_Montagne

RN DD Captain Builds

24 comments in this topic

[RAGE]
Players
42 posts
10,843 battles

Whats the most useful captain build to use on Daring/Jutland?

Do I use IFHE?

Do I make a gunboat?

Do I make a torpedo boat?

What points should I pick?

Screenshot (294).png

[ARYA]
Players
427 posts
8,778 battles

i think they are the ultimate DD hunter so they should spec into gunboat 

i had a 16 point captain on my mino assigned to Jervis

this is my build

PT LS AR SE CE IFHE but giving up RPF is against her role as a DD hunter.

this is Flamu's build after AP buff

PT LS BFT CE AR SI RPF

but you have to rely on AP 

using the special commander for shorter smoke reload you need to spec to JAOT too

still i am searching for better build

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles

I run this spec on the Daring:

Y3ZFjWn.png

I genuinely believe this is the best spec by far because of the very high damage potential

[ADRIA]
Players
387 posts
11,031 battles

I don't see the point of Priority target on DDs. Once you are spotted you know everyone will shoot you. Better option in my mind is preventive maintenance for 1 point perk(cpt skill) 

2 pointers are straight forward, two skills that are a must have on any DD: adrenaline rush and last stand

3 pointers, well survivability expert for sure, other one depends on your playstyle. SI if you tend to last till the end, BFT if you want more dakka, or torpedo reload if you want more fishes in the water... it's all up to you

4 pointers, well concealment is i must and I run RPF on all my DDs 

• Cool 2

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles
27 minutes ago, quickr said:

I don't see the point of Priority target on DDs. Once you are spotted you know everyone will shoot you. Better option in my mind is preventive maintenance for 1 point perk(cpt skill) 

2 pointers are straight forward, two skills that are a must have on any DD: adrenaline rush and last stand

3 pointers, well survivability expert for sure, other one depends on your playstyle. SI if you tend to last till the end, BFT if you want more dakka, or torpedo reload if you want more fishes in the water... it's all up to you

4 pointers, well concealment is i must and I run RPF on all my DDs 

You couldn't be more wrong about priority target.

Priority target helps you asses whether or not to smoke. For example, when fighting another DD, if you have PT, you can accurately asses how many people are looking your way. If it's just 2 for example (the DD you are fighting and just one other ship) then it might be worth to press the attack. If it's 4 then you probably want to smoke.

It also helps with knowing exactly how many ships are on a flank. If you can only see 3 ships but PT is showing 5 then you know 2 enemy ships are unspotted.

Lastly, in knife fights with other DDs it helps you know exactly when they fire their torpedoes as PT only works on the main battery.

3 point skills, as you said, SE is mandatory then, I guess you could potentially take one of the other skills but none give you as much damage potential as BFT and because of the smoke duration you do want to push out as much dmg as possible in the 40s we have. I would rate the skills as follows: BFT -> SI (for the extra heal) -> TAE/DE

Also giving up IFHE for RL as a 4 point skill is completely not worth it. It's not even debatable. IFHE is a much better choice on RN DDs.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
387 posts
11,031 battles

@_Teob_

"Couldn't be more wrong" A person is either wrong or he is not, how can you be more wrong? 

While I agree that some people tend to struggle with map awareness I'm not one of them. Also, your other point about knowing if you are being torped or not. I guess when you are in a knife fight with another DD, that close, if he gives you broadside you can be fairly sure he is torping you. Besides RN DDs have that cute little thing called hydro. All that being said, I still firmly believe that preventive maintenance if more useful skill than priority target. 

Also I'm not forcing nor convincing anyone that my build is THE ULTIMATE build, I'm merely offering suggestions, it's up to OP to listen to them or not. I couldn't care less. 

Considering 3 point cpt skills, It's up to each individual person to decide, based on their game play which they find most useful. Survivability expert is mandatory for a DD, other one, well it's up to player i guess. 

I can't 100% claim that taking RPF over IFHE is good choice as i haven't yet unlocked jutland/daring. I can only comment on what i've read/seen so far. And some general consensus was shoot AP at DDs, and try to burn down BBs. 

