Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blackeon

Torpedo aiming - why does your target not switch when using it?

15 comments in this topic

[BOOF]
Players
110 posts
2,908 battles

Never understood why the UI is designed this way.

If you are using guns and you shift your view completely away from the target to another enemy your aim shifts with it. But do the same while in torpedo view and this does not happen, you have to manually select X or shift from guns back to torpedoes.

Why? Really catches you out in a tight situation.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,234 posts
7,065 battles
18 minutes ago, Blackeon said:

If you are using guns and you shift your view completely away from the target to another enemy your aim shifts with it. But do the same while in torpedo view and this does not happen, you have to manually select X or shift from guns back to torpedoes.

Tell you what,  i usualy use the x button on every target even when using the guns. It's just just a matter of getting used to especialy as DD main. I for example would be very irritated if WG would change it. I would rather suggest switching targets only by pressing x even when using the guns. :cap_yes:

• Cool 3

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles

My guess: Torp lead is much greater than gun lead. Way more often you find yourself pointing way off of the ship you are aiming at and if it would autoswitch to something else in that general direction, it'd mess up the whole indicator.

• Cool 9

[SWTP]
Players
270 posts
5,648 battles
3 minuty temu, Riselotte napisał:

My guess: Torp lead is much greater than gun lead. Way more often you find yourself pointing way off of the ship you are aiming at and if it would autoswitch to something else in that general direction, it'd mess up the whole indicator.

This^ Try to aim with Sims 9.2 torps doing 49 knots at something fast. Well over 90* angle.

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
4 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

This^ Try to aim with Sims 9.2 torps doing 49 knots at something fast. Well over 90* angle.

I just throw them at where I guess enemies might be, because at 9 km, betting on a target continuing on its course for that long is sketchy and I torp pretty much on reload. I consider them area denial seamines.

[SWTP]
Players
270 posts
5,648 battles
1 minutę temu, Riselotte napisał:

I just throw them at where I guess enemies might be, because at 9 km, betting on a target continuing on its course for that long is sketchy and I torp pretty much on reload. I consider them area denial seamines.

Me too. It was just an extreme case example, those are :etc_swear:mines, not torps really :Smile_teethhappy:

[BFS]
Beta Tester
753 posts
4,575 battles
23 hours ago, Riselotte said:

If I have multiple sets to fire I'll put one set at the predicted location (taking into account if the ship is turning), another set 'long' and another set 'short'.   This can't be done with DDs with only one set though - the Kidd and Cossack come to mind.

I will usually manually select the target using the 'X' but there are times that the ship I want to target is not selected - usually when there are multiple targets in the area.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
On 10/13/2018 at 5:06 PM, Blackeon said:

To answer "why" - it's most likely because of the RIDICULOUS amount of lead needed for torps on middle to long ranges, coupled with lack of "vertical" aiming (you aim torps in a strip on the water, not at a point in the sea). Automatic detection of your target requires the game to guess what ship you are thinking about - and for guns it's just much easier. When you aim your guns, the game can help you and make your life easier. Trying to give you similar solution for torps, with comparable sensitivity etc. (there actually is a system, I think, it's just MUCH less sensitive) would probably have the opposite effect - the game would misjudge your intentions on regular basis, making the thing frustrating rather than helpful.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
On 10/13/2018 at 5:39 PM, Riselotte said:

This doesn't really work for torp-focused ships, though. The torpedo indicator is a very useful tool but it's no oracle. "If they do nothing, they'll be there. Now, what are the chances that they WILL do something and what might it be (and where will it put them)" - that's the kind of reasoning you usually need and the torpedo indicator is a good place to start. Also, it's not uncommon for people (especially people who weren't torped yet this match) to be very predictable, including "steaming in a straight line full ahead" predictable, especially if they find themselves out of position and it's clear where they are going. An unaccounted for presence of a DD on their flank can give them a VERY rude awakening...

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
10 minutes ago, eliastion said:

This doesn't really work for torp-focused ships, though. The torpedo indicator is a very useful tool but it's no oracle. "If they do nothing, they'll be there. Now, what are the chances that they WILL do something and what might it be (and where will it put them)" - that's the kind of reasoning you usually need and the torpedo indicator is a good place to start. Also, it's not uncommon for people (especially people who weren't torped yet this match) to be very predictable, including "steaming in a straight line full ahead" predictable, especially if they find themselves out of position and it's clear where they are going. An unaccounted for presence of a DD on their flank can give them a VERY rude awakening...

You'd be the first person to tell me that Sims gets played around its anaemic torp power. So, what?

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

You'd be the first person to tell me that Sims gets played around its anaemic torp power. So, what?

Where have I ever mentioned Sims? I explicitly referred to torp-focused DDs - so the first person to tell you that Sims gets player around her torps would be yourself if you think I referred to her :Smile-_tongue:

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
Just now, eliastion said:

Where have I ever mentioned Sims? I explicitly referred to torp-focused DDs - so the first person to tell you that Sims gets player around her torps would be yourself if you think I referred to her :Smile-_tongue:

My post referred to Sims. You quoted it. If you don't refer to Sims, why quote me as if it was somehow in response to it?

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

My post referred to Sims. You quoted it. If you don't refer to Sims, why quote me as if it was somehow in response to it?

Well, you suggested throwing torps blindly... somewhere. Into the general area of enemy operation. And I just pointed out that it doesn't really work, save for some very specific circumstances. When you do that it Sims it might not hurt that much because the torps are less relevant anyway and any lucky torp hit is basically a bonus.

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
1 minute ago, eliastion said:

Well, you suggested throwing torps blindly... somewhere. Into the general area of enemy operation. And I just pointed out that it doesn't really work, save for some very specific circumstances. When you do that it Sims it might not hurt that much because the torps are less relevant anyway and any lucky torp hit is basically a bonus.

I stated I throw them regardless of indicator at where I suspect enemies might be (at least when the torps arrive) with Sims and that the aiming indicator is pretty pointless, because the fewest ships stay on course for this long. Occasionally, yes, they do, but very rarely. In most ships with decent torps, no, that's a bit silly, but with Sims, you can, because noone cares about the torps and you reload them within 72 seconds or so anyway. So, you pointed out it doesn't work save for some circumstances, one of which is what you replied to.

[SWTP]
Players
270 posts
5,648 battles

Do not underestimate Sims torps. {and some BB captains) I had (rare though) games with close to 10 hits! Not much damage, but flooding DOT stacks nicely with fires. Ppl overturn often when dodging them and they will sometimes catch one because of surprising slooooowness of those mines.

Sign in to follow this