You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nipponsei

Lets talk Republique... The French Tier X BB

What is your opinion on the Republique?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. The Republique is:

• Fine as it is.
    • In need of a Rework.
    • NERF THIS BATCHIT CRAZY PIECE OF JUNK RIGHT NOW !@$%^&

71 comments in this topic

[FJAKA]
Players
1,913 posts
336 battles
16 hours ago, Nipponsei said:

So i wanted to discuss the French tier X Battleship the Republique and why, in my opinion, it shjucks monkey balls.

Lets start at the beginning, the early tiers of the French battleship line are all ships with loads of guns. I had no issues with the low tiers, in fact i found them quite enjoyable, especially the Lyon with its 16 guns.

Now comes the Richelieu at tier VIII which i thought i was not going to like, but i was wrong. I managed to do fine with it and i really didn't have any issues with the ship.

On to the Tier IX the Alsace, oh boy what a ship to behold. Lovely lovely ship, 12 guns, very fast with speed boost, turtleback armor making it harder on the enemies to citadel you and great secondaries to top it off. Yeah i really liked this ship and if the Republique was going to be anything like the Alsace then i would be very pleased. Unfortunately the Republique could not be more different.

So lets start the rant,

The Republique is supposed to be a "fast" battleship, this is supposed to be the gimmick of the French battleships or at the very least its promoted that way. Well it kind of is and it kind of isn't.

The Republique is reasonably fast for a battleship when sailing in a straight line with speed boost active. However the ship loses a tremendous amount of speed when making even the slightest of turns. Any A or D buttonpress will set back your speed from 30+ knots to well under 25. I've had this ship speed dip to a sad 23 knots when making a half turn and that was with the speed boost active. Although statistically it doesn't look half bad the ship feels like it goes to a complete standstill when turning. Combined with the second largest turning radius only beaten by the G. Kurfurst, which is a floating city block, the ship feels extremely sluggish.

Enough about speed, lets talk guns. The Republique is supposed to have awesome guns. Large caliber, good accuracy, great shell ballistics and a fast reload time. Well for some reason i cant get the guns to work. Either my game is bugged or i'am doing it wrong, or maybe it's just that this ship doesn't have great guns after all. So far i can make all the tier X battleships work in the game. I have no issues hitting ships or getting citadel hits. However, not with the Republique. Only if the enemy shows me that perfect broadside which becomes less of a common thing at the higher tiers, i manage to get those juicy citadels. I managed to score bounces on several different cruisers with angles that any other BB would penetrate, it has frustrated me so much that i have forced myself to load the HE almost all the time. On top of that it is supposed to have great accuracy, well for some reason i don't notice that at all, and before you all shout at me saying i can't shoot for shait, i have no struggles hitting targets with any of the other tier X BB's in the game. The reason why i find it difficult is likely due to the fact that this ship only has 8 guns, and when bow tanking you lose 50% of your firepower. Now to compensate for its lack of guns the Republique gets a "fast" reload time. Well... not so fast, just like the ship's speed the reload time is not as fast as you might think. With base upgrades its 21 seconds, that's only 5 seconds faster then most of the other tier X's, so in reality that might give you 1 extra volley in a 60 second shell-slinging contest with another BB. Also take in consideration that every other tier X is slugging 12 shells per volley while the Republique only throws 8. The only exception being the Yamato, but well yeah, its a Yamato, i'll give up 3 of my 12 guns any day of the week to get those 460mm guns. Adrenaline rush can help reduce the reload even more but this goes for the enemy as well. Sure you'll get like a 19s reload near the end of the game but the enemy has a 23s reload now so the difference is even smaller than before. The only thing that is really good about the Republique's guns is that with flags you get a 50% fire chance which makes this frenchie a great fire starter, although the fire chance is similar to that of the Conqueror, the Brit has 12 shells with 50% while the frenchie has to deal with 8.

