Sign in to follow this  
affie

Why no angled flight decks?

17 comments in this topic

[HOUSE]
Players
214 posts
4,508 battles

One thing that I have wondered over since the beginning of this game is why we get to follow the evolution of all ship types until their peak design (Des Moines, Yamato, HMS Vanguard), but not the aircraft carriers. We are allowed to follow the carriers from their first iterations (Hosho, Langley) to the more modern designs with hurricane bow and larger hangars, but why not go all the way and give us the angled flight deck at tier 10?

After all we had jet aircraft in the game at beta test and as far as I am aware of the angled deck was introduced to assist the flight control, specially with jet aircraft and many carriers were converted to feature an angled deck (as seen on picture for the Essex-class). I hoped that we would receive it when the royal navy carriers arrived since they where the first to experiment on it, but the pictures I've seen on the developers Facebook blog doesn't look promising.

So lets go Wargaming, give us angled flight deck as top tiers to make the evolution go one step further for the carriers, maybe even jet aircraft can fit within the CV rework.

Essex-class_carrier_modernisations_1944-1960.jpg

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,645 posts
5,361 battles

Angled was a mid 50's evolution, not ww2, although, when Russian CV's are released (!) maybe they will have one ;)

[POI--]
Players
4,196 posts
5,167 battles

Once upon a time, CVs on T10 had early jet aircraft. No longer. Without jet aircraft, no point getting an angled flight deck. Not to mention, it would look weird on ships like the Taiho that never had one and would need a complete what-if overhaul.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,465 posts
On 10/20/2018 at 8:15 PM, ColonelPete said:

they did not have that during WW2

That isn't the reason, or we wouldn't have Kutuzov and most of the designs that were chosen for T9/10, not to mention a much different roster for tiers T2/3/4.

[CATS]
Players
15,363 posts
11,035 battles
4 minutes ago, StringWitch said:

That isn't the reason, or we wouldn't have Kutuzov and most of the designs that were chosen for T9/10, not to mention a much different roster for tiers T2/3/4.

That is the reason. Post WW2 carriers would be too powerful.

Post WW2 ships were included into the game where there were holes to fill and they fit balancewise.

[HOUSE]
Players
214 posts
4,508 battles
On 1/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, philjd said:

Angled was a mid 50's evolution, not ww2

The idea and trials started after WW2, and USS Antietam completed her refit 1952, making it early 50's. We have plenty post-WW2 and blueprint/"what if" ships already. 

My idea for history and evolution would look something like this:

T4 - Early converted carriers

T6 - Early designed smaller carriers 

T8 - Fleet carriers, hurricane bows, armored fligth decks

T10 - Angled armored fligth decks, the final step towards the "modern carrier" 

On 1/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, Riselotte said:

Once upon a time, CVs on T10 had early jet aircraft. No longer. Without jet aircraft, no point getting an angled flight deck. Not to mention, it would look weird on ships like the Taiho that never had one and would need a complete what-if overhaul.

Yeah, those old times, the thing is when introducing attack planes carrying rockets and doing 350 knots (PTS rework) it would not be to farfetched to introduce something like de Havilland Sea Vampire planes with their maximum speed of 455 knots doing 250 - 350 knots in-game for balance purpose (don't know that planes stall speed).

I know it probably won't happen, but the idea of this evolution is what appeals to me. Just like the transition from dreadnoughts to fast battleships or from early armored cruisers to light and heavy cruisers at higher tiers while grinding up the tech tree.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,233 posts
6,522 battles
On 10/20/2018 at 9:15 PM, ColonelPete said:

On 1/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, philjd said:

Angled was a mid 50's evolution, not ww2, although, when Russian CV's are released (!) maybe they will have one ;)

some ships are post world war like some russian ships, Minotaur etc. So that wouldn't be an argument against that. But having jets wouldn't fit. The planes were way to fast. On the test server got the speed of T10 planes already nerfed, so jets really wouldn't fit :cap_haloween:

[CATS]
Players
15,363 posts
11,035 battles

This is a WW2 game. Angled flight decks are clearly post WW2. Gun based ships buildt after WW2 are not really post WW2 technology. There is a reason nations stopped building them soon afterwards and changed towards missiles.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,645 posts
5,361 battles
8 hours ago, affie said:

...[snip]....

I am just a touch curious as to what it adds to the game other than the cosmetic aspect.

The Midways were rebuilt with angled decks eventually (as were some of the surviving RN carriers), but with no change in loadout there is no practical benefit to the proposed change?

Faster turnaround, deck based prep, parking etc etc were the benefit is my understanding, not exhaustive or necessarily correct, but these are already built into the game within the overall balancing?

[HOUSE]
Players
214 posts
4,508 battles
10 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

The planes were way to fast. On the test server got the speed of T10 planes already nerfed, so jets really wouldn't fit :cap_haloween:

This I agree on, but I started this thread during test server and some of the slower jets planes had similar speed as some of the fastee propeller planes, specially during operation, maybe not during transit. 

7 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

This is a WW2 game.

There where jet planes during WW2 so with that statement you stand behind jet planes, however the angled fligth decks evolved to ease the use of jet planes on carriers after WW2 yes. 

2 hours ago, philjd said:

I am just a touch curious as to what it adds to the game other than the cosmetic aspect

Exactly this, as I stated above, it would enhance the feeling of progression from the first conversions to the modern carrier, like the battleships evolution from HMS Dreadnought to HMS Vanguard and USS Iowa and USS Montana as a "what if" ship. 

It would also make it possible to introduce the French carrier Clemenceau laid down in 1955 as a T10 and thereby give us another nation of carriers that actually existed other than on blueprints. 

[UNICS]
Players
342 posts
4,854 battles
20.10.2018 o 21:15, ColonelPete napisał:

And neither they had Grozovoi, Montana, Daring, and so on, and so on.

[CATS]
Players
15,363 posts
11,035 battles
7 hours ago, Infiriel said:

And neither they had Grozovoi, Montana, Daring, and so on, and so on.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:58 AM, ColonelPete said:

.. Gun based ships buildt after WW2 are not really post WW2 technology. There is a reason nations stopped building them soon afterwards and changed towards missiles.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,691 posts
1,492 battles

Angled flight decks where  British invention with HMS Ark Royal launched as the first CV built with an angled deck in 1950. Could be a T10 I guess

Players
964 posts
7,565 battles

It's not strictly a WW2 game though -- it goes well into the 1950s.

The Audacious in this game is going to run Westland Wyvern planes, which the (ex-Audacious) HMS Eagle historically only had after the conversion to an 5.5 degree angled flight deck in 1954. So the Audacious "could" have the angled deck in this game, though the in-game model doesn't have one.

wzUEdRM.jpg

Sign in to follow this