HidesHisFace

Need help with Amagi

16 comments in this topic

Players
153 posts
1,935 battles

Seriously, I'm struggling with this ship and I'm starting to hate it to the point that I'm looking forward to playing stock Izumo. And that is not a good sign.

I've read some other topics, everyone and their mother keeps saying how amazing this ship is and don't see it, AT ALL.

The speed of this ship - means nothing - there are already plenty of BBs that are faster than it anyway on the same tier. And I tend to land bottom tier all the time anyway.

The armour is wonky at best and the ship itself is huge and easy to hit.

The turret layout - I find it awkward to use, unless I'm running away...

AA is non-existent but well, I expect it from Japanese ships, so this is only nitpicking.

The guns are inaccurate - yes I said it - inaccurate. I know everyone keeps saying how amazingly accurate these things are but I don't buy it.

At first, I though it was because I was stock but even after maxing it out and and mounting accuracy module it still feels bad. Really bad.

Somehow, I can't hit anything with any reliability with those guns - shells seem to always either go too low or too high, even when aiming at stationary targets. I'm starting to believe that there is something bugged with this ship because I'm getting better results when it comes to accuracy with notoriously inaccurate German battleships. I'm aiming as usual - my shots land generally where the citadel should be, but they miss anyway. Seriously, getting 3 out of 10 shots, at almost stationary cruiser, 10km away, with 1 pen and 2 overpens is kind of bad. In fact, I noticed that in order to hit anything I need to aim WAY below the waterline, and most will still hit the superstructure. Seriously, there is something fundamentally wrong when I get more consistent results with  a bloody Scharnhorst at similar ranges.

By the way - as much as everyone keeps saying how great this ship is, somehow, I can't seem to find any recent replays on youtube. For some reason I sense a lie somewhere. 

Either way, I need help before I lose my patience and sell this bloody thing. And before you start - I know how to angle my armour, overmatch mechanics and so on. I know the "basics" of playing this game.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,955 posts
5,438 battles

Check Flamu videos about this ship. 

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
42 minutes ago, HidesHisFace said:

The speed of this ship - means nothing - there are already plenty of BBs that are faster than it anyway on the same tier. And I tend to land bottom tier all the time anyway.

French are faster. Who else at T8? Because that's 2.

42 minutes ago, HidesHisFace said:

Seriously, there is something fundamentally wrong when I get more consistent results with  a bloody Scharnhorst at similar ranges.

Scharnhorst has 2.0 sigma, Amagi has 1.8. What are you expecting? If you want a better comparison, Amagi vs Bismarck.

45 minutes ago, HidesHisFace said:

By the way - as much as everyone keeps saying how great this ship is, somehow, I can't seem to find any recent replays on youtube. For some reason I sense a lie somewhere. 

Covering Amagi isn't terribly exciting. It's the oldest T8 BB, hasn't been changed in a good while, so no novelty there. It's also not one of the ships that very many people struggle with, so, people trying to make guides focus on ships that have a worse reputation.

Players
153 posts
1,935 battles
20 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Germans are marginally faster. 

Upcoming Vanguard is going to have the same speed. Roma has the same speed. 

So, if you don't count the Vanguard, that is 5 out of remaining 9 battleships (I'm not counting Kii either, by the way) either exceeding the speed of 30 knots or matching it. Amagi's speed is no longer a saving grace it used to be.

As for the accuracy - ok, to put it bluntly - it is my LEAST accurate battleship. Granted, I don't play BBs that much, I'm more of a cruiser guy but still - we're talking about the same accuracy as notoriously inaccurate Myogi, in my case at least.

But while we are on this topic... They is really something wrong with the dispersion on this thing - somehow, it notoriously misses broadsides of cruisers 10-12km away, and yet somehow I'm able to plant 3-4 shots per salvo into enemy destroyers at similar ranges. It blows my mind. The inconsistency of those guns is simply hilarious.