All in all the TL:DR version,

I cant believe that the Alsace felt so much better in almost every way compared to the Republique. This is the first line in the game where the Tier X felt more like a downgrade, or rather a sidegrade instead of an upgrade to its tier IX counterpart.

The guns, which should be the Republique's selling point, feel terrible and i much rather play with the guns of.... well any other tier X battleship really... ALL of them feel more useful.

Republique:

Pros:

- Reasonably fast reload

- Fast as long a you move in a straight line

- Turtleback

- Great firechance

Cons:

- Only 8 guns

- Sluggish maneuverability

- Lack of guns

- Sensitive to HE

- Not enough guns

- Great accuracy my ASgard

- Its missing at least 4 guns

- Great penetration, pffft 

- It needs more guns

- Huge turning circle

- 404 GUNZ NOT FOUND

top 50%, 25, 10 and 5% playerss in t10 BBs have the best results in her and its their best WR/PR ship...so i know you dont want to hear it...but it is you not the ship

Players
5,053 posts
6,257 battles
5 hours ago, Azakeit said:

Let's be honest about GK, a lot of GK captains are secondary build but not using the 6th secondary upgrade and keep the MB reload upgrade, the GK has a 345 060 AP DPM.

Yes, because the secondary battery doesn't make up for main battery. You can use Legendary Upgrade though for best of both worlds at the cost of range.

[-WIP-]
Players
112 posts
14,528 battles
5 hours ago, cro_pwr said:

I've stopped reading at "Alsace is a great BB" since I have ~10 battles in her (bunch of them in Arms race so its not showing on my profile) and I'm already thinking of selling her.

Seriously ??? You think really what you say. Alsace pre-nerf was the best warship in Tier 9, now it stay a real good warship with 12 guns of 380, ok sigma was decreased at 1.6 and reload modified but now you have hight speed ,and huge montage of secondary who is more effective than IX German battleship, A quite good turtleback protection, who for me is pleasing.About concealment except the British BB, the Lion, he have 2th best detection range of his tier and his engine boost consumable who have the ability to surprising more one player :Smile_teethhappy:

Try again I think the feeling will come between u and your lovely ship  :Smile_honoring:

[BONUS]
Players
8 posts
2,460 battles
7 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

sluggish? one of the main perks of this ship is that its not sluggish lol. are you trying to manoeuvre around islands in caps if you think its sluggish?

Well that's exactly what I am trying to say, they sell this ship off as if it is fast/speedy/not sluggish but in practice it really is very sluggish, Unless you only move in a straight line, But you don't want to do that unless you want to eat torpedoes all day.

6 hours ago, cro_pwr said:

I've stopped reading at "Alsace is a great BB" since I have ~10 battles in her (bunch of them in Arms race so its not showing on my profile) and I'm already thinking of selling her.
That ship either can't hit #$%!  or when you actually hit something you deal 5k damage with 10 shells.

btw, your Republique is dealing 20k more avg damage then Alsace aka 95k>75k, so how in hell are guns on Alsace amazing and terribad on Republique?

Well then its probably the Arms race gamemode because I enjoyed the Alsace way way more. I never said the Alsace's guns were amazing but it doesn't really matter because you have 12 "average" guns. Now i haven't played the Alsace and Republique a whole lot but from the battles i have played (which are mostly random battles) I ended up with a higher personal rating on my Alsace then my Republique. Yes i deal more average damage in my Republique but that should be self explanatory, It is a Tier X after all. If it did the same or less damage it would be horrid. Also the damage done in the Alsace is mostly AP while in the Republique I switched to HE a for the majority of my shots because I was only getting 5k hits with these guns.

