Sign in to follow this  
ScoutMkoll

T5 BBs for Ranked Sprint

39 comments in this topic

[WTFNO]
Players
80 posts

I've been looking at the 3 popular Premium choices: Giulio, Revolutsiya and Texas. The GC is fast but its guns seem unreliable and underpowered, the Texas is so slow it can barely get to the battle in time and the Revolution burns like kindling. Those are my impressions which immediately tells me I must be doing everything wrong :). Any tips for making the allegedly OP ships work?

[CATS]
Players
15,240 posts
11,004 battles
  • GC is strong, she can do all the stuff a BB needs to do
  • Texas is exceptional vs planes, otherwise average
  • Oktober is tough, but has weak guns and is slow

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles

Oktober tough? lel. Nose in you eat citadels from the front (bow 19mm, if the guy in front knows where to aim ,you're boned), and give any side and you eat citadels from the side. Give neither (good luck with that) and the dude in front will shoot at your guns. 203mm front face armor, they blow up just nice, and GL fighting back with 2 turrets left.

It's fantastic because 12 guns that close in with AP can wreck face. Beyond midrange they can't pen BBs reliably tho. I can see Oktober being a beast in T5-T6 randoms because it's essentially immune to HE spam and the repair works amazing against fires, so you can pretty much LOL at cruisers...But it's terribly weak against enemy BBs who know what the heck they're doing. Both in randoms and for this event GC is much better (it also isn't hard to citadel but is faster, better concealment, more maneouverable, hits as hard with the ten heavier guns which are able to pen BBs at longer ranges, and it's guns don't go up in fireworks each time anyone aims at them).

Texas I haven't tried but if carriers are around it can ruin their day fast.

[CATS]
Players
15,240 posts
11,004 battles
5 hours ago, RAMJB said:

I can see Oktober being a beast in T5-T6 randoms because it's essentially immune to HE spam and the repair works amazing against fires, so you can pretty much LOL at cruisers...

That is not tough? And yes, when you do not angle properly, you are in trouble. What else is new?

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

That is not tough? And yes, when you do not angle properly, you are in trouble. What else is new?

In 7v7 teams where at most there's one cruiser, no, that's not tough. It's tough in randoms. Where HE spammers are everywhere. In most of this ranked matchups, it's not tough because HE spamming is mostly inconsequential.

Players
417 posts
3,502 battles

Honourable mention to Kongo, which is actually quite good due to its speed, turret angles and punchy guns. Just be sure to get close enough so dispersion doesn't troll you though.

On the Oct revolution: I fell like it is too sluggish for Ranked, and if the enemy team angle you will have a tough time. The longer reload hurts a bit, too. Plus, it can be citadelled when broadside rather easily due to having turret barbettes amidships. I guess you can citadel just about any broadside BB, but it feels a little easier with this one, especially as those random shots that go high may still score a citadel. Also, the turret angles are poor, so hard to use all the guns without showing broadside. Expert Marksman is a must.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
577 posts

So far I've only used the GC. I went for speed since going bow in is kinda meh at those tiers.

She has performed stellar for me.....teams have been so so. But who cares.

Players
101 posts
13,763 battles
4 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Honourable mention to Kongo, which is actually quite good due to its speed, turret angles and punchy guns. Just be sure to get close enough so dispersion doesn't troll you though.

On the Oct revolution: I fell like it is too sluggish for Ranked, and if the enemy team angle you will have a tough time. The longer reload hurts a bit, too. Plus, it can be citadelled when broadside rather easily due to having turret barbettes amidships. I guess you can citadel just about any broadside BB, but it feels a little easier with this one, especially as those random shots that go high may still score a citadel. Also, the turret angles are poor, so hard to use all the guns without showing broadside. Expert Marksman is a must.