I might be wrong on that point, but untill i try it for myself i'll stick with RPF option. 

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles
30 minutes ago, quickr said:

"Couldn't be more wrong" A person is either wrong or he is not, how can you be more wrong? 

While I agree that some people tend to struggle with map awareness I'm not one of them. Also, your other point about knowing if you are being torped or not. I guess when you are in a knife fight with another DD, that close, if he gives you broadside you can be fairly sure he is torping you. Besides RN DDs have that cute little thing called hydro. All that being said, I still firmly believe that preventive maintenance if more useful skill than priority target. 

Also I'm not forcing nor convincing anyone that my build is THE ULTIMATE build, I'm merely offering suggestions, it's up to OP to listen to them or not. I couldn't care less. 

Considering 3 point cpt skills, It's up to each individual person to decide, based on their game play which they find most useful. Survivability expert is mandatory for a DD, other one, well it's up to player i guess. 

I can't 100% claim that taking RPF over IFHE is good choice as i haven't yet unlocked jutland/daring. I can only comment on what i've read/seen so far. And some general consensus was shoot AP at DDs, and try to burn down BBs. 

I might be wrong on that point, but untill i try it for myself i'll stick with RPF option. 

It's just an expression - a superlative if you will. It's just commonly used to in situations where you want to emphasize disagreement or comparative when the situation calls for it (e.g. drunk driving is wrong but doing it while drunk and high is even more wrong)

This is a good explanation, I think.

And map awareness cannot help you with what is impossible to know (e.g. how many ships are unspotted on a flank). Nor does it cover my first point about knowing exactly how many people are targeting you which allows you to make decisions that you simply cannot make without PT.

I genuinely think that PT is one of the essential skills to have on any DD that plans to fire its guns.

I use PM only on the Shima because I mostly just want to run away .

3 pointers like I said, are debatable. My own estimation is above but I assume any of the other choices would work as well to a certain extent.

Relying on AP is not a good idea. It really isn't. I have like 50+ matches in the Daring and I have come across other Darings that didn't have IFHE and I ate them alive.

And firing HE at BBs just for fires isn't worth it. The HE damage is a big component of the damage.

And of course nobody is forcing anyone to do anything - we are just debating the benefits of the different choices. That's the whole point of a forum.

:Smile_smile:

[ADRIA]
Players
387 posts
11,031 battles

@_Teob_

I honestly don't consider priority target a "life saving" cpt skill, not as much as I find preventive maintenance to be.  

Considering IFHE I'll just have to wait and see for myself. Just finishing Jervis grind, soon to unlock Lighting. Soon enough i'll have jutland and daring so I can test it myself :cap_rambo:

"More wrong thingy", i was just pulling your leg, no hard feelings I hope :Smile_child:

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
387 posts
11,031 battles

Teob will say yes, i Would say No... wait for third opinion :Smile_teethhappy:

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles
36 minutes ago, quickr said:

Teob will say yes, i Would say No... wait for third opinion :Smile_teethhappy:

With all due respect, it's not really fair to make it seem like both our positions are equal.

I have played the Daring 52 times. I have tested a build without IFHE and found it to be lacking. You have not played either the Gearing Daring or the Jutland by your own admission.

I am not trying to force my build down anyone's throat nor am I trying to discount anyone's opinion. However putting a tested build with an opinion on equal footing is simply not fair.

A fair way to represent this would be "Teob has tested an IFHE build with good results but I am of the opinion that it's not needed despite not having played the ship yet".

As evidence, I submit the results that I have achieved with my IFHE spec below. All solo matches. Base size is still very small but I have enough experience with t10 DDs to be able to confidently state that I don't think I will drop below 105k average damage and 65% solo win rate with the spec I linked above.

4U9UG27.png

I would honestly not argue the point again if it didn't cost doubloons to respec. By not standing up for something that I have tested myself already, it might cost other people hard earned money.

edit:

to be clear, do I think that a build without IFHE could work? Yes, I think it could.

Do I think it is optimal? No. I consider IFHE to be almost mandatory. I would take it at 14 points 100% (after CE).