1 hour ago, CptMinia said:

The Republique as a ship is fine as it is, however I will admit I was disappointed when I saw it as the tier 10 for the french line. Honestly I'm not sure why WarGaming chose to go with an almost completely fictional design at tier 10, I was unable to find any information regarding a similar 2x4 french battleship design other than the Gascogne. They certainly had a couple choices, there was a planned version of the Alsace with 406mm 16inch guns which would make a better premium at Tier 9 than the Jean Bart. There is also the Super-Alsace and Champagne projects that they probably could have managed to fit at tier 10. As far as I am aware the Super-Alsace was obviously based on the Alsace except with the addition of a fourth turret at the rear with the proposed 406mm guns, adding an extra 4 guns. Meanwhile the Champagne was a 4x3 design mounting the 450mm guns developed by the french.  Although I've had a very hard time trying to get information on those two projects it does actually seem like the french did research these.

Well anyway this is basically just me rambling on, I'm still relatively happy with the Republique, but I don't understand why instead of buffing a Richlieu and Alsace to tier 9 and 10 with a silly gimmick, why did they not just give us an Alsace with 16" guns and a relatively unique and interesting T10 battleship? WarGaming seems to be very fond of copy-pasting models already in the game instead of actually adding genuinely unique and interesting ships into the game. Heck I mean the Mutsu, Ashitaka, Marblehead, Marblehead Lima, Diana, Diana Lima, Aurora, Admiral Makarov, Nueve de Julio... all these ships are basically copies of other ships in the game. I might as well add the Charlestone and West Virginia 41 in the list.

Basically, I don't think the problem lies with the ships, I think it has more to do with the way WarGaming is thinking really... lately it does seem quite unimaginative when it comes to adding ships into the game. Well anyway if you managed to read all this then thank you :)

I am no history buff but those proposed ships you mentioned do sound a lot more interesting to what we currently have.

54 minutes ago, veslingr said:

top 50%, 25, 10 and 5% playerss in t10 BBs have the best results in her and its their best WR/PR ship...so i know you dont want to hear it...but it is you not the ship

That may be so, but please tell me then how i should play this ship? Because i really enjoyed playing the Alsace and i am using the very same play style for the Republique and it's not working for me.

Lets look at it this way,

I played the pre-buffed Izumo and even though everyone was saying that ship was a turd I really wasn't bothered by it. I thought it played just fine. Once I got to the Yamato it felt like a major upgrade though.

When i played the Iowa or the Lion I had no issues with those ships either, they were just fine to me. Once i got to the Montana and Conqueror though it once again felt like an upgrade.

The only Tier IX I struggled with was the Friedrich der Grosse, I really didn't like that ship despite everyone saying it was really good. Now even tho i didn't like it, it doesn't mean i couldn't make it work. Then at Tier X the Grosser Kurfurst felt like an upgrade to me.

With the Alsace It didn't feel like I was playing an upgrade when I got to Tier X. I am struggling with the Republique. To me it feels like I am playing a Tier IX with a different play style, which i can't figure out, to the Alsace.

Players
240 posts
5,638 battles

I love it.

My Random stats for WR are terrible in her atm (just some really unlucky teams and only 47 games solo) but I am averaging 114k damage per game which isn't bad .... and until a really bad patch in Ranked I was on 70% WR and av 104k.

My only other comparable ship was my getting the GK in the German line, and after the constant trolling dispersion in those ships Alsace and Repub felt glorious in terms of accuracy... you will always get dodgy dispersion rolls in any ship though.

My only "Legitimate" complaint is that she could do with something like Hydro, or a Fighter place...or a Helo for that H pad - if nothing other to help spot torps and DDs.

I dislike the Legendary Module as it kills the range down to "pathetic" and I find I can reliably hit out to 26km for crits without it... with it on I'm almost always in range of Worcesters, and Repub doesn't like fire or ifhe at all.

• Cool 1

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,141 posts
14,885 battles
38 minutes ago, Nipponsei said:

That may be so, but please tell me then how i should play this ship? Because i really enjoyed playing the Alsace and i am using the very same play style for the Republique and it's not working for me.