In any case - I watched of older Flamu vids. Fortunately they proved not to be outdated as I feared. My performance in this ship kind of... stabilised, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I still don't like it, but at least I'm more aware of what this thing is capable off and now I can somewhat use it.

Beta Tester
1,818 posts
2,546 battles
On 10/18/2018 at 11:19 AM, Riselotte said:

Scharnhorst has 2.0 sigma, Amagi has 1.8. What are you expecting? If you want a better comparison, Amagi vs Bismarck.

Covering Amagi isn't terribly exciting. It's the oldest T8 BB, hasn't been changed in a good while, so no novelty there. It's also not one of the ships that very many people struggle with, so, people trying to make guides focus on ships that have a worse reputation.

The german twins are faster as well, ie Bismarck and Tirpitz, but only by one knot (and half a knot in the latter case)

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
9 hours ago, HidesHisFace said:

Germans are marginally faster. 

Upcoming Vanguard is going to have the same speed. Roma has the same speed. 

So, if you don't count the Vanguard, that is 5 out of remaining 9 battleships (I'm not counting Kii either, by the way) either exceeding the speed of 30 knots or matching it. Amagi's speed is no longer a saving grace it used to be.

Why are we counting half the Germans, but not Kii and Vanguard?

4 hours ago, lafeel said:

The german twins are faster as well, ie Bismarck and Tirpitz, but only by one knot (and half a knot in the latter case)

Frankly, for all practical purposes, 1 knot is unimportant and half a knot is too. At 30+ knots on a BB anyway.

I'd not count the speed as special, but the way it was phrased originally implied the speed somehow was lacking, when it isn't. And if you end up top tier, having 30 knots is no joke.

9 hours ago, HidesHisFace said:

As for the accuracy - ok, to put it bluntly - it is my LEAST accurate battleship. Granted, I don't play BBs that much, I'm more of a cruiser guy but still - we're talking about the same accuracy as notoriously inaccurate Myogi, in my case at least.

But while we are on this topic... They is really something wrong with the dispersion on this thing - somehow, it notoriously misses broadsides of cruisers 10-12km away, and yet somehow I'm able to plant 3-4 shots per salvo into enemy destroyers at similar ranges. It blows my mind. The inconsistency of those guns is simply hilarious.

I found it decently accurate for a BB. It's not super accurate like some Warspite or Myogi (now that it got buffed), but accurate enough, especially given the 10 guns.

Beta Tester
1,818 posts
2,546 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

Why are we counting half the Germans, but not Kii and Vanguard?

Frankly, for all practical purposes, 1 knot is unimportant and half a knot is too. At 30+ knots on a BB anyway.

I'd not count the speed as special, but the way it was phrased originally implied the speed somehow was lacking, when it isn't. And if you end up top tier, having 30 knots is no joke.

I found it decently accurate for a BB. It's not super accurate like some Warspite or Myogi (now that it got buffed), but accurate enough, especially given the 10 guns.

Agreed, nine times out of ten the difference between 30 and 31 knots is barely even noticable.

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

Agreed, nine times out of ten the difference between 30 and 31 knots is barely even noticable.

Bismarck is my most played BB. I didn't know it was 1 knot faster. It really makes no difference. I replaced Amagi with Kii, which is half a knot slower. Pretty much the same still. This isn't some T5, where 30 knots vs 21 knots really is significant. Not even T7, where you get 32 knots vs 27 knots on next best non-prem.

Beta Tester
1,818 posts
2,546 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Bismarck is my most played BB. I didn't know it was 1 knot faster. It really makes no difference. I replaced Amagi with Kii, which is half a knot slower. Pretty much the same still. This isn't some T5, where 30 knots vs 21 knots really is significant. Not even T7, where you get 32 knots vs 27 knots on next best non-prem.

Thank you for reminding me of the main reason  why the Kongou is the only non premium tier 5 bb in my port..

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Thank you for reminding me of the main reason  why the Kongou is the only non premium tier 5 bb in my port..

