You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nipponsei

Lets talk Republique... The French Tier X BB

What is your opinion on the Republique?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The Republique is:

• Fine as it is.
    • In need of a Rework.
    • NERF THIS BATCHIT CRAZY PIECE OF JUNK RIGHT NOW !@$%^&

44 comments in this topic

[BONUS]
Players
8 posts
1,990 battles

So i wanted to discuss the French tier X Battleship the Republique and why, in my opinion, it shjucks monkey balls.

Lets start at the beginning, the early tiers of the French battleship line are all ships with loads of guns. I had no issues with the low tiers, in fact i found them quite enjoyable, especially the Lyon with its 16 guns.

Now comes the Richelieu at tier VIII which i thought i was not going to like, but i was wrong. I managed to do fine with it and i really didn't have any issues with the ship.

On to the Tier IX the Alsace, oh boy what a ship to behold. Lovely lovely ship, 12 guns, very fast with speed boost, turtleback armor making it harder on the enemies to citadel you and great secondaries to top it off. Yeah i really liked this ship and if the Republique was going to be anything like the Alsace then i would be very pleased. Unfortunately the Republique could not be more different.

So lets start the rant,

The Republique is supposed to be a "fast" battleship, this is supposed to be the gimmick of the French battleships or at the very least its promoted that way. Well it kind of is and it kind of isn't.

The Republique is reasonably fast for a battleship when sailing in a straight line with speed boost active. However the ship loses a tremendous amount of speed when making even the slightest of turns. Any A or D buttonpress will set back your speed from 30+ knots to well under 25. I've had this ship speed dip to a sad 23 knots when making a half turn and that was with the speed boost active. Although statistically it doesn't look half bad the ship feels like it goes to a complete standstill when turning. Combined with the second largest turning radius only beaten by the G. Kurfurst, which is a floating city block, the ship feels extremely sluggish.

Enough about speed, lets talk guns. The Republique is supposed to have awesome guns. Large caliber, good accuracy, great shell ballistics and a fast reload time. Well for some reason i cant get the guns to work. Either my game is bugged or i'am doing it wrong, or maybe it's just that this ship doesn't have great guns after all. So far i can make all the tier X battleships work in the game. I have no issues hitting ships or getting citadel hits. However, not with the Republique. Only if the enemy shows me that perfect broadside which becomes less of a common thing at the higher tiers, i manage to get those juicy citadels. I managed to score bounces on several different cruisers with angles that any other BB would penetrate, it has frustrated me so much that i have forced myself to load the HE almost all the time. On top of that it is supposed to have great accuracy, well for some reason i don't notice that at all, and before you all shout at me saying i can't shoot for shait, i have no struggles hitting targets with any of the other tier X BB's in the game. The reason why i find it difficult is likely due to the fact that this ship only has 8 guns, and when bow tanking you lose 50% of your firepower. Now to compensate for its lack of guns the Republique gets a "fast" reload time. Well... not so fast, just like the ship's speed the reload time is not as fast as you might think. With base upgrades its 21 seconds, that's only 5 seconds faster then most of the other tier X's, so in reality that might give you 1 extra volley in a 60 second shell-slinging contest with another BB. Also take in consideration that every other tier X is slugging 12 shells per volley while the Republique only throws 8. The only exception being the Yamato, but well yeah, its a Yamato, i'll give up 3 of my 12 guns any day of the week to get those 460mm guns. Adrenaline rush can help reduce the reload even more but this goes for the enemy as well. Sure you'll get like a 19s reload near the end of the game but the enemy has a 23s reload now so the difference is even smaller than before. The only thing that is really good about the Republique's guns is that with flags you get a 50% fire chance which makes this frenchie a great fire starter, although the fire chance is similar to that of the Conqueror, the Brit has 12 shells with 50% while the frenchie has to deal with 8.

All in all the TL:DR version,

I cant believe that the Alsace felt so much better in almost every way compared to the Republique. This is the first line in the game where the Tier X felt more like a downgrade, or rather a sidegrade instead of an upgrade to its tier IX counterpart.

The guns, which should be the Republique's selling point, feel terrible and i much rather play with the guns of.... well any other tier X battleship really... ALL of them feel more useful.