I not really agree with you, Kongo have good speed and good gun range but his bow ... my god, you took always heavy dmg by front,  and your dispersion too .. I know habitual it s a good ship but with this 7vs7 meta, I thing it s not the best choice,  for me, French Bretagne it s a good choice, AA quite good, slow speed 21 knots nice artillerie with acceptable range, 18,1 km, effective armor  

Players
417 posts
3,502 battles
12 minutes ago, robingf38 said:

I not really agree with you, Kongo have good speed and good gun range but his bow ... my god, you took always heavy dmg by front,  and your dispersion too .. I know habitual it s a good ship but with this 7vs7 meta, I thing it s not the best choice,  for me, French Bretagne it s a good choice, AA quite good, slow speed 21 knots nice artillerie with acceptable range, 18,1 km, effective armor

Bretagne does have good AA (better than GC, Kongo but worse than Texas), but other than that she isn't that good at anything else. Gun range isn't an issue in Ranked, but Bretagne's guns just don't compare well to Kongo's (although they are still better than October Revolution). There is a thread discussing the worst ship for ranked sprint, and Bretagne isn't doing very well.

But hey, if you make her work and enjoy using her, then well played and keep on! :Smile_honoring:

[WTFNO]
Players
80 posts

I've been getting better results in the GC but man, sometimes those guns feel like toys and a moment later you get hit for half HP. I still see more ORs than any other BB.

[POI--]
Players
4,110 posts
5,139 battles
15 hours ago, RAMJB said:

In 7v7 teams where at most there's one cruiser, no, that's not tough. It's tough in randoms. Where HE spammers are everywhere. In most of this ranked matchups, it's not tough because HE spamming is mostly inconsequential.

It still cares the least about HE spam and is the one BB that is best at dealing with any DoT, especially as with such small teams, you hardly ever burn through all damecon charges.

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

It still cares the least about HE spam and is the one BB that is best at dealing with any DoT, especially as with such small teams, you hardly ever burn through all damecon charges.

But in those battles is mostly torpedoes (From the DDs) an AP (from battleships). Cruisers there are very few, chances that you have recurring fires exist but aren't by far as commonplace as in randoms. Nowhere near. Don't get me wrong, that fast-cooldown heal is fantastic to deal with DoT ,but DoT is a far lesser problem in this gamestyle than in randoms.

[POI--]
Players
4,110 posts
5,139 battles
1 minute ago, RAMJB said:

But in those battles is mostly torpedoes (From the DDs) an AP (from battleships). Cruisers there are very few, chances that you have recurring fires exist but aren't by far as commonplace as in randoms. Nowhere near. Don't get me wrong, that fast-cooldown heal is fantastic to deal with DoT ,but DoT is a far lesser problem in this gamestyle than in randoms.

It still is pretty decent if you know how to angle and I guess many people have the ship.

[IRON7]
Players
164 posts
1,018 battles
22 hours ago, robingf38 said:

You mean from BBs lolpenning your bow? Because I doubt that'll be an issue with tier 5 only.

25mm only gets overmatched by 358mm+ cannons, which, afaik, don't exist at tier 5, since the biggest is 356mm.

Most else would be due to incorrect angling, afaik, or long-range plunging fire.

Players
101 posts
13,763 battles
1 hour ago, Nishi_Kinuyo said:

You mean from BBs lolpenning your bow? Because I doubt that'll be an issue with tier 5 only.

25mm only gets overmatched by 358mm+ cannons, which, afaik, don't exist at tier 5, since the biggest is 356mm.

Most else would be due to incorrect angling, afaik, or long-range plunging fire.

Hum ok for your lolpens I forgot this point, I didn't played this ship since .. oua 6 months :cap_win: however I remember it have a good precision and really effective against bb, during this ranked the most regulars ships are BB and DD for a huge majority, Bretagne stay yet effective for me 

[POI--]
Players
4,110 posts
5,139 battles
8 hours ago, Nishi_Kinuyo said:

T3-5 bow plating is 19 mm, offering no protection whatsoever against BB calibers as low as 28 cm. Only T6-7 is 25 mm.

[IRON7]
Players
164 posts
1,018 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

T3-5 bow plating is 19 mm, offering no protection whatsoever against BB calibers as low as 28 cm. Only T6-7 is 25 mm.

:Smile_facepalm:

Herpaderp, okay, so we can forget about that then.

Still, that would mean basically every other BB gets lolpenned through the bow as well.

But tbh, I don't find that sitting bow-on to the enemy is a great strategy to begin with.

And with the Kongou you can angle quite decently and do amagi wiggles.

