You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DFens_666

Arms Race - a Failure or not?

Did you like the gamemode?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the gamemode?

• Yes
    • Yes, but i didnt like the way people played it
    • No
    • Never tried it

31 comments in this topic

[_MIA_]
Players
2,947 posts
5,366 battles

So, next patch Arms race will be removed from the game modes

Spoiler

Arms Race

In Update 0.7.10 we disable the Arms Race type of battles. Thank you for your involvement in testing the new mode and game mechanics, your feedback is very valuable to us. We’ll analyze every message received and try to incorporate your wishes in the future. We hope you liked Arms Race and are already waiting to see it back in the game! We, on our part, will make all efforts to roll out the new game with all remarked improvements incorporated.

What do you guys think of it?

Personaly i tried it a couple of times, and its even more frustration than randoms. Players ignoring the objectives in randoms is one thing - but you deliberately have to choose this game mode, so i cant understand why people didnt play the objectives? Was i unlucky? I dont know, but after some battles, i was fed up. On top of that, you usually had longer waiting times till the match started, even during "rush hour". Late in the evening we waited 12 mins once for a match to start, because the tier difference obviously.

Imo it would be a nice game mode, if it werent for the playerbase :cap_old:

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,042 posts
13,625 battles

I liked it, it was kind of unique and fun. It presents a problem though. Most ships are what they are as a result of years of balancing for randoms and ranked which just leads to certain ships outperforming others by far. Close ranged ambush killers and high DPM ships like the Minotaur and Harugumo just benefits from the game modes so much whereas long ranged ships like the Henri just becomes irrelevant whereas ships that typically do area control such as the likes of the torpedo destroyers suffer as critical areas are always changing.

• Cool 3

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,554 posts
5,519 battles

Weirdly I really enjoyed it, but didn't really play it that much.

Partly because you can't grind LM in it, but mostly because when I logged in I'd usually forget it even existed.

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles

i enjoyed it but because of grinding unique upgrades couldn't play more

Beta Tester
246 posts
8,131 battles

WG whoopsie, for a game built to keep you coming back by being full of macro and micro progression, no progression available = predictable result.

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,336 battles
2 hours ago, dasCKD said:

I liked it, it was kind of unique and fun. It presents a problem though. Most ships are what they are as a result of years of balancing for randoms and ranked which just leads to certain ships outperforming others by far. Close ranged ambush killers and high DPM ships like the Minotaur and Harugumo just benefits from the game modes so much whereas long ranged ships like the Henri just becomes irrelevant whereas ships that typically do area control such as the likes of the torpedo destroyers suffer as critical areas are always changing.

I liked it because it was fun and most of the ppl I met in those battles, were also having fun. It definitely has problems, but so does the other game modes. I find it a bit problematic too for some ships (Henri, Hindy ect) but I did not manage to play enough battles in it to be sure, that you cannot get the most of those ships with the bonuses. I learned that DDs were the sweet spot and some low detection cruisers.

It was unique, fun and a welcome option to mess around and other players were eased up.

[JRM]
Players
690 posts
12,325 battles

Played 2 battles and that was it, its already an arcady game (but in a good way) and this just made it 2 arcadey for my taste

• Cool 2

Players
26 posts
4,884 battles

I did not like it. Played a few games mostly for the reason of them not registering in the stats so the pressure was off.
I don't like the even more arcady direction this would take the game. I would be happier to play more historical related stuff like big operations in Battlefield compiled to warships.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,728 posts
9,874 battles

Didn't bother with it at first, as it looked like a DD fiesta and I only have one T10 DD.

Then I've heard it was only a test, so I decided to spend my time in other more profitable modes.

[SCRUB]
Players
558 posts
10,584 battles
4 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Personaly i tried it a couple of times, and its even more frustration than randoms. Players ignoring the objectives in randoms is one thing - but you deliberately have to choose this game mode, so i cant understand why people didnt play the objectives?

Pretty much this. It can be a ton of fun and a nice way to relax from Ranked/CB/Randoms/etc. if it weren't for people who straight up ignore buffs, sails to the border, ignores the cap circle and in general have no idea how to play this mode. The fact that you can't get the legendary grind done and you don't get any achievements is another downside. I tried grinding some T9s there, but the queue times are longer and most of the time (even in peak hours) it's not a 12v12. I swear to you, last weekend I did a 3v3 and some 5v5 on a Saturday.. felt like a waste of flags and camo so I gave up and went back to Randoms

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,607 posts
5,047 battles

If I'd had more time available, I would have given the mode a try; as it was, I didn't have spare time available to mess about in a mode that didn't contribute to mission progress...