Republique:

Pros:

- Reasonably fast reload

- Fast as long a you move in a straight line

- Turtleback

- Great firechance

Cons:

- Only 8 guns

- Sluggish maneuverability

- Lack of guns

- Sensitive to HE

- Not enough guns

- Great accuracy my ASgard

- Its missing at least 4 guns

- Great penetration, pffft 

- It needs more guns

- Huge turning circle

- 404 GUNZ NOT FOUND

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 2

Players
534 posts

I think you are doing it wrong!?

I wont comment on most of your points , but the two things I picked up were the guns and turning you are not happy with?

Large turning circle is to be expected for such a large ship, when you turn in any direction the ship slows down this is just basic physics of fluid motion you encounter more drag.

The guns are really accurate and consistent performers, I think you are just not used to them!?

What is your setup on the ship??

Players
203 posts

Republique is OP, I can’t auto citadel it with my Yamato so it’s officially OP.

If anything the Republique needs less guns.

Nerf pls.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
312 posts
11,748 battles

Fine as it is. 

Guns do test my patience from time to time, but over the period of a battle they redeem themselves and I do cause a lot of chaos. I don't even have to use her in any particularly different way, she seems very fine for me. I also believe she is probably my highest performing battleship that I despise the LEAST, and given how much I b***h and moan about my battleships, that says a lot. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Players
1,797 posts
24,887 battles

I voted "Fine as it is" well balanced for the tier.

Beta Tester
2,060 posts
8,196 battles

If you actually prefer Alsace guns over Republique guns, Großer Kurfürst is the best ship for you. Or that T7 Lyon. 

Players
443 posts
5,895 battles

I agree with OP about this BB, I can'tplay with it and feeling that is a good design.

The ship is very large for no actual Reasons (2 turrets), if you compare the size of the turret with the Yamato, the Repu seems to have 900mm gun caliber...

With this huge size the turning circle and the overall handling is poor, thus negating the "speed gimmick" of the line.

The speed gimmick is flawed, and like the french cruiser line it seems that WG put underrated stock maximum speed on the ships just to justify the addition of the speed boost consumable (which make the ship acutally at the 'normal' speed they would have).

On the guns themselves, the penetration is very good and the accuracy… medium.

The biggest problem with the gun is their inability to punish a good Opportunity : If you see a BB or a CA turning and you know they'll be presenting a nice broadside or when you see a Mino smoke and stopping, you can prepare your salvo and aim right, but with only 8 guns the number of shells hitting will not ensure a critical result. The same case with a 12gun BB or a Yamato will result in a much higher dmg salvo due to shells and accuracy.

• Cool 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
607 posts
5,965 battles

Thank god I'm  not the only one that just can't  make this ship click. It feels very sluggish.

Beta Tester
2,060 posts
8,196 battles
25 minutes ago, Azakeit said:

The biggest problem with the gun is their inability to punish a good Opportunity : If you see a BB or a CA turning and you know they'll be presenting a nice broadside or when you see a Mino smoke and stopping, you can prepare your salvo and aim right, but with only 8 guns the number of shells hitting will not ensure a critical result. The same case with a 12gun BB or a Yamato will result in a much higher dmg salvo due to shells and accuracy.

Your shorter reload means that you can make use of a lot more unexpected opportunities though.

This ship has a different flavor than Montana etc, which is a good thing. If you want pure alpha, you can just play Monty.

[5D]
Players
388 posts
19,698 battles
4 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

Thank god I'm  not the only one that just can't  make this ship click. It feels very sluggish.

sluggish? one of the main perks of this ship is that its not sluggish lol. are you trying to manoeuvre around islands in caps if you think its sluggish?

• Cool 1

Players
443 posts
5,895 battles
16 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Your shorter reload means that you can make use of a lot more unexpected opportunities though.

This ship has a different flavor than Montana etc, which is a good thing. If you want pure alpha, you can just play Monty.

That's true, the good reload Added to the good turret traverse helps seize more shooting opportunities.

But keep in mind that even with a good reload the Shells per minute of the Repu is lower than GK, Conq and Monty, only Yamato has a worse RPM. If you consider a case where a BB shows you a broadside form 1min or 2min, all the others BB can dish out more dmg than the Repu.