[POI--]
Players
4,110 posts
5,139 battles
On 10/22/2018 at 9:32 PM, Nishi_Kinuyo said:

Still, that would mean basically every other BB gets lolpenned through the bow as well.

But tbh, I don't find that sitting bow-on to the enemy is a great strategy to begin with.

Pretty much, yes. Only König has lower bow plating worth a damn, but too unreliable to bet on it.

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
2,632 battles
On 10/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, Nishi_Kinuyo said:

Also, lets not forget, with her 30 knot top speed, there's no way the action is leaving you behind in a Kongou.

Not unless you want it to leave you behind of course.

Players
417 posts
3,502 battles
6 hours ago, lafeel said:

Also, lets not forget, with her 30 knot top speed, there's no way the action is leaving you behind in a Kongou.

Not unless you want it to leave you behind of course.

I've seen plenty of Kongou's (mainly clone ones) that get left far behind. The best way to play it is to get within 14km or so and start pressuring the cruisers. \assuming your DD's push ahead of you, and your cruisers support them, there isn't much the enemy can do. If they focus fire the Kongou, they will just die to others. Sure, they may sink you, but the other team has failed to secure two caps in this time and s now down on points and lacking map position. I guess this is how a lot of BB's should be played, but their slow speed give players an excuse to hang back.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,180 posts
6,113 battles
7 hours ago, sinky1975 said:

When will be Guilo Cesare again in shop?

Never I hope.

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
2,632 battles
8 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

I've seen plenty of Kongou's (mainly clone ones) that get left far behind. The best way to play it is to get within 14km or so and start pressuring the cruisers. \assuming your DD's push ahead of you, and your cruisers support them, there isn't much the enemy can do. If they focus fire the Kongou, they will just die to others. Sure, they may sink you, but the other team has failed to secure two caps in this time and s now down on points and lacking map position. I guess this is how a lot of BB's should be played, but their slow speed give players an excuse to hang back.

Them getting left far behind is more the fault of the player than the ship in Kongou's case though.

[UNICS]
Players
1,241 posts
15,353 battles
On 10/20/2018 at 8:44 PM, RAMJB said:

Oktober tough? lel. Nose in you eat citadels from the front (bow 19mm, if the guy in front knows where to aim ,you're boned), and give any side and you eat citadels from the side. Give neither (good luck with that) and the dude in front will shoot at your guns. 203mm front face armor, they blow up just nice, and GL fighting back with 2 turrets left.

I havent been frontally citadeled by a bb in oct yet + it has 38mm turtleback roof so if shells glide over it past the 19mm bow it will autobounce, you also need to pass barbette , so its a rng shot to be honest.. unless im missing something.. Training room might be best to test..

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles
1 hour ago, Ysterpyp said:

I havent been frontally citadeled by a bb in oct yet + it has 38mm turtleback roof so if shells glide over it past the 19mm bow it will autobounce, you also need to pass barbette , so its a rng shot to be honest.. unless im missing something.. Training room might be best to test..

You must be lucky then. In my first battle alone already a GC got me through the nose. Twice. And looking at the armor layout is not hard to understand why this happens...

1-Shells will first hit upper bow armor of 19mm overmatching it. If they hit the lower armored belt (125mm) they will just bounce, but those going through the upper nose go straight in.

2- One of three options:

a) shell is going mostly straight, hits the upper 50mm athwartships upper bulkhead - not enough to stop BB shells, goes through. Then it detonates or bounces on the 38mm armored deck. No citadel but you eat AP damage.

b) shell is slightly angled downwards, hits the 100mm athwartships mid bulkhead - still not enough to stop BB shells, goes through. Then it detonates (AP damage) or, more likely, dips a bit more hitting the citadel roof (12mm, auto-overmatch) and citadels you.

c) shell is noticeably angled downwards, hits the lower citadel 50mm athwartships bulkhead - not enough to stop BB shells, goes through. Guaranteed citadel.

So in short: If any BB shell of almost any caliber hits you bow on in the upper bow armor even with the slightest downward trajectory, you're going to eat citadels almost for sure. And if you get lucky and you don't, you'll "only" eat a significant ammount of AP damage instead.

It's a tough layout for a T5 BB, don't get me wrong. But anyone knowing how to shoot at one will easily citadel Revolutsia through her nose.

Sign in to follow this