Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Wallet_Warrior

Computer Help Required Please

3 comments in this topic

Players
203 posts

Well I work in an Engineering office, we model things in 3D using AutoDesk AutoCAD 2017 (some use 2019, depends on license) and in addition to that we also film our tests and experiments in our laboratory in 4K and render the videos. The time taken was a massive bottleneck as I have been using a Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT in my machine, which is a Dell Inspiron and a standard 5,400 RPM Hard Drive. 

The brass gave me permission to upgrade the machine from:

4GB DDR3L 800MHz to 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz,

Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT to Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB,

3 TB Western Digital 5,400RPM HDD to (existing drive plus moving all programs and Windows) Kingston A400 480GB SSD.

The problem that I have is that when I tried to install the GTX 1060, it requires a 6pin power connector but the Dell PSU doesn't have ANY spare connections at all and I cannot even use a splitter to try and get a connector in because the PSU is only rated for 220W and the total power draw of the new specification would be 295W-310W. I can't even change the PSU as the Dell PSU is riveted into the tower chassis!

So now my plan is to cannibalise a guy who got fired's computer and my existing Dell computer so that I can have the following:

1. The Dell PC uses a proprietary motherboard, the new PC uses an ASUS H110M-R, so I will move the 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6400 CPU from the Dell PC to the new PC (which originally had a 7th Generation Intel Core i3-7100 CPU), and,

2. I returned the two Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB DDR3 1600 dimms that were going to go into the Dell PC back to the vendor and in return be sent two Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB DDR4 2400 dimms for the new PC, and,

3. The new PC has a Corsair VS450 PSU and it has a spare SATA power and spare 6-pin power cable so I can now install my Kingson A400 480GB SSD into that redundant SATA power cable and attach a new SATA data cable into one of the SATA ports on the motherboard.

The problem is I don't want to lose my programs from my current HDD on the Dell PC, so as the Dell PC and the PC I am moving into BOTH have Windows 10 licenses on their respective HDDs can I literally just swap the two HDDs over? Should I clone the HDD and move it to the SSD first? All my files that were on my HDD are already backed us on our networked NAS anyway but I don't want to spend two days reinstalling all the software and design packages on the current Dell PC.

Going to shoot myself in the face as I don't know if I can move the HDDs, can someone help me out here? Would appreciate it and if you're ever in Glasgow, there's a beer in it for you too. 

Thanks!

[SCRUB]
Players
6,948 posts
9,129 battles

Windows licenses on OEMs are pretty much always locked to a hardway key, so doing such extensive changes would more or less assuredly invalidate the Windows activation even if you could just swap the OS harddrives around (which I'm reasonable sure you can't due to registry conflicts that might arise, though I'm by no means an expert in that regard).

However, and this is the good part, as long as those licenses are valid and haven't been reactiveted too often (which seems unlikely considering the low cycling of hardware at your workplace) you should be able to reactivate them relatively easy, at worst requiring getting into contact with Microsoft authorization support for them to activate the license for you (which shouldn't be much of a hazzle but would obviously take time for them to respond and who knows how long that takes as I've never been forced to do that).

Since you're basically working in an IT related field however I'm fairly sure that your company should have something akin to a system adminsitrator whose job would be to know that, so I recommend getting a hold of that guy (if only because it also means the responsibility will shift to that guy instead of you sticking your neck out for trying things others told you on this forum).

If none of that works for some reason, the safest bet you could do is just cannibalize aforementioned PC for its case and spare PSU so that you could simply hook up the rest of your current workstation up into that and let whoever's responsible for IT stuff deal with the remaining headaches.

Players
203 posts
1 hour ago, Aotearas said:

Since you're basically working in an IT related field however I'm fairly sure that your company should have something akin to a system adminsitrator

:Smile_teethhappy: mate my work is a shambles, we have no unified IT policy nevermind an IT guy or something as fanciful as a System Administrator haha!

I honestly have no idea how we manage to turnover £30,000,000 a year with only 20 staff spread over two locations, literally using the cheapest computers available at the time they were bought to do the design, calculations and administration on!

Brass will happily spend £80,000 on a tensile testing machine but grumble at the £400 for a basic spec PC used to run it. Brass will happily spend £5,000 per year on a single Engineers' software licenses but refuse to allow him to buy a good specification PC to run it all on. 

Absolute madness but we get there in the end. 

I guess I will have to clone my current HDD, install clone onto SSD, insert SSD into new PC, try to boot, if it doesn't work then repair install, if that doesnt work then bite the bullet and do a fresh install.

God dammit. 

Sign in to follow this