Ranger772

What do you wish you knew when you started?

29 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
77 battles

After 15K games of WoT, I had come to understand the errors that I had made at the lower tiers. Example: (1) getting the intuition perk as one of the first perks. (That was very dumb.); (2) not knowing which skills my crew/commander should have depending on the type of tank.

I just came over from WoT and have not begun play on WoW.

What mistakes did you make in Wow that you would avoid if you were starting over?

[BONI]
Players
1,087 posts
9,548 battles

''Heavy cruiser'' and ''light cruiser'' has nothing to do with armor and there's no point in looking for tankiness in a cruiser except for Alaska, Stalingrad and Kron. They're all varying grades of paper against BB shells. The survivability comes from hiding, WASDhaxing and mortar fire from cover.

Turn on full ribbons right away so you can get a feel for what kinds of hits you're getting: pens, overpens, citadels, shatters, bounces.

Priority Target is important to have on cruisers and BBs. You might think you're gud enuf to be aware of who's aiming at you in combat, but if nothing else it can tell you when someone is doing it from stealth, including from behind cover or a torpedo attack. It's an early warning system, and at 1 point it's a steal. Unlike WoT, it's not delayed.

For BBs: 356mm overmatches (pens at any angle) 19mm armor (standard plating on t5 BBs). 380mm does the same to 25mm armor (standard up to t8). For 32mm I think only Yamato, Musashi, Conqueror 457mm and Republique can overmatch it. Might be wrong on that.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,361 posts
5,279 battles
53 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

For 32mm I think only Yamato, Musashi, Conqueror 457mm and Republique can overmatch it. Might be wrong on that.

Only the Yamato and Mushashi can overmatch 32 mm. The rest can't as you need a gun with 457.6 or higher caliber in order to do it. The Republique and 457 Conqueror can overmatch 30 mm though, which is most tier 10 cruiser decks so it is still a valuable threshold.

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
4,281 posts
11,774 battles

For commander skills I often use this site. Though it's also a personal matter. With some most voted builds I don't agree because of the way I like to play. http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

What I'd like to have known then what I do now are

- when to load HE or AP

- spotting mechanics

- the importance of the minimap (at lest 50% of my attention ingame is on the MM)

- the roles of each ship class and the way armor is functioning

- the idea that the higher the tier, the easier the game becomes

- learning which ship upgrades are best for that particular ship

I'd advice you to inform yourself on said matters here on the forum and with YT contributors first. Also build up basic experience in Coop first. Don't jump into Randoms too quickly. The reason I parted with WOT in disgust after about 10 matches is because I couldn't find any PvE gamemodes. Driving 50 meters, getting tracked, getting wrecked by an invisible foe very quickly ran old on me. That chased me away from WT as well. So that's not a WG unique characteristic. In wows: start low, go slow. There is no need to rush the tiers.

I assume there is no "golden 1 trick covers it all build" in WOT. Neither is here. Let your own judgement be your guide as well. Whatever runs your ball best is best suited for you. In other words: it's much trial and error and building up actual player experience. F.e. "priority target" as a captain skill seems to be very popular with DD players. I just assume that number is always 12 (- x ships left on the enemy team). Whether I'm spotted or not and all torpedo's and planes are coming my way. That way I can never be surprised and it nearly always is less than that. So I rather take preventive maintenance as t1 perk first on DD's.

• Cool 2

Players
1,271 posts
9,653 battles

First off, if you didn't get an invite code, get one and open a new account, using it.

Second, there are certain quasi-standard, almost default Commander builds regarding the first four skills.

More on that half way down on the first page of this thread here:

Commander skill grinding goes more quickly than in WoT but you can't re-direct ship XP into Commander XP. Redirect it for free, that is. Once a ship is fully unlocked, any more ship XP gathered can be converted to Free XP using doubloons at a rate of 25:1, which is discounted to 35:1 several times per year. For that, and value for money, let me refer you to my Wallet Warrior guide:

Using direct Free XP conversion to upgrade Commanders is super expensive though. Best do it gradually and acquire premium ships, especially when Wargaming discounts older ones - unlike WoT, many have absolutely stayed relevant in skilled hands

The other thing which took me far too long to understand is the most useful thing about primary ships, which is sweetening the re-assigment of Commanders to other ships.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Retraining_Commanders

The best YT tutorials far and wide imho are made by a guy called Flamu, even though his mannerisms turn many people off. You don't have to agree with everything but his opinion is usually at least a very good baseline.

