You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

How to "Tame" the Reworked Aircraft Carriers - Discussion Thread

67 comments in this topic

WG Team, Master Pirate, Sailing Hamster
251 posts

Very soon you will have the opportunity to test the new gameplay of reworked aircraft carriers. So how do you actually play with them? Read this article to learn how!

Read the full article

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
715 posts
10,358 battles

From the patch i saw you were introduced to a new theme of tentacles, how soon will we see perverted stuff? Oh, wait...thats the CV rework in a nutshell...

• Cool 1

Players
5 posts
6,097 battles

Removing the ability to control the ship when you have a (not returning) squadron in the air seems questionable, and I doubt that it improves gameplay in any way. With this, unpredictable plays from your teammates and enemies will result in a loss of your damage output (because you have to return your planes first in order to change course), and more importantly a loss of survivability as you can't react to a threat as quickly as you could before. Why not let the man set a different autopath course for the carrier while flying? Is the captain on a plane as well? Can the planes not find the carrier if it moves? I don't quite get it

Again, I don't see a benefit here either way, just something purely frustrating :cap_hmm:

Otherwise it seems interesting. Do call me out if I'm wrong though

• Cool 4

Players
1,346 posts
6,106 battles

It's turned into BATTLESTATIONS MIDWAY.  And that game got boring very very quickly.:Smile_facepalm:

My god they dumbed this down a hell of a lot.

Stay optimistic Red.......Give it a chance.....

• Cool 4

[LUSOS]
Players
5 posts
6,250 battles

So, if a carrier gets attacked by planes there are only 2 options:

Stop attacking ships, recalling the squadron, and maneuv/set AAs targets or;

Continue to attack enemies and hope the other cv fails the hits.

Is that it?

• Cool 5

[130]
Players
2 posts
3,370 battles

Creative rework of the cv-gameplay, time will show how it works out.

But its definately a good thing that one CV cant decide a game on his own anymore (at least not that easily with a bit of RTS experience) and that a cv cant decide which player has to go to port after 2 mins (crossdropping DDs/cruisers). Now you have a chance in a DD/cruiser and CAN dodge the attack.

• Bad 1

Players
17 posts
1 hour ago, _Wunterslaush said:

Removing the ability to control the ship when you have a (not returning) squadron in the air seems questionable, and I doubt that it improves gameplay in any way. With this, unpredictable plays from your teammates and enemies will result in a loss of your damage output (because you have to return your planes first in order to change course), and more importantly a loss of survivability as you can't react to a threat as quickly as you could before. Why not let the man set a different autopath course for the carrier while flying? Is the captain on a plane as well? Can the planes not find the carrier if it moves? I don't quite get it

Again, I don't see a benefit here either way, just something purely frustrating :cap_hmm:

Otherwise it seems interesting. Do call me out if I'm wrong though

Just played my first game in carrier and i could go to the map at any point and set a course for my CV, just press M then set a course then M again and back to active squad oh and AA is pretty fierce

• Cool 2

[TMD]
Players
11 posts
4,307 battles

I can't wait to get a full xp and credit refund on the carriers I have, thank you for killing the line off for me with the proposed changes.

• Cool 4

Players
37 posts
6,297 battles

And where is the CAP every CV were always flying? No CV was stupid to go sail without a minimum CAP and some fighters ready to launch. Just now, attacking CVs seem to be very rewarding, as they won't actively evade (just standing still or moving from one waypoint to another) and their long range AA is always almost nonexistent.

And instead of giving the squadrons the silly ability of calling fighters to patrol an AREA, something mostly useless ('cause most ships are constantly moving), why don't give them the ability of calling a CAP over a friendly ship, even the Carrier herself?

For me this is another way of forcing carriers into a game where they don't belong and could be easily substituted by airstrikes or something like that.

• Cool 1

Players
1,346 posts
6,106 battles
30 minutes ago, sneakyscotsman said:

AA is pretty fierce

Can you imaging the shear amount of AA spec ships when this re-work hits the shelves? As there is currently alot of AA in the game as it is. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
715 posts
10,358 battles
31 minutes ago, Xlanger80X said:

Creative rework of the cv-gameplay, time will show how it works out.

But its definately a good thing that one CV cant decide a game on his own anymore (at least not that easily with a bit of RTS experience) and that a cv cant decide which player has to go to port after 2 mins (crossdropping DDs/cruisers). Now you have a chance in a DD/cruiser and CAN dodge the attack.

LoL.. If now a CV decides who goes to port by just killing you in 1 drop, then now he will circle you around and kill you by forcing you to use your R to rep fires from rockets, then bombs, then torps...rens and repeat. Then as he watches you slowly die with no escape...it would just prolong the suffering for the poor noobs by some 30 sec tops...