[ADRIA]
Players
387 posts
11,031 battles
4 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

You have not played either the Gearing or the Jutland by your own admission.

Daring*

4 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

"Teob has tested and IFHE with good results but I am of the opinion that it's not needed despite not having played the ship yet".

You are absolutely right. That would be a serious comment, me putting a smiley face at the end hinted i was not being serious tho.

7 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

I would honestly not argue the point again if it didn't cost doubloons to respec.

One can also spend elite cpt Xp to respecc. 

Siramra could have easily read our previous conversation and came to his own conclusion. Should I trust a guy that actually played Daring and talks out of first hand experience or should i go with the guy that talks "out of his arse". It's up to him. There is a certain charm in trying different builds. 

With all due respect, your word is not the law and a player should make up his own mind after gathering all the info on said subject. 

For someone who doesn't want to force his opinion/cpt build you do try really really hard mate. Just saying. 

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
590 posts

@quickr

I'm already different from Your builds. I kinda found my way and style. :Smile_Default:

But some blantantly stick to the AP on them are best, no need for IFHE.

But here is a guy that rly thinks IFHE is important. So I wanted to know.

A little wider sample Collection before making my desition.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles
9 minutes ago, quickr said:

[...]

With all due respect, your word is not the law and a player should make up his own mind after gathering all the info on said subject. 

For someone who doesn't want to force his opinion/cpt build you do try really really hard mate. Just saying. 

No, look, I really am not. All I care is for people to be fully informed after asking a question on the forum.

If they know what they are potentially getting into then yeah sure, by all means, experiment or run goofy specs or whatever. I do it as well.

I am sorry but I didn't realize you were being disingenuous there.

What reason could I possibly have to force my opinions on any of you? Theoretically, it's in my favor for every single person reading this to run a sub-optimal spec as I will probably run into some of you in battle.

At the end of the day, if people have enough captain elite XP (or doubloons), I would encourage everyone to experiment - that is a fair and totally valid point.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
387 posts
11,031 battles
8 minutes ago, siramra said:

I'm already different from Your builds. I kinda found my way and style.

And that's how it should work... You read my comments than you read @_Teob_ comments, you play said ship yourself and make up your own mind. 

There is no "one ship build to rule them all". There are ships builds that suit each player's play style. there are optimal builds and than there are less optimal, which one you'll pick is up to you and that is perfectly fine. 

Besides we mostly use those ships in randoms, who cares about randoms anyway. It's all about fun in the end. :Smile_child: 

Don't take IFHE

:Smile_teethhappy:

Players
84 posts
3,758 battles

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with the Daring currently...I'm at around 10 battles and nothing seems to click when playing it...I have a 17 point captain with IFHE (or at least I think i still do, may have respec'd to test) but anyway...my damage is low and I get caught with my pants down when American CA's like DM\ Wor etc...are around with their long lasting radar that they have pretty much when only just spotted...

As this ship is sooooooooo slow 36.8 (with flag) it's difficult to survive once they radar you...and then the team all see and shoot at you.

Is it that I need to wait longer before trying to push a cap or spot?

Thanks,

[ADRIA]
Players
387 posts
11,031 battles

Sounds to me you are struggling more with actual DD game play on high tiers rather than ship (Daring) itself. 

Map awareness is everything. Count enemy radar ships, see where they are going, don't rush blindly into caps, always have exit strategy, if you are not supported don't go into cap... just a few tips from top of my head.... 

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles

Yeah, the RN DDs are not that much slower than the Gearing. And that's been around for ages.

Radar is a pain but it shouldn't be the main thing stopping you from doing damage.

Where the speed factor does come into play is that if you didn't position yourself correctly then you can wind up with 20k dmg at the end of the match simply because you were on the wrong flank.

Beta Tester
2,079 posts
2,254 battles

Good skill tips from everyone, much appreciated!

My two cents on the RN DD/cruiser skill build

In the face of overwhelming opinions to the contrary...