EDIT:

And of course I wished there a) had been a dedicated WoWs YT channel when I started and it b) had had the "How it Works" series back then.

• Cool 2

Players
156 posts
6,694 battles

Some smaller stuff is that the US heavy cruisers get improved pen angles and have super heavy shells, so dont be surprised if they get a few cits , when your angled in your cruiser that would normally bounce most ap. German 150s + get 1/4 HE pen instead of 1/6 . This based on gun calibur, so the pen of a german 203mm is 50.75mm, which gets above the 19, 25, 27, 32 and 50mm fresh holds that are found in the game. Compared to normal 203 mm HE which is 1/6, hits 33.83 mm of pen, so hits the 19, 25. 32 mm fresh hold. Some other small things is that RN bbs are almost impossible to cit due to a very low cit. German bbs have a glorious turtle back armour scheme, which means they are very good at brawling and not taking cits. Yamamto and musashi have pike cits, a lot like some of the RU heavy tanks in WOT. So you can pen there cheeks for cits in other bbs and some cruisers. T5 is the end of protected MM, so prepare for the full fun experience of +2 mm. Finally, the main thing that you should do is join a clan that is happy to help to train up and help you grow as a player. I was lucky enough to find one and it really helped.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
7,516 posts
9,742 battles

First thing you want to do is dig into the beginner's guindes in the newcomer subsection as they give a pretty solid basis on important things such as spotting mechanics (which is the single most important aspect of the game by far to learn as fast as possible), etc..

Next thing you may want to do is get a small list of Youtubers covering WoWs to chekc out on a regular basis. iChaseGaming is pretty solid for entry-level informations and he has a number of useful video guides/tutorials on important aspects such as how to aim, etc.. For more advanced informations and gameplay commentaries I can wholeheartedly recommend Flamu as he's basically the QuickyBaby of WoWs or so I've come to understand (don't play WoT myself so I can't say much about QuickyBaby other than I know him by reputation from the WoT circles).

One thing to note about Flamu is that he's basically covering the mid to hightier spectrum of gameplay (both tier and gameplay standard wise, he has a few couple low-tier commentaries but that's about it), much of which does translate well across all aspects of the game but only really works if you have the experience to judge the situations in where this stuff works and when not.

Both of them also do premium ship reviews/commentaries so if you're interested in getting some those two are a good choice of getting some impressions and opinions before throwing your wallet at WG.

Last but by far not least, find some mates to play with. You'll find that playing with friends not only means you have up to two people you can trust to have your back and with whom you can optimally communicate (TS3 or Discord for voicecomms is highly recommended), but even if your division isn't a game changer it always helps to diffuse the inevitable salt among friends rather than stew on your own.

Everything else really comes as it goes and many of the detail questions you will have down the road will either be covered by the guides on the forum or Youtube commentaries. And if it isn't (or you haven't found the particular videos yet) don't be afraid to ask on the forum. There's never a question that won't be answered if you just ask politely and want to learn.

• Cool 2

Players
1,271 posts
9,653 battles
Vor 21 Minuten, VeryHonarbrah sagte:

T5 is the end of protected MM, so prepare for the full fun experience of +2 mm.

Account level 11 is the end of low tier protected MM, so as the case may be, you can prepare for the full fun experience of being sealclubbed a lot sooner even ;-)

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,363 posts
6,033 battles

I'm another WOT convert; I've found that being fully au fait with WOT helps avoid a lot of the more obvious clangers (the equivalents of buying an IS-6 when you haven't got beyond T2, not using the mini-map, and so on).

The crucial things to know about WOWS could be deduced from one's WOT experience, but you'll go faster if you follow the advice already given.

For what it's worth, my list to focus on might include:

1) The Wiki (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships) - this does the same job as the WOT equivalent; if you want a single written resource, this is it.

2) Captain skills - perhaps the single most important thing to get right; I should have spent more time reading up on this at the start than I did, although most of my guesses were good. Each ship entry in the wiki has suggestions for relative usefulness of each skill on each ship (plus look at shipcomrade, as others have said).

3) Modules - read up carefully on what they all do, and on suggested builds (wiki is a good start); more so than in WOT, there are sometimes more viable builds across the various ships in WOWS.