Players
17 posts
18 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

Can you imaging the shear amount of AA spec ships when this re-work hits the shelves? As there is currently alot of AA in the game as it is. 

The only thing i did not like when playing in a Worcester was the new AA selection thing, i saw a squadron of bombers and fighters on my right but couldnt target the bombers only which side of the ship was to get the most protection,

desimated the fighters but hardly touched the bombers

18 hours ago, Azalgor said:

LoL.. If now a CV decides who goes to port by just killing you in 1 drop, then now he will circle you around and kill you by forcing you to use your R to rep fires from rockets, then bombs, then torps...rens and repeat. Then as he watches you slowly die with no escape...it would just prolong the suffering for the poor noobs by some 30 sec tops...

LOL rockets are like a bloody shot gun you cant miss , shoot, set fire repeat

• Cool 1

Players
147 posts
122 battles

I just read how this new CV farce will not allow one to steer & maneuver your Carrier if you have the 'one' squadron in the air.

What!? What sort of complete nonsense is this? At present, you can steer your CV &  control all your Squadrons TOGETHER!

What kind of STUPID Dumbing Down of CV play is this?

The new choice is either control your Carrier or control just one plane squadron?

I have the INTELLIGENCE to play CVs as they are at present - that is 1 CV & up to 8 plane squadrons = 9 different units.

I was unaware that there are so many EDIT who are not able to do this.

You at WG for the last 3-4 years, is it?, have seen fit to have CV play with several Squadrons in the Air & the CV a separate movable unit.

Your designers/developers have had no problems with CV play as it is now (other than the persistent anti-CV 'Whiners').

Many Alpha, Beta, Super Testers & CC type players have played CVs as they are, at present.

I am unaware that many (or any) of these players and/or designer/developers are so opposed to the current CV play.

How about you, WG, actually say why you have decided to change CV play?

What is the real Reason?

Is it to make CV play compatible to another electronic platform market?

Edited by Kampa1987
Insults
  • Cool 7

Players
147 posts
122 battles
30 minutes ago, sneakyscotsman said:

rockets

I note that 'rockets', as a weapon on CV fighters, was a later WW2 introduction hence may be an option for the higher tier CVs.

(An addition to the main CV plane types only)

[B_O_S]
[B_O_S]
Players
3 posts
5,665 battles

First of all, Head of developement should be fired.

Game is changing to worse .How WG compensate my hours of play on CV's or paying chash for saipan with real money? Money back ? Get doublons back which i spend for free Exp to get the ship ?

WG in Wot screwed up Artillery which is now mostly unplayable (with ridicilous stun wtf still is this), but this is not the point, similar to show the full picture.

Good player in CV should decide the tide of a battle , its simple smarter wins, dumb sheeps loose, simple.if i am making mistakes allright team can loose but its part of a game fair enough.

If i want to play with WASD keys i can play world of warplanes.

And what is about on high tier CVs ? loads of warships had AA OP and i cannot perform full charge with dozens of planes . THX WG making game more noobish for fools , 3 years ago game was better.

All those changes should be optional in preferences menu.Then u can pick old or new way and decide what is better for you.

But end of the day WG don't listen players, they do what they want, and we good players have to deal with it, sorry WG fails me again.

Stop paying them this can stop them from stupid ideas only. Like Wot couple years ago when they do bad changes ppl did massive exodus with WOWS would be same.

End of the line...

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
25 posts
4,002 battles

As A carrier player I think you reduced the whole role of a cv in this game to an arcade side show. Never thought I would see WOW make such a poor design decision.

IMHO its that bad I had to check it was not April fools.

• Cool 5

[ZPT]
Players
32 posts

Carriers are dead!

From 1941 onward they were the most important capital ships, but in this game they have become useless from strategic and tactical standpoint!

The most important asset and ablity for a carrier, was that it could perform its tasks while moving, evading attacks and running away from the enemy!

Carriers are always on the move while attacking, now they are nothing more than stationary floating platforms with limited usefulness in the game.

Dear friends and players - you know that Wargaming is right, even when its wrong!

They will never revert the carrier gameplay, because everything is "workingasintended"! :Smile_facepalm:

Always have, always will! :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 4

Players
17 posts

Just decimated a Midway with HE from a worcester in next to no time, to be honest i think the driver was so focused on his planes he didnt notice what was happening.

He may have been new or maybe his first outing but the carrier just sat in one place till he burned down.

Its only the first full day so lets see how it goes, my first outing wasn't exactly spectacular :D

Still dont  agree with Dybcor that " Good player in CV should decide the tide of a battle , its simple smarter wins, dumb sheeps loose, simple" sorry but that attitude helps nobody,

I understand that if you put a lot of time/effort into one type of gameplay and it is changed beyond recognition it sucks, but reading some of the coments in the forums you would think WG are sacrificing some peoples first born.

