Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

RPF good on BBs?

28 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
2,590 posts
7,066 battles

Nay.

Sure RPF is usefull on all classes, but you give up survivability or AA on BBs that are more valuable.

Being spotted most of time, it is not your job to detect DDs. Rather use plane to detect a DD in critical situations. Always try to fire on a DD when you have a chance and by doing that you help your friendly DDs in their knife fights.

• Cool 3

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,690 posts
13,130 battles

Nah.

But then again I generally don't use RPF as I can usually guess where a DD is by simply watching the minimap and predicting what I would do next in a DD.

• Cool 2

[I401]
Beta Tester
843 posts
7,463 battles

I use it on carriers only.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SCRUB]
Players
2,590 posts
7,066 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Nah.

But then again I generally don't use RPF as I can usually guess where a DD is by simply watching the minimap and predicting what I would do next in a DD.

Little off topic:

Currently my Z52 build is:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000011011001000000000119

I have been told that I should be using this:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011011000000000001119

or (imho viable for gunboat and not torpedoboat compared to the previous one):

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000000011011000000000001119

Thoughts?

[NED]
Players
4,020 posts
10,879 battles

The only viable selling point I can think off is to anticipate DD's who managed to break through. But that doesn't happen often, if it does it rarely works and MM awareness and not camping in the back easily counters that problem. I'd advice highly against RPF on BB's.

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles

NAH! Useless, unless you plan to go actively DD hunting all the time. Though I did witness a New York trying to hunt down a Minekaze the other day. Most amusing and very high on humor value, but ultimately futile. Survivability is more important to a BB.:cap_hmm:

[I401]
Beta Tester
843 posts
7,463 battles
14 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

NAH! Useless, unless you plan to go actively DD hunting all the time. Though I did witness a New York trying to hunt down a Minekaze the other day. Most amusing and very high on humor value, but ultimately futile. Survivability is more important to a BB.:cap_hmm:

Yes. I will buy a lot of Ovechkin containers to pimp out my Montana with the improved survivability expert.

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
Players
194 posts
9,552 battles
45 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Little off topic:

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with your build, although i use the RPF build. 

2 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Yay or Nay? Then Why?

What do you think Argosax? Should a BB use RPF? Do you plan on hunting down 40kts DDs in a 30kts BBs? You sailing in straight line a lot so you wanna minimize torp danger? 

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles
1 minute ago, kfa said:

Yes. I will buy a lot of Ovechkin containers to pimp out my Montana with the improved survivability expert.

Was thinking more along the lines of 4 point survivability skills such as AFT or Fire prevention actually. :Smile_facepalm:

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,050 posts
14,033 battles

Only bb it could somewhat work is one with radar. But then again i prefer FP

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles
Just now, Ysterpyp said:

Only bb it could somewhat work is one with radar

BB hunting Missouri? Oh well, yeah, that might work somewhat... But you'd need hydro too, maybe working in tandem with a Kurfurst?:cap_haloween:

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,050 posts
14,033 battles
7 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

BB hunting Missouri

Many dd's slips into Missouri Radar range, usually i go dark when waiting on reload , and if i don't i know a dd is keeping me lit up , which makes RPF redundant somewhat ..

This is also why i prefer accuracy mod over reload ,  to go dark and see if dd is in your concealment radius. 

BB hunting wont work unless all dd's of reds are dead.

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles
7 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

Many dd's slips into Missouri Radar range, usually i go dark when waiting on reload , and if i don't i know a dd is keeping me lit up , which makes RPF redundant somewhat ..

This is also why i prefer accuracy mod over reload ,  to go dark and see if dd is in your concealment radius. 

Yeeah, I concede the point. But I doubt it would prove more useful than almost any other 4 point skill tho. Well, "Air Supremacy" exempted, of course...:Smile_smile:

I wonder tho, there must be some poor sap who's actually taken it for a BB too (the AS)... We have a couple of fellows I suspect of being capable of doing that kinda thing in our Clan actually. Da*mn now you got me worried, I'm gonna have to check have to check it ASAP.:Smile_amazed:

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,050 posts
14,033 battles
1 minute ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeeah, I concede the point. But I doubt it would prove more useful than almost any other 4 point skill tho. Well, "Air Supremacy" exempted, of course...:Smile_smile:

i accidentally picked IFHE instead of Fire prevention on me bb captain once , man was i salty to reset skill points

• Funny 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles
2 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

i accidentally picked IFHE instead of Fire prevention on me bb captain once , man was i salty to reset skill points

