skill, its quite unforgiving a ship...

Algerie is ok-ish IF you play it to its strenghts and its a one trick pony - use engine boost to get into flanking position and main battery booster to burst fire a target (ideally a bb that just used its dcp or an unwary cruiser that presents broadside to your ap) but while mbm is on cooldown 8 mediocre guns and nerfed reload make you well not usless but almost...

NO and indy are pretty much third line ships, indy has that radar but your dpm is just so low it really only makes sence if you are in a team that will exploit it by shooting the radared ships, you yourself will struggle to delete any in tier dd in that time its highlited and you dont have much staying power in the open water and/or focused so you are gimped alot in your radaring options, i know there are people that are really good in them but i doubt many will make them their first choice...

Abruzzi is rather fragile despite heal and aldough it can deliver some decent ifhe damage when not uptiered its queationable is it worth the money unless you are a regia marina/ historic fan, i have it btw...

boise/9dJ is good if you manage to get somehing worthwile in range, you need to know your positioning well to so that couse od range so its not really that noob friendly...

York i didnt play thar much, dont know what buffs they did but before it was well - the ship you need to grind to get hipper

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,409 posts
15,160 battles

CA i would say FIJI

DD OMG there are so many

NON Prem

Gadjah Mada (N CLASS DD) Warning 1,if WG have any sense this ship has a NURF incoming its SOOOOOOO OP Warning 2, torp cant harm enemy DD

Javis (Proper N CLASS) Gadjah Mada douse every thing a little better BUT this baby has better smoke and Torps that can harm DD

In my Opinion these 2 boats probably have the best DD guns at tier VII

Prem

Haida( Its a Tribal) Douse surprisingly well for a boat with only 1 set of torps good guns/smoke and hydro

Z-39 the 15 cm guns take some getting used to on a DD.. But those Citadel on unsuspecting CA's are great and torps are more than usable. Also huge HP pool for a tier VII DD and Hydro

Lenningrad Fast boat, Good guns ok torps, difficult to master.... Ow and she is fast

SIMS Good guns GREAT AA (still catches CV players out)  Torps a BAD  a hit douse very little damage and are sooo slow hitting is more luck than skill

• Cool 2

[PK11]
Beta Tester
652 posts
10,223 battles
Vor 53 Minuten, T0byJug sagte:

CA i would say FIJI

DD OMG there are so many

NON Prem

Gadjah Mada (N CLASS DD) Warning 1,if WG have any sense this ship has a NURF incoming its SOOOOOOO OP Warning 2, torp cant harm enemy DD

Javis (Proper N CLASS) Gadjah Mada douse every thing a little better BUT this baby has better smoke and Torps that can harm DD

In my Opinion these 2 boats probably have the best DD guns at tier VII

Nobody likes my Akatsuki. It makes me a bit sad. [Tear dropping from left eye]

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this