4) The forum - people here are generally very helpful if you want to know stuff (rather less adolescent willy-waving than on WOT, in general).

5) Join a clan as soon as possible (one that'll teach, if you're new) - there are a number of helpful benefits to being in one, quite apart from anything else.

6) Premium ships - get some, but they can be freebies. Read reviews; Little White Mouse (LWM) is a good starting point - almost every premium ship entry in the wiki links to her review.

7) iChase et al. - I personally don't like watching videos much, but iChase and some of the others are worth breaking the habit for.

8) Set your crosshairs up right, and make sure you're showing a suitable amount of information on your mini-map (holding down ctrl and clicking the cogwheels top right in game will open up the options for the mini-map for the ship you are playing - you'll want to configure them for each ship specifically).

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,516 posts
9,742 battles
10 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Account level 11 is the end of low tier protected MM, so as the case may be, you can prepare for the full fun experience of being sealclubbed a lot sooner even ;-)

That's a different thing though. Fresh newbies up to account level 11 don't get matched against higher account level players, but tier I-IV has +/-1 MM regardless of account level (i.e.: soft protection).

Not that +/-2 MM is as nasty as it's supposedly on WoT where bottom tier tanks can barely do any damage to toptier tanks at all (or so I've heard). In WoWs the tier difference is basically just ship characteristics improving the higher up the tiers you go (few exceptions apply) but there's no such stark power-gap as WoT appears to have.

• Cool 1

Players
1,271 posts
9,653 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Aotearas sagte:

That's a different thing though. Fresh newbies up to account level 11 don't get matched against higher account level players, but tier I-IV has +/-1 MM regardless of account level (i.e.: soft protection).

Yes, but it has no protection whatsoever against veteran players, some with years of experience, using maxed out captains with skills most rookies haven't even heard of yet. (Or against OP low tier premium ships for that matter ;-)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,363 posts
6,033 battles

I've actually thought of something that you can't deduce from WOT: flooding slows a ship down, as well as doing damage (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding).

The reason this matters is that when you're sharing the love, via something that uses lots of torps (so, mainly DDs, but anything that can zap people multiple times with torps), you will sometimes be hoping to stack damage and DoT effects via multiple torps or waves of torps. I assume you've found the aiming triangle (the white thing that appears when you're locked onto a target with torps selected)? If your target is dumb (sailing straight and at constant speed), you fire your first torp/spread straight down the aiming cone, and you should score hits; if you fire your second torp/spread in exactly the same direction, and your first go hit and flooded the target, the resulting speed drop may cause your second shot to pass in front of the target.

Torps in general require a rather different approach/mindset to anything in WOT (if you've played the KV-2, or most things with a derp, you'll already have a handle on the basics of slow, ballistic shooting), so it's well worth spending the time getting the hang of them, and there is a lot to learn (not least, when *not* to fire them, as any torp that hits your own side is always your fault), but the slowing-down-when-flooding thing is easily missed...

• Cool 1

Players
156 posts
6,694 battles
53 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

my bad, guess its changed 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,516 posts
9,742 battles
1 hour ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Yes, but it has no protection whatsoever against veteran players, some with years of experience, using maxed out captains with skills most rookies haven't even heard of yet. (Or against OP low tier premium ships for that matter ;-)

Yes, but it's still colloquially refered to as protected MM due to the +/-1 MM spread as opposed to the normal +/-2 MM.

Kind of important to note that both those things exist for new players in the low tiers.

Players
1,271 posts
9,653 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, VeryHonarbrah sagte:

my bad, guess its changed 

Nono, I was referring to a different protection mechanism - the one were you mostly meet bots, even in Random battles, until playing your fist battle in a T5 ship or accumulate something like 37K XP.

[To the OP, everyone with their names in :colons: is a bot.]

• Cool 2

Players
4 posts
77 battles

Great advice from everyone. Thanks. BTW, I noticed no flaming on this thread. Is WoW more civil than WoT? (That's a rhetorical question -- no need to answer.)

[BONI]
Players
1,087 posts
9,548 battles
2 hours ago, Ranger772 said:

Great advice from everyone. Thanks. BTW, I noticed no flaming on this thread. Is WoW more civil than WoT? (That's a rhetorical question -- no need to answer.)