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
607 posts
5,965 battles
18 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

sluggish? one of the main perks of this ship is that its not sluggish lol. are you trying to manoeuvre around islands in caps if you think its sluggish?

A ship that drops to 22-23 knots while turning and has an aircraft carrier  like turning radius, and his selling point is "speed" is sluggish 

Beta Tester
2,060 posts
8,196 battles
12 minutes ago, Azakeit said:

But keep in mind that even with a good reload the Shells per minute of the Repu is lower than GK, Conq and Monty, only Yamato has a worse RPM.

Monty has to use dispersion module on upgrade slot 6, leaving it at 324.000 AP DPM.

Repu with reload mod at that upgrade slot (and dispersion at slot 3) has 329.000 AP DPM.

(GK with secondary module sits at 315.000 AP DPM.

Conqueror with reload mod sits at 354.000 AP DPM, but has way worse penetration.)

Also don't forget that Repu can overmatch way more cruiser hulls than the rest of them (except Yamato).

Overmatching 30mm is actually a super valuable capability at TX.

If you consider a case where a BB shows you a broadside form 1min or 2min, all the others BB can dish out more dmg than the Repu.

Does that happen often to you ?

[CLADS]
Players
65 posts
6,480 battles

If a shell has not enough pen, it won't bounce but shatter, so a bounce isnt about penetration value but only the angle as far as i know

Players
443 posts
5,895 battles
29 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Monty has to use dispersion module on upgrade slot 6, leaving it at 324.000 AP DPM.

Repu with reload mod at that upgrade slot (and dispersion at slot 3) has 329.000 AP DPM.

(GK with secondary module sits at 315.000 AP DPM.

Conqueror with reload mod sits at 354.000 AP DPM, but has way worse penetration.)

Also don't forget that Repu can overmatch way more cruiser hulls than the rest of them (except Yamato).

Overmatching 30mm is actually a super valuable capability at TX.

Let's be honest about GK, a lot of GK captains are secondary build but not using the 6th secondary upgrade and keep the MB reload upgrade, the GK has a 345 060 AP DPM.

Conq way worse pen ? It has the third best pen with the 420mm (1st Yamy, 2nd Repu) and overall it's less than a 10% difference between them.

I prefer using a RPM base for a comparison than a DPM. On the same scenario of one of the TX BB against another target, Monty and Yamy have better accuracy so can land more shells (and also more shells per salvo) than the repu. GK, Conq and Repu have somewhat similar accuracy but GK and Conq have 12 shells salvo.

If you consider a case where a BB shows you a broadside form 1min or 2min, all the others BB can dish out more dmg than the Repu.

Does that happen often to you ?

Yeah it happens a lot, in most of the case I consider shooting 2 full salvos at an enemy BB (the first when i'm not spotted, the second before he angles), in that scenario, having a 21sec reload or a 26sec reload doesn't matter.

On a bigger scale (15min round) yeah the Repu might have a better DPM, but you're not looking at increasing your average dmg in the ship in your stats do you ?

[OSC]
Players
2,728 posts
10,052 battles

I've stopped reading at "Alsace is a great BB" since I have ~10 battles in her (bunch of them in Arms race so its not showing on my profile) and I'm already thinking of selling her.
That ship either can't hit #$%!  or when you actually hit something you deal 5k damage with 10 shells.

btw, your Republique is dealing 20k more avg damage then Alsace aka 95k>75k, so how in hell are guns on Alsace amazing and terribad on Republique?

Beta Tester
2,060 posts
8,196 battles
6 minutes ago, Azakeit said:

Conq way worse pen ? It has the third best pen with the 420mm (1st Yamy, 2nd Repu) and overall it's less than a 10% difference between them.

I think the fuse time is messing it up, so you get less citadels against BBs, meaning your "effective penetration" goes down.

I prefer using a RPM base for a comparison than a DPM. On the same scenario of one of the TX BB against another target, Monty and Yamy have better accuracy so can land more shells (and also more shells per salvo) than the repu. GK, Conq and Repu have somewhat similar accuracy but GK and Conq have 12 shells salvo.

Point is, that in reality Monty and Repu have similar DPM, while Monty is alpha king and Repu can use more opportunities.

So different flavors, perfect.