I enjoyed both the Alsace and the Republique, but one thing that I certainly found was that the Alsace is good at rushing and holding positions whereas the Republique is good at kiting, running rings, and hitting from where people don't expect. The Alsace is inaccurate but she has a lot of guns and they mostly face forwards, this makes her very good at rushing into island positions with her secondaries and working her way out from there. The Republique conversely can't do the same thing but she has excellent turret angles both front or back which makes her very good at rushing the enemy to pressure them. As you have noticed she has a very thin skin by battleship standards so she needs to retreat often to heal something that she is fortunately very good at. Due to her excellent gun penetration, she is one of the battleships that remains effective against cruisers and battleships even at around 15-20 km. Her maneuverability isn't great, but neither is the maneuverability of the other tier X battleships and the Republique benefits from a very powerful engine which pushes her to top speed far faster than other battleships of her size. You just need to play her like a kiting cruiser instead of a Yamato.

[YASKA]
Players
993 posts
22,437 battles

For me, it was when I learned that Republique could be played as a full 100% secondary BB (same as,my Massachusetts & Gascogne): I watched several vids about that, incl. the one Pantzerknacker made. That's what made me ehthousiast for Republique grinding. Having full 100% Alsace (IX)...optimal config with 100% secondary build, 19-points skill-settings (same as for Gascogne & Massachusetts which I much like: do great credits and dmg + entertaining play asured!):

1) PT + PM
2) AR
3) BFT
4) Man. FC secondaries + IFHE + AFT

Full secondary focussed upgrades

Anyway, that would be MY personal reason for grinding for Republique (X). Reason: with all those IFHE-spammers around + the very many dangerous DD's I wanna shoot back (=ability to destroy them, before they destroy me, lol). So, that's my reason for grinding for 100% focussed seconadary build Republique (X)...a kind of BB that CAN go in & do close fightings. I don't like staying at some 22 kms away and spamming full 20 mins, so I prefer Republique with secondaries (100%) going in for close battles supported by HEAVY secondaries. Sounds like good entertainment to me, real fun to play, yeah others get a good shooting at yr Republique too for sure BUT yr secondary back-up for heavy guns will also have a real good chance sinking yr attackers (=real possibilities to actively fight back, close range)...fun...can go both ways! lol. THAT'S the kind of play I actually like: ACTION!!! (...Republique could possibly very well provide such for me at tier 10 as it seems, nice!!..according the vids I watched)...anyway: that's my personal (and ONLY) reason for grinding for Republique as I presently do: secondaries.

My question is: I see my Gascogne (VIII) + Massachusetts (VIII) doing very, nice(!!!), very good (=entertainment + fun + lots of credits + lots of XP + lots of rewards, almost all battles) with same full 100% secondary-builds...so question is..to be sure: am I on the right track here?...meaning (see above about full secondary build) CAN Republique me provide with same fun + entertainment + benefits (= I intend using special perma camo for Republique) at tier 10 as Gascogne & Massa provide to me allready?

(...I haven't yet fully Republique researched...am at fully researched Alsace (IX)...(have 19-points capt + optimal upgrades)so, I ask this question to players who already play the Republique (X) with full secondary build. Can any of you inform of yr experiences, ths for sharing yr constructive info, looking forward to read those! (=secondary-build-100%-only))

:cap_popcorn:

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
2 hours ago, robingf38 said:

Seriously ??? You think really what you say. Alsace pre-nerf was the best warship in Tier 9, now it stay a real good warship with 12 guns of 380, ok sigma was decreased at 1.6 and reload modified but now you have hight speed ,and huge montage of secondary who is more effective than IX German battleship, A quite good turtleback protection, who for me is pleasing.About concealment except the British BB, the Lion, he have 2th best detection range of his tier and his engine boost consumable who have the ability to surprising more one player :Smile_teethhappy:

Try again I think the feeling will come between u and your lovely ship  :Smile_honoring:

When you have 70 hits with BB guns, and 77k damage, then you know something went horribly wrong.
And no, I did not shoot at bow on Yamato, I was shooting at broadside targets resulting in either overpens or shatter / bounces...