Done that kinda thingy many times myself, incidentally this only happens on Fri or Sat nights. I wonder why that is... :cap_old:

• Funny 1

[I401]
Beta Tester
843 posts
7,463 battles
26 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Was thinking more along the lines of 4 point survivability skills such as AFT or Fire prevention actually. :Smile_facepalm:

And it was sarcasm to fit in this thread :cap_book:

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles
Just now, kfa said:

?? What sorcery is that? :Smile_amazed:

• Funny 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,050 posts
14,033 battles
15 minutes ago, kfa said:

Spoiler

:cap_book:

[TOXIC]
Players
1,002 posts
15,355 battles

Nope, it is a bad idea. You usually want to use RPF if you have a lot of close interactions with enemy DDs. But you also need a tools to deal with them, like good concealment, smoke, hydro or radar, to get the most from that skill. That's why RPF is very useful on DDs and CLs like Wooster and Mino, less useful on other cruisers and almost pointless in BBs. Unless you like to push very aggressively and be close to front line, RPF is a waste of points. Sure it could be useful at the later stages of the game with just few surviving ships but even in that case it is still very situational and those 4 points could be better used on other skills.    

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
142 posts
2,282 battles

Could have been useful on the Montana during Ranked Battles. However after the CV rework you will see carriers more often so nay for the future.

Random Battles will receive a soft limit on DDs next patch, see patch notes:
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0710-halloween/

When you are in battle you can click on the gear of the minimap. Switch on "Last known position" and "Ship names". This will make it very easy for you to see where the DDs are. Almost every battle all of them get spotted from the start. If not, and it is a Japanese DD missing, it will mostly like try to flank one of the sides. This is pretty rare.

2 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Little off topic:

Thoughts?

I would have used RPF as well. Z52 has pretty bad concealment so you want to avoid having to turn your guns towards the target when he is already shooting at you or already be on your way out before you get spotted. With its fast torpedo reload you can also easily torpedo smoke while using RPF as a guide of where to torp.

So I would have picked this one:

As a DD you are always a priority target so it is always the entire enemy fleet who will shoot you. Knowing the exact number doesn't make any difference, besides you should already know who will shoot you before you engaged the fight. Saving your guns or torp tubes can make a difference.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,055 posts
8,188 battles

In upcoming "Ranked Sprint" RPF will be very valuable, because it will give you a better chance to dodge Kamikaze torps.

• Cool 1

Players
782 posts
6,858 battles

It's good but not good enough.

On BB's you can use all 19 points on universally useful survivability + concealment skills. Then come stuff like BFT+AFT which will hopefully also be universally useful after the CV rework.

I see RPF as a skill for that first spotter line. Ideally you're not there in a BB -- not too far behind, but not quite in front.

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

No, there are better skills to take.
1) Play dds up to IJN t7 Shiratsuyu (trb not smoke).
You need to learn how to torp to be able to avoid torps effectively.

2)At the start of the match:
Count Radars on Both teams
Check divisions.Attention to dds in division.
Check dd number and type

3)Approaching the caps keep an eye out on the minimap
See what dds are spotted and where
Check which caps are being contested by unspotted dds.Make an educated guess as to what dd is in.
(When there are  shimas and gearings in enemy team and a cap is contested before your dd is in, you are safe-ish to assume its a shima because its faster than the gearing.)
Keep an eye out for what ships that belong to a division with a dd have been spotted and where. You are safe to assume that the dd will stick close to its mates.
Pay attention from where the torps are coming from.In relation to the positioning of your team and teams radars make a guess about whether he is gonna push and flank or retreat.
Learn the torp ranges of the dds and stay to a safe distance. (Gearing 16,5 // YueYang 13,5 // Shima 20 or 12, the rest assume 10,5).

4)Middle Game
Caps have been capped.
People have been forced to retreat.
Flanks have opened.

Pick a position that has another ship between you and the potential location of enemy dds.
Be at an angle that minimizes chances to eat a torp.
Keep an eye out for the location torps are coming from.
Check minimap to see the state of the caps and attacking and defending forces.
Make an educated guess as to whether a dd from the other side of the map is coming your way or not.

But most importantly, WASD is your [edited]friend.
And i repeat: You need to learn to torp to be able to avoid torps effectively.
Neither torps, nor HE spam should be an issue for any bb at medium range (15-17km).

Last but not least:
MANAGE YOUR DCPS AND DO NOT BE AFRAID OF TORPS.
Your belt has a great damage reduction that allows you to take up to 3 torps easy.
If you take them on the nose, you get more damage, but you also get saturated, which means less HE damage there.

Sign in to follow this