... I tend to go for 'Expert Marksman' instead of 'Adrenaline Rush' on any destroyer or cruiser with a 180º turret turning time of about 18 seconds or more. The way I reason, is that having that bit of extra rate of fire is less useful if you will have to spend extra time to get your guns on target anyway. But more than that, it's really a matter of comfortable play. Unless I can press the turret turning time down to around 14 seconds or lower, I get this syrupy feeling whenever I try to aim at anything. It's like I'm sailing in the HMS Molasses... I just can't shake it. In deference to the very vocal opinions of players far more competent than I, I have tried - repeatedly - to do without the 'Expert Marksman' skill, but I kept going back... so in the end I gave up.

"I am Captain Procrastes, and I use the Expert Marksman skill in place of Adrenaline Rush."

There. I've said it.

:fish_aqua:

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles
15 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Good skill tips from everyone, much appreciated!

My two cents on the RN DD/cruiser skill build

In the face of overwhelming opinions to the contrary...

... I tend to go for 'Expert Marksman' instead of 'Adrenaline Rush' on any destroyer or cruiser with a 180º turret turning time of about 18 seconds or more. The way I reason, is that having that bit of extra rate of fire is less useful if you will have to spend extra time to get your guns on target anyway. But more than that, it's really a matter of comfortable play. Unless I can press the turret turning time down to around 14 seconds or lower, I get this syrupy feeling whenever I try to aim at anything. It's like I'm sailing in the HMS Molasses... I just can't shake it. In deference to the very vocal opinions of players far more competent than I, I have tried - repeatedly - to do without the 'Expert Marksman' skill, but I kept going back... so in the end I gave up.

"I am Captain Procrastes, and I use the Expert Marksman skill in place of Adrenaline Rush."

There. I've said it.

:fish_aqua:

I am a bit confused here. Assume the ship has a central axis and you start the match with the front turrets at 180º and the back turrets at 0º.

Turret rotation limits: Left is an approximation of a "normal" DD, right is a RN DD

vySwR63.png

The only situation where EM benefits turrets that turn 360º is when your turrets are pointed straight at your ship (so front turrets at 0º or back turret at 180º) and you have to turn them 180º in the opposite direction.The other nation turrets can't really aim straight on the ship's axis.

Other than that, side to side (e.g. 90º to 270º) is the exact same thing.

Otherwise RN turrets need EM the least cause if you change sides while running away, for example (e.g. 30º to 330º) they just pass through the ship's central axis instead of having to turn across the bow.

Am I missing something?

Beta Tester
2,079 posts
2,254 battles
1 hour ago, _Teob_ said:

Am I missing something?

No, I don't think that you are missing anything.

As I've said, going for Expert Marksman is more of a personal than a tactical choice for me. I don't doubt that Adrenaline Rush is most likely the better choice from a purely objective standpoint, but I've found - time and time again - that having a slower turret traverse than, say, around 15 seconds, just tends to drive me nuts. In short, I go for comfort rather than efficiency.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,763 battles
13 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

No, I don't think that you are missing anything.

As I've said, going for Expert Marksman is more of a personal than a tactical choice for me. I don't doubt that Adrenaline Rush is most likely the better choice from a purely objective standpoint, but I've found - time and time again - that having a slower turret traverse than, say, around 15 seconds, just tends to drive me nuts. In short, I go for comfort rather than efficiency.

Oh, of course - do whatever makes you happy and that.

I think I just misunderstood. Like I thought you meant you go for EM on RN DDs, but not on the others.

Beta Tester
2,079 posts
2,254 battles
1 hour ago, _Teob_ said:

I think I just misunderstood. Like I thought you meant you go for EM on RN DDs, but not on the others.

No, I generally go for EM on any destroyer with a turret traverse rate of more than 15 seconds. I'm sorry if I was unclear!

Also, now that you've mentioned the 360º turn radius on the turrets of the RN destroyers, I must say that I'm rather happy with that. I've always held that the change to the aft turrets on the Nürnberg cruiser, giving them a 360º turn radius, was the work of a genius. One small change to the functionality of the ship, and such a massive boost to her overall handling... she's now a keeper in my port, and no mistake!