I do agree with philbill that CV play will not be near as decisive as it was but it may get more players to engage in the CV ? only time will tell.

Why is everybody saying carriers must sit still?  If you go into map view you can move all you want no matter what else you are doing with your planes.

OH by the way the new AA graphics look AMAZING!!!!

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[B_O_S]
[B_O_S]
Players
3 posts
5,665 battles

Graphics ??? lol gameplay is essential , i remember times when i played Alien Breed Tower assault on Amiga CD32 :D

sneakyscotsman u don't know about games :)

Unreal Tournament i was in the professional league i know how to play :D

[SWTP]
Players
264 posts
5,602 battles
46 minut temu, Dybcor napisał:

Good player in CV should decide the tide of a battle , its simple smarter wins, dumb sheeps loose, simple.if i am making mistakes allright team can loose but its part of a game fair enough.

BS. You are forgetting about the other 22 players greatly (9 out of 10x) affected by the skill of unicum CV or lack of skills of said dumb sheep. Can't be that one player solely decides about the outcome of the game. On the other side dumbing down looks a bit excessive and I  know current Cv game could be fixed and balanced, but reasons... (I will not let the cat out of the xbox bag by saying why:cap_haloween: )

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,118 posts
5,890 battles
2 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

BS. You are forgetting about the other 22 players greatly (9 out of 10x) affected by the skill of unicum CV or lack of skills of said dumb sheep. Can't be that one player solely decides about the outcome of the game. On the other side dumbing down looks a bit excessive and I  know current Cv game could be fixed and balanced, but reasons... (I will not let the cat out of the xbox bag by saying why:cap_haloween: )

Always wondering, why people think the rework is because of the console port. I mean RTS games exist on Super Nintendo, not hard to implement, also WoWs Blitz has the RTS style as well?

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,118 posts
5,890 battles

I played now 19 Games on the Test Server, 9 of them with the Ryujo, rest with Fuso and Aoba.

I like the gameplay, it's fun. Especially the AP bombs on the Dive bombers are fun, those only feel a bit week (something between 5k-8k dmg, if it hits a citadell). Playing non-cv ships are also fun, it feels more consistent. The short range aa reduces the RNG, and it's fun to see the damage on the planes. It also seems more fair for non-cv ships, since enemy cvs can only approach with one squad, so the player is able to dodge it

• Bad 2

[SWTP]
Players
264 posts
5,602 battles
3 minuty temu, Pikkozoikum napisał:

Always wondering, why people think the rework is because of the console port. I mean RTS games exist on Super Nintendo, not hard to implement, also WoWs Blitz has the RTS style as well?

Do not know, maybe because of controllers? Never played RTS game on a console, probably because RTS gameplay would be even less appealing to potential console WOWS players then it is to current PC players?

[B_O_S]
[B_O_S]
Players
3 posts
5,665 battles

Do not know, maybe because of controllers? Never played RTS game on a console, probably because RTS gameplay would be even less appealing to potential console WOWS players then it is to current PC players?

Knowledge of games You make me laugh did had ever Atari 85/XE ?

Nooby nie daja rady preciwko dobrym CV :) haha i nerf :)

Jak było z artą w Wot'cie :D smiać mi się chcę :D

Players
17 posts
56 minutes ago, Dybcor said:

Graphics ??? lol gameplay is essential , i remember times when i played Alien Breed Tower assault on Amiga CD32 :D

sneakyscotsman u don't know about games :)

Unreal Tournament i was in the professional league i know how to play :D

It was only my opinion but,

Ok let me re-phrase that in the context of this particular game the graphics are substantialy better with regard to the AA than they were before the update.

With regard to gameplay ,yes i would agree 100% it is the over riding factor, but BF2 gameplay was a lot better than BF1( a hell of a lot IMHO )

But after going back to play it you think meh its ok but......

Unreal tournament was excellent in 1999 (you dont know Fraser Boyd by the way? mate of mine, pro as well ) on release but so was the mk3 Golf hell so was i at a spritely 30 yrs old but it's not about what we want unfortunately, im trying this out but im sure no matter what i or the majority say what will be will be.

By the way don't tell my wife i know nothing about games FFS i get enough grief with the amount of time i play as it is. started on a commadore 64 in 1982 at the ripe old age of 13 LOL thanks for making me feel old.

Just a final thought I dont play CV very much at all and although this is better from a non cv capt. point of view I dont think this will make me play them much more maybe drop in on the odd game but thats about it.

, but i can see why people who play a lot in CV's are Pissed