So yea, 12 unreliable guns? No thank you, I'll rather take 6 reliable ones.

Beta Tester
4,370 posts
19,067 battles
12 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

What is Asashio gun build?!

Players
2,188 posts
3,836 battles
14 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

If you actually prefer Alsace guns over Republique guns, Großer Kurfürst is the best ship for you. Or that T7 Lyon. 

Same here.

I think Alsace is much better ship then Republique. I refer of course to pre-nerf Alsace, but even nerfed Alsace is better then this 2 turret-soft armor junk.

Beta Tester
2,628 posts
10,171 battles
1 minute ago, Hades_warrior said:

even nerfed Alsace is better then this 2 turret-soft armor junk.

Maybe a shotgun suits you well then. But there are a lot of people who really noticed the increase of accuracy when going from Alsace to Repu. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,188 posts
3,836 battles
6 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Maybe a shotgun suits you well then. But there are a lot of people who really noticed the increase of accuracy when going from Alsace to Repu. 

That could be true because Alsace sigma is nerfed. Dont know what sigma Republique have.

From my 25 battles in Rep I didnt notice that, only lack of fire power comparing to Alsace.

And they nerfed Alsace just to bring this new G...something TX ship which is basically Alsace TX.

Beta Tester
2,628 posts
10,171 battles
7 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

That could be true because Alsace sigma is nerfed. Dont know what sigma Republique have.

From my 25 battles in Rep I didnt notice that, only lack of fire power comparing to Alsace.

And they nerfed Alsace just to bring this new G...something TX ship which is basically Alsace TX.

Repu has 2.0 sigma, while Alsace has 1.6 in its current form. 

But yeah, some people actually rather have a 12-shell-shotgun than an 8-shell-rifle. It is a question of individual flavor and playstyle, as well as accuracy in their own aiming. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,177 posts
10,706 battles

Let me preface my comment by saying I grinded through the Alsace pre-nerf.

That important little tidbit mentioned, my impression at the time was that I would have zero reservations if the then Alsace were the tier X ship with just miniscule QoL adjustments to make her tier X worthy, maybe a change in secondary armament (say switching from 100mm to 127mm caliber) or performance (better HE pen or alternatively better base accuracy), or perhaps just a handful more HP ... minor things and most certainly not all the things I just mentioned combined as I already considered her to be better than all other regular tier IX BBs.

Which turned out apt judgement seeing as we're in the process of getting exactly that with the Bourgogne.

As for the Republique, she's unique in the way that she trades alpha for dpm. The guns are pretty reliable and have insane penetration (something that can often come at a disadvantage when firing at squishy cruisers, overpens galore), but the thing that really makes them work is the reload. For cruisers it's basically impossible to wiggle defensively against an Republique and maintain normal dpm output against it, by the time you wiggle back to get all guns on target the Republique will also have shells flying for your now juicy side, plus the ability to overmatch 30mm plating makes her a real nightmare to try and kite against as her shells just slice through most cruiser decks like a hot knife through butter.

She's bad at pushing and not as durable as other BBs, but as something that just lends firepower to the mix, oh boy can she get results.

• Cool 1

Players
2,188 posts
3,836 battles
24 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Repu has 2.0 sigma, while Alsace has 1.6 in its current form. 

But yeah, some people actually rather have a 12-shell-shotgun than an 8-shell-rifle. It is a question of individual flavor and playstyle, as well as accuracy in their own aiming. 

Yea Alsace had 1.8 sigma I think. But he was still very accurate ship with those 12 guns. I played him for about 90-100 battles pre-nerf. It was crazy how much damage he can  could deal against cruisers, even German BBs.

You are right, its the matter of personal preference.

And btw, I will not spend my currency on that new Alsace TX just because WG wants so. I do like Alsace but I will not dance how WG is playing music.