I got all T5 BBs except NY and Bretagne in port (but Texas basically is a better NY anyway). König isn't that bad, Iron Duke mostly feels bad on the turret traverse.

Anyway, I consider Amagi's main strength the heaviest broadside at T8. Don't think there's a better main battery at that tier. Best gun caliber, highest alpha strike potential in AP and HE (important given you might need to blap DDs with it now, Monarch only slightly edges it out in HE dpm due to reload).

Beta Tester
1,818 posts
2,546 battles
17 hours ago, Riselotte said:

I got all T5 BBs except NY and Bretagne in port (but Texas basically is a better NY anyway). König isn't that bad, Iron Duke mostly feels bad on the turret traverse.

Anyway, I consider Amagi's main strength the heaviest broadside at T8. Don't think there's a better main battery at that tier. Best gun caliber, highest alpha strike potential in AP and HE (important given you might need to blap DDs with it now, Monarch only slightly edges it out in HE dpm due to reload).

There is not. Although the Kiii can match her in weight (literally) thrown.

As a hillarious side note, for those of us that like this sort of thing, a full broadside from a Amagi/Kii weighs about half again as much as a fully laden ELC Even 90. :Smile_teethhappy:

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

There is not. Although the Kiii can match her in weight (literally) thrown.

As a hillarious side note, for those of us that like this sort of thing, a full broadside from a Amagi/Kii weighs about half again as much as a fully laden ELC Even 90. :Smile_teethhappy:

In weight, USN T8s got better weight, as their shells weigh 20% more. But that doesn't translate into 20% more damage.

Beta Tester
1,818 posts
2,546 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

In weight, USN T8s got better weight, as their shells weigh 20% more. But that doesn't translate into 20% more damage.

The 20% extra shell weight is largely cancelled out by the Amagi having the tenth gun barrel though.

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
4 minutes ago, lafeel said:

The 20% extra shell weight is largely cancelled out by the Amagi having the tenth gun barrel though.

9x1.2 tons is 10.8 tons, 10x1 ton is 10 tons.It would be cancelled out if Amagi had 20% more barrels.

[OMNI]
Players
97 posts
11,926 battles

-Fully upgrade it. (its not as bad as old Amagi stock, but never judge a ship non-upgraded (in case you are)). And its only playable with acc module. NC has better sigma and USS AP. You cant afford to have AA modules

-Learn your effective range. (Usually its 14-17km but go for ranges that you are comfortable), it doesnt mean there arent cases you should go aggressive.

-Amagi shines on kiting away angles. Not only it brings most guns that way, but it is also extremely tanky.

-Stay away from secondaries, it could have been a good brawler, but its not because of that

-Guns have lower sigma than Nagato, but shells travel fast and the potential firepower is great. They are accurate, but they arent that good penetrating BBs at longranges (especially high tiered). If you got better luck with german BBs, then that means you dont know to aim (or you are not timing your shots ok). (Try to watch some videos how other people aim, and maybe on twitch (dont only watch great highlights and expect to do the same. RNG is a beech)

It is vital to know which parts to shoot on all BBs, you cant aim waterline on everything. And there are ships you wont citadel so you dont need to waste half your shells on the water (if they fall short)

you excel killing cruisers though and thats why you should play it with concealment build (dont ruin your chances, shooting at BBs if you are undetected. Surprise some cruisers instead, and learn to aim for opportunities. You usually have one chance (then they angle).

It is also fine if you shoot front and rear turrets at different times (so that you stay angled)

-Actually Amagi is thin (and not tall). superstructure is not that huge. Thats why most shells hit the belt or superstructure. You cant tank Yamato/Mushashi though

If you cant make it work, dont bother proceeding further, because that playstyle is the bread and butter on all BBs (Its a ship that teaches you all the good habits you need, unlike many others that get away doing stupid crap).

Izumo is way worse (and also plays different).

I know its annoying now that everyone plays T10s and you get horrible MM.