On a bigger scale (15min round) yeah the Repu might have a better DPM, but you're not looking at increasing your average dmg in the ship in your stats do you ?

As I said, it is a question of flavor.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
99 posts
7,433 battles

Republique is fine as it is.

Yes, the guns will troll occasionally, but it seems to be "flavor" of the line. Speed is meh, would have liked it to be somewhat faster, as even with speed boost, it cannot match Missouri / Iowa.

It took me a while to get used to Rep, but now I've found it to work for me. Which is something I can not say about Alsace.

Most reliable ships in the line are Normandie (12 guns & 30 kt speed at T6) and Lyon.

Rep's greatest issue is the 32mm armor everywhere, it will melt under cruisers fire.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
965 posts
17,194 battles

eeerm, eeermmmm.... best guns ever anyone?!

Beta Tester
2,060 posts
8,196 battles
7 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

eeerm, eeermmmm.... best guns ever anyone?!

Shells are almost as fast as Stalingrads.

And they hit a lot harder.

• Cool 1

Players
430 posts
4,806 battles

Don't you dare to touch my favorite ship in game - you already killed Hindi and Scharnhorst so don't you dare to do it on 3th ship bcs hat will be just too much ..

To OP  if you don't know how to play Repubilique than don't play it, go on Monty, Yammi, GK or even HMS Brainless aka Conqueror 

Republique maybe need small buff in regard to fight vs DD, Hydro cosum. would save it all or even plane or heli ( because it have Heli in hangar H on the rear of the ship  so I don't see why it doesn't have heli as some sort of special consum. )

• Cool 1

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,025 posts
13,618 battles

Republique

Pros:

• lolpen cruisers
  • Best nominal penetration
  • Decent accuracy
  • Excellent AP and HE shells
  • Formidable secondaries
  • Good speed
  • Troll spaced armor AND turtleback
  • Very nice base range

Cons:

• Thin skinned

For all your complains OP, you seem to have forgotten that the Republique is a BATTLESHIP. She is not meant to have excellent accuracy regardless, the Yamato and upgraded Montana being outliers and not the rule in this respect. She is an excellent battleship that needs no change and in many ways is actually overpowered. She needs no buffs.

• Cool 1

[RBMF]
Players
241 posts
5,901 battles

The Republique as a ship is fine as it is, however I will admit I was disappointed when I saw it as the tier 10 for the french line. Honestly I'm not sure why WarGaming chose to go with an almost completely fictional design at tier 10, I was unable to find any information regarding a similar 2x4 french battleship design other than the Gascogne. They certainly had a couple choices, there was a planned version of the Alsace with 406mm 16inch guns which would make a better premium at Tier 9 than the Jean Bart. There is also the Super-Alsace and Champagne projects that they probably could have managed to fit at tier 10. As far as I am aware the Super-Alsace was obviously based on the Alsace except with the addition of a fourth turret at the rear with the proposed 406mm guns, adding an extra 4 guns. Meanwhile the Champagne was a 4x3 design mounting the 450mm guns developed by the french.  Although I've had a very hard time trying to get information on those two projects it does actually seem like the french did research these.

Well anyway this is basically just me rambling on, I'm still relatively happy with the Republique, but I don't understand why instead of buffing a Richlieu and Alsace to tier 9 and 10 with a silly gimmick, why did they not just give us an Alsace with 16" guns and a relatively unique and interesting T10 battleship? WarGaming seems to be very fond of copy-pasting models already in the game instead of actually adding genuinely unique and interesting ships into the game. Heck I mean the Mutsu, Ashitaka, Marblehead, Marblehead Lima, Diana, Diana Lima, Aurora, Admiral Makarov, Nueve de Julio... all these ships are basically copies of other ships in the game. I might as well add the Charlestone and West Virginia 41 in the list.

Basically, I don't think the problem lies with the ships, I think it has more to do with the way WarGaming is thinking really... lately it does seem quite unimaginative when it comes to adding ships into the game. Well anyway if you managed to read all this then thank you :)

Players
430 posts
4,806 battles

Well all in all Republique is quite a unique BB,, in fact is most unique BB of all T9/10 BBs  with 21 sec reload on 431mm guns offer almost Battlecruiser style of gameplay  -- so what more unique than that you need ??????