[NWP]
Players
1,463 posts
10,427 battles

She’s fine as she is. Granted I’ve only played 16 games in her as she’s a new addition to my port but she’s great fun. Real cruiser killer and can reliably hurt other BB’s and secondaries can out of a DD from getting to close. She’s not OP at all. 

Players
240 posts
5,638 battles
13 hours ago, Aotearas said:

She's bad at pushing and not as durable as other BBs, but as something that just lends firepower to the mix, oh boy can she get results.

This is the ship in one sentence.

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
16 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

exactly what I pointed out before.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,484 posts
6,974 battles

Since I got République, I almost stopped playing Montana altogether. It just does the same job but better. It doesn't have armor but speed is the best armor you need.

Montana made me rage several time at its unreliable 406 that really lacks penetration sometimes.

Montana hits hard and is accurate, but seeing 406mm shel bouncing on the now numerous cruisers with 30mm or more armor is very frustrating. Not even mentioning the shatters on BB that are just slightly angled.

But République, oh boiii those guns. I love them. They are somewhat derpy but do they hits hard. With proper aiming you are scary to any ship ingame, and that reload means no cruiser can recklessy try turning away as soon as he evaded your first salvo. 22 seconds+AR is a nasty combination.

It's not really fast when not under speed boost, that is true. But with it's without any doubt the most agile tier X BB. You can brawl anything. You outmaneuver GK, you outmaneuver Yamato turrets and can devstrike it, and you can't really outmaneuver Montana but will multi-citadel it at close range when it barely can do 30k to you.

République isn't very forgiving in the way that overextending will kill it very quickly. But on the other hand the guns are scary, and the ship is fantastic at kiting and punishing cruisers and BB alike. You just can't do a big mistake when there's a République in the other side.

It's fine as it is for me. Very well balanced and you can even choose between a survivability build (the safe option) or secondary build (option for players that knows what they are doing, though you should use CE on both).

Yamato with Legendary Upgrade and République are without a doubt my favourite BBs atm.

[M-NWB]
[M-NWB]
Players
4 posts
5,935 battles

played couple of games in the Republique  and   im feeling  like im  on ship full with gasoline,  for me at the moment its the worst BB.  burning to fast in my opinion. and the guns  are mediocre . if build secondaries   like i did  u get to close and burn in seconds..if u wanna play  from distance the dispersion  its quite big and the lack of guns...so i think it has his moments but its not a  reliable BB 

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,484 posts
6,974 battles

It's the current top pick in Clan Battle (with Bourgogne) and the ship is pretty much a monster that hits super hard. It lacks tankiness for sure due to being covered in 32mm, but the firepower, speed and AA suite clearly compensate this weakness.

It's not a ship for pushing hard like a GK and if you play badly you'll just fail in her, but in good hands she does an amazing job.

[COR3]
Players
621 posts
10,593 battles

Repubique is very strong as she is right now.

I admitt the gameplay from her to Alsace is very much diffrent, she can't push that hard but boy the Guns do hit Hard. Plus they are very fast compared to the Opposition.

Her major drawback is the Armor and it's weakness to concentrated HE Spam, but positioning her right and good kiting skill make  you go a long way in her.

She really doesn't need a Buff at all. She is fine as she is.

[CR33D]
Players
3,113 posts
15,992 battles
On 10/17/2018 at 12:29 AM, Nipponsei said:

The reason why i find it difficult is likely due to the fact that this ship only has 8 guns, and when bow tanking you lose 50% of your firepower. 

One of your problems: you do not bow tank with a repu. 

Players
1,801 posts
245 battles

How do play teh jean bart? Trying to do at least 80k avg damage with the fiesty sod, and the turret placement is just werid (never played a ship like it before).

[MIRAI]
Players
858 posts
5,924 battles
26 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

the turret placement is just werid (never played a ship like it before)

*cough cough* Richelieu *cough cough*