It's a good community that afaik skews older (makes  sense, it's a much slower game) but there's still plenty of raging toxic players ingame. Especially in Ranked, where you can lose progress if your team lets you down.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,516 posts
9,742 battles
3 hours ago, Ranger772 said:

I'm going to answer that one anyway as it very much depends on how you approach it.

If you ask politely you more or less always get the help you wanted.

If people just show up on the forum for an ignorant rant claiming certain things in the game aren't working properly (because they have no idea how the game works), then it's typically just a sarcasm fiesta. In such cases you have around 50/50 chance for the offended TO to call the community toxic because they didn't help even though the tone of his topic quite obviously never intended to ask for help.

So if you want to know something just make sure to show you want to learn and ask and you're guaranteed to get the answers you were looking for (or mayhaps not the ones you have looked for but the ones you needed anyway).

Doesn't mean there won't be some snide remarks from the occasional person but overall the overwhelming responses would be positiv. Hell, you tend to get complimented for being openminded and wanting to learn considering how many people's first venture into the forum ends in an ignorant rant on how their battleship armour doesn't burn or some such.

• Cool 1

[K-P-M]
[K-P-M]
Players
330 posts
2,179 battles

Sticking to low tiers much longer.........that´s in fact something i need to do nowadays...but i wish i had known when i started....it´s just too tempting to rush through lower tiers because  significantly less matches need to be won down there ( to advance to higher tiers. )

TL;DR

got my as* handed to me when i reached t6 :Smile_veryhappy: 

[FRDF]
Players
182 posts
2,810 battles

I wish that I knew back then that I could move the captain to the next ship in line... I always "bought" a new captain with 3 skill points :D

Oh and that Target Acquisition System Modification 1 is totally useless when Concealment System Modification 1 exists and is just better in every ship.

[BLUMR]
Players
57 posts
5,486 battles

I wish I knew how detailed and extensive the Wiki was..

I can tell you transferring from WoT console to warships is one hell of a step up in game play and knowledge sense! Knowing how much AA stuff has to Armour, secondaries. and Concealment. All the way down to what ships have torpedoes and their ranges. You eventually learn it but i had difficulty remembering and still do. :fish_nerv:
(Only just learned the Donskoi has 8k Torps not 4km like everything else in the line. When I played her I figured it out... 3k battles into my Career.) :Smile_hiding:

[BONI]
Players
1,087 posts
9,548 battles

There are 4 sections on a ship that can be set on fire and you actually have to hit them. I kind of assumed shooting the ship anywhere was enough to generate new fires. The 4 sections become 3 with Fire Prevention. Also, the tier of the ship denotes fire resistance - your 8% fire chance is only 4% against T10 targets.

Because of the way AP shells work, having almost no armor like a DD or early French cruisers can work in your favor - if you broadside. Angling is exactly what you don't do in those ships.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,363 posts
6,033 battles

Another thing that may not be obvious, and isn't game-play related, yet rather useful to know: with collections (such as the current hockey one), only use duplicates to buy missing things when you'll complete the collection by doing so.

Taking the current one as an example: it has three sections, each with four things in them, so twelve things to collect in total. The first time you get a thing for the collection you have a 100% chance of it being useful, by definition; the second one has an 11 in 12 chance of being useful (and a 1 in 12 chance of being a duplicate), and so on. Say you've got to the point of having nine things collected, and ten duplicates; in the current collection, those ten dups will buy you two of the missing three things. If you don't spend the dups yet, you have a 3 in 12 chance of subsequent things dropped from crates being useful, whereas spending the ten dups right away will reduce that chance to 1 in 12.

The only exception to this 'rule' might be when each stage of the collection yields something very useful, that you can't wait for (for example, the anniversary ones yield permanent cammos that save you quite a bit of doubloons); one still needs to weigh the usefulness of the reward against the reduced probability of getting something useful in future drops.

Also regarding collections: when you have more than one available where elements can drop from regular crates (like the hockey one), you need the collect toggle for that collection to be enabled, and you can only have one collection enabled in this way at once.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,970 posts
23,154 battles

I would say that one thing that is not necessaraily taught is what to spend money on in order to benefit most and also captain management (skill and moving captains).

If you enjoy the game the game are more fun and easily progressed through with some money spending, and what to spend on is also much dependant of long vs shortterm etc commitment.

Now, you have far more to spend on than before when I started playing. All different resources, some free, some for real money.

Different tiers for premiums, the game has matured which also would hav emake the tactics which I used less good today.