Players
877 posts
7,720 battles

Tl; dr: I wouldn't call it a failure per se, at least not a complete one.

I appreciated it as an intriguing and creative idea in principle and the whole arcady-ness did not turn me off, which was an initial concern.

However, I would much rather have  played this in low tier ships. Especially German front torp DDs. Since I dislike high tier gameplay, that was a big minus from the start, especially with the ridiculous new IJN gunboats and more or less unintentionally OP USN HE spammers.

It was pointed out to me that a Tier IV Arms race would worsen Tier V matchmaking. Also, one of the WG representatives said they hoped to "take some pressure off of Tier VIII" or words to that effect. To that, I can only say if you want to fix the matchmaking on any given tier - and boy, does Tier VIII ever need fixing - then fix that tier's matchmaking, please. Don't invent more top tier game modes and kinda sorta hope the improvement just happens as a side effect. Just imagine what Yoda or the Karate Kid sensei would say to that kind of approach.

And next, I decided to try the new mode on the live server, where it turned out that surprisingly, the waiting times are a lot longer than they had been on the test server. Found out that although many Tier X players liked the Arms Race in principle, they preferred other modes because they could not grind their legendary upgrades in Arms Race.

Now since this causality seemed fairly open and shut, I firmly expected WG to just do a quick mini update over night and fix it for them and let them grind their upgrades in Arms Race, but no such thing happened. Can't imagine that kind of change being very complicated on the technical side so that really leaves me wondering.

• Cool 2

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,972 posts
5,450 battles

Was enjoyable. 

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

The number of people voting "never tried it" is amazing.

Lack of communication, lack of interest because no possibility of grinding the leg upgrades?

WG should have sold this new mode by offering for a certain time really awesome rewards for trying it out; that would have brought a lot of people.

Interesting though.

• Cool 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,947 posts
5,366 battles
1 minute ago, elblancogringo said:

Lack of communication, lack of interest because no possibility of grinding the leg upgrades?

WG should have sold this new mode by offering for a certain time really awesome rewards for trying it out; that would have brought a lot of people.

Interesting though.

Yes, i didnt expect it to be so much actually.

WG could have made a popup ingame some time after it went live, for ppl who didnt try out arms race till that moment, asking, why they didnt play it. But would have been to easy i guess? :cap_old:

As i said, the waiting time even in the evening was quite long compared to randoms, so the "proposed" fix for T8 MM could not really be happening (but ofc WG can pull the data to see how it went).

But its really interesting to know :cap_like:

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,983 posts
4,968 battles
59 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Interesting though.

Could not be bothered, a grind mode that will not let me grind anything? 0 sense.

It also reminded me: the one sided landslide games would be even quicker with this bonus approarch so, not interested at all.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,198 posts
6,762 battles

I liked it on principle of it being something else to play. But it not counting for several missions (and also no achievements IIRC?) kinda made me not play it.

I'm barely playing the game as is, so I have to be efficient whenever I do play, and playing a mode that does not give me the most progress is a waste of time for me personally. But I felt that especially the gamemode not counting towards the legendary modules, near nobody I know wanted to even try the mode out...

Players
312 posts
11,748 battles

An incredibly fun game-mode. Yet the inability to unlock certain items which I've been working for recently, I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wished. 

• Cool 1

[BG-EU]
Players
59 posts
11,908 battles

Played it twice, fun diversion but since it didn’t help with grinding legendary modules I moved back to regular random. 

[ITA]
Players
438 posts
7,617 battles

Never played. I can't play the game as often as i would like to due to RL.

And when i can i prefer to play real ships, so i tend to stay away from tier X.

Having said that, i don't like the approach of th game mode itself. Higly unrealistic.

Players
761 posts
6,661 battles

It sounds like it needs to be a Tier VIII activity to allow people to progress without constantly being lowtier and matched against Tier X ships. It also sounds very gimmicky and like the Halloween events and their kind, I don't really bother with that sort of thing unless there's something really valuable to be obtained from it. 

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,074 posts
14,084 battles

i like it for stock grind on T9 ships, because of the no stats (Hope they keep it this way).

When they implement the legendary modules and mission with it. i would play more ,

but since lots of missions and campaigns requires achievements like fireproof , high cal, ect . I don't know if they could actually implement it at all

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,809 battles

I tried it once.. or rather.. I selected the game mode, went into the queue, after 3 or 4 mins, no battle (didn't seem like a shortage in the waiting list), gave up on the basis that life is too short. Didn't bother after that.